Craig Gordon signs for Hearts (title updated)

Back to 2005

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

I wonder where it all went wrong with some of our support.

I remember when Neil McCann returned to Tynie with Rangers after moving there, he ran around the pitch applauding the hearts support, and being applauded back. 

That you Ann?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• jack D and coke

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Craig Gordon is no Hearts man I wish people would get that through their heads. The second he chose Celtic over us was evidence of that. On his knees praying to the gods when they won the treble is an image burnt into my mind. No hearts man would ever fall to his knees for their glory. 
The likes of him and Pressley won’t be remembered fondly by those mutants they’ll be almost instantly forgotten as they aren’t “sellic men” but wouldve been loved and idolised here. 
Not only did they take the terrorist lovers pound they played up to them in front of us and even at our own place after making their names with us. 
Craig Gordon wouldn’t get near Hearts if I had anything to do with it.  

I know what you mean. It’s just like this guy. How dare he celebrate winning a cup with a team that he didn’t support growing up:

B43C20DA-93F6-4BE3-8628-468CD8CD61FF.thumb.jpeg.e08e6dee1d0ca006026ad14a65b5d4ea.jpeg

BOOOOOOO! Traitor!

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Tenor said:

I know what you mean. It’s just like this guy. How dare he celebrate winning a cup with a team that he didn’t support growing up:

B43C20DA-93F6-4BE3-8628-468CD8CD61FF.thumb.jpeg.e08e6dee1d0ca006026ad14a65b5d4ea.jpeg

BOOOOOOO! Traitor!

Came back and behaved himself🥰
I’ll bet he didn’t act an absolute wank playing against Slavia and getting it right up their fans either☺️

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Been saying this since we were linked with him in January. There's no doubting his goalkeeping ability and he is a lot better than Zlamal for instance, but I have serious doubts over his fitness and when you look at the stats on the time he's spent out injured, it's actually ridiculous. So yeah, good keeper, but I think there's better value for money to be had out there and that signing him would be a bit of a risk because of how injury prone he's been throughout his entire career. 

He's averaged 32 games a season in his 18 year career. Pretty decent for someone "injury prone throughout his entire career"

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Came back and behaved himself🥰
I’ll bet he didn’t act an absolute wank playing against Slavia and getting it right up their fans either☺️

Did Craig Gordon do something to you? Why so upset?

A footballer’s career is very short. Celtic offered him a load of money to play there. Enough for him to retire happily after he was finished. He has a family to think about. He had a job to do. While in that job, he enjoyed massive success, so why the hell wouldn’t he celebrate? It’s not as if he was in the stands celebrating Celtic winning titles, he was celebrating that he was part of a winning team.

I, for one, would love to see him back in maroon. I have no doubt that he’s still a Hearts man.

Phil D. Corners

Last week I was meh about the cup semi. 

But with Robbie back and potentially  Gordon in goals I’m a lot more excited. 

Roxy Hearts
16 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Thanks😃

JDC you're one of the good guys but not with you on this. If he plays for us and when we beat Celtic, I'm sure Craig will enjoy it! Get on board good guy as I enjoy your posts. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Newton51 said:

They didn’t call Rodgers the snake for nothing! Look at dembele comments after he left 

He left his wife and kids for a 20 something and got those teeth, a snake doesn’t scratch the surface. Another big mouth from NI, angry shouty folk. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Tenor said:

Did Craig Gordon do something to you? Why so upset?

A footballer’s career is very short. Celtic offered him a load of money to play there. Enough for him to retire happily after he was finished. He has a family to think about. He had a job to do. While in that job, he enjoyed massive success, so why the hell wouldn’t he celebrate? It’s not as if he was in the stands celebrating Celtic winning titles, he was celebrating that he was part of a winning team.

I, for one, would love to see him back in maroon. I have no doubt that he’s still a Hearts man.

Well put. He’s a winner.  I can’t find the photo but he’s sitting cool as a cucumber on the bench as it all kicks off in an OF game, he’s not tainted by them at all. 

Hope to see him back, he’s got a great future as a coach and can see him being an important part of helping the young talent coming through. 

He’s a proper Hearts man. 

Batistuta87
Just now, Flaps_98 said:

He's averaged 32 games a season in his 18 year career. Pretty decent for someone "injury prone throughout his entire career"

Naw he's no...

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2001–2007 Heart of Midlothian 139 (0)
2001–2002  Cowdenbeath (loan) 12 (0)
2007–2012 Sunderland 88 (0)
2014– Celtic 147

(0)

= 386 appearances

01/02, 02/03, 03/04, 04/05, 05/06, 06/07, 07/08, 08/09, 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13, 13/14, 14/15, 15/16, 16/17, 17/18, 18/19, 19/20 = 19 seasons

386 / 19 = 20.3 games per season. 

08/09 injured 13 games

09/10 injured 13 games

10/11 injured 30 games

12/13 injured entire season

13/14 injured entire season 

17/18 injured 14 games

18/19 injured 3 games

If that's not injury prone I don't know what is. 

19 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Naw he's no...

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2014– Celtic 147

(0)

= 386 appearances

01/02, 02/03, 03/04, 04/05, 05/06, 06/07, 07/08, 08/09, 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13, 13/14, 14/15, 15/16, 16/17, 17/18, 18/19, 19/20 = 19 seasons

08/09 injured 13 games

09/10 injured 13 games

10/11 injured 30 games

17/18 injured 14 games

18/19 injured 3 games

You're only looking at league appearances. Go back to the wikipedia page again and look at career statistics.

13 games for Cowdenbeath

176 for Hearts

95 for Sunderland

242 for Celtic

plus 54 for Scotland.

590 in total

Also he never played any games in 2001/02.

Edited by Flaps_98
misspelling

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

You're only looking at league appearances. Go back to the wikipedia page again and look at career statistics.

13 games for Cowdenbeath

186 for Hearts

95 for Sunderland

242 for Celtic

plus 54 for Scotland.

590 in total

Alos he never played any games in 2001/02.

Doesn't matter - if he's averaged 20 league games a season then he's missed an average of 18 league games a season... 

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Doesn't matter - if he's averaged 20 league games a season then he's missed an average of 18 league games a season... 

Naw he's averaged 32 a season! 580 appearances over 18 seasons - 32.2 games a season.

image.png

Edited by Flaps_98
misspelling

Batistuta87
3 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

Naw he's averaged 32 a season! 580 appearances over 18 seasons - 32.2 games a season.

image.png

You just said I was only looking at league games... So looking at league games (386 / 18 seasons) he's played an average of 21 games per season. There's 38 league games in a season, so he's missed an average of 18 league games a season. 

Ex member of the SaS
4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Craig Gordon is no Hearts man I wish people would get that through their heads. The second he chose Celtic over us was evidence of that. On his knees praying to the gods when they won the treble is an image burnt into my mind. No hearts man would ever fall to his knees for their glory. 
The likes of him and Pressley won’t be remembered fondly by those mutants they’ll be almost instantly forgotten as they aren’t “sellic men” but wouldve been loved and idolised here. 
Not only did they take the terrorist lovers pound they played up to them in front of us and even at our own place after making their names with us. 
Craig Gordon wouldn’t get near Hearts if I had anything to do with it.  

Can't understand this proper Hearts man stuff. The guy is a profession footballer with a very limited " live span ". They don't care what team they play for as long as they are winning something./ Every title, cup and national cap adds to their CV and means higher wages.

Gordon could support the Martians for all I care ,as long as he stop the ball going into our net.

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

You just said I was only looking at league games... So looking at league games (386 / 18 seasons) he's played an average of 21 games per season. There's 38 league games in a season, so he's missed an average of 18 league games a season. 

image.thumb.png.a78e65d0895f8eb01c1cf7491073cc1e.png

Make your own minds up. I don't class him as "injury prone". Aye he's had injuries of course. 17 missed games through injury in 6 years at Celtic.

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

If one thing is clear to me it’s that we have more than our share of utterly ****ing clueless absolute weapons in our support.

its become immeasurably worse since vlad arrived and caused a large part of our support to completely lose touch with reality

I hope that wasn't aimed at me 😄

You are right though, the expectations of our fan base is often wildly out of touch with reality. Add in that we have been completely underperforming for years and its a toxic mix.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Not with crosses. He didn't dominate his 6 yard box and beyond as he should have done with his height. The problem I have with him as a goalkeeping coach is that he never overcame that weakness. Distribution wasn't a strong point either.

But my biggest problem is his age and injury record. We should have learned our lesson on injury-prone players.

...coming for crosses may be one of his weaker points however using his frame to block and stop the ball hitting the back of the net is most definitely one of his strong points and what has set him apart from his peers....

This injury folklore quote again... 🤔

So we know of his 2 years plus out at Sunderland with a specific complaint...however since then (last 5 or 6 seasons say) what long term injuries has he had that makes him "injury-prone"?? People peddle this out time after time as fact or similar to a stated case, but never give an example(s) of these injuries????

Batistuta87
9 minutes ago, Flaps_98 said:

image.thumb.png.a78e65d0895f8eb01c1cf7491073cc1e.png

Make your own minds up. I don't class him as "injury prone". Aye he's had injuries of course. 17 missed games through injury in 6 years at Celtic.

Agreed to disagree 😂 ✌️

OmiyaHearts
15 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Those games missed don't all relate to being injured.

Dallas Green
17 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

The games you are saying he missed on average arent all down to injury though. He only became a regular starter for us in 03/04 and he didnt play last season with Celtic because they signed Forster.

His average is also a lot higher due to the fact he had a horrible knee injury at Sunderland that ended up meaning he didnt have a club for two years.

He has missed 17 games in 6 seasons (not first choice for the 6th) at Celtic.

49 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Naw he's no...

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2014– Celtic 147

(0)

= 386 appearances

08/09 injured 13 games

09/10 injured 13 games

10/11 injured 30 games

17/18 injured 14 games

18/19 injured 3 games

So somebody has an agenda!!!!

The first 2 seasons you have used in your wee equation, he was a bairn and wasnt even considered anywhere near being a first team player! Bizarre to do that. Even if you did use those years to try and prove a point, he didnt play because he was injured!!!!😂🤣

I would even argue the same for 03/04 tbh, its just plain daft to incorporate those seasons. 

Pretty much Sunderland apart, his injury record is entirely normal and nothing out the ordinary at all. Using your stats, he did miss the lion share with Tic in one season granted with an injury, and thats pretty much it.

There are countless players that can be described as injury prone over their careers (purely as an example, Andy Carroll would be a prime example regardless of level) and to whom anyone signing them must have their head checked, but CG isnt one of them, if you discount his horror time with Sunderland over 6 years ago. 

1 hour ago, jambo mark said:

I remember when Neil McCann returned to Tynie with Rangers after moving there, he ran around the pitch applauding the hearts support, and being applauded back. 

Not sure I remember it like that! Pretty sure one of his first games for Rangers was against us at Tynecastle and I can remember him being booed every time he touched the ball. 

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I wasn't suggesting the last bit.

The first priority is not to mentor Harry Stone. It is to have a reliable keeper who can be more relied on to be fit.

I would disagree in a way. 

Considering the hype & potential if Stone I would say it is a high priority to mentor him at this age. 

Also, if you think. 

First team keepers available atm, just in Scotland say:

Jamie MacDonald

Mark Gillespie

Wes Foderingham

Jak Alnick

Vaclav Hladky

Craig Gordon

Which of those could both improve our first team & have the added benefit of mentoring our bright prospect? 

I know that's just Scotland and a narrow example but it shows we could do a lot worse than Gordon atm

10 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

I would disagree in a way. 

Considering the hype & potential if Stone I would say it is a high priority to mentor him at this age. 

Also, if you think. 

First team keepers available atm, just in Scotland say:

Jamie MacDonald

Mark Gillespie

Wes Foderingham

Jak Alnick

Vaclav Hladky

Craig Gordon

Which of those could both improve our first team & have the added benefit of mentoring our bright prospect? 

I know that's just Scotland and a narrow example but it shows we could do a lot worse than Gordon atm

Gillespie, Foderingham, Gordon and Hladky would all be good signings

Rick Sanchez
1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

Ex keeper on the move

Decent cash in return for splinters in his arse.

Not bad.

Batistuta87

4 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Ex keeper on the move

I wonder if this means they're not in for Hladky any more.... 

Jambo 4 Ever
4 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

They wont need Hladky now

Would like us to get him

Nah 

best we get Gordon instead 

Just now, Natural Orders said:

Nah 

best we get Gordon instead 

Other side of the coin lots of sunderland fans calling for gordon back.

Batistuta87
7 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

They wont need Hladky now

Would like us to get him

Would be a superb signing. 

Just now, complete control said:

like I said in another thread he went beserk when he saved a penalty against us. elvis punched his chest against us. I don't see much difference but one player is viled by the majority ….

There's different scenarios for each individual. The chest pump from Pressley was a sad attempt to get onside (or suck up would be a better way of putting it) with fans who hated him as he was an ex-Rangers and Hearts player. He also did it as an "up you" to Romanov and he didn't look or even go near Hearts fans when he did that. I was over it in 10 seconds and it was forgotten about and even laughed about in the pub that night. By the time Gordon did what he did, Romanov wasn't even around so that was more of an insult to his former club than anything Pressley did.

Just now, jambo mark said:

Funny, I remember him warming up from the subs bench and being booed so he put his fingers in his ears and carried on running round warming up. May have given a small clap back to some who applauded but that wasn't the initial response.

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

...coming for crosses may be one of his weaker points however using his frame to block and stop the ball hitting the back of the net is most definitely one of his strong points and what has set him apart from his peers....

This injury folklore quote again... 🤔

So we know of his 2 years plus out at Sunderland with a specific complaint...however since then (last 5 or 6 seasons say) what long term injuries has he had that makes him "injury-prone"?? People peddle this out time after time as fact or similar to a stated case, but never give an example(s) of these injuries????

Dealing with crosses is a pretty fundamental part of a keeper's game. For a £9m keeper it was not just "one of his weaker points" it was a major deficiency.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, jambonian said:

There's different scenarios for each individual. The chest pump from Pressley was a sad attempt to get onside (or suck up would be a better way of putting it) with fans who hated him as he was an ex-Rangers and Hearts player. He also did it as an "up you" to Romanov and he didn't look or even go near Hearts fans when he did that. I was over it in 10 seconds and it was forgotten about and even laughed about in the pub that night. By the time Gordon did what he did, Romanov wasn't even around so that was more of an insult to his former club than anything Pressley did.

I don't give a toss about his behaviour or Pressley's in another shirt. Just as I'd expect any Hearts player to show delight when playing for Hearts whatever his background.

Denis Law and John Greig showed appropriate respect when scoring against United and Hearts respectfully but those were one off occasions when the game meant much much more to their opponents and former clubs or affiliations than to the teams they were playing for.

I just don't think Gordon would be a good signing.

Edited by Francis Albert

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Dealing with crosses is a pretty fundamental part of a keeper's game. For a £9m keeper it was not just "one of his weaker points" it was a major deficiency.

Yep, it was that much of a major deficiency he’s amassed 54 caps, Young player or the year, Player of the year x2, top 10 finishes in the EPL, EPL best ever save, Celtics all time appearance holder for a goalkeeper in Europe and over a dozen winners medals. 

Still got a few years to add to that too, hopefully with us.

Imagine what he could’ve done without these ‘major deficiencies’. . . 

Francis Albert
20 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Yep, it was that much of a major deficiency he’s amassed 54 caps, Young player or the year, Player of the year x2, top 10 finishes in the EPL, EPL best ever save, Celtics all time appearance holder for a goalkeeper in Europe and over a dozen winners medals. 

Still got a few years to add to that too, hopefully with us.

Imagine what he could’ve done without these ‘major deficiencies’. . . 

Could have got to a higher level than Hearts Sunderland and Celtic?

Can see why some wouldn’t want Gordon back tbh if we are to build for the future then there’s the Celtic love in and how he will be given a huge ovation by the whanks for his part in ten in a row and he would clap them and all that shit🤮.  

11 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Can see why some wouldn’t want Gordon back tbh if we are to build for the future then there’s the Celtic love in and how he will be given a huge ovation by the whanks for his part in ten in a row and he would clap them and all that shit🤮.  

Well that's done it for me.  No thanks Gordon!  I'll take Hladky and McDonald instead.   He is taking too long to commit as well, like some other poster said he's dropping his kegs for Celtic.

1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

Well that's done it for me.  No thanks Gordon!  I'll take Hladky and McDonald instead.   He is taking too long to commit as well, like some other poster said he's dropping his kegs for Celtic.

Aye good call tbh. 

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Keeping the baw outta the net is still the most important skillset...if you have a backline that can deal with that issue in any case and everyone knows where they stand, literally, coming for crosses isnt a dealbreaker. If it was a "major deficiency" he wouldnt have went on to play at the level he did and smash a transfer record which was held for a good amount of time. If he was so woeful he wouldnt have made it passed the Hearts...his career speaks for itself, it doesnt need you or I to debate or dissect... 😁

Edited by GavK1012
Typo