*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Forever Hearts
46 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

😂 what did you expect. Surely any hearts fan would be more concerned at the old firm than of st Johnstone have enough cash in the bank. 

I get that. I'm trying to explain to you why St Johnstone do what they do. If you reply "I understand why they do it" then we are going round in circles. 

• Replies 62.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Been trying to find out when st Johnstone gave them 3 stands. Could it be January 2020. That’s all I can find, an article from then. If so then it’s doubtful it’s helped their success too much.

I agree though, it’s Rangers and Celtic who ruin things up here. Just not that happy seeing clubs help them out. 

iirc it was last season that Saints changed but don’t know if they had already decided before the season started.  They may or may not have budgeted for that, who knows but if they did they may have been able to bring in a couple of players or keep a couple of players they couldn’t otherwise afford - we’re all speculating!

Livi and Killie though have been doing it for years I believe (perhaps not 3 stands in the case of Killie but very large numbers as it is quite a big stadium).

40 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I get that. I'm trying to explain to you why St Johnstone do what they do. If you reply "I understand why they do it" then we are going round in circles. 

I know why they do it. They do it for the money. I don’t even really know what we are arguing about. We all know it help Rangers and Celtic to have big crowds at away games and we all know small clubs do it for the money. I don’t like that situation. I don’t think there’s much more to add because as you say we are just going back and forth. 

10 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

iirc it was last season that Saints changed but don’t know if they had already decided before the season started.  They may or may not have budgeted for that, who knows but if they did they may have been able to bring in a couple of players or keep a couple of players they couldn’t otherwise afford - we’re all speculating!

Livi and Killie though have been doing it for years I believe (perhaps not 3 stands in the case of Killie but very large numbers as it is quite a big stadium).

Was a bit pissed last night when we were arguing. I 100% understand why St Johnstone do it. They do it because it benefits them. I just don’t like the fact that everything works towards the old firm getting more advantages. That’s it in a nutshell. Do I blame st Johnstone? To be honest I despise clubs pandering to the old firm even if it benefits that club. They are a cancer. The media, sfa, spfl all pander to them already. It sickens me tbh. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I know why they do it. They do it for the money. I don’t even really know what we are arguing about. We all know it help Rangers and Celtic to have big crowds at away games and we all know small clubs do it for the money. I don’t like that situation. I don’t think there’s much more to add because as you say we are just going back and forth. 

Maybe if you repeat that another 100 times it may sink in... and fair play to you for standing your ground mate.

In fact, there's not 1 single person on this forum that doesn't 'get' WHY they do it. We all know WHY they do it, we all know WHY Livingston and Killie do it. It was never the 'question'. It was a discussion about the consequences... and anyone that doesn't get that, is just trolling.

I totally agree with you. This is a problem because of how our game is run, and who it's run for... it's forcing clubs to make decisions that just make them 'tinpot' in my book. It sickens me also and devalues the Scottish game. All in my opinion, of course.

1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Maybe if you repeat that another 100 times it may sink in... and fair play to you for standing your ground mate.

In fact, there's not 1 single person on this forum that doesn't 'get' WHY they do it. We all know WHY they do it, we all know WHY Livingston and Killie do it. It was never the 'question'. It was a discussion about the consequences... and anyone that doesn't get that, is just trolling.

I totally agree with you. This is a problem because of how our game is run, and who it's run for... it's forcing clubs to make decisions that just make them 'tinpot' in my book. It sickens me also and devalues the Scottish game. All in my opinion, of course.

Hits the nail on the head for me. 

Forever Hearts
13 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

It's still not sinking in to you that St Johnstone can't magic fans out of thin air. There's a reason why Tynecastle, Easter Road and Pittodrie aren't filled with home fans only when the Old Firm come calling. I'll leave it to you to work out. 

Edited by Forever Hearts

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

It's still not sinking in to you that St Johnstone can't magic fans out of thin air. There's a reason why Tynecastle, Easter Road and Pittodrie isn't filled with home fans when the Old Firm come calling. I'll leave it to you to work out. 

Cant magic fans out of thin air? How no? I thought that's how it happened.... next you'll be telling me they don't grow on trees! Maybe you could get a job with them as their Marketing Director... if you put as much effort into that as you do trolling on here, they may just get more fans on board!

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Cant magic fans out of thin air? How no? I thought that's how it happened.... next you'll be telling me they don't grow on trees! Maybe you could get a job with them as their Marketing Director... if you put as much effort into that as you do trolling on here, they may just get more fans on board!

Trolling for pointing out some simple facts and economics? Aye, nae bother. 

You stick to lala land and leave the rest of us to live in the real world. 

26 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Trolling for pointing out some simple facts and economics? Aye, nae bother. 

You stick to lala land and leave the rest of us to live in the real world. 

Ok byeee.👋

3 hours ago, basel04 said:

Since when was tynecastle have the same capacity as tannadice? It’s nowhere near 25 percent of the ground. 

I never said it was?

Fozzyonthefence

Was a bit pissed last night when we were arguing. I 100% understand why St Johnstone do it. They do it because it benefits them. I just don’t like the fact that everything works towards the old firm getting more advantages. That’s it in a nutshell. Do I blame st Johnstone? To be honest I despise clubs pandering to the old firm even if it benefits that club. They are a cancer. The media, sfa, spfl all pander to them already. It sickens me tbh. 

I don’t think any of us like how everything is done to the advantage of the OF.  I wish they would just die or **** off to another league, preferably a 2 team league on the moon.  Hate what they both stand for and shouldn’t be happening in 21st century Scotland.  Both an absolute wank stain and embarrassment to Scottish society. 

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

So…the same as St Johnstone

St Johnstone can't fill their ground with their own fans though, whereas we can. I've nothing against teams with a low fan base giving up more tickets for travelling fans, makes sense for their business. 

49 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It's still not sinking in to you that St Johnstone can't magic fans out of thin air. There's a reason why Tynecastle, Easter Road and Pittodrie isn't filled with home fans when the Old Firm come calling. I'll leave it to you to work out. 

Ok, seriously this time - 

Johnstone vs Galatasaray. Europa League Qualifying Third Round. 7:00pm, Thursday 12th August 2021. McDiarmid Park Attendance: 9,106.12 Aug 2021

St. Johnstone vs Linz ASK. Europa Conference League Qualifying Play-offs. 7:00pm, Thursday 26th August 2021. McDiarmid Park Attendance: Attendance 8,845.

...St Johnstone attendances last month in their European games. I can't see either Galatasaray or Linz getting half of the ground... so where are these fans on a Saturday?

St Johnstone obviously have the support, so why are they not attending league matches? That's a question for St Johnstone to answer NOT you and me.

6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I don’t think any of us like how everything is done to the advantage of the OF.  I wish they would just die or **** off to another league, preferably a 2 team league on the moon.  Hate what they both stand for and shouldn’t be happening in 21st century Scotland.  Both an absolute wank stain and embarrassment to Scottish society. 

Yep. No arguing with that. 

Everything wrong with our game goes back to the evil ugliness.  

This new report they have commissioned is the last chance to do something about it for years.

A cancer is the only way to describe their influence on our game.  

Just now, Auldbenches said:

Everything wrong with our game goes back to the evil ugliness.  

This new report they have commissioned is the last chance to do something about it for years.

A cancer is the only way to describe their influence on our game.  

Not holding out much hope for the review. Got to try things but I doubt it’ll even ruffle feathers tbh. 

8 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

St Johnstone can't fill their ground with their own fans though, whereas we can. I've nothing against teams with a low fan base giving up more tickets for travelling fans, makes sense for their business. 

But we don't though.

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Johnstone vs Galatasaray. Europa League Qualifying Third Round. 7:00pm, Thursday 12th August 2021. McDiarmid Park Attendance: 9,106.12 Aug 2021

St. Johnstone vs Linz ASK. Europa Conference League Qualifying Play-offs. 7:00pm, Thursday 26th August 2021. McDiarmid Park Attendance: Attendance 8,845.

...St Johnstone attendances last month in their European games. I can't see either Galatasaray or Linz getting half of the ground... so where are these fans on a Saturday?

St Johnstone obviously have the support, so why are they not attending league matches? That's a question for St Johnstone to answer NOT you and me.

You're comparing a one off European tie which was full of glory hunters and neutrals to run of the mill league games? 

Do you know anything about football fans? 

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

You're comparing a one off European tie which was full of glory hunters and neutrals to run of the mill league games? 

Do you know anything about football fans? 

Whatever.... they had fans last month. So they have FANS - glory-hunting or otherwise... you asked where they get them from? Answer - They have them already and they choose not to go watch their team on a Saturday. Go figure. It's up to St Johnstone to entice them back. What is it you can't understand about that?

...and what's with the condescension and hostility you seem to always want resort to? Grow up.

Didn't Livi give us 3 stands in the early days of Romanov? We won 4-1.

Also recall us similarly taking over McDermiad for the Cup QF in 1996. We had the usual away end, the stand across from the tv camera and most, if not all, of the stand behind the other goal.

Forever Hearts
Just now, Rogue Daddy said:

Whatever.... they had fans last month. So they have FANS - glory-hunting or otherwise... you asked where they get them from? Answer - They have them already and they choose not to go watch their team on a Saturday. Go figure. It's up to St Johnstone to entice them back. What is it you can't understand about that?

...and what's with the condescension and hostility you seem to always want resort to? Grow up.

Guess what? Families etc go to big games and then ditch the diddy games. Crazy eh? It's why the likes of Dundee United can take 30,000 to Hampden for a cup final but struggle to get 7,000 for home games. 

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

Guess what? Families etc go to big games and then ditch the diddy games. Crazy eh? It's why the likes of Dundee United can take 30,000 to Hampden for a cup final but struggle to get 7,000 for home games. 

Yes, correct... so you agree, they have fans. I repeat.. its up to St Johnstone to get them (glory-hunters) back. 🤷‍♂️ Wouldn't you agree?

Forever Hearts
5 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yes, correct... so you agree, they have fans. I repeat.. its up to St Johnstone to get them (glory-hunters) back. 🤷‍♂️ Wouldn't you agree?

Ffs. These kind of fans are not interested in going every week and they never will be. That goes for glory hunting fans and day trippers of every club in the land. 

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Ffs. These kind of fans are not interested in going every week and they never will be. That goes for glory hunting fans and day trippers of every club in the land. 

🤣🤣🤣 so now you are agreeing that St Johnstone have fans, they just don't want to go? FFS give it up.... if their own club can't make at least, 'some' of the 8000 or so fans that were present at the European games, come back - they're simply not trying hard enough. Then again, maybe these 'fans' are sick of the current set up of the Scottish game like most of us... and don't want to watch the 4 x games a season against the same clubs?

This brings me back to my 'answer'... Scottish football needs ripped up and started again, so that it's fairer for ALL. Better competition, a more even distribution of wealth - a product that is 'more' competitive than at present... maybe then, supporters of some of these smaller teams will be enticed to come back and clubs like St Johnstone and Livi don't have to 'sell out' to the OF (and us on occasion!)

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

🤣🤣🤣 so now you are agreeing that St Johnstone have fans, they just don't want to go? FFS give it up.... if their own club can't make at least, 'some' of the 8000 or so fans that were present at the European games, come back - they're simply not trying hard enough. Then again, maybe these 'fans' are sick of the current set up of the Scottish game like most of us... and don't want to watch the 4 x games a season against the same clubs?

This brings me back to my 'answer'... Scottish football needs ripped up and started again, so that it's fairer for ALL. Better competition, a more even distribution of wealth - a product that is 'more' competitive than at present... maybe then, supporters of some of these smaller teams will be enticed to come back and clubs like St Johnstone and Livi don't have to 'sell out' to the OF (and us on occasion!)

They have fans who will go to the odd big game or cup final, just the same as Hearts and every other club. These fans are exactly that -  fans. They are not supporters who go week in week out.

2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

They have fans who will go to the odd big game or cup final, just the same as Hearts and every other club. These fans are exactly that -  fans. They are not supporters who go week in week out.

So why don't they want to 'support' their team every week? I can't answer that any more than you can... that's for St Johnstone to figure out. And they SHOULD try. Anyway - we're just going round in circles, so I'm bowing out to watch the Ryder Cup. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

🤣🤣

He'd be gutted if the rangers fans allocations were cut back. 

Only time he Comes out to play is when it's anything that involves rangers. 

He cares a lot. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

🤣🤣

He'd be gutted if the rangers fans allocations were cut back. 

Only time he Comes out to play is when it's anything that involves rangers. 

He cares a lot. 

You'll be hoping Hibs win their semi v Rangers? 🙂

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

So why don't they want to 'support' their team every week? I can't answer that any more than you can... that's for St Johnstone to figure out. And they SHOULD try. Anyway - we're just going round in circles, so I'm bowing out to watch the Ryder Cup. 

Because they have better things to do and football isn't their priority. Simple as that. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

👍

Don't sit on the fence. 

Let us know how you feel. 🤣

52 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Talk about condescension?

It's not as simple as do enough enticing and they will come.

Fozzyonthefence

These aren’t fans that are ever going to support them every 2nd week.  Also, how many of them do you think were Saints fans and how many neutral / Rangers / Celtic fans?  Perth only had a population of circa 50k last time I checked,  may be a bit bigger now but it’s not a big town.

You can ask that question of the fans of most clubs who only turn up for cup finals or big games including us. Look at the Gretna cup final in 2006. 40k Hearts fans there that day - where are they every 2nd Saturday?  This isn’t just a problem for St Johnstone, in fact the only teams in Scotland it’s not a problem for are Rangers and Celtic as they can pretty much fill their ground every home game.

We had 32k at the Athens game. 🤷‍♂️

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

👍

Don't sit on the fence. 

Let us know how you feel. 🤣

I shouldn’t have held back so much!

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We had 32k at the Athens game. 🤷‍♂️

Yep and I was sitting next to a few friends of a mate who are Falkirk fans.  They just fancied taking in a big game that was easy to get tickets for.  Suspect it was similar for the Euro games at Perth.

And as I said earlier, we had over 40k v Gretna.  What are we doing to get them back?

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yep and I was sitting next to a few friends of a mate who are Falkirk fans.  They just fancied taking in a big game that was easy to get tickets for.  Suspect it was similar for the Euro games at Perth.

And as I said earlier, we had over 40k v Gretna.  What are we doing to get them back?

Tbf, what we aren't doing is turning our home stadium into a home game for the of, or like St Mirren- setting up a OF club shop in our own back yard. 

There's doing little or nothing then there is actively helping your city or community to buy into the OF and how great they are!

Selling out 3 stands, like setting up a club shop is almost encouraging your local support to follow the other team imo. 

If you go a step further, ensuring the game or league set up doesn't change just so you can get a few £ v the OF, stifles progress, stops change and over the  longer term could see more fans drift away from their local club and possibly Scottish football. 

Short term £ v longevity of your club and league competition imo. 

We've been very bad in general  at being fair and looking longer term. 

The whole way the covid situation was handled highlighted this for me more than anything. 

Even taking us out. 

Declaring celtic winners just so European football was protected. 

Treatment of Partick 

Treatment of the regional sides. 

All stunk. 

The whole thing was dealt with terribly. 

Short term and imo small term thinking is rife at most clubs. 

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbf, what we aren't doing is turning our home stadium into a home game for the of, or like St Mirren- setting up a OF club shop in our own back yard. 

There's doing little or nothing then there is actively helping your city or community to buy into the OF and how great they are!

Selling out 3 stands, like setting up a club shop is almost encouraging your local support to follow the other team imo. 

If you go a step further, ensuring the game or league set up doesn't change just so you can get a few £ v the OF, stifles progress, stops change and over the  longer term could see more fans drift away from their local club and possibly Scottish football. 

Short term £ v longevity of your club and league competition imo. 

We've been very bad in general  at being fair and looking longer term. 

The whole way the covid situation was handled highlighted this for me more than anything. 

Even taking us out. 

Declaring celtic winners just so European football was protected. 

Treatment of Partick 

Treatment of the regional sides. 

All stunk. 

The whole thing was dealt with terribly. 

Short term and imo small term thinking is rife at most clubs. 

Do you think St Johnstone would sell 3 stands to OF teams if they could fill them with their own fans?

I've not seen a single positive explanation about what they can do to increase support other than "something " and looking to the long term which will somehow be different and better. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Do you think St Johnstone would sell 3 stands to OF teams if they could fill them with their own fans?

I've not seen a single positive explanation about what they can do to increase support other than "something " and looking to the long term which will somehow be different and better. 

I've have given my summary 

Cba going over the root causes of Scotland being shite, league set up, split, playing 4 times, tin pot teams selling out to the OF and the need for a overhaul as the league hasn't been one by anyone else for generations. 

Been done to death. 

St Johnstone, livi, Killie, St Mirren can do what they want for a fast buck and to keep the lights on. 

Doesn't stop me thinking it's shite and bad in the long term for them and Scottish football and that alternative actions are available. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Just watching the du - hibz Cup game on replay freesports.   McGinn crafty work for a penalty.    Just reaffirms to me he dived at Tynie against Boyce.   The defender taps the ball with his toe.    Collum gave it though ☺    second half after the adverts, I'm still to see the offside goal. 

36 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I've have given my summary 

Cba going over the root causes of Scotland being shite, league set up, split, playing 4 times, tin pot teams selling out to the OF and the need for a overhaul as the league hasn't been one by anyone else for generations. 

Been done to death. 

St Johnstone, livi, Killie, St Mirren can do what they want for a fast buck and to keep the lights on. 

Doesn't stop me thinking it's shite and bad in the long term for them and Scottish football and that alternative actions are available. 

I don't think changing the structure of the league would entice more fans to the likes of St Johnstone.  In fact possibly less as there would be less "big games" for them to go watch their side and replace with who?  A Morton or Ayr?  Why would more St Johnstone fans go to the football to see that exactly? 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I don't think changing the structure of the league would entice more fans to the likes of St Johnstone.  In fact possibly less as there would be less "big games" for them to go watch their side and replace with who?  A Morton or Ayr?  Why would more St Johnstone fans go to the football to see that exactly? 

They'd probably be more St Johnstone fans at these games than v the OF. 

Seeing your team win games tends to bring your fans out, not the opposition 

Hope and variety that a different league brings. 

It's not as simple as a bigger league and lots of the positives aren't direct, they're more indirect and longer term. 

It's not only St Johnstone. 

St Mirren with club shop was the most ridiculous, but if the argument is purely financial like many are saying then that's OK as well. 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

They'd probably be more St Johnstone fans at these games than v the OF. 

Seeing your team win games tends to bring your fans out, not the opposition 

Hope and variety that a different league brings. 

It's not as simple as a bigger league and lots of the positives aren't direct, they're more indirect and longer term. 

It's not only St Johnstone. 

St Mirren with club shop was the most ridiculous, but if the argument is purely financial like many are saying then that's OK as well. 

They've just won 2 cups and still have this poor crowd.  I doubt winning a few more league games would bring them out in their droves.    Would the away support of Morton of Ayr compare with the old firm selling out normal allocations also?  They would probably end up with even less customers per season. 

Edited by Robbies Tackle

5 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Alot of the 40k against Gretna was a family day out. Mums, Grannies, Grandads, who because of the opposition fancied it. Thousands of them won't have been at a match since.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

They've just won 2 cups and still have this poor crowd.  I doubt winning a few more league games would bring them out in their droves.  

As I said longer term. 

Takes a bit vision, not looking at the next 3 games or even 3 seasons. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

As I said longer term. 

Takes a bit vision, not looking at the next 3 games or even 3 seasons. 

Can't see it myself.   Us, Aberden, Hibs perhaps.  The rest would lose crowds and ££. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Can't see it myself.   Us, Aberden, Hibs perhaps.  The rest would lose crowds and ££. 

Death by 1000 cuts imo. 

Killie are the best example of this, used to get big crowds, then sold out to the OF. 

It's not only about crowds either. 

39 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Just watching the du - hibz Cup game on replay freesports.   McGinn crafty work for a penalty.    Just reaffirms to me he dived at Tynie against Boyce.   The defender taps the ball with his toe.    Collum gave it though ☺    second half after the adverts, I'm still to see the offside goal. 

Well I've seen the disallowed goal now.   Lino flags for offside, it wasn't.   The referee looks at lino but gives a free kick for a foul , which it wasn't either.    So a case of misreading the signal also non-communication.   Very amateur.