SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I sense that he is losing power here. Forced to grudgingly apologise over Dubai by someone (it clearly wasn’t voluntary) I imagine folk starting to tell their secretary they are unavailable if he calls. Lennon waiting for the hammer to fall any day now. Bad feeling building up gradually again on the SFA/SPFL for their handling of things. Could be some half decent changes coming out of this mess at some stage. All it takes is a few big club chairmen to finally find their baws and get some of the media onboard and the whole cabal could be brought crashing down 

Yes, at present there is a feeling of the shifting of the sand. The thing is we dont want a shifting from the East of Glasgow, to the West just south of the River Clyde.

I dont think we will. 

I think there has been a hell of alot going on behind the scenes, and we behind the scenes have been at the forefront of that. 

The fact we are not shouting from the rooftops, doesnt mean to say things are not happening.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

1 hour ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Without wanting to get ahead of myself - how many points do we need to win before we mathematically can’t be caught? 

While I'm confident we are going to win the league, the answer at the moment is a lot. If Raith win their two games in hand they are 6 points  behind us with 48 points to play for. So in theory we could need around 42points to make it mathematically impossible. In reality no other team is going to take anything like full points from their remaining games, but far too early to be talking about mathematically certain of winning the league.

Despite all the chatter, I'm confident the league will be played to a finish.

portobellojambo1
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Yes, at present there is a feeling of the shifting of the sand. The thing is we dont want a shifting from the East of Glasgow, to the West just south of the River Clyde.

I dont think we will. 

I think there has been a hell of alot going on behind the scenes, and we behind the scenes have been at the forefront of that. 

The fact we are not shouting from the rooftops, doesnt mean to say things are not happening.

The problem is John that I think everyon knows how Scottish football works, in football terms it does seem if it is coming close to a situation where the power is shifting from Celtic to Rangers. And I don't think it is too difficult to expect that in future years that the influence over Scottish football will move from Parkhead to Ibrox as well. It has been like that in the past. While I understand a lot of comments made on here and on Facebook about the non OF clubs considering setting up a league of their own I'm not convinced that will change anything much. Within a new separate league I'd think it is reasonable to assume one of the breakaway clubs would become strongest and it is also reasonable to assume whichever club that might be would then look to adopt the position Celtic and Rangers hold alternately in the existing league set up. Something has to change, but I'm not convinced a breakaway league would make all the problems disappear.

3 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

The problem is John that I think everyon knows how Scottish football works, in football terms it does seem if it is coming close to a situation where the power is shifting from Celtic to Rangers. And I don't think it is too difficult to expect that in future years that the influence over Scottish football will move from Parkhead to Ibrox as well. It has been like that in the past. While I understand a lot of comments made on here and on Facebook about the non OF clubs considering setting up a league of their own I'm not convinced that will change anything much. Within a new separate league I'd think it is reasonable to assume one of the breakaway clubs would become strongest and it is also reasonable to assume whichever club that might be would then look to adopt the position Celtic and Rangers hold alternately in the existing league set up. Something has to change, but I'm not convinced a breakaway league would make all the problems disappear.

It’s the voting system inside the present arrangement that allows all the nonsense to happen. Until that is sorted out nothing will change.

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I dont think we will. 

Yeah, I'd go along with that, remember -  'we lost the battle'.

I really did think we would have seen change last year, unfortunately, it wasn't to be largely due to the cabal (spfl/sfa/celtic) bribing the lesser clubs with prize money to vote their way. With all that's gone on over the last 9 months, I think it's clear to all the 'cabal' will do almost anything and lie, to get their own way eg. where exactly is last years tv money that was due to be paid out in November? Were said lesser clubs aware of paying back tv monies?... no, this time is different. We all know what the cabal is about... I feel a long overdue change coming also.Lately, the 'cabal's' silence has been deafening, and when they do come out (like last week) they're making a desperate James-hunt of things.

portobellojambo1
1 minute ago, Deevers said:

It’s the voting system inside the present arrangement that allows all the nonsense to happen. Until that is sorted out nothing will change.

I'd agree with that Deevers, any changes needed must be done based on the present set up, but how do you keep all clubs happy. In theory it shouldn't be difficult, in practice I could imagine it being a bit more difficult.

8 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I'd agree with that Deevers, any changes needed must be done based on the present set up, but how do you keep all clubs happy. In theory it shouldn't be difficult, in practice I could imagine it being a bit more difficult.

The present system all but allows the Old Firm to veto anything that they don’t like.  That has to change.  I know that Aberdeen and ourselves  bottled it when a previous effort was made to sort things out was made. Fear of having to share home gates being the big sticking point.  We do, however need a system where the big two can’t bully the rest of the leagues.  We also need to ensure that who ever are appointed into the executive positions in both the SFA and professional and ethical individuals  -that’s certainly  not what we have just now.

Edited by Deevers
Typo

22 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I dont think we will. 

Do you have any proof that we are at the forefront of things going on behind the scenes or is it just guess work on your part. Don't get me wrong I would be delighted if this were the case. 

4 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

You’re never going to get a system of governance where the two biggest players in a sea of mostly small players don’t have a huge influence. I don’t mind them having influence but what we have at the moment is a stranglehold where one club has grown tentacles in every committee and every boardroom and nothing moves without them approving. No discussion, no innovation, no time for the greater good, just everything geared towards one club. If the other major clubs can’t see how that’s a really bad thing against their interests and vote it away then you really have to question, all non OF fans, what your own club is playing at.

10 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Yeah I get that... but through all their well documented rivalry, I feel the 'relationship' between the uglies is different now. While supporters will hate each other, I usually feel the boardrooms remain 'professionally' close. The general voting structure for years now, has been set up for OF purposes... so that OF can kill off anything that doesn't suit their wallets - together.

I feel, atm, rangers are as distant from Celtic than they've ever been. Any 'revolt' will probably have rangers front and centre (like during the summer)... and they probably have as good a guy at the helm to do this, as they ever have - by that I mean someone who would believes Scottish football isn't just about 2 clubs.

23 minutes ago, David Black said:

Do you have any proof that we are at the forefront of things going on behind the scenes or is it just guess work on your part. Don't get me wrong I would be delighted if this were the case. 

None that would be described as concrete.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Paolo said:

So when Maxwell said one club was publicly calling for a suspension, he was lying. 

Yeah, it was Robbos views not the club. ICT went public with their wish to play on. 

portobellojambo1
22 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yeah I get that... but through all their well documented rivalry, I feel the 'relationship' between the uglies is different now. While supporters will hate each other, I usually feel the boardrooms remain 'professionally' close. The general voting structure for years now, has been set up for OF purposes... so that OF can kill off anything that doesn't suit their wallets - together.

I feel, atm, rangers are as distant from Celtic than they've ever been. Any 'revolt' will probably have rangers front and centre (like during the summer)... and they probably have as good a guy at the helm to do this, as they ever have - by that I mean someone who would believes Scottish football isn't just about 2 clubs.

I think the OF boardrooms have always been reasonably close RD, it forms the basis of the term the Old Firm. They knew that for their own preservation, and the background of their being in place, they had to work for each other at times, but for no other reason than self preservation.

Edited by portobellojambo1

6 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I think the OF boardrooms have always been reasonably close RD, it forms the basis of the term the Old Firm. They knew that for their own preservation, and the background of their being in place, they had to work for each other at times, but for no other reason than self preservation.

I think historically you're correct but things changed somewhat when Rangers let their club die. The new Rangers have a huge chip on their shoulder about their demotion to league 2 and Celtic's role in it. To a neutral observer it's hilarious that Celtic seemed to have failed in their quest for their holy grail of 10 in a row so spectacularly,  despite their huge financial advantage over the past 10 years or so.

3 hours ago, Paolo said:

So when Maxwell said one club was publicly calling for a suspension, he was lying. 

Yep - it was Celtic privately calling for a suspension of the Championship! Haha

Craig Herbertson
On 16/01/2021 at 01:02, alwaysthereinspirit said:

We tried that last season and thought the Indians only had bow & arrows.

This time they’ve purchased Winchester repeaters.

We’re screwed again if this is a yes vote.

I hope last years judge who sent our court case back to the association is watching.

He’s the one that sent us back to the wolves.

Scottish football sucks.

Can't disagree. To batter the analogy to death they have given us blanks as well.

It's pretty clear that appealing to common sense, putting forward well thought-through business plans, being sympathetic and helpful, pointing out the hypocrisy, the double-dealing and the stupidity means nothing; so what next? I haven't a clue except to say that, more than ever, everything about this club should focus entirely and exclusively on getting to the top by any means possible.

I think the SFA/SPFL were feeling uncomfortable at having approved Celtic' disastrous Dubai adventure and wanted to change the narrative by getting ahead of the game in protecting the Premiership, which is their real interest.

In the event they've got this  wrong too by mixing up private thoughts with official positions.

But they won't be concerned with that. Being seen to do something is what politicos and officials like to do to justify their position, however f'ing irrelevant those actions may be.

Edited by stan

4 hours ago, Paolo said:

Unless it wasn't a Championship club...

3 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Totally agree, the member clubs are as much to blame for the state of the game as Dungcaster and his crew of incompetents 

Yep.

Fans groups need to be making their feelings known to their clubs too.

August Landmesser
3 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Without wanting to get ahead of myself - how many points do we need to win before we mathematically can’t be caught? 

If we beat Raith & Dunf twice, we'll need 64, as then the maximum Dunf could get is 62, Raith 63. So, another 37 but really it'll be fewer than that as other teams will drop points.

Ah well this has been a good distraction from Celtics major boob. All eyes on Robbo whilst the real culprits slink out the back door. 

Lawwell won't be happy wouldn't surprise me if Celtic now break protocol again to try get Sturgeon to pull the plug for a bit but then blame it on someone else - 10iar is gone only dirty tricks can stop Rangers winning it this season

portobellojambo1
11 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Lawwell won't be happy wouldn't surprise me if Celtic now break protocol again to try get Sturgeon to pull the plug for a bit but then blame it on someone else - 10iar is gone only dirty tricks can stop Rangers winning it this season

Correct, he will do everything he can to get the season declared null and void. The other clubs need the funds that they are getting via the trust set up by James Anderson and one of his friends (the condition being that to retain the money all games must be played to a conclusion this season) and now from the Scottish government (although the money is actually coming from Westminster). He needs the league(s) brought to a conclusion so Celtic can try for 10 in a row again from next season, he has tried the route of trying to persuade clubs, via Ian Maxwell, to consider suspending the league, as a precursor to then moving it to null and void, and it has failed. But how does he approach the Scottish government and try and sway them into speaking to the SFA/SPFL to get the game declared null and void up here. A good starting point may well be the fact that as republicans large number of Celtic fans support and vote for the SNP in their attempt to break up the union and if the government don't support Celtic's requirement to have the league declared null and void that support could disappear.

Anything in the papers about Maxwell this morning? 

If the Chief Exec of the Scottish Football Association has been found to be using mental illness to push through an agenda, or just plain lying about a club requesting the league be suspended, then that to me is a significant story. 

Neil Dongcaster
53 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

If we beat Raith & Dunf twice, we'll need 64, as then the maximum Dunf could get is 62, Raith 63. So, another 37 but really it'll be fewer than that as other teams will drop points.

Thank you.

I'm not sure this is 10iar. It's been discredited now to the point of no return. Any further tinkering just makes it even more tainted. 

Normally, it's money that talks and clubs self interest.. If there is any possibility of the SG pulling the plug on all levels, the SFA and the SPFL cannot take that risk. Hence, close down the Championship as a measure of appeasement. 

This also ends any relegation from the top flight. We haven't heard from Ross County, St Midden or Hamilton publically but they will be vocal.

Edited by Riccarton3

Not that I believe it but social media abound with Lennon gone tomorrow and Lawwell, Wednesday.

The first one yes, but not the second.

17 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Correct, he will do everything he can to get the season declared null and void. The other clubs need the funds that they are getting via the trust set up by James Anderson and one of his friends (the condition being that to retain the money all games must be played to a conclusion this season) and now from the Scottish government (although the money is actually coming from Westminster). He needs the league(s) brought to a conclusion so Celtic can try for 10 in a row again from next season, he has tried the route of trying to persuade clubs, via Ian Maxwell, to consider suspending the league, as a precursor to then moving it to null and void, and it has failed. But how does he approach the Scottish government and try and sway them into speaking to the SFA/SPFL to get the game declared null and void up here. A good starting point may well be the fact that as republicans large number of Celtic fans support and vote for the SNP in their attempt to break up the union and if the government don't support Celtic's requirement to have the league declared null and void that support could disappear.

Jeez, what a load of nonsense. Do you think the Scottish people don't contribute to the Westminster exchequer? 

Hundreds of Scots folk are dying every week so if football needs to be stopped there will be good reason for it and these reasons won't be to assuage Celtic or their fans. 

3 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

You're right that it's set up so that they can veto anything they don't fancy. This only works for them because the system was so biased in their favour to start with. They would struggle to get through anything now that is heavily weighted in their favour but they don't need to as it's already in place.

Hearts and Hibs could form a pact in the same way as the old firm and veto anything they decided wasn't in their favour but have next to no chance of getting anything through that is advantageous to them. The ship has sailed as far as fairness goes.

39 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Lawwell  Maxwell, Doncaster cannot aporoach the SG to get the football season null and void.

They could lobby, or get folk to lobby the SG that football is suspended for player and public health safety purposes and seek significantly more restrictive measures are put in place before it starts again.  By the time it does start it's up to the football governing bodies, with support of clubs determine if the current season can be seen out, league placings declared on whatever basis, or ultimately N&V.

On top of all that it wouldn't just impact football but all other professional sport

With all due respect much of the political stuff is fantasy, nonsense.

Edited by DETTY29

And he’s not praying!
18 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Not that I believe it but social media abound with Lennon gone tomorrow and Lawwell, Wednesday.

Eddie Howe announced on Thursday is the chat.

47 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I normally like your posts, but you’ve “ jumped the shark “ with this one.

23 minutes ago, graygo said:

You're right that it's set up so that they can veto anything they don't fancy. This only works for them because the system was so biased in their favour to start with. They would struggle to get through anything now that is heavily weighted in their favour but they don't need to as it's already in place.

Hearts and Hibs could form a pact in the same way as the old firm and veto anything they decided wasn't in their favour but have next to no chance of getting anything through that is advantageous to them. The ship has sailed as far as fairness goes.

Yes, but the point I was trying to make (probably not very well), was that now would be the best time for change as I believe rangers (on every level - even boardroom) detest the 'cabal' as much as the rest of us, and have a decent guy at the helm as CEO. Any restructuring would only pass IF it was level playing field... which is why we should have someone running the game with no prior allegancies.

You're absolutely correct with 'pacts', and hubs have learned recently that taking the shellick boaby, obviously doesn't get you anywhere... but (as with the SKY TV deal) the OF are nothing without us, the sheep, hubs, Motherwell etc. This is a point that gets continually glossed over, but it's exactly the same with the league. Chairmen need to grow a set, band together and demand change... if the OF don't want to play ion a league that's 'fair', what else have they got?

Change is long overdue, but now seems as good a time as any to stand up to them, and we can... the Championship has just demonstrated that.

43 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Lawwell  Maxwell, Doncaster cannot aporoach the SG to get the football season null and void.

They could lobby, or get folk to lobby the SG that football is suspended for player and public health safety purposes and seek significantly more restrictive measures are put in place before it starts again.  By the time it does start it's up to the football governing bodies, with support of clubs determine if the current season can be seen out, league placings declared on whatever basis, or ultimately N&V.

On top of all that it wouldn't just impact football but all other professional sport

With all due respect much of the political stuff is fantasy, nonsense.

Correct!.......On top of that the SG have already declared that football is helping people deal with mental health issues at this difficult time......Taking away football, rugby....etc takes away any distraction and basically leave people with nothing !

10 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Correct!.......On top of that the SG have already declared that football is helping people deal with mental health issues at this difficult time......Taking away football, rugby....etc takes away any distraction and basically leave people with nothing !

...and given out grants and loans!

30 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yes, but the point I was trying to make (probably not very well), was that now would be the best time for change as I believe rangers (on every level - even boardroom) detest the 'cabal' as much as the rest of us, and have a decent guy at the helm as CEO. Any restructuring would only pass IF it was level playing field... which is why we should have someone running the game with no prior allegancies.

You're absolutely correct with 'pacts', and hubs have learned recently that taking the shellick boaby, obviously doesn't get you anywhere... but (as with the SKY TV deal) the OF are nothing without us, the sheep, hubs, Motherwell etc. This is a point that gets continually glossed over, but it's exactly the same with the league. Chairmen need to grow a set, band together and demand change... if the OF don't want to play ion a league that's 'fair', what else have they got?

Change is long overdue, but now seems as good a time as any to stand up to them, and we can... the Championship has just demonstrated that.

I agree with all you say there, the answer to the bit in bold is free passage to the ECL.

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

I agree with all you say there, the answer to the bit in bold is free passage to the ECL.

👍

24 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

We all need to recognise 48 hours is a long time during this pandemic and anything can happen.

By Tuesday Sturgeon could announce in Holyrood ALL sport suspended and all the conspiracy theorists, Sturgeon hates us having any fun having a field day, only for Johnson to announce same in Westminster less than 24 hours later.  

stranraer-jambo
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Similar to what I heard last night, but no source was attributed to it. Probably just nonsense. I have copied what was sent to me below.

Been sent this.......
Ross Desmond is appointed to the board of directors with immediate effect. Peter Lawwell will step down from his position at the end of the season. Neil Lennon will take charge of his final game on Wednesday night, with his resignation tendered post match. John Kennedy will be moving to a Football Operations role and Gavin Strachan to a role within the U23 set up to the end of the season. Eddie Howe will be announced first thing on Thursday morning along with his own back room team giving him the best part week to access the squad prior to the next league game against Hamilton at home on Wednesday night.

5 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

Similar to what I heard last night, but no source was attributed to it. Probably just nonsense. I have copied what was sent to me below.

Been sent this.......
Ross Desmond is appointed to the board of directors with immediate effect. Peter Lawwell will step down from his position at the end of the season. Neil Lennon will take charge of his final game on Wednesday night, with his resignation tendered post match. John Kennedy will be moving to a Football Operations role and Gavin Strachan to a role within the U23 set up to the end of the season. Eddie Howe will be announced first thing on Thursday morning along with his own back room team giving him the best part week to access the squad prior to the next league game against Hamilton at home on Wednesday night.

U23s in Scotland?

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

Been sent this.......

Eddie Howe 🤣 Not saying he's a bad manager but there's a strong whiff of "only good at one club" about him and might drown in the OF nonsense after zero pressure at Bournmouth. Could very much be Ronnie Delia #2, or do a Rodgers and use it to relaunch his career in the EPL.

stranraer-jambo
1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

U23s in Scotland?

Yip, thought that too.

As I said, just posting what was sent to me. 

stranraer-jambo
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Eddie Howe 🤣 Not saying he's a bad manager but there's a strong whiff of "only good at one club" about him and might drown in the OF nonsense after zero pressure at Bournmouth. Could very much be Ronnie Delia #2, or do a Rodgers and use it to relaunch his career in the EPL.

Yip. A world of difference between Bournemouth and Glasgow in all respects. 

But it would be the high profile team to relaunch his career.

Finding it difficult to work out who is free/who would take the job at the moment.

2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Some of the Celtic conspiracy theories on here are right out the recreation room at the loony bin.

Interesting reading during lockdown though. 😄

2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I disagree with your last paragraph.

Celtic Hierarchy are in with most of the hierarchy of the Scottish Labour party. Neil Findlay, Jackie Baillie, Lord Read and Lord Haughey(who dont forget gave the SFA(Maxwell) £1.5M to aid in the purchase of Hampden Park as he didnt want the home of Scottish football to move from Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Celtic have very few if any friends in the hierarchy of the SNP. 

Celtic more than anything want Scottish Labour back in power at Holyrood asap.

2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

How is Lawwell going to persaude ND and the SPFL Board & clubs to vote for their own financial doomsday ? What do clubs gain by voting for N&V when it was made abundantly clear in the SPFL legal advice last year that the SPFL would have to repay TV money &  sponsors money. The clubs themselves would be open to claims for refunds on ST monies & repaying their own sponsors ? 

The SPFL QC said in court "promotion & relegation, it's what it's all about". 

How will the clubs gets around the legal & financial risks if they vote for N&V ? 

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )