Scottish Football officially suspended

Alva-Jambo

Nicholas Brody

Some decent ideas on here about finishing the season. Can almost guarantee that the powers that be will do the complete opposite.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• IveSeenTheLight

• ...a bit disco

• Mikey1874

Blackshades
13 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

You could play the final games at the beginning of next season and either drop the league cup, or play next season as 33 games without the split.

CL / EL entries (if they go ahead next season), would have to be based on positions when the league was stopped.

Unworkable you would have out of contract players playing, or totally different squads and the relegated team might have players with get out  clauses.plus new fixtures to organise in a few days

3 minutes ago, Blackshades said:

Unworkable you would have out of contract players playing, or totally different squads and the relegated team might have players with get out  clauses.plus new fixtures to organise in a few days

FIFA/ UEFA could provide exceptional cover to deal with these issues including amending the transfer window. Clubs can deal with contracts.

Every issue has a solution. 

IveSeenTheLight
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I agree about the season ending on 33 games, some of which may be behind closed doors, however I cannot see the final being played until the start of next season. 

The final is crucial for determining Europa league spots for next year.

If either of you, Hibs or even ourselves win the final and are out of the top three, we’d be entitled to a spot in Europe.

It means that the game needs to be played, even if outdoors, or do they just award the top 4 league places?

Just now, Nicholas Brody said:

Some decent ideas on here about finishing the season. Can almost guarantee that the powers that be will do the complete opposite.

Trying to play two semis on the same day, at the same place, tells me you’re right !

If anyone can make an arse of it, they will !

John Gentleman
5 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

If either of you, Hibs or even ourselves win the final and are out of the top three, we’d be entitled to a spot in Europe.

It means that the game needs to be played, even if outdoors, or do they just award the top 4 league places?

Against the backdrop of Coronavirus nothing is "crucial". It's only a football competition.

2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I agree about the season ending on 33 games, some of which may be behind closed doors, however I cannot see the final being played until the start of next season. 

I’ll be very surprised if the semi happens before late summer. Five weeks today until it’s due and unless the spread doesn’t really materialise then it’s hard to see large public gatherings still happening then. 

IveSeenTheLight
3 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Against the backdrop of Coronavirus nothing is "crucial". It's only a football competition.

True.

The point being though that if the game is not played, then an alternative solution will need sought, probably meaning 4th place is awarded a European place.

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I’m pretty sure I read that the final is a couple of weeks before the last league games this season, can’t remember the reason why.

I couldn’t give a toss about qualifying for Europe anyway.

10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’ll be very surprised if the semi happens before late summer. Five weeks today until it’s due and unless the spread doesn’t really materialise then it’s hard to see large public gatherings still happening then. 

And postponing is better than closed doors.

Finances and avoiding people filling pubs. 

16 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Aye let's just cancel everything and hide in our houses forever.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Anything is possible. Finish league later in year. Start new league season in October or whenever. Pack in more midweek games. Could play 3 games a week. Could shorten next season. 

Qatar World Cup provides an opportunity. Summer football maybe too. 

They may well move or delay but no way they could relegate us or Hamilton after x amount of games without a legal challenge 

IveSeenTheLight
11 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Ah European football! Where you start pre-qualifying in early Summer against some Z list bunch and than get horsed by them.

Pardon me for not giving a s*** about it. ( Not that it’s remotely relevant in this season’s HMFC context.)

European football as opposed to the league cup group stages.

I know which one I prefer

1 hour ago, HMFC86 said:

They can’t just end the league after x number of games and enforce relegation/promotion unless the rules say they can, without a legal challenge which would be won. 

The courts are extremely reluctant to get involved in sporting bodies’ decisions. The league can do what it likes regarding positions, promotion etc; there’s no basis for assuming that a legal challenge would even be heard 

22 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

European football as opposed to the league cup group stages.

I know which one I prefer

League Cup group stages because Aberdeen shite it in the Europa League qualifiers?

wheatfield to sheffield

It's already affected the crowd for one game. Today was going to be my first match of the season, but I am self-quarantined in London for a fortnight

29 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

The courts are extremely reluctant to get involved in sporting bodies’ decisions. The league can do what it likes regarding positions, promotion etc; there’s no basis for assuming that a legal challenge would even be heard 

So you think a club with 5 games to play seperated by 3 points would just accept it relegation? The league can only do what the member clubs allow it to do. 

As soon as finances are impacted there is a case be it sporting arbitration or otherwise. There’s zero chance there wouldn’t be a challenge. You can’t just decide to stop a league early without everyone agreeing. 

Class of 75
4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nothing exciting tbh. 

I get about tho. 

Not so much this week. Hull/ Doncaster and Dublin again. 

No worries, much more exiting than Land's End to Fife and back. 

Calebs Grandad

Hopefully in Lochend they have the sense to wash their hands and wipe the spoon and syringe before passing them onto the next person. 

IveSeenTheLight
45 minutes ago, kila said:

League Cup group stages because Aberdeen shite it in the Europa League qualifiers?

There speaks a person with no clue about football 😆

IveSeenTheLight
36 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

So you think a club with 5 games to play seperated by 3 points would just accept it relegation? The league can only do what the member clubs allow it to do. 

As soon as finances are impacted there is a case be it sporting arbitration or otherwise. There’s zero chance there wouldn’t be a challenge. You can’t just decide to stop a league early without everyone agreeing. 

This would probably fall under force majeure

Edited by IveSeenTheLight

ScandinavianJambo

I am sure the club is preparing, as all larger companies, schools and Universities do. If  the beautiful game starts being played behind closed doors, they could stream it for profit I am sure. It is a sad state of affairs, and will definitely have an impact on games won, as the 12th "man" isn't there. However, if players start getting ill on mass the league would have to suspend.  Strange and unsettling times.

Geoff Kilpatrick

If a team.gets this in Scotland it is bound to be the vermin as they akways like to claim a first! :ninja:

Enzo Chiefo
5 hours ago, kila said:

Scotland’s infection rate will increase exponentially over the coming weeks

The rate of daily increase has halved today. There is no evidence of community transmission,  unlike the flu virus  , and nearly all of those diagnosed have come from visiting affected countries. Still very much containing this.

4 hours ago, robbo1874 said:

Over reaction or not I'm not taking my dad to the game today. Was going to take him to cheap hospitality. He's had part of each lung removed due to asbestos and smoking and has serious breathing issues.. I'm on a targeted chemo,not a broad chemo but still chemo.

I've wrestled with myself over this because I really don't want to change my lifestyle but I'm left feeling I can't take the risk.

I genuinely don't know what's the right course of action but I'm not willing to flip that coin right now

Totally get you on this.....   I miss the football in the summer, but the thought of not being comfortable choosing to go to a game is something new.  Hope your dad keeps well.

54 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Hopefully in Lochend they have the sense to wash their hands and wipe the spoon and syringe before passing them onto the next person. 

Gallows humour..... but quite funny  :)

I can see it hitting the sports pubs/restaurants.  as folk will get an offie at one of their homes, instead of the night oot.    Its the poor staff on these cruise liners that are satuated with the virus...   Its not the pub/restaurant servers and owners fault, but i dont fancy food i dont prepare myself.......

Saying that will risk a cheeky bag of chips on the way back from the match in Fountainbridge in half an hour...  :) 

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The rate of daily increase has halved today. There is no evidence of community transmission,  unlike the flu virus  , and nearly all of those diagnosed have come from visiting affected countries. Still very much containing this.

Second case in the Lothians today. Expect to see 5 in the next couple days, then 15 etc.

Enzo Chiefo
21 minutes ago, kila said:

Second case in the Lothians today. Expect to see 5 in the next couple days, then 15 etc.

Of course, you can expect that. But, clearly, there is no community transition at this stage. How many flu victims, the aggressive Aussie variety we heard about back in Nov/Dec that is, are there in the Lorhians??. Had the Corona been particularly contagious then there would have been a big outbreak in Tenerife,  for example.  As people return from affected areas abroad there will be the odd case here and there with maybe 1 or 2 family members too. 

The point has been reached where most folk are fed up hearing about it and , for example, if the BBC pursue their daily updates and news domination next week, people will simply switch off. We all know how to combat it, it's not spreading through the community at this stage and by the end of the season it will be yesterday's news.

Don't know about you but I have heard all these predictions many times before with Ebola, Swine Flu, SARS and the like. 

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Of course, you can expect that. But, clearly, there is no community transition at this stage. How many flu victims, the aggressive Aussie variety we heard about back in Nov/Dec that is, are there in the Lorhians??. Had the Corona been particularly contagious then there would have been a big outbreak in Tenerife,  for example.  As people return from affected areas abroad there will be the odd case here and there with maybe 1 or 2 family members too. 

The point has been reached where most folk are fed up hearing about it and , for example, if the BBC pursue their daily updates and news domination next week, people will simply switch off. We all know how to combat it, it's not spreading through the community at this stage and by the end of the season it will be yesterday's news.

Don't know about you but I have heard all these predictions many times before with Ebola, Swine Flu, SARS and the like. 

Symptoms take weeks to show though. So all we know is it wasn't spreading through communities a couple of weeks ago...

Enzo Chiefo
6 minutes ago, kila said:

Symptoms take weeks to show though. So all we know is it wasn't spreading through communities a couple of weeks ago...

2 days to 7 days after infection Kila. The cases also include anyone who has recovered from the virus rather than reflecting the active case. Nicola Sturgeon warned more or less every day this week about a "rapid rise" in cases. That simply has not happened and we have heard less from the politicians over the last couple of days, both here and at a UK level. The 80% figure was mentioned at the start because that is the absolute maximum infection rate any virus can sustain before it burns itself out. In retrospect, those in power, should have added a bit of realism to  their predictions. After 3 months with 100k cases worldwide nobody with an ounce of common sense was going to believe that an island nation like ours would suffer 45million casualties. 

Guest ToqueJambo
17 hours ago, 77Mackay77 said:

There neither unhelpful or dangerous.

And if you have the flu you could kill someone you come into contact with. Person to person is how the flu spreads.  You clearly don’t know what you are talking point. 

Yes I do know that but there is a vaccine for flu - most people should get the vaccine, if not, well it's on you - so the chances of that happening are very, very small. Trying to play down the threat of coronavirus when all people have to do is some simple personal hygiene things just now to help control the spread is unhelpful and dangerous. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The experts seem to think there is next to no chance of this.  A Scotland women’s rugby player has it and their game was postponed today.  Only a matter of time until a footballer gets it and then the whole club will be in quarantine.

Guest ToqueJambo
17 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

There is no cure for flu and you are more at risk from it if you are old (as I am) or have one or more of the medical conditions you list. I get the fact this  thing  is new and it's effects unknown and of course agree with sensible precautions. But also recognise the risk of over-reaction that will do more harm.than good.

There is a vaccine for the flu.

Guest ToqueJambo
17 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I understand it is serious but there is no logic to the  plans being discussed

Seems to me much of it is just about people feeling they have to be seen to be doing something.

Take all the precautions but it's either all or nothing and its pointless to stop some things when you are doing the same just in a different manner

Would it be best not to play at Hampden for example and play at Murrayfield instead to save thousands travelling ?

I plan to go on holiday shortly and really don't see why not as there is a risk at home or abroad..of course common sense applies and I won't be going to Italy for example nor any other 'hot spot' but there will be a risk.

This is not the end I'm sure and there will no doubt be changes to come in terms of advice, bans etc however there needs to be a logical (and not just a piecemeal) approach

At this moment we are trying to contain and slow down the spread but is that the right approach or is it just delaying the inevitable ?

And how do you think "hot spots" become hot spots?

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

The experts seem to think there is next to no chance of this.  A Scotland women’s rugby player has it and their game was postponed today.  Only a matter of time until a footballer gets it and then the whole club will be in quarantine.

Yes, I agree but that is a precaution.  The rugby team had been in Italy. You're right though , if one player at one club gets it then the remaining fixtures could be in doubt. However, clubs whose players have not travelled abroad are extremely unlikely to get it. The " containment " comments come from the Chief Med Off .

Guest ToqueJambo
18 hours ago, weehammy said:

So far we have 11 cases and no deaths in Scotland out of a population of 5 million. So while your concluding comments are very sensible they don’t explain why people are panic buying toilet roll, eggs, pasta, etc.

The press and other media have a lot to answer for.

You have a choice. Get your info from red tops or from reputable sources. In Britain a sad number of people believe what they read in the red tops. That's why we've got Brexit for example.

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Coronavirus is the only thing that's going to keep us in premiership on this evidence!

Not if relegation is based on the team being at the bottom when games are suspended.  The SPFL has already said the season will not be null and void and indicated that Celtic would be given the title so it wouldn’t be a surprise if they applied the same logic to relegation and the play offs.

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

And how do you think "hot spots" become hot spots?

In China it is because of their food hygiene standards, i would suggest. In Italy, they never identified Patient Zero and in common with their amorous greeting customs and other traditions like sharing the chalice , for example, I would suggest, that this has contributed to their figures. I don't know but that is my opinion on it.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

In China it is because of their food hygiene standards, i would suggest. In Italy, they never identified Patient Zero and in common with their amorous greeting customs and other traditions like sharing the chalice , for example, I would suggest, that this has contributed to their figures. I don't know but that is my opinion on it.

Exactly no-one knows, but once it wasn't;t contained it spread fast. So good hygiene and the other precautions is really not worth arguing about.

Walter Bishop
3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not if relegation is based on the team being at the bottom when games are suspended.  The SPFL has already said the season will not be null and void and indicated that Celtic would be given the title so it wouldn’t be a surprise if they applied the same logic to relegation and the play offs.

I would think legally the SPFL would not have a leg to stand on if this were to be the case. 

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Exactly no-one knows, but once it wasn't;t contained it spread fast. So good hygiene and the other precautions is really not worth arguing about.

Totally agree Toque. They also reckon that if more of the population are handwashing more often etc then there will be a huge reduction in colds, stomach bugs etc. Maybe that is also why the message is being reinforced. I'm sure everyone hopes it is not bad as originally predicted. 

Guest ToqueJambo

They can't end the season at an arbitrary point and relegate a team that hasn't played the same number of games as the other teams or who has played more games vs the OF than a rival for example. Just like if Celtic was one point ahead of Rangers in the title race and there was an OF game to come there's no way they could end the season there. Closed door games would be more likely.

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

They can't end the season at an arbitrary point and relegate a team that hasn't played the same number of games as the other teams or who has played more games vs the OF than a rival for example. Just like if Celtic was one point ahead of Rangers in the title race and there was an OF game to come there's no way they could end the season there. Closed door games would be more likely.

They can’t play closed door games involving any infected teams though.

Guest ToqueJambo

They can’t play closed door games involving any infected teams though.

Null and voiding the season must be the only option, no matter how much pressure Celtic put on them for their 10 in a row. Maybe they'll hope it'll only happen when it's mathematically impossible for anyone to beat Celtic in the league so they can award the title to them. But if it's still possible for us to stay up, I don't see how they could get away with that. Teams have not been relegated or promoted for less compelling reasons in the past.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Null and voiding the season must be the only option, no matter how much pressure Celtic put on them for their 10 in a row. Maybe they'll hope it'll only happen when it's mathematically impossible for anyone to beat Celtic in the league so they can award the title to them. But if it's still possible for us to stay up, I don't see how they could get away with that. Teams have not been relegated or promoted for less compelling reasons in the past.

Would be interesting to see what rules, if any, cover this or will the SPFL be making it up as they go along.  Despite what some of the more paranoid posters think, they won’t want Hearts to go down.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Would be interesting to see what rules, if any, cover this or will the SPFL be making it up as they go along.  Despite what some of the more paranoid posters think, they won’t want Hearts to go down.

Think we know that answer to that one 🤣 They'll just ask Celtic what the best thing to do is.

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Think we know that answer to that one 🤣 They'll just ask Celtic what the best thing to do is.

just out of interest, are you arguing that Liverpool should lose the English title too, if the season Is suspended? I mean that as a serious question, not as a wind-up

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

just out of interest, are you arguing that Liverpool should lose the English title too, if the season Is suspended? I mean that as a serious question, not as a wind-up

Yeah. I don't see how you can award titles when another team has a chance of winning. It's no different to when matches are abandoned. A team could be 10-0 up but they still won't get the win.

If it gets to the stage when it's mathematically impossible for them to be caught, maybe...

Or maybe if they can't play closed doors they could make all remaining games a 0-0 draw and see how that pans out.

Edited by ToqueJambo