Daniel Stendel

wattie exploited

Fozzyonthefence
33 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Stendels pressing tactics struggled against the teams who kept it tight.......really not sure how he’d have coped in the championship tbh.

Oh ffs, seriously? 🤣🤣

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• wattie exploited

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Let's hope Stendel does well in his next job. You're really going all in on him, while in the same breath writing off our own manager who faced his own unique set of problems when taking over - and yet who has done a mostly very good job. To the point that all we have to argue about until the end of the season is how many goals we should be winning by and whether Stendel was nay good or not.

Get a grip What unique problems has Neilson faced. He can do no wrong with the hierarchy has had all his assistants in pronto, a sporting director to assist also. He’s had a pre season to train the players and has had money to dabble in the transfer market. Also no fans in the ground to voice discontent at some of the bad results against lower league opposition. He’ll never get an easier job than he’s had this season. 

1 hour ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Pereira must've had some sort of potential to get a gig at Man Utd in the first place; just like Mikey Stewart! 🤭

Well, at least there is some insight into Stendel's thinking which, in this case, proved to be flawed. Having said that, Stendel had a lot to be getting on with and I, for one, remember saying, "That's more like it" when we played under him with gusto. I've filed that passage into 'What Might Have Been', much like Burley's curtailed tenure albeit that Burley had a far better squad to work with and a whole different set of behind the scenes calamaties to contend with etc. etc. The only absolute fact (in both cases) is that we'll never know. Anything else is pure conjecture.

It seems like there was just too much to fix in a short space of time given the state of the squad and the overall working milieu Stendel found himself inhabiting which was, to put it mildly, not ideal. I'm wondering about if he'd came in with his own back-room staff from the get-go (and with our previous incumbents oot the door completely) then things might've worked out better. The season getting cut short certainly didn't help matters and I'm still convinced that had the season been completed then we would've stayed up; much like what transpired in England whereby teams that would've suffered had they been under the jurisdiction of the SFA/SPFL blazers managed to play their way out of trouble. So, we very well could've been 'saved', had an exciting football style under a manager who was a breath of fresh air and who had a full pre-season to fix the issues properly, and perhaps be sitting 3rd in the SPL given the dire displays of the teams in that division this season (with the exception of 'The Rangers'). Again, we'll never know.

Oh, and perhaps Jose Mourinho's praise for Pereira was merely a ploy to con some unsuspecting club (Hearts) so as to get him away from Manchester!

That photo though:-

Joel Pereira v The Grim Reaper. Maybe we signed the wrong hooded abomination. 😱

20210317_004242.jpg

20210317_004324.jpg

Well, I personally wish him the very best with his next venture - I’m pretty certain that if he is given sufficient time, he will be a resounding success. 

He gave up his wages, and no doubt demonstrated more regard toward the club’s state of health, in his short spell with us, than some who have been ever present 

All the best DS 

Fozzyonthefence
30 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Well, I personally wish him the very best with his next venture - I’m pretty certain that if he is given sufficient time, he will be a resounding success. 

He gave up his wages, and no doubt demonstrated more regard toward the club’s state of health, in his short spell with us, than some who have been ever present 

All the best DS 

Seconded. A true gent and I wish him all the best.  It’s a pity the sacrifices he made for the club weren’t recognised with the way he was treated at the end. 

48 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

All the best DS 

👏👏

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

All the best DS 

I think we all agree with this. Can’t help but like DS and I would think the experience he has taken away will help him going forward

I have no dislike at all for DS but I didn’t see anything to convince me he is likely to be a successful manager.

There were  good results against teams who showed vulnerability to our attacking approach (Hibs and Rangers) but the teams around and above us in the bottom 6 didn’t play that way. Like our own supporters, the likes of Kellie, Hamilton, Motherwell, St Mirren knew exactly how to counter Stendels style and our immediate opponents had ridiculously easy wins as a result.

Perhaps if he’d beaten Hibs in the December game, we’d have got off to a better start and been in an immediately better position, but he chose not to prioritise his involvement in what was always going to be a significant game. A mistake shared with others who agreed to that, but an odd approach nonetheless.

Neverforgetfiveone
9 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He didn’t make us worse at all, and the stats back that up.  Our points per game (marginally) increased in his 14 league games even after losing his first 4, including wins against Rangers and an easy win at Easter Road plus a cup win against Rangers too (2 home wins more against them than Levein managed in his whole Hearts career).  Despite much inconsistency there were definitely signs that we were slowly moving in the right direction, albeit those first 4 games and taking too long to drop the keeper (on top of the first 16 games and the teams around us improving) ultimately were to cost us, so yes he was a failure but he did improve us.

Definitely the wrong time to appoint him though, I’d have liked to have seen him take over at the start of this season - would still have pissed the league and would have been a hell of a lot better to watch. 

💯 %

Fozzyonthefence
25 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I think we all agree with this. Can’t help but like DS and I would think the experience he has taken away will help him going forward

Agreed.  I don’t really have a problem with him being sacked (more so with the way it was handled) as he was appointed to keep us up and ultimately failed, although was only given 14 games to do so.  But let’s not go down the “he made us worse” chat as it’s just not true. Improved our ppg average and won 3 cup games, including 1 against Rangers, scoring 7 and conceding 0.  These are facts. 

6 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Pereira must've had some sort of potential to get a gig at Man Utd in the first place; just like Mikey Stewart! 🤭

Well, at least there is some insight into Stendel's thinking which, in this case, proved to be flawed. Having said that, Stendel had a lot to be getting on with and I, for one, remember saying, "That's more like it" when we played under him with gusto. I've filed that passage into 'What Might Have Been', much like Burley's curtailed tenure albeit that Burley had a far better squad to work with and a whole different set of behind the scenes calamaties to contend with etc. etc. The only absolute fact (in both cases) is that we'll never know. Anything else is pure conjecture.

It seems like there was just too much to fix in a short space of time given the state of the squad and the overall working milieu Stendel found himself inhabiting which was, to put it mildly, not ideal. I'm wondering about if he'd came in with his own back-room staff from the get-go (and with our previous incumbents oot the door completely) then things might've worked out better. The season getting cut short certainly didn't help matters and I'm still convinced that had the season been completed then we would've stayed up; much like what transpired in England whereby teams that would've suffered had they been under the jurisdiction of the SFA/SPFL blazers managed to play their way out of trouble. So, we very well could've been 'saved', had an exciting football style under a manager who was a breath of fresh air and who had a full pre-season to fix the issues properly, and perhaps be sitting 3rd in the SPL given the dire displays of the teams in that division this season (with the exception of 'The Rangers'). Again, we'll never know.

Oh, and perhaps Jose Mourinho's praise for Pereira was merely a ploy to con some unsuspecting club (Hearts) so as to get him away from Manchester!

20210317_004242.jpg

20210317_004324.jpg

It was blatantly obvious to anyone with a set of eyes that we needed a new keeper in the January. If stendel had went out and got a half decent one we wouldn’t be playing in the championship and he’d still be in charge. 

I never took an interest in DS before he arrived at Hearts I knew he managed Barnsley the done well in League 1 but struggled in the championship. 

I'm looking forward to seeing him at his next club watching from the outside how he sets up the squad and the transfers. I liked DS came in with fresh ideas and wanted to get rid of the crap right away BUT the timing was poor the changes he was making would of suited a  pre season.  also seemed a really nice guy wish him all the best 

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

It was blatantly obvious to anyone with a set of eyes that we needed a new keeper in the January. If stendel had went out and got a half decent one we wouldn’t be playing in the championship and he’d still be in charge. 

Staggering that 3 managers picked this guy!  He must have had uncompromising photos of all 3 of them! Has to be the worst keeper I’ve ever seen at Hearts and would give some of those Hibs keepers a run for their money!

Smoked-Glass
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Staggering that 3 managers picked this guy!  He must have had uncompromising photos of all 3 of them! Has to be the worst keeper I’ve ever seen at Hearts and would give some of those Hibs keepers a run for their money!

Correct.   Zibby just had howlers but normally did the basics fine.   

Bobby zimal I thought he was ok ❣️

Edited by Smoked-Glass

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Was there not a clause in his contract that if he never played then we had to pay his wage ? I'm sure I seen a few comments regarding that when he was playing. 

Smoked-Glass
2 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Was there not a clause in his contract that if he never played then we had to pay his wage ? I'm sure I seen a few comments regarding that when he was playing. 

Bargin if so. 

Don't play him and pay the fine.  Get someone else in who actually knows how to goalkeep

11 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Stendels pressing tactics struggled against the teams who kept it tight.......really not sure how he’d have coped in the championship tbh.

Me and you could cope in the championship with this current Hearts squad and budget so I’m sure Stendel would have been fine.......

13 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Levein had already done all the legwork on the Gordon transfer. It was always happening this summer, Budge/Levein tried to make it happen in January but Lennon wouldn’t allow it. 

Not quite accurate. Gordon was speaking to other premier clubs and an English championship team. Levein never spoke to Gordon at all. McPhee had a couple of conversations but it was mainly budge dealing with Celtic. And Lennon never had an opinion on the matter. Lawwell dismissed it straight away as there were only a few days left of the window and Scott Bain was injured.

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

20210317_004242.jpg

20210317_004324.jpg

Well put. 

12 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Oh ffs, seriously? 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, goldie83 said:

Me and you could cope in the championship with this current Hearts squad and budget so I’m sure Stendel would have been fine.......

I wasn’t clear....

I meant to struggle to break teams down and play entertaining football. We’d more than likely get the right results but it would be even more of a chore than we’ve made it look in a lot of matches this season.

The intense, high press game he favoured really only worked twice. Against the teams who were a bit more cagey we struggled to break them down.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Made up shit by Levein apologists who are now raging that Stendel played him and that it didn’t exist 😱🤔😂

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Spot on, how the **** did he get a move to Man Utd 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️?!?!

davemclaren
15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Made up shit by Levein apologists who are now raging that Stendel played him and that it didn’t exist 😱🤔😂

To be fair that was made up by Levein bashers ( 😄 ) to excuse Stendel. It’s a complicated world of conspiracies we live in.

I find the theory hard to believe regardless of its source.  

23 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

😂

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

To be fair that was made up by Levein bashers ( 😄 ) to excuse Stendel. It’s a complicated world of conspiracies we live in.

I find the theory hard to believe regardless of its source.  

I think it was rumoured earlier than when Stendel came but I couldn’t be certain. 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think it was rumoured earlier than when Stendel came but I couldn’t be certain. 

Possibly, the original source of rumours often gets lost I find. 

Auld Reekin'
11 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Agreed. Also if, as AB had previously stated would be the case, there had been a Director of Football / Sporting Director already in place by the time a new manager was appointed, that would've been a considerable help to Stendel, particularly when it came to signing players in the January transfer window. Due to this and the factors you've mentioned, I reckon he was let-down quite badly by Budge and her fellow directors. I think AB was always wary and lukewarm about Stendel's appointment and therefore did not take all of the measures necessary to give him the best chance of being able to do his job effectively and get Hearts to a safe points total.

As you say though, who knows? 

3 hours ago, DS98 said:

Not quite accurate. Gordon was speaking to other premier clubs and an English championship team. Levein never spoke to Gordon at all. McPhee had a couple of conversations but it was mainly budge dealing with Celtic. And Lennon never had an opinion on the matter. Lawwell dismissed it straight away as there were only a few days left of the window and Scott Bain was injured.

Different version to what I heard. 

I think a large part of the reason that Stendel is held in such fondness by many supporters, is that the style of football he was trying to implement is what many of us would like to watch.

All our other managerial appointments in the Budge era have played a pragmatic, lateral and possession based style of football which is often very boring to watch.

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I wasn’t clear....

I meant to struggle to break teams down and play entertaining football. We’d more than likely get the right results but it would be even more of a chore than we’ve made it look in a lot of matches this season.

The intense, high press game he favoured really only worked twice. Against the teams who were a bit more cagey we struggled to break them down.

Worked fine against Airdrie in the cup.  I suspect a lot of the issues with performances were down to player attitudes as much as anything.  They seemed to be up for certain games but not others, whether that was down to lack of confidence or lack of application, I’m not sure.  

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

I think a large part of the reason that Stendel is held in such fondness by many supporters, is that the style of football he was trying to implement is what many of us would like to watch.

All our other managerial appointments in the Budge era have played a pragmatic, lateral and possession based style of football which is often very boring to watch.

Definitely. The two games against where we strangled the life out of them will live long in the memory.

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

100% . at another time, with a better set of players it would have been great imo.

in the middle of a relegation fight, with the players we had it wasn’t great. It didn’t work against teams who didn’t want to play and who figured out all they needed to do was sit tight go over the top again and again.  And that our keeper was so shit they adopted a shoot on sight policy which was amazingly effective.

we liked him, he made mistakes so was very much a what could have been.

Guest ToqueJambo
18 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Get a grip What unique problems has Neilson faced. He can do no wrong with the hierarchy has had all his assistants in pronto, a sporting director to assist also. He’s had a pre season to train the players and has had money to dabble in the transfer market. Also no fans in the ground to voice discontent at some of the bad results against lower league opposition. He’ll never get an easier job than he’s had this season. 

A pandemic maybe? Not knowing what league we'd be playing in when he started reshaping the squad, or when it would start? No fans in the ground? Playing last season's cup with a championship squad? No youth games so tricky to bring young players in? Hard to scout and recruit players with travel restrictions and lockdowns? A very unusual pre-season with hardly any warm-up games?

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

A pandemic maybe? Not knowing what league we'd be playing in when he started reshaping the squad, or when it would start? No fans in the ground? Playing last season's cup with a championship squad? No youth games so tricky to bring young players in?

He had plenty time to shape the squad for the championship, we started before our competitors, no fans in the ground has probably taken the heat off him due to some of the performances & results. Last seasons cup , that the one where last seasons manager got us through against Rangers? It’s really no that tricky to play some youth in this league were in. 
With the pandemic coming under control due to vaccinations I would assume were going to see some good football from Neilson team?

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Martin_T said:

"Trying" being the key word there. The finest performance we've seen in recent years of the pressing game Stendel was meant to be an expert at was Craig Levein's 4-0 Celtic win. Neilson and Cathro both delivered very dominant wins over Rangers. I saw nothing to suggest Stendel was anything more than someone who *wants" to play that style of game. There was zero evidence he could do it against smaller teams that will sit back. Some pragmatism would have been a good thing and might have kept us up. Cathro also *wanted* to play attractive football. Neither him or Stendel delivered it for Hearts in anything more than a couple games. They were so keen to implement a particular "style" and their own brand of football they lost sight of the most important thing, which is winning games.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

He had plenty time to shape the squad for the championship, we started before our competitors, no fans in the ground has probably taken the heat off him due to some of the performances & results. Last seasons cup , that the one where last seasons manager got us through against Rangers? It’s really no that tricky to play some youth in this league were in. 
With the pandemic coming under control due to vaccinations I would assume were going to see some good football from Neilson team?

We've seen "good football" under him this season and did often in his previous spell. It really depends what your definition of "good football" is though.

Harry Potter
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on, how the **** did he get a move to Man Utd 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️?!?!

Its certainly a big mystery, 

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

At least the hibs keepers got in the way and fumbled it or threw it in the goal. 

Our big streak of cabbage just let everything go through him. 

It's like he was a holographic projection. 

One thing I will say he was decent at crosses. Not much issue with him there, but Ffs everything hit at him went on the goal. 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We've seen "good football" under him this season and did often in his previous spell. It really depends what your definition of "good football" is though.

I’ve watched all the games on stream this season and bar the Cup final when he had no choice but to throw caution to the wind as wee were down & out and some of first Dundee game we’ve played some eye bleed in ding football. Absolutely nothing to get you off your seat. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, stevie1874 said:

I’ve watched all the games on stream this season and bar the Cup final when he had no choice but to throw caution to the wind as wee were down & out and some of first Dundee game we’ve played some eye bleed in ding football. Absolutely nothing to get you off your seat. 

As I say it's subjective. A 1-0 win with a decent goal or move to win it does me. Depending on the opposition if we win it with a sclaffed shot off someone's arse after they've dominated for 89 mins I go away delighted. Football matches for me are about moments and wins. The "eye bleeding" chat is just so Hibs. I don't think I've ever lasted an EPL or CL game the whole way through apart from one or two humdingers. I'm glued to Hearts games though.

33 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

As I say it's subjective. A 1-0 win with a decent goal or move to win it does me. Depending on the opposition if we win it with a sclaffed shot off someone's arse after they've dominated for 89 mins I go away delighted. Football matches for me are about moments and wins. The "eye bleeding" chat is just so Hibs. I don't think I've ever lasted an EPL or CL game the whole way through apart from one or two humdingers. I'm glued to Hearts games though.

:laugh:

Do you want a lollipop?

2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Worked fine against Airdrie in the cup.  I suspect a lot of the issues with performances were down to player attitudes as much as anything.  They seemed to be up for certain games but not others, whether that was down to lack of confidence or lack of application, I’m not sure.  

Stendel said in The Terrace podcast interview that in 'must win games' certain players didn't perform. Seems about right with the Hamilton and St Mirren games being two of the worst.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

His evaluation of the goalkeepers suggests we dodged a longer term problem

Pasquale for King

A pandemic maybe? Not knowing what league we'd be playing in when he started reshaping the squad, or when it would start? No fans in the ground? Playing last season's cup with a championship squad? No youth games so tricky to bring young players in? Hard to scout and recruit players with travel restrictions and lockdowns? A very unusual pre-season with hardly any warm-up games?

I pulled you up for this last night, we played 7 official friendlies before the season started, that’s as many as any team in the world need to get ready for a season. The two month preseason was suspended for ten days, again that’s longer than any team in Scotland had to prepare for the season. Not only is that poor excuse it’s factually incorrect. 

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Super_Hans said:

Stendel said in The Terrace podcast interview that in 'must win games' certain players didn't perform. Seems about right with the Hamilton and St Mirren games being two of the worst.

Our form in games against big teams last season would indicate we have a problem with this, it hasn’t gone away as Naismith has admitted it’s happened this season too. 
The reasons for this come from the very top and I can’t see any quick fix for it. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Our form in games against big teams last season would indicate we have a problem with this, it hasn’t gone away as Naismith has admitted it’s happened this season too. 
The reasons for this come from the very top and I can’t see any quick fix for it. 

Can you elaborate a wee bit on the last sentence. Not looking to argue just surprised at how it can come from Budge. 

Pasquale for King

"Trying" being the key word there. The finest performance we've seen in recent years of the pressing game Stendel was meant to be an expert at was Craig Levein's 4-0 Celtic win. Neilson and Cathro both delivered very dominant wins over Rangers. I saw nothing to suggest Stendel was anything more than someone who *wants" to play that style of game. There was zero evidence he could do it against smaller teams that will sit back. Some pragmatism would have been a good thing and might have kept us up. Cathro also *wanted* to play attractive football. Neither him or Stendel delivered it for Hearts in anything more than a couple games. They were so keen to implement a particular "style" and their own brand of football they lost sight of the most important thing, which is winning games.

I can guarantee you he’s more of a expert than you are, or that ***** Levein and his negative protege.  
I’ve tried to explain to you in the past about pressing and how the best teams do so no matter what in every single game, but you don’t really understand football. 
As for your ironic comment about style and forgetting about winning games who set new records in not doing so in the not so distant past? 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Can you elaborate a wee bit on the last sentence. Not looking to argue just surprised at how it can come from Budge. 

It’s all been coveted many times but the club as a whole mirrors what we get on the pitch. A mentality from top to bottom where failure is acceptable. 
Let’s at look her, Levein 🤷🏾‍♂️. Where to start, disastrous recruitment that cost millions, academy that produces little and what it does isn’t brought through properly, Coaching system that didn’t work, awful management that’s traumatised fans. Medical department that had Stendel spend hours one afternoon screaming his head off at the staff for the shambles they created. Not sacked, just not offered a new contract. Main reason we’re in the championship. 
New stand, way over budget, built by family, started without a proper plan and still not finished. Not aesthetically pleasing inside or out. Embarrassed by not ordering seats, guy keeps his job. Basically paid for by FoH and benefactors. PR disasters like STs. All last years nonsense with reconstruction and being played by the SPFL. High wage low bonus pay structure. Play friendlies and loan players to clubs that ****ed us. A chance to unite the fans with Only Hearts mantra thrown our the window. 
Basically there’s no consequences for failure, shrug shoulders and move on. Construct a board that won’t vote you out and keep control even after your not the owner anymore.  
She’s done numerous good things but in my opinion we won’t progress with her at the helm. 

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

His evaluation of the goalkeepers suggests we dodged a longer term problem

Like the long term problem we had with that charlatan that signed him?

• davemclaren locked this topic