Daniel Stendel

wattie exploited

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

If ever there was an interview that should finally bury the Stendel myth this is it.

Played Pereira because he was more interested in his ability to stand high up the pitch than save shots.

Didn't need to play him, but choose to do so. Nothing to do with the terms of the loan agreement.

Had the opportunity to get another keeper in during the January window but decided Pereira was good enough.

Tactically inflexible and a bad judge of players. Came in when we were awful and despite getting some players back from injury and signing a handful of his own players, inexplicably managed to actually make us worse. The fact this joker is still lauded by so many Hearts fans as some kind of managerial messiah is crazy. "Right man, wrong time"? No, just wrong man. Even worse, some of our support use this mythical version of The Great Stendel as a stick to beat our manager, even though he is taking us back to the league where we belong.

You backed Levein til the end didn’t you? 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• wattie exploited

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Just Stendel's from January on

So the other two aren’t equally at fault? One of whom brought him to the club to make up for the two mugs he had, who he backed in the summer of 2019 then brought quite possibly the worst shot stopper we’ve ever seen? All the big bad Germans fault?

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Applies to Robbie too, surely? And Robbie is actually getting the results he's being paid to get, unlike Stendel.

Not quite because we know exactly the kind of manager Neilson is, as you always overlook we are in a tinpot league too. 
Stendel had the shambles he inherited at 8th in the form table even with 3 jugglers for GKs. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

So the other two aren’t equally at fault? One of whom brought him to the club to make up for the two mugs he had, who he backed in the summer of 2019 then brought quite possibly the worst shot stopper we’ve ever seen? All the big bad Germans fault?

It's a Stendel thread mate.

Weakened Offender

Stendel can't say he wasn't backed. We forked out a lot of money for Boyce, and Stendel's wages were massive. He would have got a goalie if he'd asked for one. Robbie brought in Stewart and Gordon and farmed out Doyle in about 2 seconds flat after arriving. He knew it was the first area of the team to address and Stendel should have known it too. The fact he still didn't seem to know it after being in charge for all the games Perrera cost us is a pretty damning indictment.  Managerial careers are ruined or made on those decisions.

This is the most damning argument against Stendel in my opinion. 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No, if you can’t read that I’m pointing out why this GK was here and that he played just as much under those two clowns then maybe you should let the adults talk. 

that’s because there are a significant number of people who think Stendel should still be our manager, and unlike Levein and AM, defend him to the hilt. 

It was brutally apparent to everyone watching hearts that he should have been dropped - he was absolutely dogshit, the myth that DS was forced to play him has been put to bed once and for all.  It’s  absolutely right that Stendel now takes the flak for a complete abortion of a thought process which ended  in our expulsion .. and I actually liked the guy. 

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

When did Levein drop him? Macphee did and then brought him back. 

After the Celtic game. Unless there was another reason. I remember thinking Perrera got away with a couple of things that game. Then Doyle came in for a couple of games and we were still poor but he at least made some good saves. Perrerra came back in after we got beat off Motherwell, more down to defending than Doyle, and we beat Hibs. You're right, McPhee dropped him then brought him back. Stendel seemed to be a bigger fan of him than Levein and McPhee even though he made mistake after mistake under him.

Pasquale for King

Stendel can't say he wasn't backed. We forked out a lot of money for Boyce, and Stendel's wages were massive. He would have got a goalie if he'd asked for one. Robbie brought in Stewart and Gordon and farmed out Doyle in about 2 seconds flat after arriving. He knew it was the first area of the team to address and Stendel should have known it too. The fact he still didn't seem to know it after being in charge for all the games Perrera cost us is a pretty damning indictment.  Managerial careers are ruined or made on those decisions.

He played him for ten games, as did Levein without dropping him even though you said he did. 
We had little money because it was wasted on utter guff. We bought Boyce with the money those ****wits at Atlanta gave us for Mulraney. 
Neilson didn’t start until a week after Gordon signed so it was happening whether he was here or not. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not quite because we know exactly the kind of manager Neilson is, as you always overlook we are in a tinpot league too. 
Stendel had the shambles he inherited at 8th in the form table even with 3 jugglers for GKs. 

A winning manager?

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

that’s not quite accurate is it, We were not bottom when Stendel took over. How could we not be bottom when he took over - and end up bottom if we were 8th in form.🤷‍♂️

If I remember correctly the form table you refer to was taken from an arbitrary date! And included all fixtures including the cup. 

Edited by kingantti1874

Guest ToqueJambo

He played him for ten games, as did Levein without dropping him even though you said he did. 
We had little money because it was wasted on utter guff. We bought Boyce with the money those ****wits at Atlanta gave us for Mulraney. 
Neilson didn’t start until a week after Gordon signed so it was happening whether he was here or not. 

Levein did drop him. Neilson was appointed a week BEFORE Gordon signed.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's a Stendel thread mate.

It is and to discuss it the joke of a club that he walked into has to be mentioned. You can’t talk about the GK and said he played him without mentioning who signed him and also played him.

Do Neilson threads not mention his three predecessors and the problems ha still trying to sort out?

Saint Jambo
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No, if you can’t read that I’m pointing out why this GK was here and that he played just as much under those two clowns then maybe you should let the adults talk. 

In the post I quoted you said "the other two played him as well but it doesn’t seem to be their fault, just Stendels". But that is just garbage. The other two have come in for plenty of criticism, including for the signing of Pereira.

What an insult by the way! Top work. Really cut deep.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You backed Levein til the end didn’t you? 

Nice strawman argument. No, I didn't. I'm capable of understanding that more than one manager can be rubbish. Just because Levein did an awful job for the first half of the season doesn't mean that Stendel must have done a great job. Some of us are capable of holding more than one thought in our head at a time. I know that doesn't apply to you. Just a shame that you feel the need to regurgitate that one thought repeatedly on ever single thread. You really have stepped up to become the jkb bore recently. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

A winning manager?

In this tinpot league definitely, not so much in the league Stendel won with Barnsley. 

Guest ToqueJambo

In this tinpot league definitely, not so much in the league Stendel won with Barnsley. 

He was in the Premiership though, unlike Stendel. Which is more relevant don't you think?

Just go hire another plane and get it out your system FFS.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
Just now, Saint Jambo said:

In the post I quoted you said "the other two played him as well but it doesn’t seem to be their fault, just Stendels". But that is just garbage. The other two have come in for plenty of criticism, including for the signing of Pereira.

What an insult by the way! Top work. Really cut deep.

Nice strawman argument. No, I didn't. I'm capable of understanding that more than one manager can be rubbish. Just because Levein did an awful job for the first half of the season doesn't mean that Stendel must have done a great job. Some of us are capable of holding more than one thought in our head at a time. I know that doesn't apply to you. Just a shame that you feel the need to regurgitate that one thought repeatedly on ever single thread. You really have stepped up to become the jkb bore recently. 

Not one person on this thread has blamed the man who brought JP to the club, it’s all Stendeis fault. 
As for stepping up to the mark I’m only just back from a JKB lockdown so you must have a good memory. 
I will bow to your superior knowledge of what a bore is though, carry on bashing that nasty German. 

Guest ToqueJambo

It is and to discuss it the joke of a club that he walked into has to be mentioned. You can’t talk about the GK and said he played him without mentioning who signed him and also played him.

Do Neilson threads not mention his three predecessors and the problems ha still trying to sort out?

The simple fact is Stendel is in the press saying goalie was not a priority and he rated Perrera for his kicking and that was why he was in the team. He was free to sign a new goalie or drop him. If you're not angry about that there's something wrong with you as everyone knows that decision ultimately meant we were demoted when the pandemic hit.

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Stendel had nothing to do with the Gordon enquiry. Ann took it upon herself. Even she could see it was needed! Stendel was happy with the ‘keepers he had.

Levein had already done all the legwork on the Gordon transfer. It was always happening this summer, Budge/Levein tried to make it happen in January but Lennon wouldn’t allow it. 

Pasquale for King

He was in the Premiership though, unlike Stendel. Which is more relevant don't you think?

With a far better squad of players that were used to his boring style of play. 
Neilson didn’t have MK Dons in 8th in the form table in league one. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Not one person on this thread has blamed the man who brought JP to the club, it’s all Stendeis fault. 
As for stepping up to the mark I’m only just back from a JKB lockdown so you must have a good memory. 
I will bow to your superior knowledge of what a bore is though, carry on bashing that nasty German. 

Wow. Good luck with your next lockdown. Not a single person has called Stendel out for his nationality, just his very questionable decision-making around his goalkeeper.

Unknown user

Cool, you mentioned it, I don't have to join in on your tangent. 

The thread's about Stendel, there's nothing wrong with me talking about his failure to sign a keeper. You talk about what you want 

Pasquale for King

The simple fact is Stendel is in the press saying goalie was not a priority and he rated Perrera for his kicking and that was why he was in the team. He was free to sign a new goalie or drop him. If you're not angry about that there's something wrong with you as everyone knows that decision ultimately meant we were demoted when the pandemic hit.

I am angry about it but nobody seems willing to read what he said and why he did it, there were so many issues to deal with he made the mistake of playing him too long. At least he did eventually. We don’t know if he was free to sign another GK as it was one out one in at that time. 
Has anyone else shown any anger to why we signed him in the first place and who, on this thread?

Pasquale for King

Wow. Good luck with your next lockdown. Not a single person has called Stendel out for his nationality, just his very questionable decision-making around his goalkeeper.

No but the undercurrent is there. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Cool, you mentioned it, I don't have to join in on your tangent. 

The thread's about Stendel, there's nothing wrong with me talking about his failure to sign a keeper. You talk about what you want 

Will do. 
Do you agree he had an absolute shambles to try and fix?

Saint Jambo
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was English League One. They had just been relegated from the Championship, had one of the biggest budgets in the league and were among the preseason favourites. It was hardly some managerial miracle. And despite what you seem to think he didn't even win it!

They haven't blamed anyone else in this thread because as has now been pointed out to you by numerous posters, it is a thread about Stendel. And we are discussing an interview in which he indicates he choose to play Pereira and that he choose not to recruit a replacement because he decided Pereira was good enough. That off the back of his first five games where he had taken 1 point. A period that presumably is conveniently excluded from your form table.

Hopefully the mods will find another reason to suspend you. Would certainly make the board more readable.

Guest ToqueJambo

With a far better squad of players that were used to his boring style of play. 
Neilson didn’t have MK Dons in 8th in the form table in league one. 

Are you being deliberately stupid? Neilson had no-one of the calibre of Boyce or Naismith up front in 1.5 seasons in the Premiership. And he certainly didn't have a LB like Hickey. Yes, he had a pretty well oiled and well balanced team, because that's what he created and got into a winning habit immediately.

We had four main areas of weakness when Stendel took over - goal-scoring, defending, goalie, and lack of width and pace.

He failed to address all of those areas except up front by signing Boyce and getting multiple forwards back from injury so we did have more cutting edge up front. He didn't sign winger or a goalie and our defending actually got worse, because of the system he tried to implement. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

that’s not quite accurate is it, We were not bottom when Stendel took over. How could we not be bottom when he took over - and end up bottom if we were 8th in form.🤷‍♂️

If I remember correctly the form table you refer to was taken from an arbitrary date! And included all fixtures including the cup. 

It was from January, just the league. We went bottom in December. 

Guest ToqueJambo

I am angry about it but nobody seems willing to read what he said and why he did it, there were so many issues to deal with he made the mistake of playing him too long. At least he did eventually. We don’t know if he was free to sign another GK as it was one out one in at that time. 
Has anyone else shown any anger to why we signed him in the first place and who, on this thread?

Everyone knows about the issues. We're talking about a specific major problem that was very fixable and he failed to even think it needed fixing.

Saint Jambo
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No but the undercurrent is there. 

Think you are projecting. The only person who has felt the need to bring up where one of our managers is from is you and your weird "fifers" jibe. Criticising a manager for taking Hearts to the bottom of the league and you think it must be because we're racist? And you think you're the adult!

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Saint Jambo said:

It was English League One. They had just been relegated from the Championship, had one of the biggest budgets in the league and were among the preseason favourites. It was hardly some managerial miracle. And despite what you seem to think he didn't even win it!

They haven't blamed anyone else in this thread because as has now been pointed out to you by numerous posters, it is a thread about Stendel. And we are discussing an interview in which he indicates he choose to play Pereira and that he choose not to recruit a replacement because he decided Pereira was good enough. That off the back of his first five games where he had taken 1 point. A period that presumably is conveniently excluded from your form table.

Hopefully the mods will find another reason to suspend you. Would certainly make the board more readable.

Yet some posters want to give our current manager all the credit in the world for doing the same thing this season. 
Stendel was wrong to play him as long, should’ve replaced him earlier. The reasons for that are up for discussion, like the massive problems he inherited. I’m sure the mods will intervene if Ive strayed off topic, report it. 

iwasthere1954
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not missed him this season anyway 

I was introduced to him before he became a class one ref. He came across as a not bad guy but could be a bit arrogant if that makes senxe.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Everyone knows about the issues. We're talking about a specific major problem that was very fixable and he failed to even think it needed fixing.

Because of the other problems that needed attention, he said that in the article. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, iwasthere1954 said:

I was introduced to him before he became a class one ref. He came across as a not bad guy but could be a bit arrogant if that makes senxe.

Does he work through here, saw him at Haymarket a few times? 
You can be a nice guy and not succeed, as Stendel proves (keeping it on thread 😜). 

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

that’s because there are a significant number of people who think Stendel should still be our manager, and unlike Levein and AM, defend him to the hilt. 

It was brutally apparent to everyone watching hearts that he should have been dropped - he was absolutely dogshit, the myth that DS was forced to play him has been put to bed once and for all.  It’s  absolutely right that Stendel now takes the flak for a complete abortion of a thought process which ended  in our expulsion .. and I actually liked the guy. 

I liked him too, not sure if his biggest support will arrive soon but I think it was probably right to get RN in. I just don’t think we could reshape the squad enough at this time to get the guys in that he needed. Yes he should’ve dropped him quicker. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Because of the other problems that needed attention, he said that in the article. 

Let's hope Stendel does well in his next job. You're really going all in on him, while in the same breath writing off our own manager who faced his own unique set of problems when taking over - and yet who has done a mostly very good job. To the point that all we have to argue about until the end of the season is how many goals we should be winning by and whether Stendel was nay good or not.

Pasquale for King
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Let's hope Stendel does well in his next job. You're really going all in on him, while in the same breath writing off our own manager who faced his own unique set of problems when taking over - and yet who has done a mostly very good job. To the point that all we have to argue about until the end of the season is how many goals we should be winning by and whether Stendel was nay good or not.

Agreed, I’m not writing RN off I voted to see what happens next season in that poll, but a big problem for him is we’ve seen this movie before and some of us didn’t enjoy it. 

iwasthere1954

Does he work through here, saw him at Haymarket a few times? 
You can be a nice guy and not succeed, as Stendel proves (keeping it on thread 😜). 

He was a solicitor or still is. I think he worked from the Tolllcross area. He is from Glasgow and his team is Patrick Thistle (allegedly)

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, iwasthere1954 said:

He was a solicitor or still is. I think he worked from the Tolllcross area. He is from Glasgow and his team is Patrick Thistle (allegedly)

Strange he would work through here, looked he was getting the train. As a big skinny ******* he stands out, you would think he would get a bit of abuse on the commute. Anyway if we had won that game he gave two offside goals Stendel wouldn’t be held responsible for our demotion. 

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nobody wants CL back tho or uses CL to beat our current manager about the head with or says he done a good job last season. 

CL was to blame for taking us down, no one will dispute that on here, Stendel was also to blame, many dispute that. 

Remember Stendel taken us from 10th to 12th, 4 points adrift. 

We weren’t even bottom when CL left.... 

Stendel made us worse than CL and macphee in his short spell. 

Yet folk still champion him.... 

iwasthere1954
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Strange he would work through here, looked he was getting the train. As a big skinny ******* he stands out, you would think he would get a bit of abuse on the commute. Anyway if we had won that game he gave two offside goals Stendel wouldn’t be held responsible for our demotion. 

Good point.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nobody wants CL back tho or uses CL to beat our current manager about the head with or says he done a good job last season. 

CL was to blame for taking us down, no one will dispute that on here, Stendel was also to blame, many dispute that. 

Remember Stendel taken us from 10th to 12th, 4 points adrift. 

We weren’t even bottom when CL left.... 

Stendel made us worse than CL and macphee in his short spell. 

Yet folk still champion him.... 

I was wondering where you were. 
Stop bringing up CL, boring us with the same posts  . . . I’m sure SJ will tell you shortly 😜

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I was wondering where you were. 
Stop bringing up CL, boring us with the same posts  . . . I’m sure SJ will tell you shortly 😜

😘

I was debating with someone else on another thread! 

Hopefully Stendel does well, I liked him- Unless he comes back to Scotland with another club! 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Fozzyonthefence
57 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

If ever there was an interview that should finally bury the Stendel myth this is it.

Played Pereira because he was more interested in his ability to stand high up the pitch than save shots.

Didn't need to play him, but choose to do so. Nothing to do with the terms of the loan agreement.

Had the opportunity to get another keeper in during the January window but decided Pereira was good enough.

Tactically inflexible and a bad judge of players. Came in when we were awful and despite getting some players back from injury and signing a handful of his own players, inexplicably managed to actually make us worse. The fact this joker is still lauded by so many Hearts fans as some kind of managerial messiah is crazy. "Right man, wrong time"? No, just wrong man. Even worse, some of our support use this mythical version of The Great Stendel as a stick to beat our manager, even though he is taking us back to the league where we belong.

He didn’t make us worse at all, and the stats back that up.  Our points per game (marginally) increased in his 14 league games even after losing his first 4, including wins against Rangers and an easy win at Easter Road plus a cup win against Rangers too (2 home wins more against them than Levein managed in his whole Hearts career).  Despite much inconsistency there were definitely signs that we were slowly moving in the right direction, albeit those first 4 games and taking too long to drop the keeper (on top of the first 16 games and the teams around us improving) ultimately were to cost us, so yes he was a failure but he did improve us.

Definitely the wrong time to appoint him though, I’d have liked to have seen him take over at the start of this season - would still have pissed the league and would have been a hell of a lot better to watch. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He didn’t make us worse at all, and the stats back that up.  Our points per game (marginally) increased in his 14 league games even after losing his first 4, including wins against Rangers and an easy win at Easter Road plus a cup win against Rangers too (2 home wins more against them than Levein managed in his whole Hearts career).  Despite much inconsistency there were definitely signs that we were slowly moving in the right direction, albeit those first 4 games and taking too long to drop the keeper (on top of the first 16 games and the teams around us improving) ultimately were to cost us, so yes he was a failure but he did improve us.

Definitely the wrong time to appoint him though, I’d have liked to have seen him take over at the start of this season - would still have pissed the league and would have been a hell of a lot better to watch. 

Might come back, seems to be the way. Sergio first though. 

Stendels pressing tactics struggled against the teams who kept it tight.......really not sure how he’d have coped in the championship tbh.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

😘

I was debating with someone else on another thread! 

Hopefully Stendel does well, I liked him- Unless he comes back to Scotland with another club! 

Fergie has rightly told Aberdeen to her someone who’s not afraid of the OF, could do a job 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️
Bongo 1903 doesn’t have the same ring to it 😆

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Stendels pressing tactics struggled against the teams who kept it tight.......really not sure how he’d have coped in the championship tbh.

Probably struggled as much as we have anyway. 
We have the perfect manager. . . . for this league. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

And that was how many years ago?  Since then he’s been largely responsible for getting MK Dons relegated and only got Dundee Utd up at the second attempt, even though all the big clubs were all already back in the Premiership.  Even Levein was good as manager for us in his first spell, how did that end in the second spell again?

Neilson should be judged on next season, this season it is job done with much room for improvement.  Would have been interesting to see how we would have done this season then next in the Premiership with Stendel putting his style on the team over a long period of time rather than just 3 months with a dreadful team shot of confidence but we’ll never know now. 

• davemclaren locked this topic