Craig Gordon signs for Hearts (title updated)

Back to 2005

Doesn't sound like a done deal based on this. Seems to be keeping his options open, possibly trying to prompt Celtic for a better offer (it doesn't necessarily sound like that's likely to come).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• jack D and coke

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

Doesn't sound like a done deal based on this. Seems to be keeping his options open, possibly trying to prompt Celtic for a better offer (it doesn't necessarily sound like that's likely to come).

I get the feeling the only stumbling block is what month we start back,if in the championship.

Ibrahim Tall
2 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Just worried we are being used as a bargaining tool

We are to an extent, it’d be naive to think if Celtic didn’t come in with an offer near his current wage he wouldn’t be staying there but that doesn’t mean he won’t come to Hearts if they don’t.

gashauskis9
12 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Just worried we are being used as a bargaining tool

Looks that way.  Never heard a player in negotiations with their current club come out publicly and say that the negotiations aren’t going well.  Very bizarre.

From that interview, I think he will be back. I don't think he would have said what he did about Hearts unless it's pretty much a done deal. A good dig as well at Celtic for how they have treated him, no way will he be back there after that. 

I presume his contract with Celtic expires at the end of the month and I wouldnt be surprised if he officially signs up on the 1st July, hope so anyway as he is exactly what we need and the path to coaching after it. 

10 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Looks that way.  Never heard a player in negotiations with their current club come out publicly and say that the negotiations aren’t going well.  Very bizarre.

Celtic aren't his current club. He was contracted until the end of the 2020 season. Since the season is now over, he's a free agent 😁

1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

Don’t think Lawwell will be happy with him

Don’t think Gordon is too happy with Lawwell so all the better for us.

jamboinglasgow
37 minutes ago, Martin said:

From that interview, I think he will be back. I don't think he would have said what he did about Hearts unless it's pretty much a done deal. A good dig as well at Celtic for how they have treated him, no way will he be back there after that. 

I presume his contract with Celtic expires at the end of the month and I wouldnt be surprised if he officially signs up on the 1st July, hope so anyway as he is exactly what we need and the path to coaching after it. 

yeah I agree, what I got is we are his first choice, but if Celtic want to keep him as a back up they have to pay a lot better.

Jamboscanbevicius

Outstanding keeper. Even approaching the end of his career, he’s a massive signing. Vastly better than anything we’ve had in the past couple of seasons!

Goldstone Wonder
4 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

jim cruickshanks triple save against hibs after saving a penalty and gordons triple against athens take some beating.

craig is welcome back for 2 reasons rob and jones

Was it not against Sparta Prague? Was definitely at Murrayfield. Pretty much the best individual piece of goalkeeping I’ve ever seen. 

7 minutes ago, Goldstone Wonder said:

Was it not against Sparta Prague? Was definitely at Murrayfield. Pretty much the best individual piece of goalkeeping I’ve ever seen. 

Yes, I’m sure it was. 

Glamorgan Jambo

If he ever wants to play for Hearts again he needs to join us now. That’s the decision he needs to make. He knew he’d be first choice for St Midden in the premiership and knocked them

back. I’m pretty sure he’ll sign.

4 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

If he ever wants to play for Hearts again he needs to join us now. That’s the decision he needs to make. He knew he’d be first choice for St Midden in the premiership and knocked them

back. I’m pretty sure he’ll sign.

Yup. Think its a done deal though. Celtic could get an abundance of quality keepers for less than it would cost to keep him.

The way he talks about the drop in wage suggests its ****ing huge. Like £15/20k p/w down to like £3/4l p/w plus playing 2nd string to Bain. 

For me Gordon still has a good year or two in him, as others have said Stone will be the one to benefit most. Struggling to see any negatives with this assuming he signs.

23 hours ago, Homme said:

Ann Budge. 

Well I’m missing something here, if we are definitely down I can understand but mid court case surely we can’t be signing/buying ?
unless we are admitting defeat to a league below and all is hey ho? 

6 hours ago, David McCaig said:

But all he does is make saves.

Watching that, we should have demanded 15m from sunderland. 

Arthur Morgan
9 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

My best memory of Gordon in recent memory was the look on his puss after he brought down Callachan in the 4-0. 
I’ll bet he’s never as big an arsehole to Celtic as he was to us if he ever plays against them again. 
Bellend. 

I don't like him anymore after his stint at Celtic. Hartley showed more class and he's a Celtic fan!

Jambo 4 Ever
4 hours ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Outstanding keeper. Even approaching the end of his career, he’s a massive signing. Vastly better than anything we’ve had in the past couple of seasons!

This 

8 hours ago, OTT said:

Yup. Think its a done deal though. Celtic could get an abundance of quality keepers for less than it would cost to keep him.

The way he talks about the drop in wage suggests its ****ing huge. Like £15/20k p/w down to like £3/4l p/w plus playing 2nd string to Bain. 

He was offered 1/40th of his previous basic wage. After he said no, Celtic said right well don’t sign for anyone else and if we don’t manage to get Forster in August we might come back with something. Apparently Lennon hasn’t even spoken to him since March which is a pretty shocking way to treat someone like that. Wouldn’t expect anything else from that club though. There’s more chance of Alfredo Morelos signing for Celtic than Gordon re-signing. 

What I take from that interview is that Celtic have treated him like crap, but he'd still rather try to get a new deal from them and play second fiddle rather than be an important player at the age of 37 for his 'boyhood club'. Those comments seem hollow. At no point has he thought 'my time at celtic is over, time to give back to my boyhood club and play a big part' (perhaps like Berra did for example when he first came back). He's still hoping to get them to make him an offer and sit on the bench. 

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

He was offered 1/40th of his previous basic wage. After he said no, Celtic said right well don’t sign for anyone else and if we don’t manage to get Forster in August we might come back with something. Apparently Lennon hasn’t even spoken to him since March which is a pretty shocking way to treat someone like that. Wouldn’t expect anything else from that club though. There’s more chance of Alfredo Morelos signing for Celtic than Gordon re-signing. 

Itk or a guess? 

11 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

At his age you would hope he would be wanting games and a bit of security. Treated shabbily by Lennon 

Treated worse by Rodgers who blocked a move to Chelsea (source, ex manager). 

5 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

Treated worse by Rodgers who blocked a move to Chelsea (source, ex manager). 

Edited by Newton51

Samuel Camazzola
12 hours ago, Martin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the signing mirrors the Naismith scenario where we wait until beginning of August. That way Gordon could collect a '13th month' payment from Celtic. 

21 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

As someone else has said, in his first spell, prob the only time I think we could say we have a top class/world class player in our ranks....

I think Niemi was better tbh

Jean Louis Valois
Just now, RS86 said:

I think Niemi was better tbh

I agree, been saying this for years. Niemi is the best goalie I've seen at Hearts. 

TyphoonJambo
47 minutes ago, DS98 said:

It’s true mate

Scandalous way to treat any employee. No wonder he wants away. 

Not a new thing for them though. My mates son was their u19 captain. Had captained scotland etc etc. Told a senior contract was coming then, when birthday came, told clear your locker. 

Edited by TypoonJambo

complete control
1 hour ago, HMFSee said:

What I take from that interview is that Celtic have treated him like crap, but he'd still rather try to get a new deal from them and play second fiddle rather than be an important player at the age of 37 for his 'boyhood club'. Those comments seem hollow. At no point has he thought 'my time at celtic is over, time to give back to my boyhood club and play a big part' (perhaps like Berra did for example when he first came back). He's still hoping to get them to make him an offer and sit on the bench. 

like I said in another thread he went beserk when he saved a penalty against us. elvis punched his chest against us. I don't see much difference but one player is viled by the majority ….

I am almost amazed Aberdeen or Hibs haven't been mentioned, with Gordon getting offered 4k plus possible appearance bonus at Celtic.  I can understand why Hibs might not with their current ordeal into the administration pit, Aberdeen have their number 1 already.  So that leaves us and some clubs from England that can compete with the wages.

He mentioned he wants first team football to try get into Scotland squad so we're a great prospect for him there.  Wages wont be an issue.  He will get a boost by playing for us as well you'd think.

Rick Sanchez

If he's a PHM with aspirations of first team football and to go into coaching, then we're the no brainer option.

Yet he's still dropping his knickers wanting Celtic to make him a better offer even though he'll be second choice to Scott Bain and working with Neil Lennon.

That's why I can't get behind him. Still be happy if he signs but not having the PHM. Berra done it properly.

complete control
13 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

If he's a PHM with aspirations of first team football and to go into coaching, then we're the no brainer option.

Yet he's still dropping his knickers wanting Celtic to make him a better offer even though he'll be second choice to Scott Bain and working with Neil Lennon.

That's why I can't get behind him. Still be happy if he signs but not having the PHM. Berra done it properly.

yer bang on mate

Not sure how anyone can complain about Gordon coming back having had to put up with the utter dross we've had in goal last season. Even at 40 he'd be better then the 3 we had last year put together.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, HMFSee said:

Craig Gordon is no Hearts man I wish people would get that through their heads. The second he chose Celtic over us was evidence of that. On his knees praying to the gods when they won the treble is an image burnt into my mind. No hearts man would ever fall to his knees for their glory. 
The likes of him and Pressley won’t be remembered fondly by those mutants they’ll be almost instantly forgotten as they aren’t “sellic men” but wouldve been loved and idolised here. 
Not only did they take the terrorist lovers pound they played up to them in front of us and even at our own place after making their names with us. 
Craig Gordon wouldn’t get near Hearts if I had anything to do with it.  

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the signing mirrors the Naismith scenario where we wait until beginning of August. That way Gordon could collect a '13th month' payment from Celtic. 

There's certain parallels with how Gordon is talking, as Naismith did 'keeping options open', so you could be right especially with the amount he will be on there. 

I don't agree with a few other comments that he is trying to get Celtic to make another offer, he's obviously fed up with them and seemingly done with them. A low ball offer to be a backup goalie, on top of them not allowing him to leave in January. I think he's using this time to have a go at them, knowing he is coming back to Hearts and wouldn't want to do that once he had signed for us. 

There's surely no way at this stage of his career that he would accept being a backup considering he's coming to the end of his career, has already missed a few years through injury and still wants to play for Scotland. 

17 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Craig Gordon is no Hearts man I wish people would get that through their heads. The second he chose Celtic over us was evidence of that. On his knees praying to the gods when they won the treble is an image burnt into my mind. No hearts man would ever fall to his knees for their glory. 
The likes of him and Pressley won’t be remembered fondly by those mutants they’ll be almost instantly forgotten as they aren’t “sellic men” but wouldve been loved and idolised here. 
Not only did they take the terrorist lovers pound they played up to them in front of us and even at our own place after making their names with us. 

If he signs he'll be two games away from a Scottish cup! A real chance paint a fresher picture to burn into peoples brain :)

20 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Get in the sea. Cut that boy open he’d bleed maroon.

Hes a professional footballer, who wants to win trophies, play at the highest level and earn as much as he can in a relative short career. 

As fans it’s our dream to play for the clubs we support - that’s in our hearts, but professionally they have to use their heads. No can argue he made the better career choice by going to them. 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

Get in the sea. Cut that boy open he’d bleed maroon.

Hes a professional footballer, who wants to win trophies, play at the highest level and earn as much as he can in a relative short career. 

As fans it’s our dream to play for the clubs we support - that’s in our hearts, but professionally they have to use their heads. No can argue he made the better career choice by going to them. 

:rofl:

He now wants to top us his pension plan cos Celtic are treating him poorly?

Gordon needs to get himself in the sea the Celtic tramp. 

26 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You need to get over it mate. It’s personal for some reason with you. If there’s a story to tell you should get it off your chest!

Craig is coming back and those of rational thinking are delighted. A world class goalie in his previous spell, made the club a truckload of money, donated his signing on fee (£900,000) to the academy, Scottish cup winner and  FOH subscriber. 

And I can’t remember how many times I’ve said this, he never chose Celtic over us 6 years ago. There was no contract on offer from us. Celtic were his ONLY option.

Batistuta87
3 hours ago, DS98 said:

Apparently Celtic have offered him £2k p/w, down from £12.5k p/w. I'd be surprised if we can even match that right now never mind beat it, but maybe its not all about the money and might be more about his role in the squad i.e. playing time and/or a potential coaching role, or about his personal life (he has a young family so would assume that ideally he won't want to move house or anything like that). But if he's holding out for a better offer from Celtic that would suggest that money is at least something to do with it!