Celtic’s Dubai Trip - player covid positive ( merged )

His name is

19 minutes ago, Haken said:

Entertaining thread.

The issue here is (1) Celtic and (2) the SPFL.  Why there is such a clamour from some for SG to be somehow responsible for every aspect of life is beyond me.  It looks clear to me that arrangements were put in place to allow European competitions to take place.  Celtic have pushed those boundaries and the SPFL has done bollocks about it.  In a time where we have a global pandemic in tandem with BREXIT and the coordination of the largest vaccination program in our history, is anyone really surprised that Celtic's training intentions did not feature higher up the SG's risk register?

And on a pedantic note, Government does not make laws.  That is Parliament's job.  Government has the advantage of implementing its policy in law, subject to Parliamentary approval.  At the moment, the SNP is a minority Government, meaning it has insufficient numbers within its own ranks to pass anything within Parliament, which in turn means that it has to achieve the support of other parties to do so.

Perhaps all Scottish Westminster MPs and all MSPs should be required to declare which team they support (and which school they went to?) in order for we, the people, to have full disclosure? 😏

Every time i see Sturgeon speak about football i get the sense she is exasperated that football's governing bodies are not dealing with the situation effectively. She drops hints that she expectes them to step up and lead but it never happens.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• John Findlay

23 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I emailed the SPL on Monday asking for clarification/any mitigating factors re several Aberdeen players clearly breaking COVID ‘bubble’ protocols in an Aberdeen bar (photographic evidence) and several Celtic players clearly breaking COVID ‘bubble’ protocols in a Dubai bar (photographic evidence). No response yet!

This is as sad as when Hibs fans were writing letters to Lithuania. 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Every time i see Sturgeon speak about football i get the sense she is exasperated that football's governing bodies are not dealing with the situation effectively. She drops hints that she expectes them to step up and lead but it never happens.

I think she is happy to keep out of it, especially when matters involve one of the arse cheeks

Genuinely couldn’t care less. Assuming Celtic got the necessary permissions etc before going? Bigger things to worry about than them.

Looks like it'll be accessed in some official capacity..... but it'll be by the SPFL, so... sweep, sweep.

news.jpg

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, LogicalEric said:

Genuinely couldn’t care less. Assuming Celtic got the necessary permissions etc before going? Bigger things to worry about than them.

Essential travel only during this pandemic. What was essential about this piss up in Dubai ?

11 minutes ago, LogicalEric said:

The problem is that incidents like this attract the attention of the government who are already making noises that yhey expect the football authorities to take control of the situation.

As we saw when they banned us from training, the SPFL will approach this by dishing out pre-emptive punishments on the lower leagues rather than the 'elite'.

Horatio Caine
28 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Looks like it'll be accessed in some official capacity..... but it'll be by the SPFL, so... sweep, sweep.

news.jpg

Good. they're absolutely right to do this.

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

This is the main thing for me, there's been lots of talk of protocols, of what's expected from clubs when the players are with them. St Mirren and Killie were punished for not sticking to these protocols.

I'd like to know more about these protocols and if these photos show them being followed or not, the fact they're in a country that's still open to travel is irrelevant. 

Have fun.

Full guide for professional football

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/football-development/return-to-football-hub/return-to-the-professional-game/

See Section 'Return to Matches Protocol Premiership'

Sections 13 and 14 are about 'match day' but on the whole I'm assuming on what happened to St. Mirren and Kilmarnock, match day hotels, is it much different to training camps?

St. Mirren certainly got caught by saying that they hadn't realised that they had to socially distance on buses as long as they wore masks and took as much precaution as possible e.g not share double seats.  They also thought they could be 1m apart at meals instead of 2.  Their claim is they were following SG public guidance.  Fundementally, they were charged and pled guilty to not following football criteria.

I can't find a european, international protocol yet but let's face it, if the rules for hotel matchday experience is followed when away from home it really isn't much fun.  You are practically confined to your room unless eating or training.  And if out and about and you get time to yourself, I'd expect it to be the 2 house rule, irrespective of country you are in.

So the players having a beer in the bar would be breaking guidance too.

Edited by DETTY29

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Gmcjambo said:

Reckon it will be a story again when they fly back in, photos of them arriving at the airport etc.     The media are largely complicit in this country though but not doing their jobs when it comes to the Old Firm but SG have at least put the pressure on. 

This could still go nuclear though...... If Celtic players pick up Covid out there then it all kicks off.     Whether that happens remains to be seen of course. 

If any Celtic player test positive for Covid between now and their pre-arranged fixture with Hibs this coming Monday evening. Then Celtic along with those in the SPFL/SFA/JRG will be doing their utmost to keep it under wraps.

Said player(s), when it is noticed they are absent from the matchday squad will have picked up an injury during their training camp/rest and recreation in Dubai. So and so has a groin niggle, so and so has tweaked their hamstring etc etc.

The compliant Scottish media will collectively say right oh.

Edited by John Findlay

been here before
1 hour ago, bobskeldon said:

I emailed the SPL on Monday asking for clarification/any mitigating factors re several Aberdeen players clearly breaking COVID ‘bubble’ protocols in an Aberdeen bar (photographic evidence) and several Celtic players clearly breaking COVID ‘bubble’ protocols in a Dubai bar (photographic evidence). No response yet!

Honestly? You have to be on the wind up with that surely. Thats 'Dear Mr Gustas' territory.

Your surname isnt really Moffat by any chance is it?

15 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Good. they're absolutely right to do this.

Yeah.... weren't Killie cited for not socially distancing on a coach even though they had 1 person to every double seat (I may be wrong?)... I just wonder how much social distancing goes on in a plane? I'm glad killie have done this, it may encourage other clubs to question shellicks ethics when other teams are being punished for covid related 'offences'.

14 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Have fun.

Full guide for professional football

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/football-development/return-to-football-hub/return-to-the-professional-game/

See Section 'Return to Matches Protocol Premiership'

Sections 13 and 14 are about 'match day' but on the whole I'm assuming on what happened to St. Mirren and Kilmarnock, match day hotels, is it much different to training camps?

St. Mirren certainly got caught by saying that they hadn't realised that they had to socially distance on buses as long as they wore masks and took as much precaution as possible e.g not share double seats.  They also thought they could be 1m apart at meals instead of 2.  Their claim is they were following SG public guidance.  Fundementally, they were charged and pled guilty to not following football criteria.

I can't find a european, international protocol yet but let's face it, if the rules for hotel matchday experience is followed when away from home it really isn't much fun.  You are practically confined to your room unless eating or training.  And if out and about and you get time to yourself, I'd expect it to be the 2 house rule, irrespective of country you are in.

So the players having a beer in the bar would be breaking guidance too.

Add - Can't fund anything in SFA website or easily with Google.

Elite sports people in England can go overseas to training camps and must follow host country Covid guidelines, but also the organisation guidelines for the elite sporting event you are training for.

27 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

I'm sure it's been said already but the very fact a top flight fixture is postponed so that the "darlings" of the SPFL and SFA can have a holiday, would be unbelievable if it wasn't for the fact that our game is fundamentally corrupt.

Edited by colinmaroon

35 minutes ago, been here before said:

Honestly? You have to be on the wind up with that surely. Thats 'Dear Mr Gustas' territory.

Your surname isnt really Moffat by any chance is it?

Why shouldn't he, if he want to that's his choice. 

Hibs don't own the rights to complaints. 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Totally agree.  It's not for government (or Parliament) to decree how individual sports should be run.  But when their actions start to bump against wider public policy issues it becomes uncomfortable.  

It's a sad indictment that the sectarian mindset that exists (predominantly in the west but further afield, too) is a major consideration in so many aspects of life in Scotland.

been here before
11 minutes ago, smiler said:

Why shouldn't he, if he want to that's his choice. 

Hibs don't own the rights to complaints. 

No-one said they did. 

Likewise no-one is disputing his choice in doing so.

You're just making that all up.

Bit of an odd post all round.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Pretty naive to think that some of the Weegie votes are not influenced what religious beliefs they have. Just as naive as thinking religion doesn't have a bearing on which arse cheek some support.

All pretty stupid but it's part of Weegie culture

If I gave the impression that I thought otherwise, I apologise.  Though, ironically, a number of comments on here suggest that SNP is predominantly Celtic minded (I have no view, tbh) bumps up against the football behaviour laws, implemented by an SNP gov but brought down by a Labour-led opposition (led by a Celtic minded Labour MSP).  It's a mindset that defines a large part of what Scotland is and, frankly, and on a personal note, it's embarrassing.

avhudtheteeshirt
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

If any Celtic player test positive for Covid between now and their pre-arranged fixture with Hibs this coming Monday evening. Then Celtic along with those in the SPFL/SFA/JRG will be doing their utmost to keep it under wraps.

Said player(s), when it is noticed they are absent from the matchday squad will have picked up an injury during their training camp/rest and recreation in Dubai. So and so has a groin niggle, so and so has tweaked their hamstring etc etc.

Do you not think that this has happened before now?

Any team who has a player out for covid can easily say he's had a niggle!

When covid tests are done, who looks at the results, the team or SPFL/SFA or SG Doctors?

I don't know the answer, does anyone????

John Findlay
Just now, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Do you not think that this has happened before now?

Any team who has a player out for covid can easily say he's had a niggle!

When covid tests are done, who looks at the results, the team or SPFL/SFA or SG Doctors?

I don't know the answer, does anyone????

I'm sure it has.

13 minutes ago, been here before said:

No-one said they did. 

Likewise no-one is disputing his choice in doing so.

You're just making that all up.

Bit of an odd post all round.

Cool so your Hibs letter references have nothing to do with it then.

So what's your beef with Bob's letter? Do you disagree with it? Should he not have sent it? 

7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Not sure they would be able to hide it if they did have a positive case. Sure I read that any private testing facility was duty, and legally, bound to inform Track and Trace if they produced any COVID-19 positive results. When I went for the private test at EDI a couple of weeks the T&C's stated in the result of a positive COVID-19 reading, they would inform Track and Trace team straight after informing me. 

been here before
10 minutes ago, smiler said:

Cool so your Hibs letter references have nothing to do with it then.

So what's your beef with Bob's letter? Do you disagree with it? Should he not have sent it? 

You seem to be taking this awffy personally. My "beef" as you would describe it, is that its just a bit Hibs.

No idea what your first part is about. You seem to be reading different words to those I type. Or to paraphrase Eric Morcombe, the same words but in a different order.

42 minutes ago, Haken said:

Totally agree.  It's not for government (or Parliament) to decree how individual sports should be run.  But when their actions start to bump against wider public policy issues it becomes uncomfortable.  

It's a sad indictment that the sectarian mindset that exists (predominantly in the west but further afield, too) is a major consideration in so many aspects of life in Scotland.

To some extend I agree. Competent sporting bodies would normally be left to run their business without influence or interference!

However, these are not normal times!......The SPFL/SFA have been found out to be ineptly inefficient and clearly way out of their depth. And it has slowly started to get through to those who influence policy up here.

IMO, the SG has no option but to get involved, and I assume that would start with a very private "slap on the wrists" to the football governing body. However, it'll not take much more before the s#it really hits the fan!

Slowly but surely the majority of football fans are now seeing the unravelling of football in this country. At first they were united against Hearts / PT and to a lesser extend Stranraer. but they now beginning to see the suits as a real threat to their very own existence through gross incompetence.   

If Celtic come back from the Middle East with Covid cases......It won't be just Celtic that pays the price!

Edited by Hashimoto

7 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

Not sure they would be able to hide it if they did have a positive case. Sure I read that any private testing facility was duty, and legally, bound to inform Track and Trace if they produced any COVID-19 positive results. When I went for the private test at EDI a couple of weeks the T&C's stated in the result of a positive COVID-19 reading, they would inform Track and Trace team straight after informing me. 

Yep, I agree... plus, if one person has the virus, the chances are here will be a few cases spread among the party. They could probably hide 1 or 2... but 5,6 7? Not so sure.

I wouldn't wish the virus on anyone, but for this to get the attention it deserves, it will take a few positive cases on their return. And this is just plain wrong but unsurprising behaviour of a corrupt establishment such as shellicl/SFA/SPFL.

Pathetic and embarrassing.

4 minutes ago, been here before said:

You seem to be taking this awffy personally. My "beef" as you would describe it, is that its just a bit Hibs.

No idea what your first part is about. You seem to be reading different words to those I type. Or to paraphrase Eric Morcombe, the same words but in a different order.

Do you mean Eric Morcambe?

So because some Hibs tadgers wrote letters to Lithuania it's "a bit Hibs" nowadays to write a complaint letter? That's baffling logic. 

7 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yep, I agree... plus, if one person has the virus, the chances are here will be a few cases spread among the party. They could probably hide 1 or 2... but 5,6 7? Not so sure.

I wouldn't wish the virus on anyone, but for this to get the attention it deserves, it will take a few positive cases on their return. And this is just plain wrong but unsurprising behaviour of a corrupt establishment such as shellicl/SFA/SPFL.

Pathetic and embarrassing.

The other question to ponder is.....How many Celtic players, coaches...etc were happy to travel overseas at a time when COVID numbers were again running out of control?
Was there any dissent amongst those being asked to travel? I can't imagine that all were happy to potentially put themselves at risk!  
If I had been put in that situation I personally would have been telling them to ram it! 

Edited by Hashimoto

1 minute ago, Hashimoto said:

To some extend I agree. Competent sporting bodies would normally be left to run their business without influence or interference!

However, these are not normal times!......The SPFL/SFA have been found out to be ineptly inefficient and clearly way out of their depth. And it has slowly started to get through to those who influence policy up here.

IMO, the SG has no option but to get involved, and I assume that would start with a very private "slap on the wrists" to the football governing body. However, it'll not take much more before the s#it really hits the fan!

Slowly but surely the majority of football fans are now see the unravelling of football in this country. At first they were united against Hearts / PT and to a lesser extend Stranraer. but they now beginning to see the suits as a real threat to their very own existence through gross incompetence.   

If Celtic come back from the Middle East with Covid cases......It won't be just Celtic that pays the price!

I think , legally , the only involvement the SG could have would be with the SFA (maybe SPFL?) .

Celtic's behaviour is incredibly arrogant . 

They keep saying they had permission from the SG . Simply not true .

Their other main defence is that it was booked in November . Clearly it shouldn't have been . 

11 hours ago, Jap Jambo said:

What I think is that actions ought to have consequences, if a sector of society have routinely and repeatedly abused those privileges they should be withdrawn. Given that NS can't directly interfere in the minutia of how things are run within the game she should simply confiscate the ball...Don't actually want that to happen but honestly at this stage I feel that's what she ought to do. Clearly I'd be shocked if she does actually have the chutzpah to do so.

Society has excused a lot more than alleged covid breaches from celtc.

They have 'hidden' much worse goings-on in plain sight for decades.

There is no chance they're getting pulled up for this. 

The most that will happen - possibly - is other clubs will have their punishments reviewed and nullified. 

been here before
4 minutes ago, smiler said:

So because some Hibs tadgers wrote letters to Lithuania it's "a bit Hibs" nowadays to write a complaint letter? That's baffling logic. 

Yow fonde a typi!! 

Well done you. Big brainy heid and everything.

I supose it depend on the cintext you vyoo tje lettir (it was an email incidenttly). You seem to vyoo al complain letters as te  saiym.

Neigh bothr thogh.

Sumwun ese mite fancy argyooing with yoo ovir you perceevrd shiterings but nut mee.

Should keep you occupied a while.

Just now, been here before said:

Yow fonde a typi!! 

Well done you. Big brainy heid and everything.

I supose it depend on the cintext you vyoo tje lettir (it was an email incidenttly). You seem to vyoo al complain letters as te  saiym.

Neigh bothr thogh.

Sumwun ese mite fancy argyooing with yoo ovir you perceevrd shiterings but nut mee.

Should keep you occupied a while.

See you later mate, I'll catch you the next time you make a ***** of yourself, more than likely before lunchtime 😄😄  

12 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

I think , legally , the only involvement the SG could have would be with the SFA (maybe SPFL?) .

Celtic's behaviour is incredibly arrogant . 

They keep saying they had permission from the SG . Simply not true .

Their other main defence is that it was booked in November . Clearly it shouldn't have been . 

And to add to that, the SC has far more more important things on it's plate just now than granting a provincial football club permission to travel overseas for a 2/3 day jolly?

Writing out a travel chit would not even appear on a junior ministers desk, let alone the first minister!
Without Celtic needing to ask for permission any normal person, or business would have known that non essential travel was off the menu even back in November.

But without trying to over emphasis the point. Celtic have history for lying. it's ingrained in their tradition. They are a sleekit club of the highest order....So whatever comes out of Parkhead should be, and will be treated with a pinch of salt. 

And finally, I would suggest that drinking Carlberg beside a pool is most definitely non essential  

Edited by Hashimoto

10 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

Society has excused a lot more than alleged covid breaches from celtc.

They have 'hidden' much worse goings-on in plain sight for decades.

There is no chance they're getting pulled up for this. 

The most that will happen - possibly - is other clubs will have their punishments reviewed and nullified. 

Yep... especially if the likes of Killie are pointing to them with regards to their own 'punishments'.

Bazzas right boot

Between their mhanky fans protesting and thier team taking the piss, one would think these chancing *******s are trying to get football shut down and doing their best to make sure fans don't get Into games. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

been here before
1 minute ago, smiler said:

See you later mate, I'll catch you the next time you make a ***** of yourself, more than likely before lunchtime 😄😄  

Says the king of the typo spotters.

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Says the king of the typo spotters.

What's the typo there? Nae 5 letter words that would fit? 🤔

Just now, Wee Mikey said:

What's the typo there? Nae 5 letter words that would fit? 🤔

I didn't realise until there that another word for a ladies front bottom was on the profanity list. 

2 minutes ago, smiler said:

I didn't realise until there that another word for a ladies front bottom was on the profanity list. 

There are numerous others. A Scots slang word allegedly describing ½ our players beginning with 'H' springs readily to mind.

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, Smithee said:

This is the main thing for me, there's been lots of talk of protocols, of what's expected from clubs when the players are with them. St Mirren and Killie were punished for not sticking to these protocols.

I'd like to know more about these protocols and if these photos show them being followed or not, the fact they're in a country that's still open to travel is irrelevant. 

Surely the bubble has to be kept 

secure wherever they go, if they were away for a European fixture they would have to adhere to the rules. 
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/6751/jrg-x-scottish-government.pdf

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

There are numerous others. A Scots slang word allegedly describing ½ our players beginning with 'H' springs readily to mind.

Huns 🙈?

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Surely the bubble has to be kept 

secure wherever they go, if they were away for a European fixture they would have to adhere to the rules. 
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/6751/jrg-x-scottish-government.pdf

Any time Jason L has described it in a nutshell, so to speak, he has said that the arrangements allowing football to continue relate to whenever the players cross the white line. At any other time they are subject to the same restrictions as everyone else.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Wee Mikey said:

Any time Jason L has described it in a nutshell, so to speak, he has said that the arrangements allowing football to continue relate to whenever the players cross the white line. At any other time they are subject to the same restrictions as everyone else.

Do we have to socially distance on a bus for example, I can’t say I’ve seen signs but it’s possible.
The players were less than one metre apart beside the pool and in the bar. 
Im still not sure if it was a private jet either and if they were seated apart on the flight. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Do we have to socially distance on a bus for example, I can’t say I’ve seen signs but it’s possible.
The players were less than one metre apart beside the pool and in the bar. 
Im still not sure if it was a private jet either and if they were seated apart on the flight. 

I've not been on many busses but those I have been on have had certain seats taped off. As for aeroplanes, the argument seems to be that they are safer due to how they circulate/filter air although I'm dubious about that.

46 minutes ago, smiler said:

What's baffling is suggesting there isn't a comparison between Aberdeen players going to a pub together and Celtic players drinking in a hotel. 

Glamorgan Jambo

I see the SFA have declined the invitation to 'investigate'. 

And they wonder why the requests for 'test events' etc get regularly rebuffed..

• davemclaren changed the title to Celtic’s Dubai Trip - player covid positive ( merged )