*** Other Scottish football match thread, for anyone who gives a ****

tartofmidlothian

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Why is it unsustainable? There will always be Old Firm fans wanting tickets for games. 

Because it’s an unreliable income stream and relies on st Johnstone staying in the league and in the top 6. That’s unsustainable because they are not increasing their own fan base or their own customer base. They are merely delaying the inevitable.

• Replies 63k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

No, it’s better for st Johnstone short term. What happens when they get relegated. What happens when they can’t get the three stands filled four times a season? It’s a classic example of short termism. 

The same that happens to all the other teams that get relegated.  They have to cut their cloth accordingly (as we did too).  Not really sure why you have a problem maximising their income while they are up there though. What would your solution be - minimise income through pish crowds?  That would be an interesting business model that Budge disagrees with too. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Folk can moan about it all they like but we need VAR up in Scotland.

Its the lesser of two evils. 

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Ok I’ll spell this out clearly for you because you’re obviously struggling with simple logic.  Smaller clubs generate a lot more income by maximising ticket sales by giving the OF the majority of their ground (and not just with the OF, Livi do it with Hearts and Hibs too and I’ve seen us at McDiarmid Park with 6k fans out of a 10k crowd.

It’s simple economics.  More income = bigger player budget and if the football recruitment side is doing its job then they should be able to afford better players.  If you can’t grasp that I ****ing despair. 

Holy ****. What makes you think I don’t get that. It doesn’t and will never enable these clubs to compete with the old firm. What it does is hand the old firm yet another advantage in a long long list of advantages. The fact you despair at something I’ve already said I understand yet completely refuse to acknowledge the further advantage given to them makes me despair. Prattling on about livi giving hearts extra tickets is barely relevant. 

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Because it’s an unreliable income stream and relies on st Johnstone staying in the league and in the top 6. That’s unsustainable because they are not increasing their own fan base or their own customer base. They are merely delaying the inevitable.

They’ve managed to stay in the Premiership a lot longer than us. We’ve been relegated twice which suggests our strategy was unsustainable. 

2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The same that happens to all the other teams that get relegated.  They have to cut their cloth accordingly (as we did too).  Not really sure why you have a problem maximising their income while they are up there though. What would your solution be - minimise income through pish crowds?  That would be an interesting business model that Budge disagrees with too. 

You win mate. Let’s hope for a future where every game is a home game for the old firm. 

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, GinRummy said:

Holy ****. What makes you think I don’t get that. It doesn’t and will never enable these clubs to compete with the old firm. What it does is hand the old firm yet another advantage in a long long list of advantages. The fact you despair at something I’ve already said I understand yet completely refuse to acknowledge the further advantage given to them makes me despair. Prattling on about livi giving hearts extra tickets is barely relevant. 

So less OF fans means the other teams have a better chance of winning the league?

24 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

They sure get a lot of dodgy penalties do the tramps.

The Porteous penalty on Saturday wasn't one either.

Havent seen that one but the one tonight was levels…

Been told three times tonight we should worry about Hibs. They can counter attack but they are at best no better than us. United were awful first half , Hibs got a penalty that wasnt and then United a goal chalked off that looked onside. Theres really been little in this bar the ref and lino

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

They’ve managed to stay in the Premiership a lot longer than us. We’ve been relegated twice which suggests our strategy was unsustainable. 

Yup. You’ve won the argument. 👍🏻

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

So less OF fans means the other teams have a better chance of winning the league?

Yep. More fans is never an advantage. How could I have overlooked that. 

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

I know I have.  Cheers 👍

Sad to see a hearts fan defending the old firm via st Johnstone but I guess the more grounds they visit with three stands of uglies the better it is for all clubs. All that extra cash swilling around. 

So looks like both of us beat Dundee Utd there by a 2 goal margin with each getting a pen. Stats wise though it looks like Hibs have got lucky here, Dundee Utd certainly had more of the game than they did vs us. 

Edited by Arthur Morgan

2 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

So looks like both of us beat Dundee Utd there by a 2 goal margin with each getting a pen. Stats wise though it looks like Hibs have got lucky here, Dundee Utd certainly had more of the game than they did vs us. 

Hibs have been pony , Dundee utds defence for the first 👀 then after Mulgrew went off took them a while to sort themselves out at the back. The pen was criminal from Collum , the chalked off goal iv only seen once but looked onside , Hibs have offered nothing second half

Tom Hardy’s Dug
11 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Well once and that was a result of a complete lack of strategy and a grossly imbalanced spending policy.

We’ll never know if we would have been relegated 2 seasons ago as the league was cut short.

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, GinRummy said:

Yep. More fans is never an advantage. How could I have overlooked that. 

Ok, so can you remind me what happened last season, the only season ever that the OF have had zero fans?

Don’t bother, I’ll do it for you.  Rangers with no fans were unbeaten.  They got 102 points which I think was a record. They finished 39 points ahead of 3rd place Hibs in a season when they had no fan advantage whatsoever.  In fact it would appear that Rangers actually perform better with no fans rather than 50k at home or a huge away following. 

So, Celtic and Rangers with loads of fans home and away win the league. Celtic and Rangers with no fans win the league even more easily.  Conclusion?  It makes no ****ing difference whatsoever whether they get 3 stands at The Tony Macaroni or MacDiarmid, they’ll win the league anyway. 

But it does make a difference to these wee teams and I don’t begrudge them trying to make themselves more competitive.  

But bash on slavering your pish if it makes you feel better.

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Hibs have been pony , Dundee utds defence for the first 👀 then after Mulgrew went off took them a while to sort themselves out at the back. The pen was criminal from Collum , the chalked off goal iv only seen once but looked onside , Hibs have offered nothing second half

sums it up

Yogi Hughes about Hibs on the radio...

"Let's hope they get ...oh well, there's no easy ties left with the Old Firm and St Johnstone..."

🤣🤣

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Sad to see a hearts fan defending the old firm via st Johnstone but I guess the more grounds they visit with three stands of uglies the better it is for all clubs. All that extra cash swilling around. 

Personally I enjoyed going to Livi and St Johnstone with 3 stands full of Hearts fans. 

Ok, so can you remind me what happened last season, the only season ever that the OF have had zero fans?

Don’t bother, I’ll do it for you.  Rangers with no fans were unbeaten.  They got 102 points which I think was a record. They finished 39 points ahead of 3rd place Hibs in a season when they had no fan advantage whatsoever.  In fact it would appear that Rangers actually perform better with no fans rather than 50k at home or a huge away following. 

So, Celtic and Rangers with loads of fans home and away win the league. Celtic and Rangers with no fans win the league even more easily.  Conclusion?  It makes no ****ing difference whatsoever whether they get 3 stands at The Tony Macaroni or MacDiarmid, they’ll win the league anyway. 

But it does make a difference to these wee teams and I don’t begrudge them trying to make themselves more competitive.  

So do you believe more fans is an advantage or nor? That was the question abs not a Covid affected season. Is it an advantage or isn’t if?

Personally I enjoyed going to Livi and St Johnstone with 3 stands full of Hearts fans. 

I’m sure the hearts team enjoy having us there. Probably the same fir the Rangers and Celtic teams when they visit the increasing number of grounds where they occupy three stands. 

that has been the thrust of the argument. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Well once and that was a result of a complete lack of strategy and a grossly imbalanced spending policy.

We’ll never know if we would have been relegated 2 seasons ago as the league was cut short.

Correct and that I think is the first time I have used the “r” word in relation to 2 seasons ago. 

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You are completely missing the point here. The financial disparity caused by having a limited number of OF fans would force clubs like Livi and St Johnstone to operate on smaller budgets , that then in turn means clubs with bigger supports (in Scotland fan income is vital as opposed to England where it doesnt matter) would have an advantage. That would surely lead to an increased gap between say Hearts and St Johnstone and possibly a decreased gap between Rangers and Hearts as we would hopefully drop less points against a lower quality of battling team. Would it be shit short term..probably , would it make the game more competitive and therefore in all likelihood more marketable allowing these teams to them get a stronger footing with TV and sponsorship deals moving forward , i think yes. 

Edited by sadj

25 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

They're enjoying the best decade in their history. 😁

Correct and that I think is the first time I have used the “r” word in relation to 2 seasons ago. 

Slavering pish I think you called it. 

1 minute ago, Savage Vince said:

They're enjoying the best decade in their history. 😁

I know.  😂. That’s not because they give the old firm three stands they only started doing that a season or two ago. 

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

You are completely missing the point here. The financial disparity caused by having a limited number of OF fans would force clubs like Livi and St Johnstone to operate on smaller budgets , that then in turn means clubs with bigger supports (in Scotland fan income is vital as opposed to England where it doesnt matter) would have an advantage. That would surely lead to an increased gap between say Hearts and St Johnstone and possibly a decreased gap between Rangers and Hearts as we would hopefully drop less points against a lower quality of battling team. Would it be shit short term..probably , would it make the game more competitive and therefore in all likelihood more marketable allowing these teams to them get a stronger footing with TV and sponsorship deals moving forward , i think yes. 

Good point, Scottish football decisions tend not to look to the future or betterment of the game long term. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

So do you believe more fans is an advantage or nor? That was the question abs not a Covid affected season. Is it an advantage or isn’t if?

Well it would appear no fans is an advantage to Rangers would it not?  They get less points when they have fans, as they will do again this season - did you not understand that point?  You would agree they did amazingly well both in the league and Europe last season right?

Your argument is that not having 3 stands away is a leveller.  So, using your logic, having no stands must be an even bigger disadvantage to them?  Yet Rangers were unbeaten. 

So you believe no Rangers fans would be a big disadvantage to them?  Thank god there were no fans last season then, I hate to think how many points Rangers would have got.

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Well it would appear no fans is an advantage to Rangers would it not?  They get less points when they have fans, as they will do again this season - did you not understand that point?  You would agree they did amazingly well both in the league and Europe last season right?

Your argument is that not having 3 stands away is a leveller.  So, using your logic, having no stands must be an even bigger disadvantage to them?  Yet Rangers were unbeaten. 

So you believe no Rangers fans would be a big disadvantage to them?  Thank god there were no fans last season then, I hate to think how many points Rangers would have got.

My argument was never that not having three stands away was a leveller. You’ve just made that up. 

ive asked you a simple question three times. 

is having more of their own fans at games an advantage to a team. Yes or no? Why are you so desperate not to answer. 

Edited by GinRummy

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Slavering pish I think you called it. 

That was you I was referring to.  The point still stands, “short term” St Johnstone have managed to stay in the Premiership for the last 13 years, winning 3 cups in the last 7, while we’ve found ourselves in the 2nd tier twice through a mixture of financial mismanagement and football mismanagement, winning no cups in that 7 year period. 

That short term plan seems to be working pretty well, meanwhile we just embarrass ourselves with our own short term 5 year plans which totally backfire. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

My argument was never that not having three stands away was a leveller. You’ve just made that up. 

is having more of their own fans at games an advantage to a team. Yes or no? Why are you so desperate not to answer. 

Having zero fans is a leveller to a degree but more often than not the better team will prevail. Having zero away fans and lots of home fans is most definitely a benefit to the home side more often than not esp against the OF imo

That was you I was referring to.  The point still stands, “short term” St Johnstone have managed to stay in the Premiership for the last 13 years, winning 3 cups in the last 7, while we’ve found ourselves in the 2nd tier twice through a mixture of financial mismanagement and football mismanagement, winning no cups in that 7 year period. 

That short term plan seems to be working pretty well, meanwhile we just embarrass ourselves with our own short term 5 year plans which totally backfire. 

They’ll disappear eventually. Because it’s unsustainable. The old firm will just get stronger and stronger though. Aided by clubs like st Johnstone 

10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Jack Ross showing Robbie how to finish a game of football within 45 mins 😂😉

Fans are singing Hibs are going to hampden. 

He also showed you’re hero Stendel how to keep a struggling team in the Premiership. He made it look a piece of piss. 

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Having zero fans is a leveller to a degree but more often than not the better team will prevail. Having zero away fans and lots of home fans is most definitely a benefit to the home side more often than not esp against the OF imo

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Exactly. Just as giving the old firm a massive allocation benefits them. 

15 minutes ago, sadj said:

So if I've understood you correctly see push teams like S t Johnstone shouldn't try to maximise revenue.

this will make Scottish football more competitive because teams like Hearts might be closer to the Old Firm as they're able to take more points off the likes of St Johnstone.

okay then.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

**** me, you’re all over the place 🤣. You were claiming earlier that it was damaging the game because it was an advantage to the OF.  So to be clear - are you seriously saying that, on the one hand,  3 stands to the OF is an advantage to them but on the the other hand not having 3 isn’t a leveller for the smaller team?  Do you understand what contradiction means?

I would have thought that having more  away fans might be an advantage at some games but the evidence last season would suggest that’s not the case.  Certainly Rangers seem to be more comfortable with no fans, maybe their players just can’t handle the pressure of playing in front of big crowds, who knows. Also, if you look at Hearts, we’re generally always shite away from home despite having a good following.  Football isn’t as simple as the team with the most fans wins.

Don't really care about league cup now tbh but isn't it just so predictable that the old firm are kept apart again, it's as if the powers that be are already salivating over a potential old firm final. It's probably not but just feels so corrupt at times.

1 minute ago, Hmfc1965 said:

So if I've understood you correctly see push teams like S t Johnstone shouldn't try to maximise revenue.

this will make Scottish football more competitive because teams like Hearts might be closer to the Old Firm as they're able to take more points off the likes of St Johnstone.

okay then.

No thats not what Im saying. Everything is OF centric , these teams are complicit in the reasons Scottish football lacks competitiveness. Instead of short term greed , long term vision would allow us to possibly reach a place where teams like Livi and St Johnstone can afford better players as they play in a more competitive league that means not relying on OF fans to fund them. Sadly we will never know because they wont risk the OF £