January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

10 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

The boy is awful and how he got a new deal is beyond me.

Because you can see he has potential. Wether he grows into that potential or not is a different matter

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

The Old Tolbooth

I'd rather we gave Moore more chances to be honest, it's mystifying that he hasn't had a sniff under Robbie, but looked half decent under Stendel. Also, please don't extend Wighton's contract, he's not good enough for the top flight by a long shot. 

11 minutes ago, sadj said:

Because you can see he has potential. Wether he grows into that potential or not is a different matter

Obviously, I'm pleased to see any youngster get game time. Ultimately, if we want to attract more youngsters in the ability bracket as Hickey, we need to be seen to be giving youngsters the opportunity to succeed.  Its so, so important and cannot be stressed enough. We need to be able to sit down to prospective youngsters and be able to boast stats which will drive them our way. 

That said, I'm not sure what I'm missing with Henderson, he's plenty pacey and seems okay on the ball but he isn't a goal threat at all. Like, when I think back to Carrick, he could get goals and seemed composed enough on the ball. I'm really not getting that at all with Henderson. Its a shame, because if he had some composure that pace could be lethal. 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

Obviously, I'm pleased to see any youngster get game time. Ultimately, if we want to attract more youngsters in the ability bracket as Hickey, we need to be seen to be giving youngsters the opportunity to succeed.  Its so, so important and cannot be stressed enough. We need to be able to sit down to prospective youngsters and be able to boast stats which will drive them our way. 

That said, I'm not sure what I'm missing with Henderson, he's plenty pacey and seems okay on the ball but he isn't a goal threat at all. Like, when I think back to Carrick, he could get goals and seemed composed enough on the ball. I'm really not getting that at all with Henderson. Its a shame, because if he had some composure that pace could be lethal. 

I wouldn’t say he is a striker. Like a lot of players we seem to develop he would be a good number 10 if he could finish. 

I think we will see youngsters getting more chances again now once Brexit kicks in and filling teams full of foreigners who command more money but aren’t much better slows down across the UK. Be interesting to see if Brexit actually has one upside 🤣

26 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Probably because he is 20 year old and is relatively young and could still develop. He'll get another year and if nothing shows I'd imagine he'll end up at Raith or somewhere of a similar ilk.

I think he shows up well in training.  Remember Stendel praising him in the documentary.  Problem is he struggles to impose himself in games and is too easily knocked off the ball.  He's now a couple of years in to first team experience so I would have expected the strength to be there by now.   He also seems to run sideways instead of straight which is a bit weird to watch.  

37 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

The boy is awful and how he got a new deal is beyond me.

This. He got his new deal along with Moore and Brandon before Robbie arrived which I don't understand.

2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Dundee United linked with Gallagher, I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't try get him. 

The whole Celtic thing must have been his agent touting him to try and attract interest surely? I think he's right footed, but Halkett just doesn't fill me with enough confidence. If he was left footed it would be fine, but I think Gallagher would be a big improvement on Halkett, but I wonder if his history would prevent us going for him?

We need to be looking for a left sided centre half as a matter of urgency. Liam Lindsay, Stuart Findlay, Murray Wallace would be pick of the bunch as far as Scots go. Findlay probably the most affordable. Obviously theres Dunne too who would probably be everyones pick of the bunch, but getting a deal sorted might be tough, do genuinely feel the lad needs to think about his career, staying at Burnley till they release him isn't the best idea. He needs game time and he'd get that here. 

7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

This. He got his new deal along with Moore and Brandon before Robbie arrived which I don't understand.

Stendel also had no input at that time either,could only have come from a certain Mr Murray or Arnott 

fabienleclerq
16 minutes ago, OTT said:

The whole Celtic thing must have been his agent touting him to try and attract interest surely? I think he's right footed, but Halkett just doesn't fill me with enough confidence. If he was left footed it would be fine, but I think Gallagher would be a big improvement on Halkett, but I wonder if his history would prevent us going for him?

We need to be looking for a left sided centre half as a matter of urgency. Liam Lindsay, Stuart Findlay, Murray Wallace would be pick of the bunch as far as Scots go. Findlay probably the most affordable. Obviously theres Dunne too who would probably be everyones pick of the bunch, but getting a deal sorted might be tough, do genuinely feel the lad needs to think about his career, staying at Burnley till they release him isn't the best idea. He needs game time and he'd get that here. 

I think we need a few bams tbh so I'd definitely take him! 

Edited by fabienleclerq

Just now, heartmussel said:

Stendel also had no input at that time either,could only have come from a certain Mr Murray or Arnott 

It would surely have to be approved by AB who at that time must have known that she wasd about to appoint Robbie as her new Manager.

Given that Robbie has hardly played Brandon, Moore and Henderson is a bit part player it seems that she didn't even ask him what he thought.

As I recall these deals were given just a week or so before Robbie was appointed. 

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, OTT said:

At the start of the season I thought this would be the perfect time to give Chris Hamilton a chance. He's supposed to be highly rated. If we're not going to give him his chance in the Championship will we ever? We used to regularly produce our own CBs and play them from a young age.

Edited by ToqueJambo

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

At the start of the season I thought this would be the perfect time to give Chris Hamilton a chance. He's supposed to be highly rated. If we're not going to give him his chance in the Championship will we ever? We used to regularly produce our own CBs and play them from a young age.

He's 5 foot 7 

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

They're trying to convert Hamilton into a CDM.

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Would be surprised if Celtic were anywhere near him. Decent as he is, I don't think he's good enough for them. Halkett and Gallagher were a good partnership at Livi so would be good to get him in for that reason. I'm sort of 50/50 between Gallagher and Findlay - would take either one of them. Dunne would be an absolute dream but can't see it if he's on the bench at Burnley. If Mee or Tarkowski pick up a knock, he's in. Can't see him giving that up to come and play for Hearts. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, john thomas said:

Declan Gallagher , Jamie Murphy I get but Kenny Maclean ?

I knew two Kenny Maclean’s (father and son) that were big Hibs fans and religious too, relatives of the same guy of the same name who helped save Hibs back in the day. Just put two and two together and got 666, a valuable life lesson 😆

34 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Would someone that has twitter like to explain to this plank he won't be back this season even if they don't sign him.

20210118_142729.jpg

Ha! 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He's 5 foot 7 

That's fine, but he's highly rated and plays for Scotland U21s at CB. Even if we see him as a DM, this seemed to be the season to give him a shot at the first team. Although I didn't realise he was that short. Have they just been hoping he'd still grow or something? Seems strange to wait so long before trying to convert him.

Edited by ToqueJambo

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He is not a CB though, too small. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He's 5 foot 7 

And 7 stone dripping wet, anyone who thought he could play CH is daft. Neilson gave him a chance in friendlies and he showed he’s not up to it, then loaned him on the proviso he learns to play DM. 
Cue the Cannavaro chat. 

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

CL no doubt. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

He is not a CB though, too small. 

So it seems. Wonder why we waited until he's 19 to try to convert him.

Stuart Findlay, Allan Campbell, Louis Moult and a hold the ball up type centre forward would give us a bloody good squad for next season, could possibly do with another winger too, if we can sign all of those in this window or the summer then i'd be confident about 3rd place

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, OTT said:

Findlay would probably be the best out there lot, a bit quicker than the others. Gallagher looks ok sitting in his own 18 yard line, like Halkett but that’s rarely happens with us. 

Dunne is our of contract in the summer and will likely to have better offers than we can give. 
Can’t say I’ve seen much of Murray Wallace. 

1 hour ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Probably because he is 20 year old and is relatively young and could still develop. He'll get another year and if nothing shows I'd imagine he'll end up at Raith or somewhere of a similar ilk.

Another of those that are very impressive in all age groups and reserve football but don’t, to date, make the step up when given the chance. Mystifying but happens a lot. 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think that idea has only materialised since Robbie came back.

Makes sense to see if he can cope if not then I would imagine he will not be getting his contract renewed.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

That's fine, but he's highly rated and plays for Scotland U21s at CB. Even if we see him as a DM, this seemed to be the season to give him a shot at the first team.

Can you imagine a 5 foot 7 centre half trying to deal with Uche :lol: it's unfortunate, but he's not the first highly rated young defenders to go through this type of thing. He now faces an uphill battle for a career at pro level let alone Hearts, as either a RB or a DM. Think he done OK for Dumbarton but now moved down a level to Stirling. 

9 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Would be surprised if Celtic were anywhere near him. Decent as he is, I don't think he's good enough for them. Halkett and Gallagher were a good partnership at Livi so would be good to get him in for that reason. I'm sort of 50/50 between Gallagher and Findlay - would take either one of them. Dunne would be an absolute dream but can't see it if he's on the bench at Burnley. If Mee or Tarkowski pick up a knock, he's in. Can't see him giving that up to come and play for Hearts. 

They played in a back three at Livi so no real evidence that as a pair in a back four they would be any better than what we have. Certainly Soutar when fit is better than both. 

The Old Tolbooth
40 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Dundee United linked with Gallagher, I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't try get him. 

They're also skint after asking their players to take a wage cut, I'd be amazed if we couldn't out muscle them in the wages stakes. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Just to give him the chance to grow probably. He’s far to slight to be a CH. 5BE6D8E7-FA46-429A-AEA1-43812D5B9144.jpeg.75d6531f3ed3237fcedf0c9572d1127e.jpeg41FE52EB-5EEC-4F66-999F-BAB9040FD65D.jpeg.6f909e451165011bb4143d293e42806c.jpeg

Guest ToqueJambo
47 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Let D Utd bankrupt themselves. Splurging on a player like Gallacher to beat Celtic and Aberdeen to his signing won't turn them into a top 6 side. I'm sure we've looked at him as someone potentially available on a pre-contract.

46 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I think he shows up well in training.  Remember Stendel praising him in the documentary.  Problem is he struggles to impose himself in games and is too easily knocked off the ball.  He's now a couple of years in to first team experience so I would have expected the strength to be there by now.   He also seems to run sideways instead of straight which is a bit weird to watch.  

My memory of the documentary was Stendel running a drill for the lads his age, which he won and Stendel saying something along the lines of "Hendo was the best of the group, when usually he is..." *remembers the camera is there and refrains from being insulting* "at the back of the group."

Paraphrased, of course. That's what I read into his comments on Henderson though.

He didn't play well at the weekend and in all honesty shouldn't have been given a new contract. Having said that, when he came on against Dundee he was involved in all our chances, but I just don't see him making it at any decent level.

Psychedelicropcircle
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Had the pleasure of speaking to Willie Jamieson about that goal against Celtic in The Seaglass in Port Seton last year. You could see he was very proud of it. Said he just fancied a "pop" at goal and it went in. One in 1000 shot.

:jj:

WJ used to work behind the bar at the jooglie bridge, I mentioned I was at tynie that day, he says that’s all I seem to have done at hearts in a sarcastic way so I says that’s accurate aye 😀

Gallagher is decent but at 30 Yr old next month I don't think he's worth pushing the boat out for tbh.

His next move will likely be his biggest contract and if he's getting offered reportedly 4k a week by Dundee Utd, Aberdeen or Celtic etc.. I don't think it's worth matching as he has no sell on value. 

I'm sure there will be umpteen good centerhalfs available to us with the League 1 wage cap. Someone between the ages of 23-28 who can improve and has a bit more longevity would be a better signing imo. 

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

And 7 stone dripping wet, anyone who thought he could play CH is daft. Neilson gave him a chance in friendlies and he showed he’s not up to it, then loaned him on the proviso he learns to play DM. 
Cue the Cannavaro chat. 

Cannavaro was absolutely incredible. Will never forget that 2006 WC semi. Made Germania look like a pub team. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gallagher is decent but at 30 Yr old next month I don't think he's worth pushing the boat out for tbh.

His next move will likely be his biggest contract and if he's getting offered reportedly 4k a week by Dundee Utd, Aberdeen or Celtic etc.. I don't think it's worth matching as he has no sell on value. 

I'm sure there will be umpteen good centerhalfs available to us with the League 1 wage cap. Someone between the ages of 23-28 who can improve and has a bit more longevity would be a better signing imo. 

Totally agree. He's a no nonsense CB and pretty good at it but his level is Scottish Premiership (below Old Firm) and is nothing special.

I'm sure he'll do pretty well wherever he ends up but I expect his salary demands will be over-inflated due to his Scotland performances. If he was available for decent wages I'd be all for it but think that's unlikely.

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Its called an opinion. 

No need to be wide.

It's NOT called an opinion.  it's called arrogance when you omit words like "I think".  It comes actoss as though you know what is going to happen when really you are no wiser than anyone else.

Should definitely use Berra's wages on Findlay or Lindsay...left sided and you know what you're getting. We need more value for money...(I know Berra was at the time).

Berra > Findlay or Lindsay

Damour > Campbell

Walker > Jones

White > Ginnelly

Wighton > Moult

Frear and Roberts > Gnanduillet

Lee > Give it to Irving

And that's before you punt Zlamal and Doyle as well. If Ann and our benefactors are still reeling, no reason we can't build a decent squad.

Right, I'm away back to Football Manager.

And btw, I'm not saying we should sign them all...just highlighting the ridiculous waste of money on garbage. Sick of projects...GMS and potentially Moult suggests we're learning lessons.

Kingsley would probably sign tomorrow if we gave him the terms Oshaniwa was on 🤦‍♂️

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Cannavaro was absolutely incredible. Will never forget that 2006 WC semi. Made Germania look like a pub team. 

Indeed he was, and we are unlikely to have produced his successor, hence the comparisons that were made when I initially said in the summer that Hamilton was too wee were laughable. 

14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

It's NOT called an opinion.  it's called arrogance when you omit words like "I think".  It comes actoss as though you know what is going to happen when really you are no wiser than anyone else.

Lindsay is about as pie in the sky as Dunne IMO. He's at a crucial stage in his career at 25, will be looking to revive it, and there's absolutely no way that he'll see dropping down to the Scottish Championship as a way to do that. His deal with Stoke still has 18 months to run. Absolutely no chance.

IMO = In My Opinion

🤡

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Lindsay is about as pie in the sky as Dunne IMO. He's at a crucial stage in his career at 25, will be looking to revive it, and there's absolutely no way that he'll see dropping down to the Scottish Championship as a way to do that. His deal with Stoke still has 18 months to run. Absolutely no chance.

IMO = In My Opinion

🤡

Place on ignore,  much easier :)

:thumbsup:

Guest ToqueJambo
14 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Should definitely use Berra's wages on Findlay or Lindsay...left sided and you know what you're getting. We need more value for money...(I know Berra was at the time).

Berra > Findlay or Lindsay

Damour > Campbell

Walker > Jones

White > Ginnelly

Wighton > Moult

Frear and Roberts > Gnanduillet

Lee > Give it to Irving

And that's before you punt Zlamal and Doyle as well. If Ann and our benefactors are still reeling, no reason we can't build a decent squad.

Right, I'm away back to Football Manager.

And btw, I'm not saying we should sign them all...just highlighting the ridiculous waste of money on garbage. Sick of projects...GMS and potentially Moult suggests we're learning lessons.

Kingsley would probably sign tomorrow if we gave him the terms Oshaniwa was on 🤦‍♂️

Oshaniwa would have been nowhere near us during a pandemic that's for sure. Totally agree about the projects thing. I'm OK with us taking punts if we have the budget as that's how we unearth some gems, but just one a season maybe, not 5 or 6 at a time. 

I also don't want us to do what Hibs are doing and spend a lot of money filling the team with players signed from bottom six Scottish sides without adding real proven high level quality around them. It might get Hibs 3rd this season if Aberdeen slip up, but they could still easily end up 5th the way Livi are going. They have no-one of the experience and proven quality of the likes of Smith, Kingsley, Naismith, Boyce or Gordon and yet have spent a lot of money on their squad.

Edited by ToqueJambo

15 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

IMO = In My Opinion

🤡

You also said " absolutely no chance" which with respect hardly indicates OPINION

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Oshaniwa would have been nowhere near us during a pandemic that's for sure. Totally agree about the projects thing. I'm OK with us taking punts if we have the budget as that's how we unearth some gems, but just one a season maybe, not 5 or 6 at a time. 

I also don't want us to do what Hibs are doing and spend a lot of money filling the team with players signed from bottom six Scottish sides without adding real proven high level quality around them. It might get Hibs 3rd this season if Aberdeen slip up, but they could still easily end up 5th the way Livi are going. They have no-one of the experience and proven quality of the likes of Smith, Kingsley, Naismith, Boyce or Gordon and yet have spent a lot of money on their squad.

Agree with you mate. It was just a list of players that popped into my head.

Osman Sow was a punt that netted up 1 million plus...Bjorn Johnson could easily have turned out the same way.

I just hope Joe Savage can find more of that and less of Amankwaa and Martin! You're always gonna lose more than you win, but it feels like we're getting a raw deal, literally!

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

The SPFL should be stepping in and telling them they can’t sign anyone. They’ve already got a wage bill that’s about 125% of their turnover, based on last season when crowds were in the ground. Christ knows what it will be for this season.  And as Hearts fans we know more than most how that doesn’t work. 

4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Osman Sow was a punt that netted up 1 million plus...Bjorn Johnson could easily have turned out the same way.

I just hope Joe Savage can find more of that and less of Amankwaa and Martin! You're always gonna lose more than you win, but it feels like we're getting a raw deal, literally!

Wonder what he's up to nowadays.  He was just starting to come good when Robbie left the 1st time round then Cathro ruined his time at Hearts.

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Johnson should of made us well over a million really bad call whoever let him leave 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I think some of the decisions around which players we've let go have been as bad as some of the signing decisions in recent seasons - appreciate in some cases we may not have had much of a choice, but the likes of Johnson, Struna, Goncalves, Neil Alexander, Edwards and Rossi could have been worth persisting with at the time as we didn't really bring in better replacements, also dare I say it Uche for the Championship. Even some youngsters like King, Muirhead, Liam Smith could have been useful to keep in the squad at the time.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )