SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Why would any team out with us, not fancy there chances in the play off?

Shambles.

When will this country’s football be governed by proper professionals?

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Just the 4 Scottish football governing board farces this week then. The Celtic-Dubai-Hibs fiasco. The League 1&2 suspension without consultation. The overturn of the St.Mirren/Killie results. Now the "asking" of Championship clubs to suspend the campaign. Add those to the running total of farces going back to last spring.

At what point can or will enough clubs demand a vote of no confidence in its own governing body and in the people being paid handsomely to run it?

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

For a start Dunfermline must fancy their chances against the play off team.

That’s one team - you need another 5!

Looks like they have thrown a hand grenade( controversial email ) in on a Friday evening and they will keep their heads down over the weekend. Let all  the teams argue amongst themselves, then we can decide what happens next.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

So did we deserve to get relegated?

Why do Hamilton deserve to be relegated every season? Seems a bit weird tbh, tinpot club but punch above their weight. 

Don't worry about it. I just can't stand Hamilton. An anti-football team if ever there was one. At least Ross County, Caley, Livi, etc make an effort and get top 6 or even better some years. Hamilton contribute absolutely nothing except bring some horrible footballers to our game to play on their horrible pitch.

1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

If thats what it took for teams to get relegated then the Premiership would certainly look a lot different!

Hamilton add nothing to the Premier league - NOTHING!

Siphiwe Tshabalala
1 minute ago, obua said:

Looks like they have thrown a hand grenade( controversial email ) in on a Friday evening and they will keep their heads down over the weekend. Let all  the teams argue amongst themselves, then we can decide what happens next.

Embarrassingly, this sounds spot on.

Similar to the government.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

As it stands, I’d rather play in the English leagues than Scotland.

Scotland gives us nothing other than ripping Hibs. 

That’s not enough for me.

I’d enjoy our rise up the leagues. We’d get bigger crowds against Wycombe, Bristol etc than Hamilton, St Johnstone, Ross Cointy and ICT

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Don't worry about it. I just can't stand Hamilton. An anti-football team if ever there was one. At least Ross County, Caley, Livi, etc make an effort and get top 6 or even better some years. Hamilton contribute absolutely nothing except bring some horrible footballers to our game to play on their horrible pitch.

Spot on!

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Whoever finishes in the playoff spot in the Prem will be there for the taking this season. Raith, Dundee, Ayr, Caley and Dunfermline would all fancy their chances of promotion if they can finish in the playoff spots. If I was a fan of any of these clubs I'd be fuming if we threw in the towel after 10 games.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

For a start Dunfermline must fancy their chances against the play off team.

Stevie Crawford was asked the question in after match interview.

He basically said that he had not heard anything, but he would want to continue playing football.

It's obvious that the team finishing 11th in Premiership this season, will not be guaranteed to win play off, so SC might fancy his chances of getting promotion.

Just now, Thomaso said:

Hamilton add nothing to the Premier league - NOTHING!

i'd probably agree but they have been there on merit for a few years now. 

2 minutes ago, obua said:

Maxwell is playing a blinder for Celtic - he has now deflected all the focus away from their pish up in Dubai.

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

They were in a play-off position when the league was stopped so there was every chance. Plus they deserve to get relegated every season IMO.

I would love them to get relegated but they didn’t deserve to get relegated last season.  Deserved a play off would be a different argument but not if your argument is that we didn’t deserve to be relegated for being bottom.  We were worse than them and even we didn’t deserve to get relegated. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle1874 said:

Yes I would want to start from the bottom how can fifa argue against it when there are welsh teams in the set up and as for leaving am sure hearts would have something am not saying we will defo get in but this in Scotland is just shocking is there not a written rule that if a team will benefit the overall good of the game then they go to the top of the waiting list to get in and we all know that hearts are A bigger club then 90% of English teams 

Welsh teams joined the English FA before Wales had an Football league and were allowed to stay there having been in the English system for decades before.......Thats why.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

So, Robbo does a piece primarily opening up about his mental health and at the end of it questions the football authorities actions. What does Maxwell do. Does he offer empathy, help, make comments about what we can do to support players and staff with Mental Health issues ? 

No, he takes the opportunity with both hands, presents this is an official club view and piles pressure on the guy and points the finger at him, or at least ensures that fingers are pointed.

What a fecking snake of a man. Unfit for office. 

Pretty much. The wee man is rightly worried about his players and possibly himself. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

I would love them to get relegated but they didn’t deserve to get relegated last season.  Deserved a play off would be a different argument but not if your argument is that we didn’t deserve to be relegated for being bottom.  We were worse than them and even we didn’t deserve to get relegated. 

I think we all know Hamilton would have finished in one of the bottom two spots in a full season last season and will this season. Very few of us think we would have stayed bottom. Standby it, Hamilton deserve to get relegated every season for being a horrific excuse for a top level football club.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

If the sfa/spfl/celtic board have used Robbo ,i expect a strong statement from ICT 

Let’s hope so. 

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Whoever finishes in the playoff spot in the Prem will be there for the taking this season. Raith, Dundee, Ayr, Caley and Dunfermline would all fancy their chances of promotion if they can finish in the playoff spots. If I was a fan of any of these clubs I'd be fuming if we threw in the towel after 10 games.

I never thought of that angle, that is a very good point though, I think there is more to it though, it is all about celtic getting N & V for the SPL, this is just one step of their corrupt plan!

27 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I have some magic beans you might be interested in 😆

:rofl:

23 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

We need to play it like it is. We need to leave no doubt about how this division was going to end up.

Can only agree with that mate.

The Old Tolbooth
16 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Why would any club other than Hearts want to play on?

That was my thoughts too, we have a lot to lose here and no one else does in the league, they could easily vote to keep us down in the hope fans are allowed in during 21-22 season, and profiteering from it, we’re not in a great position when it comes down to it! 

Edited by The Old Tolbooth

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Kyle1874 said:

Yes I would want to start from the bottom how can fifa argue against it when there are welsh teams in the set up and as for leaving am sure hearts would have something am not saying we will defo get in but this in Scotland is just shocking is there not a written rule that if a team will benefit the overall good of the game then they go to the top of the waiting list to get in and we all know that hearts are A bigger club then 90% of English teams 

FIFA don’t allow clubs to join leagues in other countries. The Welsh reference is irrelevant, these clubs were in the English leagues before FIFA existed.  Any clubs playing in the Welsh league now wouldn’t be allowed to join the English league. 

And of course there is no such rule or a waiting list!  

6 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Keep going unless all football stops - see how that pans out 

Our saving grace is that Rangers are way in front in the Premier league. No way the SPFL will null and void the league and take the title away from them.

So I think that all leagues will be suspended for 6 weeks and started up again.

Edited by Thomaso

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Pretty much. The wee man is rightly worried about his players and possibly himself. 

It’s utterly criminal. You only have to read that article to see the guy is struggling a bit. The emotion was all over the text of what he said. Why didn’t Maxwell just phone ICT and ask them instead of writing a letter to all clubs and making sure the media knew it had been written, putting Robbo right in the firing line, a man who is clearly close to breaking down and chucking it. 

19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Unfortunately I think Robbo has caused all of this with his personal view on the current situation, his club haven’t said anything, and Maxwell has made a play for some publicity to make himself look important. 
Hopefully this will be forgotten about in a few days. 

Completely agree and whilst I have every sympathy for Robbo ( I have suffered depression in the past) , this is a matter for his employers who should be providing the necessary support. I think Robbo is being naive in the extreme here or maybe it's just his emotions coming through but it's not an issue for the SPFL. 

To posters on here who have been saying all day : this is the start of N&V , no promotion/relegation etc : the SPFLs own QC said in court - to justify Hearts relegation/expulsion - "it's all about promotion & relegation", it's what football is all about. There's absolutely no reason why the season can't be extended to complete the lower divisions , if that is what's required. The main stumbling block advanced by Doncaster last year was the timing of players contracts renewals - big deal, the clubs can easily find a solution to that if they wanted to. 

8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Welsh teams joined the English FA before Wales had an Football league and were allowed to stay there having been in the English system for decades before.......Thats why.

I am sure a seen somewhere that you could join the English league and now after looking it’s saying that the home nations would need to merge 

am big enough to apologise and say got that wrong my bad man 

Edited by Kyle1874

Amazing amount of shite in Scottish football this last week or so.

L1 and L2 closed down with no consultation

Historic abuse charges up in court at Celtic Park

Meeting with attendees muted 

Maxwell saying Celtic did nothing wrong

Hibs being told to play via Celtic or rish severe repercussions

Dubai fallout

Lawells we are more affected than any other team

Now this tonight 

Makes you wonder what the point is

Edited by sadj

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Completely agree and whilst I have every sympathy for Robbo ( I have suffered depression in the past) , this is a matter for his employers who should be providing the necessary support. I think Robbo is being naive in the extreme here or maybe it's just his emotions coming through but it's not an issue for the SPFL. 

To posters on here who have been saying all day : this is the start of N&V , no promotion/relegation etc : the SPFLs own QC said in court - to justify Hearts relegation/expulsion - "it's all about promotion & relegation", it's what football is all about. There's absolutely no reason why the season can't be extended to complete the lower divisions , if that is what's required. The main stumbling block advanced by Doncaster last year was the timing of players contracts renewals - big deal, the clubs can easily find a solution to that if they wanted to. 

The contract thing was bollox aswell. As soon as the transfer window was adjusted it became an irrelevance. 

10 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

We would only need another one.

As established last year they need 8 Championship teams (>75%) to vote to change the rules (eg call league or N&V) unless they can find some other obscure way of doing it that they couldn't find last year.

32 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Stephen McGowan (journalist) saying on twitter that Championship looking likely to continue. Not sure what has happened in the last hour or so. 

Probably nothing. 

Can't see the championship finishing tbh.

Toxteth O'Grady
1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Our saving grace is that Rangers are way in front in the Premier league. No way the SPFL will null and void the league and take the title away from them.

So I think that all leagues will be suspended for 6 weeks and started up again.

There is no hurry to complete them as far as we are concerned. The summer will do. We’ve no real interest in Europe or International stuff as far as I’m concerned 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

It's quite obvious. Scottish football is essentially a vehicle for Celtic to Try and gain entry into the Champions League group stages.

😉

5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Look at the top of the Scottish Premier. It will take a brave man to N&V that situation. Not happening. Not a chance of it.

Edited by JimmyCant

Just now, sadj said:

The contract thing was bollox aswell. As soon as the transfer window was adjusted it became an irrelevance. 

Exactly. I said at the time it was a red herring as the SPFL had absolute power  to do whatever they wanted to get around this so called problem. But they never even tried, Doncaster just sent his letter of intent sucking up to UEFA before the idea was even discussed. 

1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

We would only need another one.

As established last year they need 8 Championship teams (>75%) to vote to change the rules (eg call league or N&V) unless they can find some other obscure way of doing it that they couldn't find last year.

I don’t trust the SPFL as far as I could throw the scumbags! Who knows what crooked voting structure they would invent!

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Look at the top of the Scottish Premier. It will take a brave man to N&V that situation. Not happening. Not a chance of it.

To be fair, they might not have a choice if it comes down to a vote! It is a members organisation after all! 

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Look at the top of the Scottish Premier. It will take a brave man to N&V that situation. Not happening. Not a chance if it.

Completely agree : it's exactly like 19/20 ie there is one runaway winner and the team in 2nd has no chance of catching up, there is already precedent in calling the leagues as they stand anyways. 

Every decision, every move and every leak / reporting by the Scottish MSM is a move towards N&V or anything that will benefit Celtic.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Look at the top of the Scottish Premier. It will take a brave man to N&V that situation. Not happening. Not a chance if it.

If the SPFL null and void the premier league and take the title away from Rangers they will need 24 hour protection!

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'm not saying anyone should get the jag ahead of anyone. Who said that?

I'm not justifying anything, merely a suggestion.

However, There is also an argument for vaccinating folk that are working and mixing ahead of folk that don't work, can't work, are shielding and can work 100% from home, that is a different argument tho, not one I care to get into.

The argument for universal health care v private is also a separate argument, but it does exist.

For example, if Lothian buses, private care homes or Sainsbury's   wanted to pay for it's employees to get a vaccination as they are working on the frontline, dealing with the public and they want their staff to continue working, be as safe as possible and protect their business then I'd have no issue with it, as long as they are picking up the cost and not pushing to the front of the NHS queue.

As well as protecting their front line staff who are mixing with others, They'd also be saving the tax payer money.

Same principle with footballers or rugby players etc, if the professional sports are going ahead then imo it is worth the governing bodies exploring with it's members that possibility. Why wouldn't they?

The bigger argument is that professional sport should be suspended, the staff furloughed and therefore kept safe. This allows other professionals who are essential to work and cannot work from home  (from cleaning, retail, plumbing to Doctors) and vulnerable people to be vaccinated without other groups such as sportsman being at increased risk. That is common sense thing to do, but puts clubs, communities and more jobs at risk.

Sports people right now are essentially  putting themselves at risk possibly more than anyone apart from NHS staff dealing with COVID patients- they can't wear masks and they can't socially distance. Basically, footballers right now are doing the complete  opposite of the guidance , and for a game- doing unessential work, can't wear masks and can't socially distance.

The EPL for example could easily vaccinate all it's players through a paid foreign/ third  party, ensuring all it's staff are protected, less burden on the NHS, less cost to the tax payer and it can continue it's " Business" in the safest possible way.

The trouble with your argument is that private companies can't just pay to have vaccine supplies magicked out of thin air. Any supplies they did buy, if they could, would be supplies that otherwise could have gone to the NHS to be given to more vulnerable people on the priority list. It's not as if Pfizer and Astrazeneca's manufacturing facilities are just working on the odd day or two per week because there's not much demand. They're producing vaccines as quickly as they can and the government/NHS, and equivalents in other countries, are trying to get as much as they can as quickly as they can. Your argument would only hold water when manufacturers get to the point where they have spare capacity to make more than is needed to meet the demand from governments, etc, and by that time, the UK will almost certainly be well past the point of vaccinating all of the vulnerable categories and onto the more general public anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Why would any team out with us, not fancy there chances in the play off?

Shambles.

When will this country’s football be governed by proper professionals?

Also don't get why many champ sides would back a conspiracy theory to keep us in this league for yet another season, meaning it would be playoffs at best for them until 22/23 season. 

There was a Dunfermline director (i believe) talking at ht on their game tonight, even he's already thrown the towel in re us winning the league - one of our nearest competitors! Surely Dundee, Dunfermline, Raith etc, would rather get us out of here ASAP (especially when they can't even take advantage of our away crowds) and replace us with a Hamilton or Ross County. 

Still doesn't get away from the fact this is yet another shady and embarrassing moment for Scottish football though. ****ing disgusting. 

Just now, D4nny_ said:

To be fair, they might not have a choice if it comes down to a vote! It is a members organisation after all! 

Why would member clubs go against last years' legal advice - which was DO NOT N&V  because if you do - the league sponsors money will have to be repaid , TV money likewise, clubs could face legal demands for return of ST money and individual sponsors' money ?

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )