SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Surely a case of this importance and magnitude would mean that this is being worked on throughout the weekend?

I dont believe they have all packed up and headed home at 4.30 on Friday and that's it till Monday.

Everyone involved will be well aware of the ramifications of this utter nonsense.

Its important to us, let us be honest 99% of Scotland don't give a ****

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Seymour M Hersh
12 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Considering we haven’t qualified for a major tournament since 1998 you would think if any country needed change then it is Scotland.

When Germany had one rotten Euros in 2000 and completely restructured their football. We've done **** all having not qualified for any tournament in 22 years. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Tommy Walker
1 hour ago, tambothejambo said:

Davie Provan in the sun

ENGLAND’S Premier League will complete its fixture list for the season on Sunday.

When our own SPFL were raising the white flag, Europe’s serious football countries took on Covid-19 and got the job done.

Why do some posters include entire quotes instead of editing ?

Yours in confusion 

TW

Edited by Tommy Walker

Seymour M Hersh
18 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It is not necessarily a mistake. If we lose the case and the summation is a 2-line press release from someone at Hampden then we will all be saying the same. The secrecy that surrounds decisions at the SFA (and SPFL) is what is killing the game. It is so last century. It must be ended.

Not if you're in China or North Korea or as it turns out Scottish Football. 

9 hours ago, Rooster20 said:

When are we allowed to start pre-season training? Seems that this has been overlooked but it is staggering to me that its nearly August and we haven't started while many clubs have.

Astonishes me too. Particularly as amateur matches have been played on the pitch within earshot of my house the last three days. 

43 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

There’ll be no chance in hell of that happening.

I’ll get me coat...

Yeah. You're fired!

Toxteth O'Grady

Martoon - The amateurs aren’t taking money from the Government for not playing though

Edited by Toxteth O'Grady

43 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

This is Scottish Football summed up in one sentence

Instead, a three-man Hampden arbitration panel is odds-on to side with the SPFL.

Except its a complete lack of understanding and research into what arbitration is and who is likely to be on the panel.

So many are mixing arbitration with mediation.

The thrust of his piece is good obvs, but like most who write and talk about our game, his lack of understanding and laziness shines through

46 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

There are two reasons why this has taken so long :

1 it’s a legal consideration and arbitration panel feel it can only be ratified in a court due to it being a test case and setting precedent. 
2 There is a challenge on the compensation amount and a fourth we independent review is required to attest the financial recourse being sought. 

The arbitration panel have the legal powers to hear and decide although it's worth pointing out (IMO) Lord C seemed to be very interested in a potential public interest angle but he was clear - it must go to arbitration because that's what the clubs are handcuffed to by the SPFL/SFA. 

Having said that , the one thing that really interests me is what the legal situation is surrounding the "vote now, change it later" policy of the SPFL which they also insist is perfectly legal. For me the panel will be covering this in what must be a landmark case - has there ever been a case of a company employing this ridiculous idea ? Anywhere ? Whatever the outcome of the arbitration process I hope get a clear legal ruling on this crazy notion in particular. 

Tennant's  6's
2 hours ago, steve123 said:

Not going to link it but Davie Provans article in the Sun is quite something today, not being paying much attention but never had him down as agreeing with us.

He's been on point through out this whole debacle. 

Ex players,  people who were actually involved in the game,  sem to have more empathy & call it out for what it is, compared to some of the 'media monkeys' , ie dickless gordkn & chick dung who seen to revel in it & just want to move on..

2 hours ago, steve123 said:

Not going to link it but Davie Provans article in the Sun is quite something today, not being paying much attention but never had him down as agreeing with us.

Shame it’s about 2 months too late. Whilst it’s good to read where has he been? 

Rogue Daddy
7 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

When Germany had one rotten Euros in 2000 and completely restructured their football. We've done **** all having not qualified for any tournament in 22 years. 

Same in France when they were dumped out of the World Cup (after winning it the comp previous). They have since then, went on to win it again (and the Euros). 
The SFA asked Craig Brown for his thoughts on the state of Scottish football a few years ago and he used France as an example (they changed their top league to involve more homegrown youngsters or something similar, that counteracted the Bosman ruling that was flooding French football with foreigners). 
Needless to say, completely fell on deaf SFA ears. 

13 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Martoon - The amateurs aren’t taking money from the Government for not playing though

Of course. 

I did overlook that, TO, but I was thinking more along the lines of Covid infection/social distancing etc. 

While Davie Provan's article has much to commend it, there is still a fundamental flaw at the heart of it. He blames the original vote result on the greed of the clubs who were only interested in getting their prize money. This ignores the actual root cause which was the confluence of two huge self interests, namely:

- Doncaster's need to start the new season to get the Money from the new Sky deal

- Celtic's need to get the league declared to preserve 9* IAR.

While some clubs voted this through out of self interest, I believe some did so because they genuinely believed (wrongly) that this was the only way that prize money could be released to  struggling clubs. 

He makes a number of good points but, given  his association with Celtic, I wouldn't expect DP to highlight Celtic's part in this. It's not unreasonable, however, to expect proper journalists to do so. Has any of them asked why Doncaster called "Peter" when he found out about the Dundee "no" vote? There are many other lines of investigation which have not been pursued, which I won't bother re-hashing but, the point is that until the cosy relationship between the football authorities, the ugly sisters and the compliant media is broken, football in this country will never progress.

As others have said, if not for my love of Hearts , I would be finished with football in this country.

The Real Maroonblood
13 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Are you sure about this ? 
I thought the opposite and we could go back to court 

I’m sure your right.

46 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Surely a case of this importance and magnitude would mean that this is being worked on throughout the weekend?

I dont believe they have all packed up and headed home at 4.30 on Friday and that's it till Monday.

Everyone involved will be well aware of the ramifications of this utter nonsense.

Agree got a feeling things still going on in background.

John Findlay
10 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m not sure his position is overpaid. He’s overpaid because he’s incompetent and needs sacking but the SPFL ceo is always going to be on a decent wedge.

As for him earning more than numerous Scottish clubs, given that half of this thread has been spent talking about how tinpot most of them are and half of them shouldn’t be professional, I don’t see the relevance of that 

Perharps a contributory factor to them being tinpot is that he doesnt do his job properly and bring in enough money to all leagues via TV revenue and sponsorship. The fact as CEO he presides over a very unfair distribution of the monies that are brought in at present.

Diadora Van Basten
12 minutes ago, AdamScores said:

Has any of them asked why Doncaster called "Peter" when he found out about the Dundee "no" vote? There are many other lines of investigation which have not been pursued, which I won't bother re-hashing but, the point is that until the cosy relationship between the football authorities, the ugly sisters and the compliant media is broken, football in this country will never progress.

I think there was a statement was on the championship chairman WhatsApp stating that Doncaster would contact Peter at 5pm.

Given that he held no position on the SPFL board at the time there is no reason that he should have been contacted in such a manner.

Just now, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think there was a statement was on the championship chairman WhatsApp stating that Doncaster would contact Peter at 5pm.

Given that he held no position on the SPFL board at the time there is no reason that he should have been contacted in such a manner.

It suggests subservience, that he is reporting to his 'boss'.

The very fact that other club chairmen have this view of Doncaster should make his position untenable. 

Someone needs to properly gun for his job in the wake if this. If we're successful it should make it easier. Especially if we can find an alternative candidate.  

AllyjamboDerbyshire
51 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Its important to us, let us be honest 99% of Scotland don't give a ****

Very true, but I suspect that will change should we win our case and be reinstated or handed £8m of the SPFL's money. They'll then have to come up with a way to show that the SPFL were right and the panel, presumably of three legal minds, were wrong.

Apart from my obvious desire to see Hearts retain their Premiership place, something I would very much enjoy, should we win, is the efforts by all - the media, opposition fans etc - to try to spin it that they, and the SPFL, are still right, that the law shouldn't be an issue where football is concerned, and that the worst team in the league, and therefor deserving to be relegated, is always the one at the bottom with 8 games still to play!

2 hours ago, tambothejambo said:

Davie Provan in the sun

ENGLAND’S Premier League will complete its fixture list for the season on Sunday.

When our own SPFL were raising the white flag, Europe’s serious football countries took on Covid-19 and got the job done.

Liverpool's players celebrate with the English Premier League trophy

Liverpool's players celebrate with the English Premier League trophy

It was one in the eye for cynics who said it couldn’t be done.

Let’s be honest, there were some among us desperate to see England’s top flight fall on its face.

It would have justified the SPFL’s decision to throw in the towel. The moral high ground was a sellout.

A sanctimonious queue formed accusing the big leagues of risking players’ lives in order to honour broadcasting deals.

Cowdenbeath chief Donald Findlay
Cowdenbeath chief Donald Findlay

Cowdenbeath chairman Donald Findlay reckoned it was immoral playing football at this time and put it down to money.

He should have been a detective. You can bet cash was the driver, but here’s the rub.

Despite the hundreds of games played throughout Europe recently, not one player has come to harm.

If our own clubs hadn’t been so desperate to get their grubby hands on prize money, the Scottish season could have been played out in a safe environment.

Yet here we are, just six days ahead of the 2020-21 kick off, and we still don’t know which clubs will make up the four divisions.

Is it any wonder outsiders ridicule our game?

And when clubs can’t be trusted to follow simple testing procedures, what chance do we have?

While German players were getting results back in hours, ours are waiting up to FIVE DAYS for results from an English lab.

St Mirren are in lockdown
St Mirren are in lockdown

The Covid outbreak at St Mirren will see clubs revert to testing players twice a week. They should have been doing that all along.

But, set against the tribunal currently deciding the fate of Hearts and Partick Thistle, Covid-19 testing is a side issue.

No apologies for revisiting the treatment of that pair. Even by SPFL standards, the relegation of the Jambos and Jags was criminal.

Equally disappointing was the refusal of the legal system to hear their case.

A proper court case would have seen SPFL Board members obliged to give evidence.

Who knows, Neil Doncaster might have had to cough up the content of THATconversation with John Nelms, which saw Dundee hit reverse gear.

Instead, a three-man Hampden arbitration panel is odds-on to side with the SPFL.

To avoid postponing the new season, Hearts and Thistle will be offered a few quid in compensation and told to run along.

Hearts owner Ann Budge
Hearts owner Ann Budge

And, if anything sums up the brutal treatment of two of our oldest clubs, it has been the reaction of the SFA.

Before a decision on their fate had been reached, the governing body charged both clubs for breaching SFA rules.

What a malicious, vindictive shower they are.

What was Ann Budge supposed to do? Take a multi-million pound hit with a smile on her face.

Was Firhill chair Jacqui Low expected to accept Thistle’s ludicrous relegation in the Corinthian spirit? Do me a favour.

Despite the obvious injustice in all of this, the SFA were still determined to put the boot in.

Comically, they can fine the clubs up to £500,000 for fighting their corner.

In the absence of SFA president Rod Petrie, shouldn’t we know who made the decision to go after both clubs?

Was it acting president, the over-promoted Mike Mulraney of mighty Alloa Athletic?

Or might it be Scarlet Pimpernel chief executive Ian Maxwell?

Problem is, we’ll never know. Hampden transparency is as rare as hens’ teeth.

In this young millennium isn’t it time they binned the old “a Hampden spokesman” nonsense and accepted accountability?

Instead of witch-hunting Hearts and Thistle they should be erecting a new Hall of Shame board on Hampden’s sixth floor.

It would include the names of the 26 teams who voted anonymously against a league reconstruction that would have helped their fellow clubs.

The treatment of Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers shouldn’t be forgotten either, reconstruction would have offered the pair a place in the SPFL while recognising the worth of the pyramid system.

But that would have meant clubs taking a small financial hit. Predictably, the rump of the SPFL pulled up the drawbridge instead.

For all the nauseating talk of The Football Family, it’s still every man for himself in Mount Florida.

Holy sh-t would not have chosen Proven in a line up of authors , but even his legal opinion is based on the screwed up Injustices so far .

John Findlay
52 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Shame it’s about 2 months too late. Whilst it’s good to read where has he been? 

This is his fourth article in the Sun on Sunday supporting ourselves, Partick Thistle, and Stranraer. Where have you been?

Just now, John Findlay said:

This is his fourth article in the Sun on Sunday supporting ourselves, Partick Thistle, and Stranraer. Where have you been?

Not reading the sun! 

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

This is the part that’s concerning me most too, the new season is meant to kick off next week, how the hell can it kick off when this arbitration is still ongoing? Surely it has to be suspended until the findings and rulings are clear, I genuinely don’t see how the new season can start next weekend unless something happens this week (which it most likely will). 

Tennant's  6's
4 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Fecking brutal. We and Patrick are victims of a criminal cartel.

115750309_3143694485712310_5593423829962340476_n.jpg

That is f'n brutal, when you see it layed out like that.

Bet it doesn't even resonate with the idiots who voted the way that they did.   

12 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

The SPFL don't understand embarrassment so absolutely no chance they will feel it.

Edited by wavydavy

jambo-in-furness
8 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

That is f'n brutal, when you see it layed out like that.

Bet it doesn't even resonate with the idiots who voted the way that they did.   

That’s the reason they voted the way they did.

it was their get out of jail card

Edited by jambo-in-furness

colinmaroon
27 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

You have to be kidding "embarrassed "?

Not a bit! 

They are guilty as hell of screwing this up through corrupt practice.

And as a footnote,  amazing how all these usually down on Hearts in the MSM are calling it out yet BBC Scotland dribbles on with it's clinically senile performers week after week, almost choking on their Horlicks at any suggestion that the situation is ALL the fault of Doncaster and those pulling his strings. 

Edited by colinmaroon

gorgie rd eh11
56 minutes ago, AdamScores said:

While Davie Provan's article has much to commend it, there is still a fundamental flaw at the heart of it. He blames the original vote result on the greed of the clubs who were only interested in getting their prize money. This ignores the actual root cause which was the confluence of two huge self interests, namely:

- Doncaster's need to start the new season to get the Money from the new Sky deal

While some clubs voted this through out of self interest, I believe some did so because they genuinely believed (wrongly) that this was the only way that prize money could be released to  struggling clubs. 

He makes a number of good points but, given  his association with Celtic, I wouldn't expect DP to highlight Celtic's part in this. It's not unreasonable, however, to expect proper journalists to do so. Has any of them asked why Doncaster called "Peter" when he found out about the Dundee "no" vote? There are many other lines of investigation which have not been pursued, which I won't bother re-hashing but, the point is that until the cosy relationship between the football authorities, the ugly sisters and the compliant media is broken, football in this country will never progress.

As others have said, if not for my love of Hearts , I would be finished with football in this country.

The "called Peter" bit is a story in itself. The fact the majority of clubs and media aren't questioning that shows the clubs up as Celtic **** kissers and the media as a useless waste of time.

I wonder when the panel verdict will be announced!

Could Monday’s news headlines be;

‘Hearts to play in the Premier’

&

‘Doncaster Resigns’

Lord Beni of Gorgie
50 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Good point, well made.

One of the best posts ever,  so understated but yet succinct 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
26 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Very true, but I suspect that will change should we win our case and be reinstated or handed £8m of the SPFL's money. They'll then have to come up with a way to show that the SPFL were right and the panel, presumably of three legal minds, were wrong.

Apart from my obvious desire to see Hearts retain their Premiership place, something I would very much enjoy, should we win, is the efforts by all - the media, opposition fans etc - to try to spin it that they, and the SPFL, are still right, that the law shouldn't be an issue where football is concerned, and that the worst team in the league, and therefor deserving to be relegated, is always the one at the bottom with 8 games still to play!

It will be yesterday's chip wrappers very quickly,  with Celtic Rangers 10iar pish taking over. 

This country is incapable of changing 

25 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Totally irrelevant. Tony Fitzy Fitzpatrick said he couldn't see us turning it around, so to me, that holds way more water.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I wonder when the panel verdict will be announced!

Could Monday’s news headlines be;

‘Hearts to play in the Premier’

&

‘Doncaster Resigns’

not a chance they would have those headlines

more like

"selfish hearts throw new season into chaos"

1 hour ago, AdamScores said:

You didn't mention that the proposal put to the clubs was created by the SPFL rather than the clubs and the SPFL's reluctance to admit that they could have advanced money to the clubs as an interim measure to allow the season to be played out in full.

34 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Well they were all busy giving Ann Budge an hard time for reacting quickly and asking players to take wage cuts whilst all the other clubs were supposedly hanging in there wanting their prize money advanced. Then lo and behold Hearts get hammered by the rest...

David Black

If Hearts and Partick win this ( and i remain quietly confident) then it will be the biggest event in Scottish football for decades. It will be the time for the Minister of Sport to step in and disband the SFA and SPFL boards, put in place a temporary board consisting of no one attached to a club . Some may laugh but I'll give you Craig Levein as one who should be appointed, Craig Brown, even approach Alex.Ferguson. People who know football, are all intelligent, articulate men and who the public could trust to be unbiased. Something has got to change and it is up to Joe Fitzpatrick to step up and instigate that change. 

36 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Totally irrelevant. Tony Fitzy Fitzpatrick said he couldn't see us turning it around, so to me, that holds way more water.

Yeah, I dropped my support for our action after hearing the Chairman of a club who turned it around with less games to go, last season, insist we couldn't have done the same. 

I mean, how can you argue with such compelling logic?

The sad truth is that this IS the level of logic, cognitive dissonance and self-serving, insular me me me attitude that has ****ed the game here and, tbh, the entire country at times. Could be a great league, should  be a great country - but not until we rid ourselves of those with that mentality. 

7 minutes ago, David Black said:

If Hearts and Partick win this ( and i remain quietly confident) then it will be the biggest event in Scottish football for decades. It will be the time for the Minister of Sport to step in and disband the SFA and SPFL boards, put in place a temporary board consisting of no one attached to a club . Some may laugh but I'll give you Craig Levein as one who should be appointed, Craig Brown, even approach Alex.Ferguson. People who know football, are all intelligent, articulate men and who the public could trust to be unbiased. Something has got to change and it is up to Joe Fitzpatrick to step up and instigate that change. 

Craig Levein.

In charge ?

Dunno if you missed it all but we just got our asses whipped to quote the Alien movie.

33 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

...yet BBC Scotland dribbles on with it's clinically senile performers week after week, almost choking on their Horlicks at any suggestion that the situation is ALL the fault of Doncaster and those pulling his strings. 

BBC's Football Gossip had 9 tidbits today:  5 Celtic related and 4 Sevco.

The OF may make up the bulk of their audience but it should not mean to the detriment of other clubs.

David Black
Just now, jake said:

Craig Levein.

In charge ?

Dunno if you missed it all but we just got our asses whipped to quote the Alien movie.

Sorry, but Craig Levein has a lot to offer in this respect. You are talking about football coaching , I am referring to football administration and sorting out this mess. Totally different.

Independence
55 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

If Provan is on our side things must be bad.

It is difficult to understand how anyone could not be on our side.

Just now, David Black said:

Sorry, but Craig Levein has a lot to offer in this respect. You are talking about football coaching , I am referring to football administration and sorting out this mess. Totally different.

If it wasnt for him we wouldn't be at the heart of this mess.

Putting Levein forward to save anything about football is for me nonsense.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Perharps a contributory factor to them being tinpot is that he doesnt do his job properly and bring in enough money to all leagues via TV revenue and sponsorship. The fact as CEO he presides over a very unfair distribution of the monies that are brought in at present.

A game between Brechin and Annan this season got a crowd of 258. That’s 258. No matter how anyone tries to spin this, that is amateur football and should be categorised as such. And much as the SFA has a duty to spread money through the pyramid, the SPFL should not be trying to accommodate Old Firm derbies that pull in 60k and games that pull in 258. They need to break up the organisational structure and accept that the SPFL as it stands is bloated and not fit for purposes. I’d honestly support a scenario where the Premier League is governed separately to the rest of the SPFL because the product at the top is where the game can improve drastically 

Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPFL said: “As a members’ organisation, it is vital that the Board listen to the voice of our member clubs.”

:rofl:You go Neil :thumbs_up:  Read it from the Peterhead statement.

Several SPFL Clubs requested that the SPFL Board bring forward a resolution, which would give the Board the express power to manage Covid-19 related disruption during Season 2020/21, without the need to seek Rule amendments approved by Clubs.  Accordingly, a written resolution was circulated to all Clubs, but this did not attract sufficient support to pass.  Following a discussion at this morning’s SPFL Board meeting, the Board have agreed to move forward in line with the clear will of the Clubs.  As a result, the existing Rules will remain in place for Season 2020/21, unless any member decides that it wishes to bring forward their own resolution in this area.

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

A game between Brechin and Annan this season got a crowd of 258. That’s 258. No matter how anyone tries to spin this, that is amateur football and should be categorised as such. And much as the SFA has a duty to spread money through the pyramid, the SPFL should not be trying to accommodate Old Firm derbies that pull in 60k and games that pull in 258. They need to break up the organisational structure and accept that the SPFL as it stands is bloated and not fit for purposes. I’d honestly support a scenario where the Premier League is governed separately to the rest of the SPFL because the product at the top is where the game can improve drastically 

We've had that.

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )