*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I maybe mistaken here but, those arguing about the likes of St Johnstone and Livingston giving the OF three stands for their supporters weren't around in the days before all seated stadia.

The OF having more supporters at the likes of the old Muirton Park, East End Park  Starks Park, and even Tynecastle and Easter Road was not uncommon.

Quite a few of us posting on here can remember the days when the OF brought through anywhere between 15,000 and 20,000+ to both Tynecastle and Easter Road. Now the biggest difference between now and then was that clubs shared the gate money from league games along with cup games.

The biggest change that helped the OF the most, was the agreement for clubs to keep all monies from home league games. This benefits the OF the most as they have stadiums that hold 52,000 and 60,000 respectively. The next largest after that is I believe Pittodrie at 21,000+. Now how often is Tynecastle, Pittodrie, Easter Road, Tannadice, McDermid Park, Tannadice, Dens Psrk, Fir Park, St Mirren and Ross County grounds full a season, compared to Celtic Park and Ibrox?

Having a pop at clubs for taking the OF pound when they play them at home is futile. The OF are already away out in front with their stadiums being at least 98% full 19 times a league season.

For Celtic that is 19 x 40,000 more than Pittodrie and for Sevco its 19 x 30,000 more than Pittodrie. That is one he'll of a financial advantage to have to begin with.

Nail on head. 

• Replies 62.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Ok, I’ll play Devil’s advocate and go along with the huge crowd = extra advantage.  So, surely you have to concede that taking away that huge crowd = taking away that extra advantage (I’m not talking about taking away their financial advantage or their players being far better).  

You’re the one saying that giving them more fans is giving them more advantage.  So going back to a smaller allocation (or zero allocation) is taking away that extra advantage (or in other words, levelling the playing field a bit but obviously not in financial terms).  

Think we’re getting too tied up in what I was meaning by “levelling” to be honest. 

Tbh it just annoys me just how much is weighted in the old firms favour. Of course, if there was only say one stand of old firm fans rather than three it would be less of an advantage to them. St Johnstone, as an example, only gave the OF three stands very recently so I doubt how much it helped their success last season. It might not be a huge advantage but any player or manager will say that support helps. 

Right now it’s just a few clubs that give them three stands but they’re getting more and more dominant. In a few season it’s not hard to imagine everyone bar us, hibs and the sheep will give them three stands. Surely that isn’t good. Not offering any solutions but I stand by what I’ve said, if a clubs business relies on the old firm then that’s unsustainable. How will these clubs possibly attract supporters of their own?

Remember those days when the OF brought that number through. It was before segregation and tickets. We'll over a hundred  buses parked on Chesser Avenue and surrounding streets at 1pm.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, martoon said:

Independence Day 2...about to start on Film 4.

Thinking of turning over.

Is it any good?

Is it, at least, better than listening to Celtic and Hibs 3 up?

Nah, I'd have watched that, not seen it. 

scott herbertson
4 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Here’s the thing though … as you say they won both cups last season. That was phenomenal for a team outside the OF. If there was ever a reason for their fans to return (and a lot of them did for their European games)… where the feck are they when the uglies come to town!?  
I struggle to consider these teams ‘professional’ when the RELY on the OF pound. How can a team be viewed as professional when their finances depend on a rival team(s)? It’s one of the reasons the uglies dominate everything ‘Scottish football’… whether the St Js/Livis or whoever, rely on the money or not, they are a part of Scottish footballs problem. They are helping the old firms dominance of our game. 

I agree but there isn't really an alternative for them or the  fans who turn up for them. It's the same for nearly every club in Scotland (and in the lower leagues of any other league for that matter). Their own fans gate receipts are not enough to survive therefore they are dependant on the visits of the bigger clubs.

It's worse in Scotland than elsewhere because we have the superdominant ugly sisters. There big money to be had for the small clubs by letting them in, and if they don't they go to the wall.

You could blame their fans for not turning up - but by the same token Edinburgh is much bigger than perth and we didn't sell out every game after our cup winning years either. So we are part of the problem too, by your argument.

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Tbh it just annoys me just how much is weighted in the old firms favour. Of course, if there was only say one stand of old firm fans rather than three it would be less of an advantage to them. St Johnstone, as an example, only gave the OF three stands very recently so I doubt how much it helped their success last season. It might not be a huge advantage but any player or manager will say that support helps. 

Right now it’s just a few clubs that give them three stands but they’re getting more and more dominant. In a few season it’s not hard to imagine everyone bar us, hibs and the sheep will give them three stands. Surely that isn’t good. Not offering any solutions but I stand by what I’ve said, if a clubs business relies on the old firm then that’s unsustainable. How will these clubs possibly attract supporters of their own?

That’s the point though, they know they can’t attract more supporters.  Like any struggling business they’re not going to turn away customers, it would be financial suicide.  Some fag packet maths, even if only an extra 4,000 fans at one game at £30 a pop, that’s an extra £120k.  In the top 6 they should (could) get 4 of these games, that’s maybe £480k.  That’s huge money for a club like them. How many new players wages might that pay?

1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Hibs it = bottle it/**** up. 

Surely ‘Hibsing it’ is losing from a comfortable or seemingly safe position. If Rangers merely beat them fair and square that’s not Hibsing it. If however Hibs Are 2-0 up with 20 minutes to go and end up losing, Thats Hibsing it.

Just now, JimmyCant said:

Surely ‘Hibsing it’ is losing from a comfortable or seemingly safe position. If Rangers merely beat them fair and square that’s not Hibsing it. If however Hibs Are 2-0 up with 20 minutes to go and end up losing, Thats Hibsing it.

I can't speak for Morgan.

I'm thinking he was meaning it in context that they are doing okay just now but that bubble will burst /  Hibs it.

:)

3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I can't speak for Morgan.

I'm thinking he was meaning it in context that they are doing okay just now but that bubble will burst /  Hibs it.

:)

Fair enough but let’s have a good laugh at Hibs when they are trailing in our wake again. For now they are the target and putting them back in their box might not be as easy as it used to be

2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

That’s the point though, they know they can’t attract more supporters.  Like any struggling business they’re not going to turn away customers, it would be financial suicide.  Some fag packet maths, even if only an extra 4,000 fans at one game at £30 a pop, that’s an extra £120k.  In the top 6 they should (could) get 4 of these games, that’s maybe £480k.  That’s huge money for a club like them. How many new players wages might that pay?

I get it from their point of view but every single change in Scottish football no matter how small always seems to work to the benefit of the old firm. I don’t like clubs selling out to them, it just plays into their hands and more clubs seem to be doing it more often. As I said, worst case scenario, abs I do think this will happen, is a few years doen the line and there’s 7 clubs out of 12 playing to one stand of their own fans on OF day. 

A few seasons ago Motherwell actually moved season ticket holders to accommodate old firm fans in a cup game. They couldn’t buy their own seat. 

there probably aren’t any solutions which is sad. The more decades the old firm dominate the less fans of other clubs there will be. In the meantime I’ll continue to dislike these clubs who to quote you ‘whore themselves out to the old firm’

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Hibs it = bottle it/**** up. 

Their semi final record is terrible, maybe even as bad as their record in finals.

They certainly Hibsed It last season in the semis - favourites twice going in to the last 4. Probably the best chance they'll ever have for a cup double.

Even if they win the phrase "Hibsed It" can be used to describe Rangers. It's part of the Scottish footballing lexicon now.

Guest ToqueJambo
46 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Football fans aren't just customers though and football isn't just about making money. Fans are literally part of the game and can have a large impact on individual games. Home advantage is not just about playing on your own grass it's also having the backing of the home support and making it tough for opponents. Inviting more of your opponents' fans in to make it almost like a home game for them is giving away that advantage. It's massively tinpot.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I maybe mistaken here but, those arguing about the likes of St Johnstone and Livingston giving the OF three stands for their supporters weren't around in the days before all seated stadia.

The OF having more supporters at the likes of the old Muirton Park, East End Park  Starks Park, and even Tynecastle and Easter Road was not uncommon.

Quite a few of us posting on here can remember the days when the OF brought through anywhere between 15,000 and 20,000+ to both Tynecastle and Easter Road. Now the biggest difference between now and then was that clubs shared the gate money from league games along with cup games.

The biggest change that helped the OF the most, was the agreement for clubs to keep all monies from home league games. This benefits the OF the most as they have stadiums that hold 52,000 and 60,000 respectively. The next largest after that is I believe Pittodrie at 21,000+. Now how often is Tynecastle, Pittodrie, Easter Road, Tannadice, McDermid Park, Tannadice, Dens Psrk, Fir Park, St Mirren and Ross County grounds full a season, compared to Celtic Park and Ibrox?

Having a pop at clubs for taking the OF pound when they play them at home is futile. The OF are already away out in front with their stadiums being at least 98% full 19 times a league season.

For Celtic that is 19 x 40,000 more than Pittodrie and for Sevco its 19 x 30,000 more than Pittodrie. That is one he'll of a financial advantage to have to begin with.

Good post John & to pour more pish on the chips of those debating/arguing, St Johnstone did NOT give The Rangers 3 stands for their recent match. They were allocated the 2 "smaller" stands behind the goals & 1 section in the Main Stand. Home fans were located in the remainder of Main Stand & Stand opposite, albeit not near to capacity.

HMFC had their usual stand behind the goals & 1 section of the Main Stand & a small number of fans in the "Family Stand" behind the goals at the South End of the ground for the 3 - 3 game in 2019/20 season. As an aside we have the ability to get tickets for 3 sides at Livi which dependent on our form, we could be close to selling out.

St Johnstone also benefit greatly from their Commercial Department. A nice way of describing use of private rooms for catering of funeral parties due to being next door to the Crematorium.They must be glad of the relaxing of restrictions regarding numbers attending funerals as this is significant for their income at the football club.

A good run football club will look at all aspects of income both from match day & non match day sources to aid their ability to field a better team on the park. HMFC also benefit from this factor, in fact we must have suffered to a great deal during the pandemic with the reduced number of companies utilising the New Stand facilities at Tynecastle Park.

St Johnstone have 2 shining cups in their trophy cabinet at present to show for their Commercial decisions whether we like it or not, as opposed to being a team struggling in the Championship or below.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Well said John

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

He's as solid as a post vindaloo toaly. 

Fluke performance against us.

:fth:

What is it with these average keepers having absolute stormers against us this season? Mark Ridgers for Inverness (we all know he's average, possibly below average), Macey a few weeks ago, then the Ross County keeper last week, his debut and he saves a shot destined for the bottom corner from Gnando, and his header a few minutes later also. Both efforts from Gnando were good enough to be goals on another day imo. 

You can feel we are due someone a doing, and I reckon it will be Livi on Saturday. 3-0 is my prediction, but then that's not a complete doing, so let's hope it's something like 5-0. Revenge definitely due for us vs them. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

Салатные палочки
6 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

Aye, but who's gonna volunteer for that.

I will...

Screenshot_20210924-053227_Instagram.thumb.jpg.3e552abe2f01f9d9d81501db10f1e04b.jpg

44 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I will...

Screenshot_20210924-053227_Instagram.thumb.jpg.3e552abe2f01f9d9d81501db10f1e04b.jpg

Me too!

I would have great fun with that!

Been vascectomied. Nae need tae tell her that😉

”Whits that ye said hen? It didnae take??? Oh well lets try again!!😜

Forever Hearts
7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I already said no fans is not a leveller because it’s not close to level in the first place. The other advantages the old firm have ensure that but I’ve said it again. 

there is nothing contradictory about that. 

you trying to narrow the argument to only away fans giving the old form an advantage is something of your invention. 

all I said was 3 stands of your own supporters gives you an advantage. 

But you'd have no problem with Hearts getting three stands? 

Forever Hearts
7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Hang on a second. Celtic have the best away record in the league going back ten years before last season so I hardly think this season negates that. 

yes it is unfair. Too many things in the game up here are unfair and the overwhelming majority of them are unfair in the old firms favour. I understand the small clubs are maximising their income. It also gives the old firm an advantage away from home. 

These clubs placings in the league generally aren't decided in games against Rangers and Celtic. If getting a few hundred thousand pounds from their visit allows them to buy better players to compete with the teams on their level/budget then surely that's understandable? St Johnstone are looking after St Johnstone. 

11 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

These clubs placings in the league generally aren't decided in games against Rangers and Celtic. If getting a few hundred thousand pounds from their visit allows them to buy better players to compete with the teams on their level/budget then surely that's understandable? St Johnstone are looking after St Johnstone. 

St johnstone are a pain in the erse but a club a few could learn from it.  They accept their budget and try and do the best with it.

We can argue about the merits of giving the uglies more tickets, but they won a double last year.  

Luckily we aren't in that position but can't criticise other clubs for trying to increase income to help improve their team. 

Living within their means and trying for extra income shouldn't define them as not being a premiership team.

They don't have the equivalent of foh money and need to fill empty seats.  I can't see the problem if they are willing to give up what should be home advantage.  I'm Just glad we don't have to. 

19 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I understand they’re looking after themselves. They are also helping Rangers and Celtic by allowing them massive away supports to cheer their sides on. I don’t have to like the old firm having an increasing number of away fixtures where they get 3 stands. 

8 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Your grandchildren won’t give a **** because they’ll be Rangers or Celtic fans. 

No, they will be Barca, Juve, Man City,  Real Madrid, Liverpool fans

47 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I understand they’re looking after themselves. They are also helping Rangers and Celtic by allowing them massive away supports to cheer their sides on. I don’t have to like the old firm having an increasing number of away fixtures where they get 3 stands. 

No one should be giving them more seats than home fans but it's worked for saints due to the success they've had.  

It's difficult to blame clubs like that for the lack of fans when there are too many locals willing to just follow the old firm due to being glory hunters.

It's that lot that are helping to ruin our game. 

Forever Hearts
55 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That's all very noble in principle, but not in reality. What would your solution be? They play to a half empty stadium and drastically cut much needed income? 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We say we are a big club but still have to give them 25% of Tynie to fill the ground. 

We don't have to, we could give them less and fill it. 

We did in the championship season. 

20 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We say we are a big club but still have to give them 25% of Tynie to fill the ground. 

We give them the full stand to maximise sales. It also makes for a better atmosphere, although the last game was utter shite.

8 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

We give them the full stand to maximise sales. It also makes for a better atmosphere, although the last game was utter shite.

So…the same as St Johnstone

18 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

We don't have to, we could give them less and fill it. 

We did in the championship season. 

So why do we not do that every time we play them?

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

No idea, we should tho. 

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Because depending on form we're not guaranteed to fill the empty seats. Basically we do what St Johnstone and every other club does, just in a smaller scale. 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

So…the same as St Johnstone

Fair point. 

I think most know why teams do it, it doesn't stop think it's just a bit shite, especially for a team that are double cup winners. 

Until the TV money closes that gap nothing will change. 

The thing that annoys me most is that these clubs vote for a smaller league and to play each team 4 times because of this and are unLikley to change. 

It's as bad as that shite house manager saying they voted against reconstruction because of the travel costs. 

Selfish, short sighted and adds nothing to our league as a package imo. It effects the entire game. 

Chairman should maybe look At Killies crowds and see what happens when you pander to the OF and the effects over 2/3 decades. 

Also Be interesting to see that, even being in a lower league and no OF  what happens to their crowds as they will be challenging at the top. 

However, as you say these clubs cannot say no to hundreds of thousands of pounds over a season. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

8 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

I agree but there isn't really an alternative for them or the  fans who turn up for them. It's the same for nearly every club in Scotland (and in the lower leagues of any other league for that matter). Their own fans gate receipts are not enough to survive therefore they are dependant on the visits of the bigger clubs.

It's worse in Scotland than elsewhere because we have the superdominant ugly sisters. There big money to be had for the small clubs by letting them in, and if they don't they go to the wall.

You could blame their fans for not turning up - but by the same token Edinburgh is much bigger than perth and we didn't sell out every game after our cup winning years either. So we are part of the problem too, by your argument.

Everything you say above is correct. I agree with everything you’ve said here. In fact everyone in this forum will agree, these smaller clubs will do anything to maximise their income… even if it means selling out to rival clubs (by way of away support allocation). I get it!

And if it’s within the rules of the game, they CAN absolutely do it. They could give away their whole ground if they wanted. 

IMO it’s tinpot, unprofessional and amateurish to resort to this, to RELY, on away support to survive. Where is their own support? They (smaller teams) hardly have ‘huge’ grounds to fill 10k or so? What are their club doing on a community level to get these fans in so that they don’t need to rely on away support?

Again, IMO, it’s the Scottish game that has to change - the governance, the set up… everything. So that these clubs DONT have to rely on taking the OF £, because, like it or not, they ARE contributing to the problem. Let’s be honest, the OF have these small clubs right where they want them… in their back pockets.

And yes, we probably are part of the problem when we get 3 stands. 

46 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

No one should be giving them more seats than home fans but it's worked for saints due to the success they've had.  

It's difficult to blame clubs like that for the lack of fans when there are too many locals willing to just follow the old firm due to being glory hunters.

It's that lot that are helping to ruin our game. 

Been trying to find out when st Johnstone gave them 3 stands. Could it be January 2020. That’s all I can find, an article from then. If so then it’s doubtful it’s helped their success too much.

I agree though, it’s Rangers and Celtic who ruin things up here. Just not that happy seeing clubs help them out. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Everything you say above is correct. I agree with everything you’ve said here. In fact everyone in this forum will agree, these smaller clubs will do anything to maximise their income… even if it means selling out to rival clubs (by way of away support allocation). I get it!

And if it’s within the rules of the game, they CAN absolutely do it. They could give away their whole ground if they wanted. 

IMO it’s tinpot, unprofessional and amateurish to resort to this, to RELY, on away support to survive. Where is their own support? They (smaller teams) hardly have ‘huge’ grounds to fill 10k or so? What are their club doing on a community level to get these fans in so that they don’t need to rely on away support?

Again, IMO, it’s the Scottish game that has to change - the governance, the set up… everything. So that these clubs DONT have to rely on taking the OF £, because, like it or not, they ARE contributing to the problem. Let’s be honest, the OF have these small clubs right where they want them… in their back pockets.

And yes, we probably are part of the problem when we get 3 stands. 

Do you think these clubs haven't tried to entice local fans to come and support them? 

43 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

That's all very noble in principle, but not in reality. What would your solution be? They play to a half empty stadium and drastically cut much needed income? 

I’m not really that interested in st Johnstone’s finances tbh. As I’ve said, my problem is the further advantage it hands the old firm, in a country where every advantage is already afforded to them. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Been trying to find out when st Johnstone gave them 3 stands. Could it be January 2020. That’s all I can find, an article from then. If so then it’s doubtful it’s helped their success too much.

I agree though, it’s Rangers and Celtic who ruin things up here. Just not that happy seeing clubs help them out. 

They're not doing it to help the Old Firm out. That is a by-product of St Johnstone making around £500k a year from filling otherwise empty seats by selling them to the Old Firm. 

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Do you think these clubs haven't tried to entice local fans to come and support them? 

No idea. 

Forever Hearts
Just now, GinRummy said:

I’m not really that interested in st Johnstone’s finances tbh. As I’ve said, my problem is the further advantage it hands the old firm, in a country where every advantage is already afforded to them. 

There's no answer to that.🙈

28 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Since when was tynecastle have the same capacity as tannadice? It’s nowhere near 25 percent of the ground. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Some of them don't have a choice though.  We are lucky in that we have a big support and the foh money. 

Chance of extra income to help keep someone who works the in a job or too much pride?  

You're probably right on the success aspect as killie have been doing it for a while and look where they are. 

It's not clubsike saints that are to blame. 

Can we go back to patronising them by including them in our polls as the nonchalance option? 

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

They're not doing it to help the Old Firm out. That is a by-product of St Johnstone making around £500k a year from filling otherwise empty seats by selling them to the Old Firm. 

I know. Helping out the old firm is just a consequence of that. 

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

There's no answer to that.🙈

😂 what did you expect. Surely any hearts fan would be more concerned at the old firm than of st Johnstone have enough cash in the bank. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

There's other advantages they get that have a greater impact. 

Taking their money to try and improve things is understandable. 

18 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Because depending on form we're not guaranteed to fill the empty seats. Basically we do what St Johnstone and every other club does, just in a smaller scale. 

And we have the cheek to call ourselves a professional club 😛

3 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

There's other advantages they get that have a greater impact. 

Taking their money to try and improve things is understandable. 

That’s right. This is just another advantage to add to the huge list of advantages. No matter how heavily weighted things are in their favour, something else seems to happen that helps them out even more. 

10 hours ago, sadj said:

No thats not what Im saying. Everything is OF centric , these teams are complicit in the reasons Scottish football lacks competitiveness. Instead of short term greed , long term vision would allow us to possibly reach a place where teams like Livi and St Johnstone can afford better players as they play in a more competitive league that means not relying on OF fans to fund them. Sadly we will never know because they wont risk the OF £

Good post. Scottish football in a nutshell👍