*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Alot of the 40k against Gretna was a family day out. Mums, Grannies, Grandads, who because of the opposition fancied it. Thousands of them won't have been at a match since.

Exactly, same as the 9k that were turning up for St Johnstone’s euro games. That’s the point I was making - 40k is not our real fan base and nor is 9k Saints’ real fan base.

• Replies 62.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Arbroath might get a cheeky 1-1 draw tonight versus killie. 

Shouldn't do any harm to Killies title ambition.    Then again, every point might count, since there are at least three teams with a chance to win  the league. 

Edited by HMFC01

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I think Arbroath might get a cheeky 1-1 draw tonight versus killie. 

Shouldn't do any harm to Killies title ambition.    Then again, every point might count, since there are at least three teams with a chance to win  the league. 

Killie should walk that league. 

Jambo na hÉireann
30 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Killie should walk that league. 

I personally think they'll **** it. Lack of squad depth, overly confident...it's got Hibs circa 2015-16 written all over it. I reckon ICT for automatic, Killie to lose playoffs. Though wouldn't bet against Arbroath at this moment in time. Also think raith will turn things around

6 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Have we got anyone on loan at either Arbroath or Killie? Can't think for the life of me.

chris hamilton at arbroath, no 18

6 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Have we got anyone on loan at either Arbroath or Killie? Can't think for the life of me.

Chris Hamilton I think?

2 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Do you think St Johnstone would sell 3 stands to OF teams if they could fill them with their own fans?

I've not seen a single positive explanation about what they can do to increase support other than "something " and looking to the long term which will somehow be different and better. 

Imagine the seethe if the likes of St J and Livvy only gave us 500 tickets 😂

Just now, Sertse said:

Creating quite a lot. Big battering ram type player, big uche vibes. 

I think he's more like an Octopus in a phone box

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Alot of the 40k against Gretna was a family day out. Mums, Grannies, Grandads, who because of the opposition fancied it. Thousands of them won't have been at a match since.

Yip.

My mate and I took our families that day. The mood changed as the day went on ! 😂

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I've have given my summary 

Cba going over the root causes of Scotland being shite, league set up, split, playing 4 times, tin pot teams selling out to the OF and the need for a overhaul as the league hasn't been one by anyone else for generations. 

Been done to death. 

St Johnstone, livi, Killie, St Mirren can do what they want for a fast buck and to keep the lights on. 

Doesn't stop me thinking it's shite and bad in the long term for them and Scottish football and that alternative actions are available. 

The teams you've mentioned have all won cups while keeping their lights on,and that's what football is about winning

40 minutes ago, Sertse said:

25 and on loan from Livingston, surprising they've loaned him, he's standing out

Hes an emmm…interesting player

42 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I think he's more like an Octopus in a phone box

🤣

42 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

yup quite skilful as well

His decision making is horrendous. Not sure how skilful he is really , that flick wi his back was quite funny though

Brown Stuff 74
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I reckon per head of population St J are roughly similar to us when it comes to attendances. 

How are you measuring that? Bear in mind this is the most successful team in their history so this is as good as attendances will ever get for them. 

22 minutes ago, Brown Stuff 74 said:

How are you measuring that? Bear in mind this is the most successful team in their history so this is as good as attendances will ever get for them. 

I am dividing the number of people on Edinburgh and lothians with our average crowds, keeping in mind our hibernian friends are here as well. And then I divide the population of Perthshire with St J’s average crowd. 

I can show you my working and perhaps pull up a few slides if it helps 😁

Forever Hearts
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I am dividing the number of people on Edinburgh and lothians with our average crowds, keeping in mind our hibernian friends are here as well. And then I divide the population of Perthshire with St J’s average crowd. 

😂😂😂

Brown Stuff 74
28 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

What were the average crowds for our greatest ever side? 

5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Death by 1000 cuts imo. 

Killie are the best example of this, used to get big crowds, then sold out to the OF. 

It's not only about crowds either. 

And what do you think came first?

Lower crowds or selling out to the Old Firm,?

The big difference in Scottish football is the demise of the middle ranked teams like Killie, St Johnstone,  Dunfermline etc.

They used to be able to draw big crowds but that seems to have changed. 

Killie didn't build a 20K stadium for away supporters but now can't attract their own fans.

But if they just play the long game things will apparently be different. 

Guest ToqueJambo
13 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Do you think St Johnstone would sell 3 stands to OF teams if they could fill them with their own fans?

I've not seen a single positive explanation about what they can do to increase support other than "something " and looking to the long term which will somehow be different and better. 

They can do what every team has to do to increase attendances: put out a team that wins consistently in the league. Not cups, the league week in week out, one that expects to challenge for at least a European spot in Scotland every season. 

Winning is literally the only thing that will increase attendances, attract new fans and bring back lapsed fans. Even the OF lose fans when they're not winning. Look at some of their 80s attendances. The draw of a 90-min bigot fest alone wasn't enough for lots of people.

Giving the OF 3 stands is definitely not going to do that and the extra money is not going to make them consistently successful - so long-term they're reducing the chances of them increasing their support.

To win more games more consistently and therefore attract more fans they need to a) find a rich buyer who pumps money every season or b ) ... well that's it.

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

They can do what every team has to do to increase attendances: put out a team that wins consistently in the league. Not cups, the league week in week out, one that expects to challenge for at least a European spot in Scotland every season. 

Winning is literally the only thing that will increase attendances, attract new fans and bring back lapsed fans.

Giving the OF 3 stands is definitely not going to do that and the extra money is not going to make them consistently successful - so long-term they're reducing the chances of them increasing their support.

To win more games more consistently and therefore attract more fans they need to a) find a rich buyer who pumps money every season or b ) ... well that's it.

:facepalm: 

8 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Will there be pie charts? Got to be pie charts for a proper presentation.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

:facepalm: 

Cup wins don't lead to a big spike in attendances, unless the team keeps winning in the league following a cup win. See the team being discussed - St J.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Cup wins don't lead to a big spike in attendances, unless the team keeps winning in the league following a cup win. See the team being discussed - St J.

2591D785-6E2E-47A9-BD6A-48754C9D5A2E.jpeg

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Des Lynam said:

2591D785-6E2E-47A9-BD6A-48754C9D5A2E.jpeg

Oh sorry, there's me thinking we were discussing the long term. So St J are winning a cup every season now and their support will just continue to rise and stay there? Cool.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Forever Hearts said:

#awkward

Not awkward at all. St J did well in the league as well didn't they under Davidson? Not so good this season so far mind you so let's see how their attendances go if they don't have a winning team anymore.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Not awkward at all. St J did well in the league as well didn't they under Davidson? Not so good this season so far mind you so let's see how their attendances go if they don't have a winning team anymore.

Are you suggesting they’ve sold more season tickets because they finished 5th rather than winning two cups?