• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• wattie exploited

12 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

really wish stendal was starting again with A PROPER KEEEPER LOL that we have and get rid of half these losers !

it will never happen but he is a better bet than RN 100 % :rifle:

biggest embarrassing result in Scottish cup history and we are going to have to hear about it for ****ing years !!!!!

should have kept Stendal and gave him a proper chance :rifle:

Massive error of judgement by Hearts binning big Dan the man.

1 minute ago, The rat catcher said:

I'd take Stendel as coach over Neilson all day long.

He should have been given a chance this season. 

wattie exploited
19 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Not for me.  Stendal is as much to blame in my eyes as anyone.  He had more then enough games to move us away from the bottom of the table and actually worsened our position.  

Two or three of his signings were up there with the worst I have ever seen for us.

I was at the Kilmarnock home defeat and it was one of the most abject I have seen an absolute disgrace.  We wouldn’t be in this position is Stendal had got it sorted.  

Yes Neilson is not the answer but neither was Stendal.  

he actually got some of the players  playing much better Lewis Moore Sean Clair  if he had a proper window am sure we would be playing better football 

4 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Whatever the question was Daniel Stendel wasn’t the answer.

Probably wasn’t but if it was “closest to the pin” he’d be closer than Robbie **** Neilson. 

48 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Nail. On. Head. And neither would Alex Neil or Derek Ferguson either. 

We need a non British Manager that haa had a reputation 

wattie exploited
18 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

what like a German manager he was non British :rifle: 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Relegation cost him in more way than 1, his wages were obviously high enough.

I think a lot of people seem to be living in a universe that has blissfully forgotten how much relegation and the pandemic have hit us

1 hour ago, Restonbabe said:

Pat Fenlon was a foreign manager with a fantastic reputation. Foreign managers with good reputations work in big leagues. Why would they come to Scotland and a team with poor recent history?

Should've kept Stendel imo, but how he was treated by the club, when moving for Neilson, was well out of order, shocking!!!!

AC Mallin_51

Thing is levein and now Robbie are getting chance after chance, as we all know because they’re friendly with Ann. Why didn’t Daniel get a chance? 

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

He should have been given a chance this season. 

He should have taken the chance he did have then. 

2 minutes ago, rmreido said:

Should've kept Stendel imo, but how he was treated by the club, when moving for Neilson, was well out of order, shocking!!!!

What happened?

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

He should have taken the chance he did have then. 

I suppose we'll never know, he had 8 games left and 24 points to play for. 

Saint Jambo
2 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Absolutely. There need to be consequences for abject failure. The same logice that says although we are top of the league Neilson needs sacked for last night, says that although he wanted to play attacking football Stendel needed sacked (or contract not renewed) for taking us to the bottom of the league which led to us being in the position to be thrown out the league when the season was prematurely ended. 

Reheating past failures is not the answer.

We weren't even bottom when he took over, and ended up 6 points adrift.  

A very small number of excellent performances, but he failed to win in 7 games against bottom 6 teams. 

Absolutely not on having him back

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I suppose we'll never know, he had 8 games left and 24 points to play for. 

Yep but not a horse worth backing on the evidence imo though. Regardless he’s gone the constant bumping of this thread especially after DS explained the keeper situation is baffling. 

A_A wehatethehibs
10 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

What happened?

We exercised the relegation clause in his contract.

It was a bit cut throat. But sometimes that’s football. Stendel was on pretty big money, and did not deliver so... he got the axe. 

And the axe is what is needed now again. We should have a “get put out both cups by pub teams” clause in Neilsons contract. 

12 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Yep but not a horse worth backing on the evidence imo though. Regardless he’s gone the constant bumping of this thread especially after DS explained the keeper situation is baffling. 

We had been on a downward trajectory for years. In hindsight we probably needed someone to come in, park the bus and nick points to survive. DS was the opposite of that and tried to get a terrible side to play high pressure attacking football. He was brave and bold to try what he did. Unfortunately signings and players at the club weren't near good enough to play the way he wanted and he couldn't deliver safety. 

I certainly don't think he was a bad coach. Infact, many players thought he was excellent. Right guy at the wrong time. He needed a good platform to work from. 

Edited by Cruyff

Just now, Cruyff said:

We had been on a downward trajectory for years. We probably needed someone to come in, park the bus and nick points to survive. DS was the opposite of that and tried to get a terrible side to play high pressure attacking football. He was brave and bold to try what he did. Unfortunately signings and players at the club weren't near good enough to play the way he wanted and he couldn't deliver safety. 

I certainly don't think he was a bad coach. Infact, many players thought he was excellent. Right guy at the wrong time. He needed a good platform to work from. 

Brave or naive ? 

I liked DS but he tried to completely transform a team in a relegation battle and he backed the shittest keeper in our history. Two mistakes for me that cost us our place in the league. For those reasons he blew his chance. 

Just now, Dazo said:

Brave or naive ? 

I liked DS but he tried to completely transform a team in a relegation battle and he backed the shittest keeper in our history. Two mistakes for me that cost us our place in the league. For those reasons he blew his chance. 

Yep. He should have signed a keeper in January. Anyone would have been better than El Hologram. 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yep. He should have signed a keeper in January. Anyone would have been better than El Hologram. 

I still think Man Utd put a clause into the loan deal that he had to play a major percentage of games, probably something like 75% over the season allowing for the club changing the line  cup games like the trend down south is. However we should have cut the loan deal off as soon as we saw how awful he was. 

23 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We exercised the relegation clause in his contract.

It was a bit cut throat. But sometimes that’s football. Stendel was on pretty big money, and did not deliver so... he got the axe. 

And the axe is what is needed now again. We should have a “get put out both cups by pub teams” clause in Neilsons contract. 

So it wasn’t “out of order” or indeed “shocking”?

Can't imagine Stendel would touch Hearts with a barge pole after how he was treated last time. I am ashamed of the way the club handled replacing him when he had acted in such a dignified way. Refused his wages etc.

Yes he was probably naive trying to get the players we had playing the style he wanted when we were in a relegation battle.

But the big difference between Stendel and Neilson is that I loved watching Hearts under Stendel and now I am genuinely struggling to stay awake. Still gutted he's gone.

I felt Stendel saw through a lot of what's been wrong with us. Top to bottom malaise, too many people not doing anything. Not enough focus on the first team and winning games. Lack of a proper structure and a plan. A bowling club mentality.

He didn't get it right straight away but I think he recognised all of the above and was starting to dismantle it and put a high performing professional structure behind at least the first team.

I'd have liked to have seen him do all of that this season whilst building a new mentality and identity for the club this year in advance of promotion next year.

That said, he's gone now and there's no point crying over spilled milk so we might as well put it behind us and move on.

colinmaroon
32 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We had been on a downward trajectory for years. In hindsight we probably needed someone to come in, park the bus and nick points to survive. DS was the opposite of that and tried to get a terrible side to play high pressure attacking football. He was brave and bold to try what he did. Unfortunately signings and players at the club weren't near good enough to play the way he wanted and he couldn't deliver safety. 

If someone like Stendel had come in instead of Cathro, the past few seasons could well have been oh so different.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

he actually got some of the players  playing much better Lewis Moore Sean Clair  if he had a proper window am sure we would be playing better football 

Wasting your time there, he was at one game and knows better than everyone else. Can’t even spell his ****ing name,  he was manager for three months and it’s all his fault 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I felt Stendel saw through a lot of what's been wrong with us. Top to bottom malaise, too many people not doing anything. Not enough focus on the first team and winning games. Lack of a proper structure and a plan. A bowling club mentality.

He didn't get it right straight away but I think he recognised all of the above and was starting to dismantle it and put a high performing professional structure behind at least the first team.

I'd have liked to have seen him do all of that this season whilst building a new mentality and identity for the club this year in advance of promotion next year.

That said, he's gone now and there's no point crying over spilled milk so we might as well put it behind us and move on.

Spot on. It doesn’t mean we can’t go for someone similar to bring that professionalism to the club. Look at how Norwich are doing it for example. https://trainingground.guru/articles/stuart-webber-norwich-city-and-the-infinite-game

Glamorgan Jambo
15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don’t really know whether Daniel

really saw through anything. He may well have but then again once someone has got to the root cause of the issue they’re usually able to start to fix things. There are classic impact managers out there who tend to start off well and then drift eg Warnock and tin hat on Neil Lennon. 20 20 hindsight says we should have recognised how serious the situation was and gone for one of these types. My biggest disappointment with Ann Budge was that once she finally decided to fire Levein she wasn’t ready immediately with a replacement. It wasn’t as if it was something that happened quickly.

The only circumstances I would have accepted Stendel continuing after the shut down would have been in the league we’re in where he would have got the time to do the full pre season etc and as we’ve seen a few mistakes can be made and the desired end result achieved. Let’s hope that when Neilson goes we are ready with a replacement.

wattie exploited
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Wasting your time there, he was at one game and knows better than everyone else. Can’t even spell his ****ing name,  he was manager for three months and it’s all his fault 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈

who knows better than every one else ? :rifle:

35 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Can't imagine Stendel would touch Hearts with a barge pole after how he was treated last time. I am ashamed of the way the club handled replacing him when he had acted in such a dignified way. Refused his wages etc.

Yes he was probably naive trying to get the players we had playing the style he wanted when we were in a relegation battle.

But the big difference between Stendel and Neilson is that I loved watching Hearts under Stendel and now I am genuinely struggling to stay awake. Still gutted he's gone.

You seriously must have only watched the two Rangers games and Hibs game. Cos apart from that it was ***ing dreadful!

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

who knows better than every one else ? :rifle:

BJ the fan of the other BJ. 

BackOfTheNet
24 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I would agree with this. And I think players like Berra and Whelan had a horrible attitude towards change (a ‘that’s not how we do things around here’ mentality). He saw an archaic backwards way most Scottish clubs do things and tried to change it. Initially by himself and then one by one (to a total of 2) his own staff. Was on a losing battle from day 1. I do believe however if he had a proper crack he could get us to a point where we get points and play attractive football. Those saying he had his chance are not a fan of context.

26 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Good post. Always seemed like he was pretty appalled at the state of the club he walked into and never seemed like he had the backing of Budge to make the changes required. 

He might have turned it round, might not have. Either way he can at least hold his head high. Probably relieved to get away from the rotten culture that runs through this club. 

wattie exploited
13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

BJ the fan of the other BJ. 

sorry you have lost me here  B J is that a other op here ?:rifle:

16 minutes ago, DS98 said:

You seriously must have only watched the two Rangers games and Hibs game. Cos apart from that it was ***ing dreadful!

I think I was at every game apart from Paisley.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

sorry you have lost me here  B J is that a other op here ?:rifle:

The fan from Brighton yes 

Shanks said no

Loved Daniel and think he was treated terribly by Budge and Hearts. The Falkirk wet cup game in the sports bar and ground was one of the best Hearts supports in years.

Ship has sailed though and we probably need some stability provided by an experienced attack minded coach who knows the Scottish game 

best in the land

Needed someone who was going to change the whole style of the team. 

Just wasn't the right time the state levein left us in but after being demoted i thought we should’ve given Stendal the opportunity to sort it out in the championship and be ready for the premier. 

Was gutted when Neilson got the job but hoped it would be surprised and he'd change his/leveins ways. 

But no, the football has been horrible to watch. 

Budge is to blame for this and the rubbish we've seen since she came to hearts. 

She put in money and has got it back and needs to go before she does any further damage to the club. 

Bring him back he was a breath of fresh air and would  have got it right. I am sick to death of ex hearts players hanging around the club stealing money from FOH contributions. 

Budge out 

Neilson out now 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Loved Daniel and think he was treated terribly by Budge and Hearts. The Falkirk wet cup game in the sports bar and ground was one of the best Hearts supports in years.

Ship has sailed though and we probably need some stability provided by an experienced attack minded coach who knows the Scottish game 

we were lucky as **** in that game. Falkirk battered us

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

we were lucky as **** in that game. Falkirk battered us

I can’t remember the game, happier times

🍹

Saint Jambo

Out of curiosity, given this board is normally full of people who claim to know player's salaries, what is the difference in salary between Neilson and Stendel? To be clear, I'm not arguing we should be keeping Neilson on because he is cheap, but the fact Stendel was rumoured to be on big wages might have contributed to the sensible decision to get rid of him before a season in the Championship in front of empty stands.

I don't really buy that Stendel was just too good a manager with the great tactics he was trying to impose on Hearts in the second half of last season. Surely part of being a good manager is identifying when your preferred tactics aren't going to work due to either the players at your disposal or the  opposition and changing your tactics to ensure you win games. And boy oh boy did his preferred tactics fail to work.

wattie exploited
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

The fan from Brighton yes 

Ok thanks :rifle:

• davemclaren locked this topic