They Can't Relegate Us (Legally)

JJ93

27 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Football is ****ed, maybe until the season after imo. 

Even then, after that the economy will be on it's knees. 

This, and people are concerned who becomes champions and who gets relegated 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Rogue Daddy
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Can people stop wasting their time trying to dream up proposals of how to finish the league past June. With even the smallest hint of sporting integrity in mind this season cannot be finished after player contracts have expired and the transfer window has reopened. It’s that simple, why on earth do you think no decision has been made ? The only reason they haven’t voided it already is because of the Celtic/Rangers title argument. 

Correct.... if it were any other team, this season would already be in the bin.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

It would be demotion, not relegation.

I would want Ann to fight this all the way.

Many would be finished with football imo.

Correct and is the reason it won’t happen. 

And before anyone starts about the highland league, there is no relegation and all the clubs agreed to concede the title. 

heartandsoul
1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

Given the current situation, and despite how much I love Hearts, I could give a flying **** about football right now.  I'm more worried about keeping my family safe and wondering if I'm going to have a job at the end of this shite.

This

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Dates are beyond the middle of April. Most are not delivering to new customers. 

I accept there are challenges, but they are not insurmountable and can be overcome

18 hours ago, Taffin said:

I don't get why you would start another season until the previous one was finished. Surely the talk should be around when the next league will be able to start based on when we get this one finished. Whenever we can play again, we finish this season then consider when to start the next one.

We will know in a few days whether or not yesterday’s drop in deaths versus Italy at this stage was just a blip, or if we have managed to deviate from their path and death toll. If it is just a blip, I honestly just do not see us finishing this season. It will be about trying to keep our clubs alive. I think the season will be declared finished, and it will be all about when we can get a new season up and running a good while in the future.

I think people are underestimating how bad this is going to get, if we do not get off the curve we have been on these last two weeks.

17 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Correct.... if it were any other team, this season would already be in the bin.

How many other leagues across the world are already in the bin?

1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

We will know in a few days whether or not yesterday’s drop in deaths versus Italy at this stage was just a blip, or if we have managed to deviate from their path and death toll. If it is just a blip, I honestly just do not see us finishing this season. It will be about trying to keep our clubs alive. I think the season will be declared finished, and it will be all about when we can get a new season up and running a good while in the future.

I think people are underestimating how bad this is going to get, if we do not get off the curve we have been on these last two weeks.

I'm not underestimating it and absolutely agree that survival of the club's is the number one priority. I just don't see the logic in ending this season just because it doesn't fall properly in a calendar. I view as season as 38 games, not X month to Y month. Even if we don't start again for a year, I'd finish this season and then look to start the next one when possible.

Edited by Taffin

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I'm not underestimating it and absolutely agree that survival of the club's is the number one priority. I just don't see the logic in ending this season just because it doesn't fall properly in a calendar. I view as season as 38 games, not X month to Y month. Even if we don't start again for a year, I'd finish this season and then look to start the next one when possible.

Sorry Taffin. Didn’t mean you personally are underestimating it. 

Rogue Daddy
1 hour ago, Anderson5 said:

How many other leagues across the world are already in the bin?

No idea. You tell me.

The point I was making is that if it were anyone else in our league, a decision would have been made, probably null and void - in my opinion.

Football is not re-starting anytime soon... but when it does there will be a period of pre-season-ish training before a ball is kicked. If outstanding games are to played (ie. season completed)... there will also be a period where season tickets cannot be planned for  - which will be one of the first things on clubs minds to get any sort of cash flow started.

Nobody knows how long this will last, but if there had been a decision on our league - clubs could start planning (to a degree.) However, given Scottish footballs circumstances re. the uglie sisters.... this will probably drag on until they can come up with something that will appease both arse cheeks... again, just my opinion.

There are other leagues - like the EPL - that have funding to help compensate teams, so they can afford to wait for a period and possibly re-start. Unfortunately, I don't think Scotland can.

10 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Sorry Taffin. Didn’t mean you personally are underestimating it. 

No worries 👍 just wasn't sure if you thought I meant more like 'well, it will all be over in a month so just play the games theb' rather than 'whenever this is over, play the games before starting again'.

Just now, Taffin said:

No worries 👍 just wasn't sure if you thought I meant more like 'well, it will all be over in a month so just play the games theb' rather than 'whenever this is over, play the games before starting again'.

No. I do think some of the pundits and sports media are of that train of thought though.

Huddersfield Jambo

We only have to look at the history of our club and the sacrifices made when we had a chance of winning the league to know we will do the right thing for the good of the game.

There could be other options.  Finish the season Sept to Nov (or when ever it's over) with next season starting in December but just 1 round of home and away games.

But we mustn't forget that there are people getting this virus who will never play or watch another game of football and minimising how many people never see another game has to come first.

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I see some woman called Helen Martin (I think) is telling AB should should ditch any legal challenge. 

Who is she and why does her opinion matter?

Edited by frankblack

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, frankblack said:

No idea who she is but it's in the evening hobo  and it goes without saying it doesn't matter. 

GorgieRules22
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

She is a ****ing idiot and a woman clueless about football

Rogue Daddy
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Doesn't matter.... been writing for the EEN for 30 years (or so).... and not for the sports section!

13 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I see some woman called Helen Martin (I think) is telling AB should should ditch any legal challenge. 

you also have john hartson saying rangers should concede the title to celtic as it will give them good will or some other pish

Most epidemiologists are saying that this virus will still be around and effecting people in two years time! I am not suggesting that they are thinking of the same number of cases but it will not be going away anytime soon.

Rogue Daddy
1 minute ago, jock _turd said:

Most epidemiologists are saying that this virus will still be around and effecting people in two years time! I am not suggesting that they are thinking of the same number of cases but it will not be going away anytime soon.

Yep, I'd heard that... hopefully there will be an effective vaccine in play by then.

2 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I accept there are challenges, but they are not insurmountable and can be overcome

Only by doing my own shopping. 

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Only by doing my own shopping. 

That can still be challenging.

You go to the shops and find different things out of stock, so end up having to go more often.

in times like these, I think there is an opportunity for a better way of working

55 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

That can still be challenging.

You go to the shops and find different things out of stock, so end up having to go more often.

in times like these, I think there is an opportunity for a better way of working

Or buying fresh produce. Army delivery perhaps?

Bazzas right boot

Football could be completely arsed tbh. 

Big sponsorship could be pulled, companies will go bust. 

Could hit the reset button on professional sport to some extent as almost every club is Likley to be effected. 

Could also be the catalyst for cross country leagues tho and complete overhaul across the leagues. 

Interesting times ahead, football wise anyway. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Any info on other leagues around the world and if any have made a decisive move: null and void, titles awarded, relegation imposed...?

I read that the Highland League have awarded their title but that's it. 

Nookie Bear
15 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Could hit the reset button on professional sport to some extent as almost every club is Likley to be effected. 

Could also be the catalyst for cross country leagues tho and complete overhaul across the leagues. 

Yes and no.

Obviously if this drags on beyond another 6 months then it causes a huge issue but, on the flip side, resumption should see a massive increase in attendance and participation that sponsors will want to capitalise on.

On 23/03/2020 at 11:25, Taffin said:

Mostly to do with Season Ticket sales I would imagine. What league will teams be in? How many home league games will there be in the next season? When can they realistically go on sale? For how much? 

Clubs will want as much certainty as possible just now so a decision (however bad it may be) will allow a line to be drawn and clubs to start planning.

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yes and no.

Obviously if this drags on beyond another 6 months then it causes a huge issue but, on the flip side, resumption should see a massive increase in attendance and participation that sponsors will want to capitalise on.

While I wishfully think it won’t be 6 months I agree there will be a massive increase in attendance and interest which will lead to potential Increase in sponsorship. 

18 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

To be honest football at the elite levels needed a hard reset. The money involved was just getting ridiculous. 

132goals1958
19 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Mostly to do with Season Ticket sales I would imagine. What league will teams be in? How many home league games will there be in the next season? When can they realistically go on sale? For how much? 

Clubs will want as much certainty as possible just now so a decision (however bad it may be) will allow a line to be drawn and clubs to start planning.

Also the remaining 8 fixtures will be covered by existing season tickets. Clubs will be desperate to maximise revenue ASAP. 

IveSeenTheLight
28 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Also the remaining 8 fixtures will be covered by existing season tickets. Clubs will be desperate to maximise revenue ASAP. 

Does anyone realistically think that these games will be played?

33 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Not a chance in Hell

When you take into account the fact that this will be the longest lay-off many players will have had in their career, they are going to need one hell of a pre-season to get up to match fitness when the virus restrictions are lifted. It just pushes the resumption of football further and further back. 
Another factor that makes the scrapping of this season all the more sensible. 

Nookie Bear
56 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Optimistically, perhaps around August/September.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'm actually pretty confident the existing season will be played out. So long as that is the SFA or SPFL decision to make. The problem for the Scottish admin, is UEFA.

How will their competitions look in 20/21 and when will they start, when do the representatives need to be called. When will travel restrictions be lifted all over Europe and what is the contingency should there be another spike. This presents major issues for over 50 associations to the benefit of the minority. The wealth of course, and the wealth needs to be appeased, but these are truly extraordinary and sad times, catastrophic loss of life.

You have to be incredibly naïve, taking Scotland in isolation, not to realise this is solely about the top 2 and removing ambiguity or accusations of bias.

That will then lead to a curtailed 2020/1 season, which will throw the bones out there, likely reconstruction, if they  (SPFL) are in control. 

The big question is what UEFA can and will do. If the Olympics can move to 2021, they seriously should take a look at closing 19/20 when its safe to do so, with curtailed programmes for 20/21, most likely mini knockout tournaments in 21.

Edited by Sir Gio

IveSeenTheLight

It appears that UEFA want the seasons concluded by the end of June. I honestly don't think it is possible.

I get they are giving the associations and members the opportunity to be played out, but once it becomes impossible within the timeframe, they'll make the decision and hopefully have a prepared plan for what then occurs, be it league reconstruction or something else.

132goals1958

In football gossip that learned pundit Willie Miller has sad Scottish clubs must abide by tough decisions  --quote---  Even if it means Hearts being relegated. He just cant help himself.

28 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

It appears that UEFA want the seasons concluded by the end of June. I honestly don't think it is possible.

I get they are giving the associations and members the opportunity to be played out, but once it becomes impossible within the timeframe, they'll make the decision and hopefully have a prepared plan for what then occurs, be it league reconstruction or something else.

That isn't remotely possible, and don't player contracts expire before June?

We are going to be self isolating for at least 3 months until they can put measures in place to test people to identify who has and hasn't go the virus in order to stop the spread.

1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

In football gossip that learned pundit Willie Miller has sad Scottish clubs must abide by tough decisions  --quote---  Even if it means Hearts being relegated. He just cant help himself.

This is from a guy who couldn't run his own chip shop business and wants to dictate to a successful millionaire business woman to ignore legal avenues and take the financial punishment?

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

That isn't remotely possible, and don't player contracts expire before June?

We are going to be self isolating for at least 3 months until they can put measures in place to test people to identify who has and hasn't go the virus in order to stop the spread.

Agreed, but they're playing the game by giving the perception to be giving an opportunity to complete.

It also bides them some time before having to make a decision on "what's next?", hopefully they're using this to get an agreement on what will be.

132goals1958
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This is from a guy who couldn't run his own chip shop business and wants to dictate to a successful millionaire business woman to ignore legal avenues and take the financial punishment?

😀

52 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Just read that the mans an arse, no chance he would have come out with that if it was Aberdeen in this position. Yeah let’s just accept That for the good of the other teams we’ll take a massive financial hit which will set us back for years ya fud Willie. If after all games are played then ok but I do hope Hearts fight this. 

1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

Cannot stand that absolute 🚀 

He doesn’t even try to hide his disdain for us. 

Wonder if he would say the same if the 🐑 were bottom in the same circumstances..

Didn’t hear him moan when the 🐑 avoided relegation due to league reconstruction 🤔 

The Real Maroonblood

What a roaster. 

3 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Certainly not any time soon - IMO.

1 minute ago, MattyK82 said:

Cannot stand that absolute 🚀 

He doesn’t even try to hide his disdain for us. 

Wonder if he would say the same if the 🐑 were bottom in the same circumstances..

Didn’t hear him moan when the 🐑 avoided relegation due to league reconstruction 🤔 

The guy is a trumpet BUT he is correct that tough decisions need to be made. The season should be made null and void and/or the leagues expanded . I honestly do not think there is a single chairman of a Scottish SPL team who would want a league without Hearts in it as they all know we carry a good away support... In fact I would probably go as far as to say our support at some grounds earns them more than they get from television money. However to revisit what he said the only reason the decision has not been made is that Celtic want the league bestowed upon them and even as a  Hearts fan I think that is totally unacceptable, but nobody has the bottle to tell them they are not getting it! You do not, or should not, award championships when there are still for some teams a lot to play for and they are nowhere near the point when everything is off the table.

How we all wish Willie Johnston hadn't mistaken John McMaster for Miller all those years ago and it was Miller's throat he actually stamped on.

IveSeenTheLight
2 minutes ago, gedster said:

How we all wish Willie Johnston hadn't mistaken John McMaster for Miller all those years ago and it was Miller's throat he actually stamped on.

:facepalm:

I wouldn't wish that to happen to anybody, even the most detestable SevConian or DeidConian