SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

husref musemic

Putting the boot into hearts for having had the audacity to question the expulsion fiasco will play a part.

They'd f'n love to keep us down.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

2 minutes ago, husref musemic said:

Putting the boot into hearts for having had the audacity to question the expulsion fiasco will play a part.

Always thought they wouldn't need an excuse to try and do this after we challenged them.

They would absolutely love to keep us in the Championship as long as possible.

5 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

This has been a bad week for the spfl/sfa PR wise. They've been called out on a number of their actions and have answered to no-one. Is it just me... or does there seem to be an air of desperation in their actions. I'm hoping some sort of implosion is on the horizon... of course, I may be well off the mark. However, at least the press have started to print some condemnation.

If there is desperation, it will be by all the parasites at the sfa/Spfl to keep there seats on the gravy train 

My reading of the situation is Alloa and possibly a few others are struggling, especially with the new costs of testing, and would prefer the season to be suspended/stopped so they can furlough staff.

They've just jumped on Robbo's comments as an excuse to see if they can garner enough votes.

Doncaster parrots that the clubs make the decisions, but leagues 1 and 2 weren't given a say, so they must realise they have to be more subtle with the championship to get their desired outcome.

17 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

One factor that I've not seen mentioned yet is our new Chief Excec's good relationship with the SFA. I would hope/expect that he is putting on a lot of phone calls and unlike last season he has a decent chance of someone actually listening. Although it is the that ultimately blah blah blah...

Pointless without the backing of the majority of clubs and we all know where their loyalties lie.

51 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Look, at the end of the day, a three week break of ALL sport is a perfectly valid idea. Players and all working in foitball are being asked to work, travel etc while the virus is at its peak.

As usual, the spfl and sfa's approach is 100% the issue. There is no openness, no grown up discussions, no inclusion. Its all divisive, aggressive and dictatorial.

As others have said, wee Robbo has raised personal concerns in an interview he openly and commendably shares mental health issues. And the SFA use it to hide behind instead of just actually looking to protect and nurture our people.

If we stop for a few weeks, so be it. There is literally no argument for n&v. I know the concern is we don't restart, but at the end of the day, if the clubs, players, staff don't feel safe, that needs respected. I know a pro rugby player, and he and his partner's life, away from home, not seen family for a long long time, very strict rules, but also real risk of infection just doing his job. It's a lot to ask of people.

The issue isn't a break, it's trusting the SFA and spfl to manage it.

Spot on.

I wonder if the Scottish Government is asking itself a few questions now about the reliability of the SFA and SPFL as partners in controlling the virus in the community, especially after the Dubai/Celtic affair? If the SFA is suggesting that professional clubs in the Championship are struggling with the situation then why wouldn't clubs like Hamilton, Livi, St Mirren etc, have equal trouble? It seems to me that clubs in the Championship have no worse, and maybe a better record, than clubs in the Premiership.

It wouldn't surprise me if Rangers and Celtic see the danger here and lean on the Championship clubs not to rock the boat by setting a precedent. I'd bet that Motherwell Hamilton and Ross county would jump at the chance of pausing the league right now. 

PS. If the SG themselves don't notice this then a wee e-mail to the Sports Minister  pointing out the inconsistencies might be a good idea. I think we'll have an interesting couple of days.

Edited by upgotheheads

This vote/opinion makes further mockery of an already tinpot Scottish Football.

If the government and health authorities agree that professional football can continue in this country then it should continue. 

It should not be left to clubs to vote on as we all know they will vote for self interest and health will have little bearing on how they vote/give opinion.

If covid is that bad just now that professional sport has to close down then so be it, but that is not the case.

14 minutes ago, blairdin said:

I think this is where I am. All that's left for me post Covid is meeting my mates for a beer and watching Hearts play football.

I have no doubt last night was playing the seed for a suspension of our division. It won't happen right away, but I think it will happen. To be fair, I can understand the predicament of the players and staff at Alloa and Arbroath - a league involving a mix of full and part time clubs in a pandemic was a disaster waiting to happen. That's why reconstruction, either temporary or permanent, was a necessity last year.

I have zero interest in Scottish football, or the majority of clubs in it.

Atlantic League. The bottom of the English pyramid. A breakaway league comprising us, Partick, Falkirk, Cove, anyone else that wants change. I really don't care as long as Hearts put out a team of 11 players who want to play and entertain. 

What I don't want post Covid is for Hearts to be playing in the same old set up against the same old teams that shafted us or who lack the balls to exist without the old firm pounds. One thing Covid has proven once and for all is that Scottish Football isn't currently a competition, it's simply a mechanism to try to ensure Celtic win stuff.

Something has to be change.

Excellent, heart felt post👍

32 minutes ago, Gambo said:

The government should decide, not clubs.

The govt at the moment decides far to much or at Least the politicians do. Football must run football and if it follows safety advice must continue.  
The funding is in place and should only be paid if football is a going concern otherwise it should be redirected to areas that will use it to survive not to hibernate. 

41 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Look, at the end of the day, a three week break of ALL sport is a perfectly valid idea. Players and all working in foitball are being asked to work, travel etc while the virus is at its peak.

As usual, the spfl and sfa's approach is 100% the issue. There is no openness, no grown up discussions, no inclusion. Its all divisive, aggressive and dictatorial.

As others have said, wee Robbo has raised personal concerns in an interview he openly and commendably shares mental health issues. And the SFA use it to hide behind instead of just actually looking to protect and nurture our people.

If we stop for a few weeks, so be it. There is literally no argument for n&v. I know the concern is we don't restart, but at the end of the day, if the clubs, players, staff don't feel safe, that needs respected. I know a pro rugby player, and he and his partner's life, away from home, not seen family for a long long time, very strict rules, but also real risk of infection just doing his job. It's a lot to ask of people.

The issue isn't a break, it's trusting the SFA and spfl to manage it.

So if they have a three week break are they going to stop training? I very much doubt it so they still have to travel to the training ground they still have player/staff meetings etc, etc.

So the only difference a three week shutdown would make is that they don't play any competetive games.

Clubs have been told in the Cham[pionship they must all test players and staff and had that been done at the start of the season outbreaks such as the one at Raith could have been controlled much better.

It's not as if they didn't have the money to do this because they had the donations from James Anderson.

1 minute ago, jambomjm74 said:

The govt at the moment decides far to much or at Least the politicians do. Football must run football and if it follows safety advice must continue.  
The funding is in place and should only be paid if football is a going concern otherwise it should be redirected to areas that will use it to survive not to hibernate. 

What a load of nonsense. It is the Governments duty to protect it's people during a pandemic and if that means cancelling football then that is what they have to do.

Do you not realise that Scottish Football is run by a shower of incompetents who only look after the interests of two clubs with the main focaus on one of those two.

21 minutes ago, blairdin said:

I think this is where I am. All that's left for me post Covid is meeting my mates for a beer and watching Hearts play football.

I have no doubt last night was playing the seed for a suspension of our division. It won't happen right away, but I think it will happen. To be fair, I can understand the predicament of the players and staff at Alloa and Arbroath - a league involving a mix of full and part time clubs in a pandemic was a disaster waiting to happen. That's why reconstruction, either temporary or permanent, was a necessity last year.

Atlantic League. The bottom of the English pyramid. A breakaway league comprising us, Partick, Falkirk, Cove, anyone else that wants change. I really don't care as long as Hearts put out a team of 11 players who want to play and entertain. 

What I don't want post Covid is for Hearts to be playing in the same old set up against the same old teams that shafted us or who lack the balls to exist without the old firm pounds. One thing Covid has proven once and for all is that Scottish Football isn't currently a competition, it's simply a mechanism to try to ensure Celtic win stuff.

great post

So the SFA/SPFL are now taking an interview with a manager as reason to effectively trigger a vote when they previously refused to vote on an formally proposed resolution due to ‘wording’? 

Yet again clear evidence that they are utterly unfit to be running Scottish football and any other industry would have removed these charlatans.

If football needs suspended which it doesn't just now it most certainly doesn't need to be nulled and voided.Off until late March or April and just bin the Scottish Cup this season and the league's could still be done for June.

9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's a UEFA rule if Premiership teams want to play in Europe next season apparently. It's a precedent rather than a rule in Scotland though.

It isn't. If it was you can be sure ND would be talking about it. 

25 minutes ago, blairdin said:

Good post mate. Feel the same myself... zero interest apart from Hearts. The ONLY game I've watched in from the Prem, was the last shellick v hubz game, and that was because I wanted the mhanks gubbed. i only watched the 1st half. Apart from that, I've seen shanklands goal (more out of curiosity). I haven't seen anything else. Not a goal or anything. Couldn't give a fcuk.

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That’s a precedent that could play in our favour if leagues get called. 

This type of attitude is part of the problem, clubs and fans will go along with whatever as long as it suits them. 

It's also very short sighted. 

IMO, fair is fair no matter what end of the stick is facing you. 

That is why the OF get away with their shite, they throw some crumbs at the rest and we fight amongst ourselves to live another day. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Manny1874 said:

The incompetence of the Scottish football leadership never fails to amaze me.

As with Westminster imo, it's became a parody of itself. 

You Litterally couldn't script bigger **** ups and the frequency is staggering. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Ribble said:

So the SFA/SPFL are now taking an interview with a manager as reason to effectively trigger a vote when they previously refused to vote on an formally proposed resolution due to ‘wording’? 

Yet again clear evidence that they are utterly unfit to be running Scottish football and any other industry would have removed these charlatans.

Can't make it up. 

If this season does go to pot a massive change is needed.A breakaway needs to happen and only full time clubs are part of a new structure and if that only means two leagues so be it the other teams can form other leagues and they can take part in the Scottish Cup but no entry to top two leagues unless you have the means to be Professional.

9 hours ago, Aaron78 said:

I really don't understand on what basis they can vote to suspend a league against the wishes of teams that want to and can continue. Its once again a disgrace, asking teams with their own self interests at heart to shaft bigger and better run teams. 

If this happens and we spend another season in this league I hope our fans remember this forever. 

Your opening sentence nails it.  

29 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

If there is desperation, it will be by all the parasites at the sfa/Spfl to keep there seats on the gravy train 

My reading of the situation is Alloa and possibly a few others are struggling, especially with the new costs of testing, and would prefer the season to be suspended/stopped so they can furlough staff.

They've just jumped on Robbo's comments as an excuse to see if they can garner enough votes.

Doncaster parrots that the clubs make the decisions, but leagues 1 and 2 weren't given a say, so they must realise they have to be more subtle with the championship to get their desired outcome.

get our league stopped and then only the top flight to go to achieve their aim

If the problem is the testing of players for the smaller clubs that problem will still be there next season as the Government aren't just going to say in August "Right everyone you no longer need to test for Covid" these tests will be part of football for a long time to come I'd imagine so if these small clubs can't afford it tough shit and let the rest of us get on with the football

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

If this season does go to pot a massive change is needed.A breakaway needs to happen and only full time clubs are part of a new structure and if that only means two leagues so be it the other teams can form other leagues and they can take part in the Scottish Cup but no entry to top two leagues unless you have the means to be Professional.

Yes. This was spoken about 9 months ago... and made absolute sense back then. Non-professional teams could have been mothballed to reduce overheads to an absolute minimum, allowing (proper) professional clubs, that could afford to play this season. Makes sense. Never happen. The non-pros have been give a voice that holds as much power as the rest. Absolutely barking!

Bazzas right boot
39 minutes ago, husref musemic said:

36 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Always thought they wouldn't need an excuse to try and do this after we challenged them.

They would absolutely love to keep us in the Championship as long as possible.

I don't think they give a **** either way Tbh. 

All about celtic atm, and In general over the decades all about the OF. 

Nothing else matters, Litterally nothing. 

It wouldn't surprise me if league reconstruction happens but the OF get their colt teams in the league set up. As above, all about them. 

Whatever happens, voting set up, league numbers, fixture rules,spfl  board set . Any change - the OF will benefit in some way. Either one of them or both. 

There will never be a change without both or one of them benefiting. Never. 

When rangers got liquidated, that was exposed, everything was done to keep them happy, only fan power moved it on. The vote last season..

Everything in Scottish football is about them, everything. 

They nothing Hearts, like they do the other clubs. 

We were collateral damage last season, could have been any club. 

I hate the *****. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

1 minute ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yes. This was spoken about 9 months ago... and made absolute sense back then. Non-professional teams could have been mothballed to reduce overheads to an absolute minimum, allowing (proper) professional clubs, that could afford to play this season. Makes sense. Never happen. The non-pros have been give a voice that holds as much power as the rest. Absolutely barking!

It's why a breakaway is needed and when it is done rules and regulations need worked on so that a new league is for the benefit of everyone not individual self interest.

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It wouldn't surprise me if league reconstruction happens but the OF get their colt teams in the league set up. As above, all about them. 

Whatever happens, voting set up, league numbers, fixture rules,spfl  board set . Any change - the OF will benefit in some way. Either one of them or both. 

When rangers got liquidated, that was exposed, everything was done to keep them happy, only fan power moved it on. The vote last season..

I hate the *****. 

I think they have a special hatred for us especially as we dared to challenge them in the courts.

1 hour ago, Rods said:

I am not sure why people think Null and Void will happen. It may get put on the table but the financial implications would put that to an end. Null and Void is a Celtic fans wet dream. 

I doubt there would be many financial implications of they null and voided all but the Prem.

This is a Spfl/SpL deflection from dubaigate. To take the heat off. 

Edited by Hector Riva

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's why a breakaway is needed and when it is done rules and regulations need worked on so that a new league is for the benefit of everyone not individual self interest.

Totally agree... but, for me, it requires abig brain, that has nothing to do with Scottish football at the minute. In fact, a non-scottish brain, to put a fair proposal together. One for the many not the two. A fair league set-up. is it really too much to ask for?

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I hate the *****. 

Getting their colts team in seems to be their major objective just now. I’m sure that their plan is to get that done then seek to leave the league here leaving their B team behind thereby by their way of it a comfort blanket for getting back in if it all goes tits up for them else where, and continuing to exert influence in the game here. 

3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I doubt there would be many financial implications of they null and voided all but the Prem.

The BBC have a contract with the championship. Not sure how much it’s worth. But it would definitely cost those clubs. 

manaliveits105

Petr15's mits all over this too - but he is a great guy though attends the memorial service blah blah blah 

Maxwell is a lacky dimwit 

6 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Totally agree... but, for me, it requires abig brain, that has nothing to do with Scottish football at the minute. In fact, a non-scottish brain, to put a fair proposal together. One for the many not the two. A fair league set-up. is it really too much to ask for?

Agreed some task needed but it is needed. 

3 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

The BBC have a contract with the championship. Not sure how much it’s worth. But it would definitely cost those clubs. 

I think Prem Sports maybe have the playoffs too.

34 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

What a load of nonsense. It is the Governments duty to protect it's people during a pandemic and if that means cancelling football then that is what they have to do.

Do you not realise that Scottish Football is run by a shower of incompetents who only look after the interests of two clubs with the main focaus on one of those two.

Sorry I disagree, health experts should make the decision not someone who’s clinical expertise is limited at best and qualification is that they want / don’t want independence. Yes politicians make decisions, they should be based on industry and qualified professional assessment and they should rubber stamp it and not control it. 

Scottish football is run by incompetents, we agree there, but they have more knowledge than said politicians (other than Ross who has a clear conflict of interest and isn’t involved in running clubs)
The money £500k should be based on continuing the league or go where it will be used and not squirrelled away. 

To get to the over 75% of games played like they were quoting last year we’d need to play until late March (21 games).

I’d be interested to see if it would need the same amount votes passed in order for the league to be stopped. You’d have to think that at least ourselves, Dundee and Dunfermline would vote against it as we all have a good chance of being promoted. However I don’t trust those clubs as far as I can throw them.

I wonder if Maxwell is trying to cover his arse here. So if anything happens Covid related in the Championship that the SG takes a dislike to, he can say ‘well it’s not our fault, we asked them if they wanted to suspend, they said no so it’s on them’

It won’t wash of course but it wouldn’t surprise me if that was the intent ,he’s such a clown

Nobody can predict what incompetence,  corruption,  hypocrisy and snakery lies ahead.  I'm pretty much expecting the best efforts of various parties to come along and smash us in the face.

Footballfirst

I believe that Scot Gardiner will be speaking to the BBC this afternoon (unsure whether it is a news item or on Sportsound). He is unhappy that ICT has been named as supporting a pause.

16 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

To get to the over 75% of games played like they were quoting last year we’d need to play until late March (21 games).

I’d be interested to see if it would need the same amount votes passed in order for the league to be stopped. You’d have to think that at least ourselves, Dundee and Dunfermline would vote against it as we all have a good chance of being promoted. However I don’t trust those clubs as far as I can throw them.

Add Inverness to that who have said they don’t want the league stopped. Despite Raiths issues they are in a good position to compete for a play off spot as well. 

12 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Ewan Murray getting tore right in as usual! Keep up the good work, sir!

97319DCA-0A33-4A8C-B6DD-3C022C4DE85E.jpeg

Presumably "Maxy" will be contacting Celtic to see if they wish to carry on playing due to the "mental health" issues that Lennon and Griffiths seemingly have.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Why is English football not threatened with any of this and we are? 

Because Celtic don't play in England.

Clubs agreed to start playing in October and being able to fulfill the truncated season, if they now can't then they should forfeit and face some sort of penalty either relegation or no further money from the league/government.

Footballfirst

I'm just waiting for the SFA to send out an email to clubs to see if they want changes in the governance of Scottish football after some clubs voiced their concerns publicly during the last few days.

Edited by Footballfirst

All the SG can pretty much do is decide under what terms it is safe for football to progress, if at all.

What leagues continue, stop, n&v, declare season finished is up to the football authorities, member clubs.

That said, the terms of the grants or loans may have clawbacks and penalties if football doesn't continue when the SG says it can, and say the purpose of the support was to allow games to be played.

Edited by DETTY29

10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I believe that Scot Gardiner will be speaking to the BBC this afternoon (unsure whether it is a news item or on Sportsound). He is unhappy that ICT has been named as supporting a pause.

Sounds good.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

In an email sent on Friday, he refers to one club having publicly called for a suspension of all football.

However, it appears Maxwell may have interpreted comments from manager John Robertson as an official endorsement from Inverness Caley Thistle.

The Highland club say they are not in favour of a temporary pause.

...you couldn't make it up. How do they continually get away with this crap.

The clubs should be telling the SFA that their premise (or excuse) for asking them the question is false (or a lie) and demanding the request should be withdrawn immediately.

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )