Celtic’s Dubai Trip - player covid positive ( merged )

His name is

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• John Findlay

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Here's Nicola Sturgeon's full comments for anyone who missed it (like me)..........  

Not sure who she is going to get into trouble with, who’s running the country ffs. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure who she is going to get into trouble with, who’s running the country ffs. 

I know - think it was a light hearted comment before commenting on Donald Trump's potential visit to Scotland.   I just don't understand why the borders are still so open though tbh,  should be based on essential travel only (and with essential actually meaning essential).   Whether Celtic, Trump or all the other flights happening at the moment,  I just don't get the logic.   Good to see her have a dig at Celtic though!

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

I know - think it was a light hearted comment before commenting on Donald Trump's potential visit to Scotland.   I just don't understand why the borders are still so open though tbh,  should be based on essential travel only (and with essential actually meaning essential).   Whether Celtic, Trump or all the other flights happening at the moment,  I just don't get the logic.   Good to see her have a dig at Celtic though!

It was. 
It’s up to Westminster to close the borders properly, should’ve happened last March. 
Elite sport shouldn’t be allowed to train abroad either. 

complete control
1 hour ago, coatbridgejambo said:

Imo the SG will not want to upset a large portion of their voters so they will hold the carpet up while liewell sweeps it under. 

your bang on

Imo the SG will not want to upset a large portion of their voters so they will hold the carpet up while liewell sweeps it under. 

16 minutes ago, complete control said:

your bang on

When the SG brought in their anti-sectarian stuff a few years back it was continually attacked by Celtic/Green Brigade types, yet the SNP still swept all before them at the polls.

Equating the SNP with some sort of Celtic influenced cabal is pretty paranoid, imo.

The SG will let the footballing authorities deal with this, but if any obvious breaches of lockdown/law in this country then nothing can help Celtic.  As I see it, at least. 

Agreed

Will be filed beside the Nike conference

1 hour ago, Gmcjambo said:

Surely the SG has jurisdiction over the SFA.

Wee krankie passing the buck.  Will probably try and blame boris!!

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I wonder if this is their intention?... in the hope that the SG says " enough is enough, football is now shut down!" Cue the SPFL 'voiding' the season. 10iar still on, we spend another season in the Championship. (Apologies if this has already been suggested... cannae be arsed reading the previous 6 pages.)

Regarding any hypothetical voiding, I doubt we'd be kicking off a new season in the Championship. Several Premiership clubs are reliant on TV and prize money. This would no doubt be halved and without a league sponsor, the kitty is miniscule. 

Several of the top flight would then be in a critical state (with a couple close to that already). 

The buzzwords from last year were "take your medicine" and these would get rammed down their throats - with joy! 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Null and void isn’t an option because of all the money that would need to be returned. That was the primary reason given last season. It hasn’t changed, the money would have to be given back if we null and void.

We had to give TV money back for ending the league early I’m sure anyway?  

7 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Surely the SG has jurisdiction over the SFA.

Wee krankie passing the buck.  Will probably try and blame boris!!

No, they most certainly do not. It is for the Government to make the laws; it is for the Police, the Procrator Fiscal and the Courts to enforce and adjudicate. Having said that, there is a bit of wordplay going on - clearly the Scottish Government agreed that training camps are acceptable because if they are not, Sturgeon would have said so in her statement. It is obvious that Celtic asked the question of the Government and were pointed in the direction of or have been given direct advice. Whatever we think of Celtic, those in charge are not daft and they will have it in writing. The stuff about bubbles is just further deflection; just how many flights and hotels have Celtic been on and stayed at already this season on their European travels?  If Sturgeon and Swinney were smart they would have kept their mouths shut or made more neutral statements (eg we have been made aware of this and seeking to ascertain the full facts) but that's not the way they appear to work.    

6 minutes ago, Shanks said:

We had to give TV money back for ending the league early I’m sure anyway?  

Correct, and it still seems to be the case. Payments that are usually paid to clubs in November have yet to be handed out... SPFL said it was something to do with their accounts not being signed off. All very dubious.

Clearly clubs were not told about repaying SKY, BBC & BT before concluding 'that' vote... when Dungcaster was obviously well aware. Consequently, I think final placement winnings were paid out minus what the SPFL had to give back. But this is an issue that is obviously still ongoing.... unless someone can correct me. One thing is certain, there's far more being kept out of the media than there should be!

3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Correct, and it still seems to be the case. Payments that are usually paid to clubs in November have yet to be handed out... SPFL said it was something to do with their accounts not being signed off. All very dubious.

Clearly clubs were not told about repaying SKY, BBC & BT before concluding 'that' vote... when Dungcaster was obviously well aware. Consequently, I think final placement winnings were paid out minus what the SPFL had to give back. But this is an issue that is obviously still ongoing.... unless someone can correct me. One thing is certain, there's far more being kept out of the media than there should be!

That is certainly the way I remember it, calling the league didn’t mean we got to keep all the tv money.

I’m also not convinced that if the season is null and void that ALL the tv money for the season has to be handed back, that sounds like scaremongering crap from last season.

43 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

I think even if there is a break the leagues could be completed playing each other once at home and once away.

Premiership virtually finished as it stands then. We have 8 games to play. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

F1 driver Lando Norris is another who has tested positive following a holiday in Dubai

12 minutes ago, Shanks said:

That is certainly the way I remember it, calling the league didn’t mean we got to keep all the tv money.

I’m also not convinced that if the season is null and void that ALL the tv money for the season has to be handed back, that sounds like scaremongering crap from last season.

They are contracted to provide x number if games for tv. They would have to forfeit on a pro-rate basis for ending the leagues early. Same as last season. Problem with cash is that they  get a chunk of it upfront every season so effectively getting paid in advance so if they finish early there could be a liability due. 

Ex member of the SaS

Should a number of Celtic players come back with Covid I wonder if they will give the points to their opponents? Or will they fudge it to allow them to postpone?

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

They are contracted to provide x number if games for tv. They would have to forfeit on a pro-rate basis for ending the leagues early. Same as last season. Problem with cash is that they  get a chunk of it upfront every season so effectively getting paid in advance so if they finish early there could be a liability due. 

Yes but my point is that to a TV company it doesn’t matter if the league is voided or if tainted titles are handed out.  

I do find it funny though, we were all raging about the leagues getting called early last season but we would all be raging this season if it was null and void :lol:  

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Boris said:

When the SG brought in their anti-sectarian stuff a few years back it was continually attacked by Celtic/Green Brigade types, yet the SNP still swept all before them at the polls.

Equating the SNP with some sort of Celtic influenced cabal is pretty paranoid, imo.

The SG will let the footballing authorities deal with this, but if any obvious breaches of lockdown/law in this country then nothing can help Celtic.  As I see it, at least. 

Especially as the FM is the elected representative for the area encapsulating their bigoted cousins.

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, Gmcjambo said:

Here's Nicola Sturgeon's full comments for anyone who missed it (like me)..........  

Can someone put “OR GO TO DUBAI” under that “stay at home” 😂 slogan.....its above my pay grade.

highlandjambo3

Never seen those two words highlighted below used so close together when discussing cellic fans 😂

VvSTpvjg_x96.jpg

This is quite a rebuke for Celtic. The “hard work” line that the club has tweeted a few times clearly isn’t washing with fans or the SNP. If the decision makers are on their game, they don’t fly. It’s that simple. That’s even if Bolingoli hadn’t happened.

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, Shanks said:

It’s not scaremongering at all, if its declared that it didn’t happen then tv companies would rightly be legally due their money back, as would season ticket holders. 
It can’t be voided. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Never seen those two words highlighted below used so close together when discussing cellic fans 😂

VvSTpvjg_x96.jpg

This is quite a rebuke for Celtic. The “hard work” line that the club has tweeted a few times clearly isn’t washing with fans or the SNP. If the decision makers are on their game, they don’t fly. It’s that simple. That’s even if Bolingoli hadn’t happened.

He’s got to be trolling these ***** 😆

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Yes but my point is that to a TV company it doesn’t matter if the league is voided or if tainted titles are handed out.  

I do find it funny though, we were all raging about the leagues getting called early last season but we would all be raging this season if it was null and void :lol:  

It does though because the TV company could ask for all that money back if it’s null and void. 

Well if this was Hearts you can Guarantee that there would have been an uproar 

but besides that what about the season ticket holders at Parkhead what do they think, if this cost somewhere in the region of 100-120k would a better spend of this money not be better going to rebating concessionairy ticket holders an amount ,given that it’s the supporters who part funded the trip in the first place  

through ST Sales  

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It does though because the TV company could ask for all that money back if it’s null and void. 

But could they? I get them being 'refunded' for games that have not been played/broadcasted... but games that have already been shown will have been paid for by subscriptions or the like by fans and pubs etc, whether the season is voided or not.

I've really got no clue either way (and you may well be right), but I would think as long as the games have been paid for and subsequently shown, it wouldn't matter... almost like watching a 'friendly' or a naff pre-season tourney.

We've got Celtic claiming government permission and the SG denying this

Spin clearly from both sides to deflect the critics

Celtic might well have asked about the trip and been told if it does this and this it will meet the requirements laid down however things have changed and they frankly have chosen to ignore those changes...flying out when they knew change was coming within 24 hours just cocks a snot at those left behind

They knew what they were doing and ignored the realities

The SG however are simply reacting to media pressure by making statements trying to avoid their critics and you have to ask what were the footballing authorities doing in terms of not even having a quick word with Celtic and asking them is this really a good idea though they may well have received flak for even asking that question.

Losing the old firm match has caused all sorts of critics within their club to ask questions about the trip...after all who wants to see the losers getting away from it all ....had they won I'm not sure this would have been such an issue but it gave ammunition to many.

The reality is there is nothing to stop them going to Dubai for the right reasons and I've said it before why are all those Celebs not getting flak for claiming these trips are for business when clearly they have gone on holiday...come on Nicola lets hear about them as well.

It however is about perception and  on that front Celtic have lost the argument no matter what they do or say now.

I doubt they will come home early to avoid accusations of admitting being in the wrong 

Nicola of course is looking for easy targets to take the pressure off her whether her speculation is right or wrong...this will help for a couple of days

3 hours ago, coatbridgejambo said:

Think that has been proven to be nonsense

Running isn't possible in cold weather 

Hardly surprising. He was one of them jumping up and down that they deserved the title.

Nice own goal at the weekend btw, prick. 😁

avhudtheteeshirt

Running isn't possible in cold weather 

So Celtic are given a Dubai break because they can't train indoors in Scotland???

Sounds like they are not abusing the laws, they are throwing them in everyone's face!!!!!

4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Celtic might well have asked about the trip and been told if it does this and this it will meet the requirements laid down however things have changed and they frankly have chosen to ignore those changes...flying out when they knew change was coming within 24 hours just cocks a snot at those left behind

The SG however are simply reacting to media pressure by making statements trying to avoid their critics and you have to ask what were the footballing authorities doing in terms of not even having a quick word with Celtic and asking them is this really a good idea though they may well have received flak for even asking that question.

Losing the old firm match has caused all sorts of critics within their club to ask questions about the trip...after all who wants to see the losers getting away from it all ....had they won I'm not sure this would have been such an issue but it gave ammunition to many.

The reality is there is nothing to stop them going to Dubai for the right reasons and I've said it before why are all those Celebs not getting flak for claiming these trips are for business when clearly they have gone on holiday...come on Nicola lets hear about them as well.

It however is about perception and  on that front Celtic have lost the argument no matter what they do or say now.

I doubt they will come home early to avoid accusations of admitting being in the wrong 

Nicola of course is looking for easy targets to take the pressure off her whether her speculation is right or wrong...this will help for a couple of days

As a public we've all been asked, continually, to act responsibly. Celtic have failed miserably (and on more than one occasion) - no matter what they say or say they were told. FFS, what were they thinking? Why did the SPFL/JRG not intervene? 

After everything that has gone on with Celtic/SPFL and the SG... I'm surprised Scottish football is still up-and-running.

If this was ANY other club.......

14 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

You ignore the context.

Some media interest in a major football story. Not really something the Government is too involved in. They are quite busy with a major public health emergency. 

Nicola Sturgeon showed some reluctance to get involved today. She is pretty polite in answering questions from the media at her briefings. She didn't make a statement. She was asked a question. 

And its blindingly obvious that this seems a strange thing to do. 

But Celtic have a plan and a schedule to win 10 in a row. The Dubai trip is an important part of that. 

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

But could they? I get them being 'refunded' for games that have not been played/broadcasted... but games that have already been shown will have been paid for by subscriptions or the like by fans and pubs etc, whether the season is voided or not.

I've really got no clue either way (and you may well be right), but I would think as long as the games have been paid for and subsequently shown, it wouldn't matter... almost like watching a 'friendly' or a naff pre-season tourney.

I thought that too but if you void it then it didn’t happen, expunged off the records, goals, bookings, derby wins, cup wins. No quadruple treble, for that reason alone it won’t happen. 

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This whole thing where they’re allowed to postpone a game just because is a piss take anyway

Exactly, another dodgy rule where if you ask for a postponement (usually OF request) and the opposition disagree they side with the team who asked? Surely it should be the other way round, if you can’t do a shift at work you have to arrange something and if you can’t you work. 

What I don’t get is why they even thought it was the right thing to do after Xmas and new year. What idiotic thinking. Surely at some point at least somebody must of asked the question ? It’s almost like they have some vile plan up their sleeves to get football halted or null and voided.

is there a more disgusting and vile club on this planet ? I sincerely doubt it. I really do.

• davemclaren changed the title to Celtic’s Dubai Trip - player covid positive ( merged )