Craig Gordon signs for Hearts (title updated)

Back to 2005

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, DS98 said:

You need to get over it mate. It’s personal for some reason with you. If there’s a story to tell you should get it off your chest!

Craig is coming back and those of rational thinking are delighted. A world class goalie in his previous spell, made the club a truckload of money, donated his signing on fee (£900,000) to the academy, Scottish cup winner and  FOH subscriber. 

And I can’t remember how many times I’ve said this, he never chose Celtic over us 6 years ago. There was no contract on offer from us. Celtic were his ONLY option.

😐 can’t....quite....let it....go 😂

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Well thankfully you have nothing to do with it, jack. 

Don't be so angry. 

He is a professional and I would expect nothing less from him.

He is a Hearts man, by the way.

:lol: 

I’m getting carried away again eh. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• jack D and coke

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Apparently Celtic have offered him £2k p/w, down from £12.5k p/w. I'd be surprised if we can even match that right now never mind beat it, but maybe its not all about the money and might be more about his role in the squad i.e. playing time and/or a potential coaching role, or about his personal life (he has a young family so would assume that ideally he won't want to move house or anything like that). But if he's holding out for a better offer from Celtic that would suggest that money is at least something to do with it! 

It’s less. And it’s more to do with the fact absolutely no one of any stature has contacted him from the club since lockdown. Not Lennon, Lawwell, Woods or Kennedy. The bridges were well and truly burnt before he did that interview 

He was my hero before he left for Sunderland. As i also follow Newcastle it broke my heart as a young lad to see him at them. Then for him to join the IRA lovers was gutting too, but end of the day why wouldn't he join them, his medal collection will suggest it was the correct thing to do. I'd happily welcome him back, still had a lot to offer and we seriously need help in that department.

Batistuta87
40 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Craig Gordon is no Hearts man I wish people would get that through their heads. The second he chose Celtic over us was evidence of that. On his knees praying to the gods when they won the treble is an image burnt into my mind. No hearts man would ever fall to his knees for their glory. 
The likes of him and Pressley won’t be remembered fondly by those mutants they’ll be almost instantly forgotten as they aren’t “sellic men” but wouldve been loved and idolised here. 
Not only did they take the terrorist lovers pound they played up to them in front of us and even at our own place after making their names with us. 
Craig Gordon wouldn’t get near Hearts if I had anything to do with it.  

Probably thinking about the big stinking bonus on its way into his bank account. Supported Hearts all my life but I'd be the same, not gonna lie.  

Francis Albert

There must be younger, less risky  and cheaper options in the Scottish leagues and beyond.. Gordon is old and  injury prone and an unnecessary risk. The fact that our current bunch are no good is not in itself a recommendation.

And as for coaching, Craig never seems to  have been able to address his own weaknesses  with cross balls and distribution.

Celtic have treated him badly? Well football is a brutal game but if he has been sensible he will have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life. I wish we had been less generous with many of the contracts we dished out in the last few years.

I think Robbie's appointment makes sense. I can't see much of a case for Craig.

Edited by Francis Albert

12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

:rofl:

He now wants to top us his pension plan cos Celtic are treating him poorly?

Gordon needs to get himself in the sea the Celtic tramp. 

How do you know what we’ve offered him?  Have you seen the contract on offer? If he wanted a final pay day, he could easily get more than what he’s looking at getting from us.

Look at it this way, we have a chance to bring home a hearts cup winning hero, and make him part of the fabric moving forward. He can teach young Stones, and potentially could become our GK in the future.

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the signing mirrors the Naismith scenario where we wait until beginning of August. That way Gordon could collect a '13th month' payment from Celtic. 

Is that not just down south?? 

20 hours ago, jambonian said:

Only thing legendary about Gordon was the transfer fee we got for him.

:facepalm: 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, E6 Inc said:

Not sure how anyone can complain about Gordon coming back having had to put up with the utter dross we've had in goal last season. Even at 40 he'd be better then the 3 we had last year put together.

If one thing is clear to me it’s that we have more than our share of utterly ****ing clueless absolute weapons in our support.

its become immeasurably worse since vlad arrived and caused a large part of our support to completely lose touch with reality

Jambo 4 Ever
50 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Craig Gordon is no Hearts man I wish people would get that through their heads. The second he chose Celtic over us was evidence of that. On his knees praying to the gods when they won the treble is an image burnt into my mind. No hearts man would ever fall to his knees for their glory. 
The likes of him and Pressley won’t be remembered fondly by those mutants they’ll be almost instantly forgotten as they aren’t “sellic men” but wouldve been loved and idolised here. 
Not only did they take the terrorist lovers pound they played up to them in front of us and even at our own place after making their names with us. 

Let’s be thankful that you don’t have anything bad to do with it then. He will be a great signing 

Batistuta87
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

There must be younger, less risky  and cheaper options in the Scottish leagues and beyond.. Gordon is old and  injury prone and an unnecessary risk. The fact that our current bunch are no good is not in itself a recommendation.

And as for coaching Craig, never seems to  have been able to address his own weaknesses  with cross balls and distribution.

Celtic have treated him badly? Well football is a brutal game but if has been sensible he will have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life. I wish we had been less generous with many of the contracts we dished out in the last few years.

Been saying this since we were linked with him in January. There's no doubting his goalkeeping ability and he is a lot better than Zlamal for instance, but I have serious doubts over his fitness and when you look at the stats on the time he's spent out injured, it's actually ridiculous. So yeah, good keeper, but I think there's better value for money to be had out there and that signing him would be a bit of a risk because of how injury prone he's been throughout his entire career. 

2 hours ago, RS86 said:

I think Niemi was better tbh

I get that and get where you are coming from. I dont think there is a right or wrong answer to that. If we are talking about world class that we have developed within the club, CG would tick that box 😉 Niemi was a god like figure for me too tbf. CG used every inch of his tall frame, Niemi prob had better reflexes. I was pissed off Niemi didnt get a bigger stage to showcase himself rather than shity Saints and Fulham. He should have got his move to Man U or Arsenal who both had an interest in him at that time. 

42 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

My concern is less about whether he's a 'Hearts man' or not and more about his motivation to be a first team player at this point. He could have told Celtic flat out that he didn't want a new contract long ago if he really had ambitions to play in a first team, but instead he's waited so long and seems frustrated that he didn't get a good money contract to sit on their bench. 

21 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

He now wants to top us his pension plan cos Celtic are treating him poorly?

Gordon needs to get himself in the sea the Celtic tramp. 

I wonder if Dave McPherson ever celebrated when he played for Rangers. Or Sandy Jardin, or Mo Johnstone for that matter. Neil McCann anyone?

Look, none of us liked seeing Craig play for thar lot but he did. His career nearly ended a few years back but he got the chance to play in THE CL and earn big dosh. He took it. As a fan, I'd like to think I wouldn't have. That's easy on Fifa though.

He's an improvement to our first XI, for that I welcome him back.

14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

And as for coaching, Craig never seems to  have been able to address his own weaknesses  with cross balls and distribution.

Celtic have treated him badly? Well football is a brutal game but if he has been sensible he will have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life. I wish we had been less generous with many of the contracts we dished out in the last few years.

At his age, with his experience & quality, he is the perfect keeper for us to sign right now. 

Give him a couple of years to mentor young Harry Stone. 

No better to teach him and train with him every day. Then Stone will be ready to step up to 1st team, Gordon can have his last year as backup keeper, helping Stone with the pressure etc then move into coaching if he wants too

I'd much rather this, nurture the young talent we have better than sign more 30yr old keepers who have bounced around here there and everywhere

Absolute Scenes
7 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Hearts Rant (@HeartsRant) | Twitter

Aye but he’s a Celtic man though 🤪🤪🤪🤪 😂😂😂😂😂😂

legend of a man

John Findlay
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

What a bitter bitter person you are. You are bordering on being a bigot 

Robbo-Jambo
31 minutes ago, DS98 said:

You need to get over it mate. It’s personal for some reason with you. If there’s a story to tell you should get it off your chest!

Craig is coming back and those of rational thinking are delighted. A world class goalie in his previous spell, made the club a truckload of money, donated his signing on fee (£900,000) to the academy, Scottish cup winner and  FOH subscriber. 

And I can’t remember how many times I’ve said this, he never chose Celtic over us 6 years ago. There was no contract on offer from us. Celtic were his ONLY option.

This. 

Some peoples reaction is just mental. 

If it comes off it would be a tremendous signing. 

Robbo-Jambo
2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Aye but he’s a Celtic man though 🤪🤪🤪🤪 😂😂😂😂😂😂

legend of a man

The pure joy on his face says it all tbh. 

On 21/06/2020 at 22:48, Morgan said:

And the other one is Finnish?

He's not finished - he's only 28!

Absolute Scenes

how can you honestly say that. Because he signed for Celtic he’s no hearts man?

the man had no club for two years. Can you imagine how psychologically difficult and damaging that must have been? Celtic came and gave him a chance and he rightfully took which I would have done with no questions asked. No one else at that time gave him the time of day. From living with no income to being offered what Celtic were giving him - even if we after him, he had a family to look after and wanted what was going to be best for them.  What you are saying is he should have said no because he once played for hearts? Get a grip mate. The man was desperate for work. The same could be said about Kevin Kyle signing for rangers, was he hounded? No. He is a Hearts cup winning legend. That’s not opinion, that’s fact

Libertarian
43 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Absolutely agree with the above

Howdy Doody Jambo

I hope Gordon gets the captaincy with his high professional standards will be an inspirational figure for our academy player's

At 37 he is still young enough to have another 3-4 seasons at the top level in Scotland 

Not just a superb international keeper but will improve our defence which will improve our whole team 

jack D and coke
30 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I wonder if Dave McPherson ever celebrated when he played for Rangers. Or Sandy Jardin, or Mo Johnstone for that matter. Neil McCann anyone?

Look, none of us liked seeing Craig play for thar lot but he did. His career nearly ended a few years back but he got the chance to play in THE CL and earn big dosh. He took it. As a fan, I'd like to think I wouldn't have. That's easy on Fifa though.

He's an improvement to our first XI, for that I welcome him back.

They didn’t bam us up after coming back. See Paul Hartley’s behaviour on his return. Gentleman. Still loved here. 

21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

What a bitter bitter person you are. You are bordering on being a bigot 

I have been in the past and sometimes my hatred for Celtic spills over I won’t deny that. 
Something about the club just boils my blood and for a so called Hearts man to bam us up playing in front of that terrorist loving lot well I’m sorry if that rips your Jimmy’s John but I won’t lose any sleep over it. 

14 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

how can you honestly say that. Because he signed for Celtic he’s no hearts man?

the man had no club for two years. Can you imagine how psychologically difficult and damaging that must have been? Celtic came and gave him a chance and he rightfully took which I would have done with no questions asked. No one else at that time gave him the time of day. From living with no income to being offered what Celtic were giving him - even if we after him, he had a family to look after and wanted what was going to be best for them.  What you are saying is he should have said no because he once played for hearts? Get a grip mate. The man was desperate for work. The same could be said about Kevin Kyle signing for rangers, was he hounded? No. He is a Hearts cup winning legend. That’s not opinion, that’s fact

Kevin Kyle didn’t act an arsehole on his return. 
I had no real issue with him playing for Celtic I know it’s a higher level. Behave yourself against the team you claim to love then. I don’t expect him to chuck balls into the net but I just felt his behaviour was over the top a few times. 
I was parkhead a few years ago and he ran the length of the pitch nearly to berate the ref and get a Hearts player into trouble. Wtf is that all about? 
I still maintain one of the best moments of the 4-0 was his coupon after he brought down Callachan. I thought he was going to burst into tears. Was beautiful🥰

Anyway. 
Welcome back Craig :lol: 

Neil Dongcaster
28 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

The pure joy on his face says it all tbh. 

I thought that was his Peppa Pig impression.

Forza Cuore

Jesus Christ. I'm concerned for your health if you have this amount of anger about Hearts signing a goalie. Relax mate.

10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

They didn’t bam us up after coming back. See Paul Hartley’s behaviour on his return. Gentleman. Still loved here. 

I have been in the past and sometimes my hatred for Celtic spills over I won’t deny that. 
Something about the club just boils my blood and for a so called Hearts man to bam us up playing in front of that terrorist loving lot well I’m sorry if that rips your Jimmy’s John but I won’t lose any sleep over it. 

I had no real issue with him playing for Celtic I know it’s a higher level. Behave yourself against the team you claim to love then. I don’t expect him to chuck balls into the net but I just felt his behaviour was over the top a few times. 
I was parkhead a few years ago and he ran the length of the pitch nearly to berate the ref and get a Hearts player into trouble. Wtf is that all about? 
I still maintain one of the best moments of the 4-0 was his coupon after he brought down Callachan. I thought he was going to burst into tears. Was beautiful🥰

Anyway. 

I get your hatred for Celtic Jake d but football is passionate sport and sometimes we let ourselves down in the heat of a game. Gordon is a hearts man of that there is no doubt. Maybe not as passionate as you mind. 😂

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Forza Cuore said:

Jesus Christ. I'm concerned for your health if you have this amount of anger about Hearts signing a goalie. Relax mate.

😘

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I get your hatred for Celtic Jake d but football is passionate sport and sometimes we let ourselves down in the heat of a game. Gordon is a hearts man of that there is no doubt. Maybe not as passionate as you mind. 😂

I’m an incredibly irrational and petty man when it comes to Hearts. 
The way we should all be😉😂

Absolute Scenes
27 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Anyway. 

still don’t know what OUR Craig did wrong, or how he acted wrong that upset you so much. He wasn’t a hearts player, absolutely entitled to celebrate in any way he chooses. Paul Hartley definitely celebrated as a celtic player. Kevin Kyle definitely celebrated as a rangers player. He’s a professional footballer whose priority is the team he plays for. So if he felt a refs decision was wrong, he’s got every right to question refs, as he was no longer a hearts player. Is he expected to curb passion and anger in a game of football because a few of his ex teams fans are looking in? Come on man, that’s childish. I agree regarding Celtic though I utterly hate them as a team, sometimes more than Hibs. 

Nookie Bear
22 minutes ago, Forza Cuore said:

Wait til Scott Brown rocks up in a Hearts shirt next season...

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Wait til Scott Brown rocks up in a Hearts shirt next season...

That would be the end of me. 

Gordon's a safe pair of hands but I have my doubts over his fitness, especially at his age and given his injury history.. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Gulf Jambo said:

At his age, with his experience & quality, he is the perfect keeper for us to sign right now. 

Give him a couple of years to mentor young Harry Stone. 

No better to teach him and train with him every day. Then Stone will be ready to step up to 1st team, Gordon can have his last year as backup keeper, helping Stone with the pressure etc then move into coaching if he wants too

I'd much rather this, nurture the young talent we have better than sign more 30yr old keepers who have bounced around here there and everywhere

I wasn't suggesting the last bit.

The first priority is not to mentor Harry Stone. It is to have a reliable keeper who can be more relied on to be fit.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, GavK1012 said:

I get that and get where you are coming from. I dont think there is a right or wrong answer to that. If we are talking about world class that we have developed within the club, CG would tick that box 😉 Niemi was a god like figure for me too tbf. CG used every inch of his tall frame, Niemi prob had better reflexes. I was pissed off Niemi didnt get a bigger stage to showcase himself rather than shity Saints and Fulham. He should have got his move to Man U or Arsenal who both had an interest in him at that time. 

Not with crosses. He didn't dominate his 6 yard box and beyond as he should have done with his height. The problem I have with him as a goalkeeping coach is that he never overcame that weakness. Distribution wasn't a strong point either.

But my biggest problem is his age and injury record. We should have learned our lesson on injury-prone players.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, GavK1012 said:

Is that not just down south?? 

You will know more about it than me. I just based it on the fact someone's lucrative contract was coming to an end with the next one expected to be considerably less. 👍 

alwaysthereinspirit
12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That would be the end of me. 

You, me and thousands of others 😆

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I presume you feel the same about Lafferty?...

Gordon would/will be a great signing for us.

Can’t believe the level of seethe on here because he signed for Celtic and celebrated when they won stuff. He’s a professional. This is expected - otherwise you’ve got the likes of Riordan, too bitter to put your personal feelings aside when you step onto the park.

Signing for Celtic when he did was obviously the right move for him, and his record there proves it. I believe he remains a Hearts man. If you think he shouldn’t celebrate winning things for the club that employs him because he supports someone else, then you should be aware that the vast majority of the players who have won trophies with Hearts have loyalties to another club, mostly one of the Gruesome Twosome. Never seemed to stop them from celebrating in maroon.

13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon's a safe pair of hands but I have my doubts over his fitness, especially at his age and given his injury history.. 

Reminds me of the Roy of the Rovers comic strip: The Safest Hands in Soccer, featuring Scottish goalie, Gordon Stewart who played for Tynefield United!!

Rick Sanchez

When do the wage cuts run till? End of June? 

I'd imagine any new signings contract would start when the cuts end? 

Weakened Offender

Drivel. 

This should be used as sticky under “Why the club will be fan owned and not fan run!”

Dagger Is Back

Hate to see any of our players joining the Uglies and enjoying success with them

Is Craig a Hearts fan? Is he better than what we have? Will he be a positive influence on Harry S? The answer is yes to all

We've had lots of players travelling both ways along the M8. God forbid that Dave McPherson didn't celebrate scoring and winning against Rangers and we could list more

When they sign for Hearts and they play for us, that's all that matters, and as long as they put in all they have, that's enough for me

I wonder where it all went wrong with some of our support.

I remember when Neil McCann returned to Tynie with Rangers after moving there, he ran around the pitch applauding the hearts support, and being applauded back. 

jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, sum31uk said:

I presume you feel the same about Lafferty?...

Not really the same is it. Laff here one season and done well for us. 
He pissed me off over celebrating with Rangers but he’s a rangers man. Sort of different imo. 

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

This should be used as sticky under “Why the club will be fan owned and not fan run!”

I totally agree with you mate :lol: