Covid protocols - ‘Govt money wanted’

taylor75

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, LMc said:

Micheal Smith, Steven Naismith and Liam Boyce could walk into most, if not all Scottish Premiership teams. Possibly even some English championship teams but definitely League 1/2 teams. 

To think these players will choose to 'ride out the storm' is completely fanciful.

Think his point was they won't have a choice. 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Nookie Bear

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, LMc said:

Would you stay at your job not fully paid after already having had to endure pay cuts for another year?

If there was no other job, yes. 

9 minutes ago, LMc said:

Micheal Smith, Steven Naismith and Liam Boyce could walk into most, if not all Scottish Premiership teams. Possibly even some English championship teams but definitely League 1/2 teams. 

To think these players will choose to 'ride out the storm' is completely fanciful.

Who’s going to have the money to sign these players ? If it completely closed doors this season most teams will struggle to keep what they’ve got never mind recruit new players. The very thought is fanciful never mind us keeping ours. 

Clark Griswold

I wonder how long Celtic/SPFL will try to sway government again to get fans in. They think they’re above government after all 

7 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

I wonder how long Celtic/SPFL will try to sway government again to get fans in. They think they’re above government after all 

There is no chance of this.

Dennis Reynolds
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes but will these clubs you’ve mentioned be able to afford them in the current environment. 

Of course. Teams are still buying players. We've sold Sean Clare and Uche to teams down south very recently. Nottingham forest are shelling out millions for Scott McKenna.

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Think his point was they won't have a choice. 

How will they not have a choice? What if they refuse to take a wage cut? We won't be able to afford to pay them to sit on the arse for a year. After said year that we'll still be in the championship and financially worse off. We probably won't be in a position to even afford them by then.

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

If there was no other job, yes. 

There is though. Football across Europe is back up and running. 

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Who’s going to have the money to sign these players ? If it completely closed doors this season most teams will struggle to keep what they’ve got never mind recruit new players. The very thought is fanciful never mind us keeping ours. 

Again, teams are still buying players. If we're in a position where our season is getting mothballed we'll be in no position to demand a significant fee. These players have bills to pay and won't want to take a year off. To think they'll agree to take a reduced pay year, to then come back to play in the Scottish championship is mental. These players I've mentioned are full internationals with an international tournament potentially coming up. If hearts aren't playing, they'll be away. Whether that's on a transfer or a loan, who knows but we'll be cutting our cloth accordingly.

highlandjambo3
22 minutes ago, LMc said:

Would you stay at your job, not fully paid after already having had to endure pay cuts, for another year?

If I had no other choice it’s possible

3 minutes ago, LMc said:

Of course. Teams are still buying players. We've sold Sean Clare and Uche to teams down south very recently. Nottingham forest are shelling out millions for Scott McKenna.

How will they not have a choice? What if they refuse to take a wage cut? We won't be able to afford to pay them to sit on the arse for a year. After said year that we'll still be in the championship and financially worse off. We probably won't be in a position to even afford them by then.

Again, teams are still buying players. If we're in a position where our season is getting mothballed we'll be in no position to demand a significant fee. These players have bills to pay and won't want to take a year off. To think they'll agree to take a reduced pay year, to then come back to play in the Scottish championship is mental. These players I've mentioned are full internationals with an international tournament potentially coming up. If hearts aren't playing, they'll be away. Whether that's on a transfer or a loan, who knows but we'll be cutting our cloth accordingly.

Most if not all teams have been working on the assumption fans will be back in stadiums this year. I can guarantee you if it’s clear there will be no fans in stadiums everyone will be cutting cloths and no one at our sort of level will be signing players. Our cloth is being looked after by benefactors and I’m sure if needed FOH, so we are in a far stronger position than most. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, LMc said:

If we need to make cut backs then it Likley means other teams are too.

I can't se a situation were it is just us in that situation. 

Yes, there wil be offers but Likley very limited for the level of player we are talking about. 

They might stay, they might not if there were wage cuts. 

Time wil tell. No pint in arguing either way Tbh. 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, LMc said:

Not so much guys in their 30s that are injured as much as those three are, those three sales are younger guys. Not sure if the three you mentioned have got a 46 game league season in them, but you never know. 
We will have to use clause 12 you would imagine and release most of them. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

highlandjambo3
22 minutes ago, LMc said:

Football in Europe is currently limping along and likely to remain so until it’s canned, imo of course.

44 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Absolutely zero chance of fans back.  No mixing indoors , there’s no chance

Which creates a risk of only the top league continuing if the situation worsens.     Genuinely worried about this scenario.... we need to be back up in the SPL next season.   SPFL should be insisting on testing even if the Govt does not.  That would help in my view. 

Edited by Gmcjambo

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So nothing specific around football from Nicola?

Route map paused which means football changes paused 

Edited by Mikey1874

Neil Dongcaster
12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

So what happens in the hypothetical scenario we cant play the Cup semi especially if this pandemic gets worse. and it looking that way? 

Celtic win the cup. Just because.

41 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So nothing specific around football from Nicola?

In theory, it's not her problem. It's Doncaster and the SPFLs.

Hell mend the clubs that voted the way they did because they banked on getting decent numbers of fans through the gates to get through the season. They made their assumptions based on the information available, and they've turned out to be wrong. It didn't take a genius to know a coronavirus without a vaccine would potentially strike again in winter. 

Doncaster should be on the blower to all lower league teams now to check their intentions and capabilities, and make sure those of us that can play do, and those that need to mothball can. Nothing else will do. 

I predict popcorn time. 

3 minutes ago, blairdin said:

In theory, it's not her problem. It's Doncaster and the SPFLs.

Hell mend the clubs that voted the way they did because they banked on getting decent numbers of fans through the gates to get through the season. They made their assumptions based on the information available, and they've turned out to be wrong. It didn't take a genius to know a coronavirus without a vaccine would potentially strike again in winter. 

Doncaster should be on the blower to all lower league teams now to check their intentions and capabilities, and make sure those of us that can play do, and those that need to mothball can. Nothing else will do. 

I predict popcorn time. 

The next week will be interesting. 

Maroon tinted glasses 2
6 minutes ago, farin said:

Latest from the bbc. 

https://bbc.in/2FVYKNd

The Scottish Premiership season will continue, but the phased return of fans from 5 October is now "unlikely", says First Minister Nicola Sturgeon. 

The indicative date for allowing crowds in stadiums had already been pushed back from 14 September. 

Further pilot events are on hold with the situation to be reviewed again in three weeks. 

It means Scotland's Euro 2020 play-off semi-final with Israel on 8 October will be behind closed doors.

So, too, will be the Nations League visit of Slovakia three days later.

And hopes of having fans inside Celtic Park for the first Old Firm game of the season on 17 October have dwindled further, too.

Scottish Open to have spectators

Crowds 'slightly more at risk'

Speaking to the Scottish Parliament, Ms Sturgeon said: "It's important I indicate today that the route map changes with an indicative date of October 5 are unlikely now to go ahead on that timescale."

Next week's Scottish Open golf was scheduled to have 650 fans on both Saturday and Sunday, but it is unclear if that will still be the case.

The tournament, at the Renaissance Club in East Lothian, is due to be the first European Tour event played in front of spectators since March.

Earlier on Tuesday, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced new restrictions to combat coronavirus which could last for up to six months.

However, Ms Sturgeon - laying out how those would apply to Scotland and how they differed - said not all restrictions would necessarily be in place for that length of time. More questions for lower-league football

There are also now concerns over the lower-league football season, which is due to start on 17 October.

That date was chosen with a view to having fans in the stadium, which would bring the revenue needed for clubs to function.

Speaking on Saturday, national clinical director Professor Jason Leitch told Off the Ball that crowds in stadiums are "slightly more at risk" after a rise in Covid-19 cases.

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson says continuing to play without crowds was be "a big disappointment" and that football should be rewarded for the efforts it has made since returning.

'Football can give us respite from it all' - Motherwell manager Robinson

"The protocols we have adhered to are above and beyond anything else - it's above the NHS frontline staff," he said.

"And football can give respite from the mental health side of things. In a world where things are complicated and strange, football can be that relieving factor, that little bit of joy and happiness."

It's also unclear what new restrictions might mean for testing protocols among clubs in the Scottish Championship, League One and League Two.

Current rules mean those teams could face each other without regular testing, but that may also be reviewed.

Sporting bodies in England have already written to the Westminster government asking for financial assistance.

Did I read that right, Robinson actually saying that what the footballers have to do regarding covid is above the NHS frontline staff................................... WOW this guy is a complete idiot, however out of respect to his club i will stand on my front door tonight at 8 to clap them> 

Just now, Rods said:

The SFA and SPFL will revert to the tried and tested soon enough by punishing Hearts to take the attention away from their own incompetence 

Not even funny. 🧐

3 minutes ago, Maroon tinted glasses 2 said:

Did I read that right, Robinson actually saying that what the footballers have to do regarding covid is above the NHS frontline staff................................... WOW this guy is a complete idiot, however out of respect to his club i will stand on my front door tonight at 8 to clap them> 

No, he's saying that footballers have to get tested twice a week, whereas NHS frontline staff don't get tested at all.  He's saying that football has an important place in society.  Both of these are true.  I think he's then saying that because of how safe it's been made (eg with player testing), fans should be allowed in - which is nonsense given the current direction of travel.  However, it's the BBC spin which says that, not the actual quote they've used.

Hagar the Horrible
5 minutes ago, Maroon tinted glasses 2 said:

The idiocy of him and Lennon is, because the clubs are leading the world in Covid control and they "can do no more"  its ok for thousands of drunk people to cram into stadiums for a few hours shouting, singing and hugging , and be in total control of virus spead.  Apparently football fans have total immunity.

It will spread faster than a Rose Street hookers legs, when the USS Nimitz has docked in Leith

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Forrest said:

No, he's saying that footballers have to get tested twice a week, whereas NHS frontline staff don't get tested at all.  He's saying that football has an important place in society.  Both of these are true.  I think he's then saying that because of how safe it's been made (eg with player testing), fans should be allowed in - which is nonsense given the current direction of travel.  However, it's the BBC spin which says that, not the actual quote they've used.

Players testing seems to me to be completely irrelevant when it comes to letting crowds back in.

It's not just lower league clubs who will suffer, there are a number in the Premiership who will be in a worse situation. Lower League clubs don't need many fans in the ground as some have survived for years on a few hundred . It is those Premiership clubs who rely on the away support of the OF, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen and budget accordingly who are in greater danger.

2 minutes ago, David Black said:

It's not just lower league clubs who will suffer, there are a number in the Premiership who will be in a worse situation. Lower League clubs don't need many fans in the ground as some have survived for years on a few hundred . It is those Premiership clubs who rely on the away support of the OF, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen and budget accordingly who are in greater danger.

Got to think the teams that rely on the OF pound such as St Johnstone, Killie and Hamilton are in big trouble. 

Hagar the Horrible

The postponement of plans for fans to return to sporting events in England may lead to the "devastating impact" of football clubs folding, says Tranmere Rovers vice-chair Nicola Palios.

She added that "the football economy is unsustainable" without fans attending matches.

Palios told BBC Sport "the impact could be quite devastating" for many clubs throughout the English football league system.

"A lot of clubs were already having financial difficulties before this pandemic started and this may sadly tip some of them over the edge," she said.

All they need to do is a fairer spread of the money thats pumped into the game and put controls in to stop more of it being pumped into just a few players and Make players pay for agents themselves.  perhaps look to the lower leagues for players, rather than overpaid imported bench warmers

20 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Players testing seems to me to be completely irrelevant when it comes to letting crowds back in.

Exactly.  That's why I said it was nonsense, and even Robinson doesn't seem to have said it directly - it's the words the BBC have put in his mouth.

7 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

The postponement of plans for fans to return to sporting events in England may lead to the "devastating impact" of football clubs folding, says Tranmere Rovers vice-chair Nicola Palios.

She added that "the football economy is unsustainable" without fans attending matches.

Palios told BBC Sport "the impact could be quite devastating" for many clubs throughout the English football league system.

"A lot of clubs were already having financial difficulties before this pandemic started and this may sadly tip some of them over the edge," she said.

All they need to do is a fairer spread of the money thats pumped into the game and put controls in to stop more of it being pumped into just a few players and Make players pay for agents themselves.  perhaps look to the lower leagues for players, rather than overpaid imported bench warmers

Surely, Gareth Bale (sorry to pick on him, but just for example) could forgo some of his £600,000 a week to help out the clubs further down the leagues. The money being paid to Premiership players is obscene, why should government help when money like that is swishing around in the game? 

How many lower and non league clubs would Gareth Bales monthly wage of £2.4m keep going for 6 months? 

12 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Their house of cards has always been susceptible to something like this. The debt down there is eye watering. If it can’t be carried by clubs then the inevitable awaits.

Byyy The Light
5 minutes ago, blairdin said:

Surely, Gareth Bale (sorry to pick on him, but just for example) could forgo some of his £600,000 a week to help out the clubs further down the leagues. The money being paid to Premiership players is obscene, why should government help when money like that is swishing around in the game? 

How many lower and non league clubs would Gareth Bales monthly wage of £2.4m keep going for 6 months? 

I get what you are saying but it’s not any of the players’ fault that people want to pay them that. I’d rather money went to the players than multi billionaire owners who have in my opinion completely ruined football.

As someone else said above, there needs to be caps and controls in place to redistribute cash better throughout the system. It’s not the players who should be targeted though. 

Guest ToqueJambo

I've always assumed it would be easy, and probably preferable for most, for the smaller clubs in Scotland to mothball for a season. They don't have the big wage bills and overheads of other clubs. 

As others have said, Hamilton, Dundee Utd, St Mirren, St Johnstone, etc with Premiership costs and wage bills will be arguably more at threat than for example Queen of the South. I would include us in our current position if it wasn't for the extra funding we have to see us through.

I can see Scottish football shutting down if, say, crowds don't look like coming back until next year. They cannot be allowed to restart with the same leagues though. Reconstruction will absolutely have to happen for next season.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, farin said:

Latest from the bbc. 

https://bbc.in/2FVYKNd

The Scottish Premiership season will continue, but the phased return of fans from 5 October is now "unlikely", says First Minister Nicola Sturgeon. 

The indicative date for allowing crowds in stadiums had already been pushed back from 14 September. 

Further pilot events are on hold with the situation to be reviewed again in three weeks. 

It means Scotland's Euro 2020 play-off semi-final with Israel on 8 October will be behind closed doors.

So, too, will be the Nations League visit of Slovakia three days later.

And hopes of having fans inside Celtic Park for the first Old Firm game of the season on 17 October have dwindled further, too.

Scottish Open to have spectators

Crowds 'slightly more at risk'

Speaking to the Scottish Parliament, Ms Sturgeon said: "It's important I indicate today that the route map changes with an indicative date of October 5 are unlikely now to go ahead on that timescale."

Next week's Scottish Open golf was scheduled to have 650 fans on both Saturday and Sunday, but it is unclear if that will still be the case.

The tournament, at the Renaissance Club in East Lothian, is due to be the first European Tour event played in front of spectators since March.

Earlier on Tuesday, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced new restrictions to combat coronavirus which could last for up to six months.

However, Ms Sturgeon - laying out how those would apply to Scotland and how they differed - said not all restrictions would necessarily be in place for that length of time. More questions for lower-league football

There are also now concerns over the lower-league football season, which is due to start on 17 October.

That date was chosen with a view to having fans in the stadium, which would bring the revenue needed for clubs to function.

Speaking on Saturday, national clinical director Professor Jason Leitch told Off the Ball that crowds in stadiums are "slightly more at risk" after a rise in Covid-19 cases.

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson says continuing to play without crowds was be "a big disappointment" and that football should be rewarded for the efforts it has made since returning.

'Football can give us respite from it all' - Motherwell manager Robinson

"The protocols we have adhered to are above and beyond anything else - it's above the NHS frontline staff," he said.

"And football can give respite from the mental health side of things. In a world where things are complicated and strange, football can be that relieving factor, that little bit of joy and happiness."

It's also unclear what new restrictions might mean for testing protocols among clubs in the Scottish Championship, League One and League Two.

Current rules mean those teams could face each other without regular testing, but that may also be reviewed.

Sporting bodies in England have already written to the Westminster government asking for financial assistance.

They should’ve asked that wee erse earlier on what to do 🙈
I’m sure not seeing Hearts for a while has helped most of our mental health state to get to a stage where we want to see them again. 
If they do make lower league tests to play each other it will be carnage, as most will have spent the £50k that was to be for testing and other things. 
Shame the uglies will have to play behind closed doors, that should’ve happened years ago until their disgusting fans learn how to behave. 

Italian Lambretta
36 minutes ago, Rods said:

Got to think the teams that rely on the OF pound such as St Johnstone, Killie and Hamilton are in big trouble. 

Oh I really hope not :pleasingao:

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, Rods said:

Add in the others that will also miss our money too, only teams like the sheep and livi who have sold players will be ok. 

13 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I get what you are saying but it’s not any of the players’ fault that people want to pay them that. I’d rather money went to the players than multi billionaire owners who have in my opinion completely ruined football.

As someone else said above, there needs to be caps and controls in place to redistribute cash better throughout the system. It’s not the players who should be targeted though. 

I don't disagree with that, but I don't see why the government should bail out an industry with that amount of money and wealth swishing around. 

It's not the players fault, but if the money within the game down there was better distributed they wouldn't be at this by crossroads. I think professional football has to figure this out for themselves, and let the government prop up the grass root sports and facilities, along with sports like ice hockey (for example) where pro players earn "normal" wages more akin to us normal people. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, farin said:

Lower leagues simply won’t be able to afford the test imo, the spfl hoping to get crowds back slowly has been blown out the water now thanks to a 2nd wave going by the figures released that most knew was a reality. Has to a real concern about our league being started now if the clubs are forced to test too. What a clusterfeck tbh. 

That's what the 50 grand was supposed to be for.

6 minutes ago, farin said:

Lower leagues simply won’t be able to afford the test imo, the spfl hoping to get crowds back slowly has been blown out the water now thanks to a 2nd wave going by the figures released that most knew was a reality. Has to a real concern about our league being started now if the clubs are forced to test too. What a clusterfeck tbh. 

Correct, yet we have people celebrating it, none of this is positive for Hearts 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, baxterd1974 said:

Correct, yet we have people celebrating it, none of this is positive for Hearts 

We will have been proved right if it happens but it'll be a bitter sweet feeling no doubt. The only thing is if football stops completely we're as well placed as anyone, including the OF, to come out of it OK. Other clubs not so much.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Rods said:

Every Scottish team is in trouble. 

Celtic and rangers get over 45% of revenue from match day income, once the Intial St money burst is run through they will be in the shit. 

One player sale might see them both through tho. 

Us, Aberdeen and hibs are similar as well, we need money from match day. 

Aberdeen getting x million for the donkey will see them through and have a decent owner, we have Budge that will see us survive. 

Hibs, not so sure. 

Motherwell and livi have also had an injection of cash from a player sale so should be OK. 

The rest are in trouble as well but will just cut their cloth, Hamilton  for example have facilities akin to a junior team so will have lower costs and have shite players , they don't even need to cut the ****ing grass. 

If there are no crowds at all this season, every club is ****ed Tbh, if there is a low % allowed in, clubs with lower crowds might be OK but that still leaves the big clubs in bother. 

It's a complete shit show and one which was obviously going to unfold back in March. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Hagar the Horrible

The EFL have also just woken up on this, they were just relying on SKY putting games on the box, but as there is no fans for months, then they have only just started to talk about about letting season ticket holders watch non-televised games.

Well at least we have the jump on that, I though that would have been in play already?

They are using the Ifollow system but it looks like its access all areas?

Rangers are adopting the I-follow-follow system

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

The EFL have also just woken up on this, they were just relying on SKY putting games on the box, but as there is no fans for months, then they have only just started to talk about about letting season ticket holders watch non-televised games.

Well at least we have the jump on that, I though that would have been in play already?

They are using the Ifollow system but it looks like its access all areas?

Rangers are adopting the I-follow-follow system

😂👍

interest free govt loans to clubs will have to be facilitated, you can't say to them no fans allowed and good luck while bars and restaurants are still in operation. These loans could cover covid testing also. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We will have been proved right if it happens but it'll be a bitter sweet feeling no doubt. The only thing is if football stops completely we're as well placed as anyone, including the OF, to come out of it OK. Other clubs not so much.

If this lasts for a long time, the of are one of the worst equipped, 

Celtic and rangers got over 45% of their total revenue from match day. 

From the report I saw, Celtic and rangers were the most at risk followed by a host of English championship clubs and teams like the bigger teams in Portugal, Belgium, Denmark even holand etc were also mentioned. 

No surprise that the teams with big crowds and full stadiums but in the smaller leagues are at risk. 

Rangers in particular must be concerned but 1 player sale of around £10m would see them good for the season.