They Can't Relegate Us (Legally)

JJ93

Italian Lambretta
1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

The Hamilton chairman having a place on the SPFL board is a shambles. 

He's probably got a bet on Hearts getting relegated

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

3 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Not sure how many times people need to reply and say that they would still not agree with this if it was another club in last place, before you believe it.

And you would be the same had it been us in the championship season?  Let’s all not take the moral high ground, it’s about self interest.  If St Mirren sat bottom everyone would be laughing their arses off calling Karma etc.

Unknown user
15 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

And you would be the same had it been us in the championship season?  Let’s all not take the moral high ground, it’s about self interest.  If St Mirren sat bottom everyone would be laughing their arses off calling Karma etc.

What are you doing if not taking the moral high ground and making damn sure everyone knows it?

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Heard on radio earlier a British Broadcasting Celtic reporter saying bbc understands null and voiding the season is not an option 

aye it is ya fraudsters and very much an option

Tbh, it is the only option.

57 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What are you doing if not taking the moral high ground and making damn sure everyone knows it?

Fk knows because I’m the same.  I’m not going to sit and pretend I could care about any other clubs and would support this or that team in this position.  I couldn’t care less we stay up and continue to thrive more so on the pitch.

2 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

I highly doubt we could stop a new season starting. Quite the opposite in fact. I'd imagine we'd be charged by the SFA/SPFL for refusing to fulfil championship fixtures and fined accordingly with our opponents awarded a 3-0 win.

I don't think it will matter anyway as I think this season will be played to a finish and then either a shorter season in 20/21 or summer football for two seasons. The 2021 euros doesn't make that easy but we probably won't qualify anyway. The world cup in winter 2022 makes it easier.

If this season finishes say by September / October and we still go down, we'll get a nice parachute payment to fund the January transfer window for a shortened season in the championship! That's of course if there are enough clubs left to make up the leagues.........

Season finishes by September? 😂😂😂

You even given the unworkableness of that a single thought ? 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Not sure what the alternative is though. Someone like Doncaster with no club affiliation and lets face it not much idea about Scottish Football (he's a sales and marketing man and not a very good one either) or people with plenty knowledge but a club affiliation driving or influencing almost everything they do. Personally I think it ought to be possible to gather a group of 5 or 6 non affiliated individuals who are forward thinking and experienced in the field, and pay them well to run the game without fear or favour and with a bit of innovation. Having the board members of Brechin and Rangers etc etc. Well.......feck all meaningful is going to get done is it ???

He's a solicitor

Geoff Kilpatrick
19 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

He's a solicitor

Lionel Hutz in real life form.

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Do you recognise the word after September? In case not, October is the month next to November so to get 8 games finished by then isn’t that unfeasible. 

Crack on with the smilies though. 

Will clubs survive that long?

Do you recognise the word after September? In case not, October is the month next to November so to get 8 games finished by then isn’t that unfeasible. 

Crack on with the smilies though. 

You could have just said no. Utter nonsense to think it’s ok you can finish this season into next season. 

doctor jambo
2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Tbh, it is the only option.

I don’t see the problem with it.

Sure if it was Hearts, Hibs or someone else at the top, but it’s only another title for Celtic - number 50 or something . Couldn’t give 2 shiny shits if they get it or not.  Void the league, bring 2 up. Happy days. 

I think the pathway is to get Celtic to suspend being a corporate psychopath.    They don't need to celebrate a title they didn't win.     Simple as that.

5 hours ago, Jambo66 said:

Legal action would also involve an Interdict forbidding the SPFL from starting a new season until the action competes. Otherwise, winning the action would either be pointless or result in the new season having to be unraveled.

Ok, thanks for that info. I hadn't realised that was possible.👍

jamboinglasgow

UEFA's plan to complete domestic competitions by 30th June is mental, plus the international play offs. It is just unrealistic and UEFA kicking the can down the road rather making the big decision now. 

Saw an example of if you needed to get Man city's remaining matches played adding in the champions league (with 1 legged quarter final and semi) and playing 2 games a week, then City would have to start playing on April 15th. 

5 hours ago, Jambo66 said:

Legal action would also involve an Interdict forbidding the SPFL from starting a new season until the action competes. Otherwise, winning the action would either be pointless or result in the new season having to be unravelled.

under Fifa rule 59 a club cant take it parent body to court... only go to CAS... and only after all other options are exhausted...  2. Recourse to ordinary courts of law is prohibited unless specifically provided for in the FIFA regulations. Recourse to ordinary courts of law for all types of provisional measures is also prohibited

Why is it nonsense? This season’s Scottish cup will definitely finish next season. 

You’re adding nothing and being a bit of a dick to be honest. 

With next seasons teams, not the same

Void the lot.

6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Well it was replying to your last sentence. 😁

Tongue in cheek.😄

Yes I understood that , and answered in the same vein .

Think I'm too subtle for this place !

Getting this season finished might not be the problem, getting a close season, preseason,full season all done before June next year for the Euros could be a completely impossible task, especially if we cant get this season completed until October/November 

24 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I think voiding the season is the least preferable option to the SPFL/SFA. Reading between the lines they now want to finish this season if possible when possible. 

I think they were considering making current positions final and communicated this privately to clubs which prompted Ann’s statement and the one from the huns on the same day. It was a bit of a coincidence if not. 

We all want the season finished with all the games played, that may not be viable though.

Even if we can start again in April/May im sure there will be postponments due to some teams still 'isolating'. Early rounds of Europe start late June/early July. There needs to be a break between end of season and start of new season as players need to move on, come in.

We may have a semi final and Final(hopefully) to fit in so thats another 2 dates unavailable. Players contracts up at end of May, not just as easy to sign on for another month, especially if you are planning on leaving for another club. 

Too many ifs and buts for my liking.

Void the lot now and everyone knows where they stand and know how they will move forward with time to plan. 

8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Not sure if CAS issue interdicts. CAS is the legal authority we'd be obliged to go to. If we went to the Edinburgh court of session to get an interdict we'd be in trouble for not using CAS.

Actually, that is a lot of nonsense I'm afraid.   CAS, as you say doesn't do interdicts. As a result, we could go straight to the Court of Session for an interim interdict pending the decision of CAS

Edited by Jambo66

Even with a world wide pandemic Scottish football and wider society would have been simpler and better if Celtic and Rangers had never existed.

Unknown user
15 hours ago, Jambo66 said:

Legal action would also involve an Interdict forbidding the SPFL from starting a new season until the action competes. Otherwise, winning the action would either be pointless or result in the new season having to be unraveled.

Would it? Genuine question. The Sheffield united situation springs to mind, they got relegated and it came out that west ham had hidden the shared ownership of Mascherano and Tevez' contracts, which was against league rules.

United sued but the league carried on and they ended up with a payout of 20m instead.

10 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Why is it nonsense? This season’s Scottish cup will definitely finish next season. 

You’re adding nothing and being a bit of a dick to be honest. 

Why is it a nonsense ? Players are out of contract in may/June. Many clubs won’t survive past June without end of season payments. Transfer window will be open, clubs with money in vulnerable league positions will potentially be in a position to add players. As I said anyone who thinks all of the above won’t make it an utter nonsense to play this season into next hasn’t given it a single thought. You’re only bringing out the abuse because you’re looking a bit naive and foolish. 

David McCaig
53 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Why is it a nonsense ? Players are out of contract in may/June. Many clubs won’t survive past June without end of season payments. Transfer window will be open, clubs with money in vulnerable league positions will potentially be in a position to add players. As I said anyone who thinks all of the above won’t make it an utter nonsense to play this season into next hasn’t given it a single thought. You’re only bringing out the abuse because you’re looking a bit naive and foolish. 

At least we'll have Craig Gordon in goal when the season resumes!!!!

10 hours ago, Gambo said:

With next seasons teams, not the same

Void the lot.

Correct Gambo. The whole thing is just bonkers now. 
There is no way Euro 2021 play-offs can happen in June.  We are heading into a lockdown that will likely last until end May at the earliest if not much longer. Players will need 3-4 weeks pre-season to start playing again. I’ll be surprised if any games are played before August. 
Players contracts ending June 1 causes enormous issues as well. Hundreds of SPFL players out of contract on June 2. 
SFA saying Scottish cup will be completed. I’m assuming this means they can’t arbitrarily relegate Hearts and then expect us to play cup semi with a severely depleted squad. If relegated we will have shed most of our top-earners. Where is the sporting integrity in doing that to a club when there is prize-money and a UEFA place at stake? 
Only two options left I think - void the season completely, or follow the model that Germany appear to be considering and re-structure the leagues for one season 

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

On this point, whilst it may be true that clubs can sign players (as they can at any time of the year), the controlling aspect is whether they are registered with the association and accepted for use in the competition (league).

Players could be signed at anytime if they are a free agent.

Clarity would simply be needed to be communicated as to whether any new signed players would be accepted as registered for use in the league / cups

I just don'tt get that awarding titles and relegating teams is mutually exclusive.

Why can't Celtic, DUtd etc not be awarded titles? It's arbitrary really.

Relegation has real impact, however and should be avoided for as many as poss.

The positive move is 2 up from each division, no relegation, 2 up from non league. Even for one season.

It's tough for teams in 3rd spot but they're missing out on a very positive thing rather than losing current status.

I just can't get past how obvious it is.

Only a couple of days ago Craig Swan (Daily Record) was insisting Celtic be crowned champions and Hearts must be relegated.   Today he's criticising club owners (us) for moaning about bad luck while people are dying.

Ok for him to impose his option.

Others urge their option... shut up, people are dying.

It was mentioned that June 9th is when most players contracts are up in Scotland.

That is our cut off date to either complete or void the season.

Uefa's stance should have been you have until 30 June or earlier to complete your season or it's voided.

Celtic Hearts Cup final in December with completely different squads.  Crock of old poo.

Edited by DETTY29

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I just don'tt get that awarding titles and relegating teams is mutually exclusive.

The positive move is 2 up from each division, no relegation, 2 up from non league. Even for one season.

It's tough for teams in 3rd spot but they're missing out on a very positive thing rather than losing current status.

I get what you’re saying, but it’d require them to re-write the rules at a time when nobody knows when football will restart. Could be well beyond the normal start date for next season.  

That‘a aside from secondary stuff like how a 14 team league would be structured (39 games? Split after 26?) and what the broadcasters will say. There’s enough uncertainty at the moment. I don’t think they’ll do anything that requires a major shake-up - even a temporary one - and tbh I think that’s fair enough.

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Changing the structure of the leagues temporarily for a season would mean that the SPFL Blazers would actually have to do some work for their 6 figure salaries, we can’t have that. 

132goals1958
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Totally agree. It should all be about what is reasonable in the circumstances. Straight forward test of reasonableness to lessen in someway the financial impact. On the one hand the people that run our game are asking UEFA to allow teams to get direct access to the group stages and at the same time looking to relegate teams. Would it not also be fairer to distribute the prize money this year as a resilience fund based on financial needs.Celtic will weather the storm no problem but will scoop up most of the cash.They never tire of letting all and sundry they were founded on charitable principles. No more appropriate time to prove it.

10 minutes ago, Bellion said:

I get what you’re saying, but it’d require them to re-write the rules at a time when nobody knows when football will restart. Could be well beyond the normal start date for next season.  

That‘a aside from secondary stuff like how a 14 team league would be structured (39 games? Split after 26?) and what the broadcasters will say. There’s enough uncertainty at the moment. I don’t think they’ll do anything that requires a major shake-up - even a temporary one - and tbh I think that’s fair enough.

Sorry bud, but I just can't agree with that.  It is that simple.  Take the pressure off this season and having to end it.  It's not happening without major upheaval.  We're in a cup semi, I want to finish the season.  We shouldn't.  Let this thing pass, keep everyone safe.  Christ, the next step is self-isolating over 70s for 12 weeks!

So what should be looked at is the lowest impact, most positive solution for next season.  Rule changes or not.  And the start date will be the start date.  Play 26 fixtures, split, play another 12.  Done.  Maybe decide not to bother with League Cup for one season, which would be a shame.

You get the feeling the only thing holding up sense is pettiness.  The arse cheeks fighting over 9 in a row.  Rangers, you weren't stopping it cos you're shite.  Even we beat you.  Celtic's title, tainted as it is by missing 8 fixtures.

As I say, the beaks should be looking for positive outcomes and reducing impact for all clubs, not worrying about one-upmanship and "integrity" and all that bullshit.

David McCaig
26 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

On this point, whilst it may be true that clubs can sign players (as they can at any time of the year), the controlling aspect is whether they are registered with the association and accepted for use in the competition (league).

Players could be signed at anytime if they are a free agent.

Clarity would simply be needed to be communicated as to whether any new signed players would be accepted as registered for use in the league / cups

If you can't sign and register players, how do clubs replace players whose contracts come to an end?

What if Hamilton don't have enough players left to field a team?

3 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Totally agree. It should all be about what is reasonable in the circumstances. Straight forward test of reasonableness to lessen in someway the financial impact. On the one hand the people that run our game are asking UEFA to allow teams to get direct access to the group stages and at the same time looking to relegate teams. Would it not also be fairer to distribute the prize money this year as a resilience fund based on financial needs.Celtic will weather the storm no problem but will scoop up most of the cash.They never tire of letting all and sundry they were founded on charitable principles. No more appropriate time to prove it.

What a gesture from them it'd be if they championed something like that.  Seriously.

Pretty sure Ajax (I hope this is right) a couple of years back donated their European prize money to Dutch football for teams to improve their pitches.

Celtic, let's face it, as our most famous and biggest club, showing some leadership and humility would be nice.

Tell you what, I'm so certain it'll happen, I'm planning to hold my breath.  I've seen David Blane, don't worry folks!

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Sorry bud, but I just can't agree with that.  It is that simple.  Take the pressure off this season and having to end it.  It's not happening without major upheaval.  We're in a cup semi, I want to finish the season.  We shouldn't.  Let this thing pass, keep everyone safe.  Christ, the next step is self-isolating over 70s for 12 weeks!

So what should be looked at is the lowest impact, most positive solution for next season.  Rule changes or not.  And the start date will be the start date.  Play 26 fixtures, split, play another 12.  Done.  Maybe decide not to bother with League Cup for one season, which would be a shame.

You get the feeling the only thing holding up sense is pettiness.  The arse cheeks fighting over 9 in a row.  Rangers, you weren't stopping it cos you're shite.  Even we beat you.  Celtic's title, tainted as it is by missing 8 fixtures.

As I say, the beaks should be looking for positive outcomes and reducing impact for all clubs, not worrying about one-upmanship and "integrity" and all that bullshit.

Thing is, I’m just not sure they can say anything decisive about next season as things stand. There are too many unknowns. What if (and obviously, I really hope this isn’t the case) things take far longer to get back to normal than is currently estimated, and there’s no way of playing 26 games next year without affecting 21/22? We could still end up in that position. Nothing is a given at the moment. 

I know it seems like a good solution, but it would involve a lot of re-work: there are a lot of boring bits in the rules that would have to be adjusted and it’s going to be very hard to get consensus on that when most Scottish clubs are worried about nothing more than whether they’ll still exist in six months time. 

I totally understand that people want to see a solution, but I think it would be daft of them to commit to anything right now which could have a big impact on future years. Which is why, if postponing the current season until later isn’t possible, null and void looks like the most sensible approach to me. 

11 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

I think voiding the season is the least preferable option to the SPFL/SFA. Reading between the lines they now want to finish this season if possible when possible. 

I think they were considering making current positions final and communicated this privately to clubs which prompted Ann’s statement and the one from the huns on the same day. It was a bit of a coincidence if not. 

I think this must’ve happened or at least been “softly” leaked to judge the reaction. I’ve said across many threads that I started to hear about the league positions being final a week before the shut down. It even started to be discussed in the press. I think they wanted to declare the league as it stood and got a bad reaction from the clubs. 

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Even with a world wide pandemic Scottish football and wider society would have been simpler and better if Celtic and Rangers had never existed.

I wholeheartedly agree.

:clap:

IveSeenTheLight
33 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Absolutely.

The prize money should be evenly distributed among all 42 teams.

It means the Premier league teams will likely take a hit, but certainly would be a welcome boost to the lower league teams and help resolve the financial impacts it would have on these teams

37 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

To expand a bit further, the SPFL/SFA said yesterday they can't see Scotland being able to play Israel by the end of June, so they're obviously not expecting any more football this side of July at the earliest, therefore if this season does finish, it will be in next season.

Rather than chase one of the many points I've made, tell me what you think will happen?

I didn’t chase anything I only pointed out how ridiculous it was to think the seasons can overlap. IMO the problems and solutions are farcical and far outweigh declaring the season null and void. Taking player contracts alone as a single issue make the whole thing impossible to fix because I’ll tell you what you will struggle to find a single workforce more selfish than football players. 

SectionDJambo
50 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Only a couple of days ago Craig Swan (Daily Record) was insisting Celtic be crowned champions and Hearts must be relegated.   Today he's criticising club owners (us) for moaning about bad luck while people are dying.

This is typical of how corrupt the Scottish media is. Take a view to suit their tribe and it doesn't matter about anything else.

The worst examples of self interest in Scottish football, over this virus, were Lennon and Brown shouting about Celtic being made champions, within hours of the suspension of playing football in Scotland. Not a word of criticism of them, and not much in the way of disagreement, from our "free and impartial" press. 

IveSeenTheLight
32 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

If you can't sign and register players, how do clubs replace players whose contracts come to an end?

What if Hamilton don't have enough players left to field a team?

I never said you can't sign and register player, but that within the rules it caters for this and essentially if players are not signed for the 2018/20 season (remember out of contract players can still be signed and registered for this season).

There's been many occasions players are signed but cannot play until the next official window.

If Hamilton don't have enough players, then they could have to play youth players.

Its a bit moot as the indications are that the season will end before the next window opens.

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

This is typical of how corrupt the Scottish media is. Take a view to suit their tribe and it doesn't matter about anything else.

The worst examples of self interest in Scottish football, over this virus, were Lennon and Brown shouting about Celtic being made champions, within hours of the suspension of playing football in Scotland. Not a word of criticism of them, and not much in the way of disagreement, from our "free and impartial" press. 

Swan also held up Klopp as a shining example of morality.   That he would accept Liverpool not getting their title because of other more important things.

He's right.... but this same guy has been insisting Celtic get theirs.     A sick man. 

It would be a sick insult to impose the league as completed but also insist the cup must be played out.

Has Lennon been crying in someone's face for a treble?

5 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

The problem is it's got to start again at some point regardless of contracted players, when it can start again, how many clubs we have with enough players etc. The clear preference of the SPFL/SFA is to finish this season. Given that that can't happen this season it has to run into next season.

Or they void it or declare it finished and current placings stand. I notice they specifically mentioned finishing the Scottish Cup yesterday so perhaps they're thinking of doing one things with the cup and another with the league. Who knows.

I would bite your hand off right now for the season to be declared void but from a sporting point of view I think everyone Would rather the season was finished. Wanting this and it actually being possible though are completely different issues. The SFa/SPFL are of course making all the correct sporting noises. They aren’t saying a word about how this will be possible though. If the season is to be finished with teams having different squads it would be just as tainted as declaring any final positions now. 

starting late as a new season is the only option. 

Edited by Dazo

9 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

The problem is football has to start again at some point regardless of contracted players, when it can start again, how many clubs we have with enough players etc. The clear preference of the SPFL/SFA is to finish this season. Given that that can't happen this season it has to run into next season.

Or they void it or declare it finished and current placings stand. I notice they specifically mentioned finishing the Scottish Cup yesterday so perhaps they're thinking of doing one things with the cup and another with the league. Who knows.

SFA run the cup, SPFL run the leagues so both boards can come to different conclusions despite both being 'run by the clubs'

How are players meant to keep fit and match sharp in this instance if no other football can take place in the run up. Can you sign players for a short term and break the bank to win a league or escape relegation. You cant take games into the following season, player burn out, expecting fans to budget for games, policing and no doubt many more circumstances.

If all games cannot be finished by the deadline there is no option to end the season on that date. If it is mathematically impossible for a team to be caught leading a league or be relegated fair enough but you cannot award a title or be relegated when there is a chance you may not finish in that position.

Ideally the games get played in front of fans and teams make money to survive.

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Exactly. 

Arrogant wee dick. 

32 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I wholeheartedly agree.

:clap:

After the old Rangers were liquidated wasn't there a vote to break the hegemony, and your club shat the bed?

IveSeenTheLight
17 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It would be a sick insult to impose the league as completed but also insist the cup must be played out.

Has Lennon been crying in someone's face for a treble?

The difference is that the league will take 8/9 rounds to complete, 10/11 if you include a play off.

The cup would be done in 2 rounds and could be as a season opener like the charity shield but over two weekends