Covid protocols - ‘Govt money wanted’

taylor75

2 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

IF they shut the league down, we stay down for 2 years. No matter how loyal we are, that would hurt big time

Best we should hope for us a temporary suspension and a restart in October to coincide with our start 

Who’s going to ‘shut the league down’ as in shut it down for the whole season ? The government ? The virus itself maybe ?

The government might well suspend it until phase 4 which is the release of almost all restrictions on public life and is planned provisional for October (coincides with lower league football being permitted) I don’t believe they’d have the power or the desire to finish the whole season.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Nookie Bear

Mid Calder Jambo
17 minutes ago, Marky mark said:

Quarantine Parkhead for 2 weeks should be an option no ?

Quarantine Parkhead forever.

25 minutes ago, luckydug said:

You are talking as if this is just a football disciplinary matter. 

The SG will not give a jot what punishment football gives itself. 

Their primary consideration will be the risk to public health caused by continual rule breaking. 

No way are they going to tolerate high profile lockdown breaches. 

This isn't the UK (one rule for the rich) government we are talking about. 

That's unless your a student waiting for exam results 🤷

20 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It depends if the articles have been amended to list penalties for breaching the Covid restrictions and protocols. If there is no provision for punishment, no one can be punished.

Surely they can get them on the old classic of bringing the game into disrepute, a phrase that is only ever heard in relation to football players. Although I doubt there is any points deductions for that but a fine at least. 

12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It would be hilarious if it got shut down but I think any player flouting rules should be handed down a severe suspension. They'll quickly get the message.

It would also show the government and wider public that the league is taking the matter seriously, if they don't then they could easily find that public support for sport restarting fades and the government are forced to close it down in order to strengthen the public message about obeying the rules. 

Back to 2005

Much as this is amusing I'm just sick of all this crap and want to get back to watching Hearts. This just gives Sturgeon another excuse to keep us all from living our normal lives while it deflects away from the exam results fiasco.

Meanwhile there has been no deaths and next to no hospital admissions with covid for weeks.

indianajones
15 minutes ago, sac said:

Dear Nicola, Scottish fitba players are breaking the rules, please shut it down.

yours truly

Kevin Moffat.

😅

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Unlikely our league will start at all under those rules.  Lot of championship players and vast  majority of league 1 & 2 players have their main jobs outside of football. How will these rules work for them ? 

There’s two teams that are PT in our league, I would imagine they will need to be tested more than the rest or pull out the league. Hopefully by then restrictions will be eased but who knows. 

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Much as this is amusing I'm just sick of all this crap and want to get back to watching Hearts. This just gives Sturgeon another excuse to keep us all from living our normal lives while it deflects away from the exam results fiasco.

Meanwhile there has been no deaths and next to no hospital admissions with covid for weeks.

That's because of how the pandemic is being managed in Scotland. It's rampant in other places. 

You do understand that bit, don't you? 

35 minutes ago, sac said:

Dear Nicola, Scottish fitba players are breaking the rules, please shut it down.

yours truly

Kevin Moffat.

Dear Mrs Sturgeon,

I write you as an embarrassing and shameful Scotsman to make you aware of rule breaches within the Scottish game...

Yours in tears,

Mr Kevin Moffat

Edited by Beast Boy

Spitonastranger
35 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I do. The club were open and honest about the situation and condemned the players for their actions

Sweep sweep though for other clubs though

open and honest once they were caught, what punishments has your tin pot club handed out

MarkDevriesScores4

Hearts, Partick and Stranraer punished for a pandemic arriving. Aberdeen and Celtic appear to be ok to flaunt the pandemic with no consequences. Head scratching stuff from the SPFL.

the laughing stock that is Scottish football continues to roll around in it’s own $hl+.

29 minutes ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

Quarantine Parkhead forever.

Definitely. That manky club should have been quarantined years ago. 

16 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

It would also show the government and wider public that the league is taking the matter seriously, if they don't then they could easily find that public support for sport restarting fades and the government are forced to close it down in order to strengthen the public message about obeying the rules. 

Exactly. It should have been an instant suspension for those 8 Aberdeen players, I'm talking 4+ games, not a 1 game suspension. Even a financial penalty. Hit the players where it hurts and they'll soon comply.

10 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

When you say no deaths for weeks. The last week for which data is available is week ending 2nd August. In that week 7 COVID-19 deaths were registered in Scotland.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

As Weakened Offender has pointed out the reason the rates are so low is because of the ongoing restrictions.

I can totally understand people being sick of it and wanting to get back to watching Hearts, who doesn't. But it is just wishful thinking to believe that the virus has magically disappeared and we can all go back to living a normal life. Football will continue to be disrupted for some time. Apart from anything else there is a fairly wide belief amongst scientists that the virus is very likely to be seasonal. Almost all viruses are seasonal, but the season varies. In the case of COVID-19 it hasn't been around for a full year and because of the way it has been spreading it is hard to say for sure at this stage, but the closest other viruses are all viruses that increase in winter. Because of what the medical profession have learned about managing the virus, an increase in cases in the winter might not require us to go back to full 'lock-down', but it may require re-imposing some restrictions.

43 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

We definitely don’t want it shut down for the season especially now as we’ll be left where we are

I’d be quite happy with lots of negative publicity, points deductions and fines for the players and clubs involved, the season being put on ice until October with the cup semis having to be moved and all kinds of fixture chaos ensuing

We need to be top of the league AND we need the season to be played out

There is no guarantee that the nest of vipers would vote as they did last time if the leagues end early

Even with the best fans in the world we don’t want to be down for 2 seasons

Due respect DIB but I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself there. 

Even if the SG does shut them down it's likely to be a temporary measure which will be reassessed regularly. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Exactly. It should have been an instant suspension for those 8 Aberdeen players, I'm talking 4+ games, not a 1 game suspension. Even a financial penalty. Hit the players where it hurts and they'll soon comply.

Indeed, money might be the only thing that these thick ****ers actually understand. Still waiting on Hibs politely asking their fans not to congregate at away games, the FM was clear from the start about the concerns of fans doing this.

MarkDevriesScores4

When such breaches occur (I.e. players knowingly choosing to ignore the rules), that entire team shouldn’t be able to play for 14 days regardless. 3-0 losses marked against them for every game they can’t play. That would soon sort the idiots out.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

When you say no deaths for weeks. The last week for which data is available is week ending 2nd August. In that week 7 COVID-19 deaths were registered in Scotland.

As Weakened Offender has pointed out the reason the rates are so low is because of the ongoing restrictions.

I can totally understand people being sick of it and wanting to get back to watching Hearts, who doesn't. But it is just wishful thinking to believe that the virus has magically disappeared and we can all go back to living a normal life. Football will continue to be disrupted for some time. Apart from anything else there is a fairly wide belief amongst scientists that the virus is very likely to be seasonal. Almost all viruses are seasonal, but the season varies. In the case of COVID-19 it hasn't been around for a full year and because of the way it has been spreading it is hard to say for sure at this stage, but the closest other viruses are all viruses that increase in winter. Because of what the medical profession have learned about managing the virus, an increase in cases in the winter might not require us to go back to full 'lock-down', but it may require re-imposing some restrictions.

Well said. The real figures are those of people who have died from Covid 19 but weren’t tested or confirmed cases. The figure for the U.K. is over 80k, cases will spike if idiots like these Aberdeen players, Griffiths and Bolingoli and these scummy Hibs ***** at Livi aren’t punished in a serious way.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah, not sure how many games but something that makes a statement. Also, the postponing of the Aberdeen St. Johnstone fixture adds a new dimension, if there is no further punishment, would you put it past either of the uglies to use a protocol breach to have an OF games postponed either because they have injuries or because they want fans in the stadium for the game etc. Remember in the last championship season Rangers didn't turn on the undersoil heating and had our game postponed, largely because we were on a great run and that game could have buried them. Didn't make a difference in the end but could have been crucial. 

image.png.dc96ab8b21646e42ee247d5b09d54f2e.png

I don't think there can be much argument that this behaviour brings "the game into disrepute"

I suspect the compliance officer may be conspicuous by their absence.

25 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Are you 12 ?

It should be the individuals punished imo, rather than the clubs (unless the clubs aren't following protocol). These players will be breaking the rules outside of work and that is where the risk (minimal) is. If we suspend the league etc then those players will just have more time to go and break the rules and risk spreading the virus. That said, let's be honest, the risk to a professional athletes is absolutely minimal so I can see why they don't take it seriously.

Back to 2005
21 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

That's because of how the pandemic is being managed in Scotland. It's rampant in other places. 

You do understand that bit, don't 

Please dont try to make out that Sturgeon has succesfully managed the situation. Compared to other countries of similar size it has been a disaster.

However at the end of the day this so called pandemic has killed fewer people than the bad flu year a couple of years ago. Were you calling for a lockdown then? 

TyphoonJambo
7 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

When such breaches occur (I.e. players knowingly choosing to ignore the rules), that entire team shouldn’t be able to play for 14 days regardless. 3-0 losses marked against them for every game they can’t play. That would soon sort the idiots out.

Seeing as how tge entire team came into contact with the dullard, doesnt the 10 day self isolation kick in anyway? 

Back to 2005
15 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Meanwhile there will be 5 million unemployed, tens of thousands people who have missed cancer checks will die, suicides will be off the scale. 

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Please dont try to make out that Sturgeon has succesfully managed the situation. Compared to other countries of similar size it has been a disaster.

However at the end of the day this so called pandemic has killed fewer people than the bad flu year a couple of years ago. Were you calling for a lockdown then? 

Oh **** off you silly arse. 

Back to 2005
5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Oh **** off you silly arse. 

Typical Scottish nat response. Away and stand at the border with a feather in your hat. 

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

It should be the individuals punished imo, rather than the clubs (unless the clubs aren't following protocol). These players will be breaking the rules outside of work and that is where the risk (minimal) is. If we suspend the league etc then those players will just have more time to go and break the rules and risk spreading the virus. That said, let's be honest, the risk to a professional athletes is absolutely minimal so I can see why they don't take it seriously.

There’s a rising level of responsibility here though. If the players cant be trusted it falls on the club. If the clubs can’t be trusted on discipline and compliance it falls on the football authorities. We already know and the SG knows, that the football authorities can’t be trusted because of years of corruption, incompetence cronyism and mismanagement. This is a public health matter which falls under the SG remit. For public safety they will need to do SOMETHING that reassures the public about who’s in charge here. Is it football or is it the government ?

36 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

Surely they can get them on the old classic of bringing the game into disrepute, a phrase that is only ever heard in relation to football players. Although I doubt there is any points deductions for that but a fine at least. 

The SPFL is simply ignoring the Covid related breached and letting the SG do it'd dirty work for it - the SPFL would happily see football shut down before taking action against Dons or Celtic - or any other club, except maybe Hearts.

A tweet this morning raised a good point about Celtic fielding an ineligible player - "If you are returning from Spain you will be required to self-isolate on your return to the UK". That player was not available to play, under govt advice - it couldn't be clearer.

So it's also clear Doncaster doesn't have a problem with players breaching govt issued health guidelines during a pandemic so long as it doesn't breach SPFL competition rules. 

11 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

No I just don't happen to be taken in by the MSM and their agenda. 

Quite right. Think for yourself. Now let’s imagine we really do have a virus that is still infecting people, still killing people and still requires controls to stop it spreading. Let’s assume it’s not a government plot to keep us under control, supported by a Stasi type MSM. I assume in those circumstances you’re okay with some restrictions, even the odd marginally inconvenient one like not getting to watch football live in a stadium. Any measure that saves lives is a good thing yes ? Or are you fine with Grandad breathing his last as long as you can go to Tynecastle once a fortnight 

Edited by JimmyCant

Hmm, I think a possible course of action from government will be for it to say to clubs that these incidents demonstrate that it is not the right time for fans to go back into stadia.  That will hurt some clubs ie the smaller ones who will be looking for paying customers on the day.  For those that could 'fill' their grounds with socially distanced season ticket holders, not so much.

1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

And if they shut it down what happens to us?

Be careful what you wish for methinks

With our fans and the backing we give our club I have no doubt at all whatsoever that HMFC will be fine whatever happens.  Can we say that for the rest of them???  I’m a billion % all for finding out 👍👍👍👍👍👍

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

There’s a rising level of responsibility here though. If the players cant be trusted it falls on the club. If the clubs can’t be trusted on discipline and compliance it falls on the football authorities. We already know and the SG knows, that the football authorities can’t be trusted because of years of corruption, incompetence cronyism and mismanagement. This is a public health matter which falls under the SG remit. For public safety they will need to do SOMETHING that reassures the public about who’s in charge here. Is it football or is it the government ?

That's all true, but if the rules are there to protect people then surely you want rule breakers spending as much time as possible in an environment where they aren't free to flout the rules, such as a covid safe workplace rather than sat bored at home with the temptation to go out?

In the Aberdeen players case, they'll have been in physical contact with each other throughout training. Why does their risk of spreading the virus increase if 8 of then go out for a meal together rather than individually? It's still 8 people who have been in close contact with each other anyway, if anything it reduces the spread as they are all concentrated in one location at one table, rather than potentially 16 people (them and their wives for example) at 8 different locations all at once.

Edited by Taffin

53 minutes ago, sac said:

yours truly

Kevin Moffat.

Just now, ericb said:

Stephen Robinson claims halting the league would tear Scottish football apart, and jobs could be lost :facepalm: hypocrisy at its highest

I'll probably pee my breeks laughing if the SPFL is suspended and Celtic are thrown out for being unable to complete their CL qualifier. And now we have Steve Robinson whining that it'll be devastating for Scottish football...bit like Championship not starting till Oct eh.

August Landmesser

Apologies for putting this here, but Celtic have released a statement;

"CELTIC Football Club unreservedly condemns and apologises for the behaviour of the player Boli Bolingoli in travelling to Spain without informing the club and in failing to observe quarantine restrictions.

It is difficult to imagine a more irresponsible action in current circumstances and we find it beyond explanation. The Club will take immediate action through our own disciplinary procedures.

Celtic are in touch with every SPFL club today, and with all relevant authorities, to apologise for the fact that one of our employees has created so much additional difficulty through his actions.

All of our playing and backroom staff have been tested twice for Covid-19 since this incident and all, including the player in question, have tested negative. While this comes as a relief to all concerned, it in no way diminishes the seriousness or stupidity of the player’s actions.

Since the Covid -19 crisis began, we have had a safe and healthy squad of players, recording not one positive test. As a club, we have worked tirelessly to ensure a sustained, safe environment for all.   

We have led the way in working with the football authorities and Scottish Government to establish the most rigorous, effective protocols and working practices, which ultimately led to the resumption of football. We could have done no more in this area.

It is a matter of the deepest regret to us that the behaviour of one individual has jeopardised that reputation and reflected discredit on football more generally."

They sound fewmin'

Will it be enough to mollify the SG?

TyphoonJambo
2 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

"CELTIC Football Club unreservedly condemns and apologises for the behaviour of the player Boli Bolingoli in travelling to Spain without informing the club and in failing to observe quarantine restrictions.

It is difficult to imagine a more irresponsible action in current circumstances and we find it beyond explanation. The Club will take immediate action through our own disciplinary procedures.

Celtic are in touch with every SPFL club today, and with all relevant authorities, to apologise for the fact that one of our employees has created so much additional difficulty through his actions.

All of our playing and backroom staff have been tested twice for Covid-19 since this incident and all, including the player in question, have tested negative. While this comes as a relief to all concerned, it in no way diminishes the seriousness or stupidity of the player’s actions.

Since the Covid -19 crisis began, we have had a safe and healthy squad of players, recording not one positive test. As a club, we have worked tirelessly to ensure a sustained, safe environment for all.   

We have led the way in working with the football authorities and Scottish Government to establish the most rigorous, effective protocols and working practices, which ultimately led to the resumption of football. We could have done no more in this area.

It is a matter of the deepest regret to us that the behaviour of one individual has jeopardised that reputation and reflected discredit on football more generally."

They sound fewmin'

Nice words. Now give us 50k and 6 points. 

They sound fewmin'

Good statement in fairness to them. I expected something where they tried to shift the blame.

3 minutes ago, ericb said:

Stephen Robinson claims halting the league would tear Scottish football apart, and jobs could be lost :facepalm: hypocrisy at its highest

He's not the sharpest tool. Glad we avoided him now

3 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

They sound fewmin'

Take it they forgot about the thumb

Shooter McGavin

They sound fewmin'

A Celtic statement that doesn’t feature any whataboutery? I am absolutely staggered. 

3 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

They sound fewmin'

All good, except a senior high profile Celtic employee (Lennon) is quoted directly in the MSM saying he didn’t think it’s that big a deal 

Geoff Kilpatrick

The Supine Prick Fellating Lawwell will do bugger all about this. Hopefully Sturgeon goes full nippy sweetie instead.