They Can't Relegate Us (Legally)

JJ93

7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Hypothetical situation.

Say it was either Celtic/Sevco currently 4pts adrift at the bottom of the league with 8 games to play and Hearts 13pts ahead at the top of the league. Who thinks Neil Lennon would be advocating give Hearts the league flag and Celtic should rightly be relegated. Same goes for Steven Gerrard at Ibrox.

Nobody.  The same way nobody on here would give a shit if it was Hamilton bottom and we safely sat up in seventh or whatever.   Would you be calling for the league to be concluded or void the year we went miles ahead in the championship? No danger, it’s all about looking after each clubs best interests deep down.  We would be a week away from winning the championship, but rules are rules and you would be okay with it? Nobody would. 

Edited by Last Laff

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

14 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Hypothetical situation.

Say it was either Celtic/Sevco currently 4pts adrift at the bottom of the league with 8 games to play and Hearts 13pts ahead at the top of the league. Who thinks Neil Lennon would be advocating give Hearts the league flag and Celtic should rightly be relegated. Same goes for Steven Gerrard at Ibrox.

Not one single club will be that interested in what the 'fairest' thing is. Every club, us included will lobby with their own self interest at the heart of it.

To me, the most unfair outcome possible is closing the season and all outcomes to be taken on current league positions. The most fair outcome is to play out all remaining games when we can resume football.

Incidentally, if Hearts were 13 points clear, in tremendous form with 8 games to play and football was suspended, I'd want it resumed and played to a finish.Just giving us the title would be somewhat empty. I'd want those 8 games to rub their noses in it and have 8 parties !!!

Edited by JimmyCant

1 hour ago, ericb said:

I get she needs to stand up for us, but the interview she has done does look a bit callous in the current world state of affairs.

I'd actually like her to state that we will accept any decision that is made, as football is not the most important thing at the moment.

I could accept this view if only the powers that be were of the same principal. Unfortunately they ain't as money continues to talk

18 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Some of their fans might I'll grant you, but Hibs themselves will want to play on and get try and get into Europe. And deep down, from a business point of view, they wont want us to go down either

Kind of what I was thinking. Their fans obviously want us to go down, but Dempster is Budges buddy. If there was a vote I reckon they would abstain.

2 hours ago, ericb said:

I get she needs to stand up for us, but the interview she has done does look a bit callous in the current world state of affairs.

I'd actually like her to state that we will accept any decision that is made, as football is not the most important thing at the moment.

Yer having a giraffe with last paragraph.

38 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We do, but this appears to be a SPFL board decision to make, not a club vote

Who is on that board, & what are their affiliations?

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Yer having a giraffe with last paragraph.

Exactly. 

She's not looking for any favours.

She wouldn't give them the satisfaction. 

14 minutes ago, sac said:

Who is on that board, & what are their affiliations?

Elected to serve on the 2019/20 SPFL Board, alongside SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster, chairman Murdoch MacLennan and independent non-executive director Karyn McCluskey, were: 

•    Ladbrokes Premiership: Alan Burrows (Motherwell), Les Gray (Hamilton Academical), Stewart Robertson (Rangers)

•    Ladbrokes Championship: Ross McArthur (Dunfermline Athletic), Graham Peterkin (Ayr United) 

•    Ladbrokes League 1 and League 2: Ken Ferguson (Brechin City)

20 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Elected to serve on the 2019/20 SPFL Board, alongside SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster, chairman Murdoch MacLennan and independent non-executive director Karyn McCluskey, were: 

•    Ladbrokes Premiership: Alan Burrows (Motherwell), Les Gray (Hamilton Academical), Stewart Robertson (Rangers)

•    Ladbrokes Championship: Ross McArthur (Dunfermline Athletic), Graham Peterkin (Ayr United) 

So Rangers(stop 9 in a row), Ayr(miss playoff), Dunfermline(miss playoff) and Brechin(relegation) will all, from a self interest perspective, not want an outcome where the current season ends as it is and decisions stands.

Of course they wont be thinking of their own self interests.

Edited by Jamboelite

5 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

So Rangers(stop 9 in a row), Ayr(miss playoff), Dunfermline(miss playoff) and Brechin(relegation) will all from a self interest perspective not want an outcome where the current season ends as it is and decisions stands.

And every right minded decent person hates Celtic, so we are golden.

16 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

So Rangers(stop 9 in a row), Ayr(miss playoff), Dunfermline(miss playoff) and Brechin(relegation) will all, from a self interest perspective, not want an outcome where the current season ends as it is and decisions stands.

While that all suits us, isn't it everything wrong with our game!!!?

Small minded parochial people in club suits deciding the ongoing fate of our game.  Has held us back so badly, for so long.

Our national game is run like a local bowling club.

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

While that all suits us, isn't it everything wrong with our game!!!?

Small minded parochial people in club suits deciding the ongoing fate of our game.  Has held us back so badly, for so long.

Our national game is run like a local bowling club.

Not sure what the alternative is though. Someone like Doncaster with no club affiliation and lets face it not much idea about Scottish Football (he's a sales and marketing man and not a very good one either) or people with plenty knowledge but a club affiliation driving or influencing almost everything they do. Personally I think it ought to be possible to gather a group of 5 or 6 non affiliated individuals who are forward thinking and experienced in the field, and pay them well to run the game without fear or favour and with a bit of innovation. Having the board members of Brechin and Rangers etc etc. Well.......feck all meaningful is going to get done is it ???

Fozzyonthefence
20 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

You missed out Motherwell (get 3rd place) and Hamilton (might be happy if they avoid play off).  So potentially, probably 4 of them against using current positions and 2 for, out of self interest.  But Dunfermline could still end up in relegation  play off or promotion play off so they might be for.  And there are the other 3 too, who knows how they’ll vote. 

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Nobody.  The same way nobody on here would give a shit if it was Hamilton bottom and we safely sat up in seventh or whatever.   Would you be calling for the league to be concluded or void the year we went miles ahead in the championship? No danger, it’s all about looking after each clubs best interests deep down.  We would be a week away from winning the championship, but rules are rules and you would be okay with it? Nobody would. 

Not sure how many times people need to reply and say that they would still not agree with this if it was another club in last place, before you believe it.

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Not sure what the alternative is though. Someone like Doncaster with no club affiliation and lets face it not much idea about Scottish Football (he's a sales and marketing man and not a very good one either) or people with plenty knowledge but a club affiliation driving or influencing almost everything they do. Personally I think it ought to be possible to gather a group of 5 or 6 non affiliated individuals who are forward thinking and experienced in the field, and pay them well to run the game without fear or favour and with a bit of innovation. Having the board members of Brechin and Rangers etc etc. Well.......feck all meaningful is going to get done is it ???

Yeah exactly.  It's just about good recruitment.  The Phil Andersons of the world are out there.  It's about ponying up to have good people and looking to people with unbiased views such as Barry Hearn to catapult us out of the malaise we're in where the whole system is designed to pander to two bullies.  We've plenty leaders of industry in Scotland - we're a leading, innovative country in so many ways.  Our football people just don't want to be like that.

Look at how Rangers have been run for god's sake, but their guy's on the board?  What?!?!  Rod Petrie has been a top dog in our game for years.  Ask any Hibs fan if they think he's run their club well.  It's craziness.  Rod Petrie on a committee to choose our national manager, which Hibs had something like 8 managers in as many years and most of them total flops.

As it is, there are constant reports and talk about grass roots and pathways and all this.  And that's all good (if we actually acted on any of that chat), but at the same time, the guys who run the professional game do nothing but talk it down and essentially aim for status quo.  So basically they commission work to look at the grassroots so they look good, but nothing about our game ever changes because at the top level, the game is rigged.

48 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Thanks for that.

A bit concerning that a board member from Brechin e.g. could potentially hold a casting vote that could place us or a n other club into an administration event.

2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Get a grip?  I’m not the one pretending that the club would pull out competitions and the support would boycott grounds based on this.  Laughable as ****. 

Ha ha, your the one pretending on this board. 

3 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Which would then delay any start to next season even further should any club decide to take their case to CAS

I'm not convinced that us taking legal action would prevent the Premiership from starting a new season. If they omit us, we'd have to sign up for the championship. If we were to continue the claim and it was found in our favour, we'd likely only get compensation imo.

It's that risk which the spfl would need to weigh up.

12 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah exactly.  It's just about good recruitment.  The Phil Andersons of the world are out there.  It's about ponying up to have good people and looking to people with unbiased views such as Barry Hearn to catapult us out of the malaise we're in where the whole system is designed to pander to two bullies.  We've plenty leaders of industry in Scotland - we're a leading, innovative country in so many ways.  Our football people just don't want to be like that.

Look at how Rangers have been run for god's sake, but their guy's on the board?  What?!?!  Rod Petrie has been a top dog in our game for years.  Ask any Hibs fan if they think he's run their club well.  It's craziness.  Rod Petrie on a committee to choose our national manager, which Hibs had something like 8 managers in as many years and most of them total flops.

As it is, there are constant reports and talk about grass roots and pathways and all this.  And that's all good (if we actually acted on any of that chat), but at the same time, the guys who run the professional game do nothing but talk it down and essentially aim for status quo.  So basically they commission work to look at the grassroots so they look good, but nothing about our game ever changes because at the top level, the game is rigged.

Good post and at the risk of straying too far off topic..... we spent a fortune on the Henry McLeish blueprint and he came up with a half decent assessment of where we were going wrong and what we needed to do. However there wasnt a quick fix in it and the big players in our game will always prefer the status quo as it saves them thinking too hard or changing too much which wouldnt neccesarily benefit them. We've got to take the rabid self interest out of the equation first and foremost.

I dont think football is rigged as such. I think a race where there are 2 horses and 10 donkeys only ever has one of 2 outcomes. That causes a lot of resentment and a lot of apathy at the same time and it gives the appearance that everything is done to favour them. Whilst that impression exists, real or unreal, we're stuck with same old same old. Something has to be done to shift the power to an independent and transparent body who's first task would be not to take any shit from the OF. The likes of buffoons with power such as Lawell and Petrie running the game to suit themselves....Honestly its crazy.

Edited by JimmyCant

bigsuperslim1874
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Good post and at the risk of straying too far off topic..... we spent a fortune on the Henry McLeish blueprint and he came up with a half decent assessment of where we were going wrong and what we needed to do. However there wasnt a quick fix in it and the big players in our game will always prefer the status quo as it saves them thinking too hard or changing too much which wouldnt neccesarily benefit them. We've got to take the rabid self interest out of the equation first and foremost.

I dont think football is rigged as such. I think a race where there are 2 horses and 10 donkeys only ever has one of 2 outcomes. That causes a lot of resentment and a lot of apathy at the same time and it gives the appearance that everything is done to favour them. Whilst that impression exists, real or unreal, we're stuck with same old same old. Something has to be done to shift the power to an independent and transparent body who's first task would be not to take any shit from the OF.

There is a guy who would immediately give the game here credibility. He knows his stuff and it’s a shame he isn’t more involved.

6 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Do we expect to hear from UEFA today?

Euros put back 1 year

Euro playoffs scheduled for early June

Nothing in the statement I can see about leagues being completed. Briefly mentioned as freeing up space to finish them and forming a working comittee to look at future calendars, but no specific instructions given

Edited by JimmyCant

Just now, JimmyCant said:

Euros put back 1 year

Euro playoffs scheduled for early June

Nothing in the statement I can see about leagues being completed

Cheers.

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

I dont think football is rigged as such. I think a race where there are 2 good horses and 10 donkeys only ever has one of 2 outcomes. That causes a lot of resentment and a lot of apathy at the same time and it gives the appearance that everything is done to favour them. Whilst that impression exists, real or unreal, we're stuck with same old same old. Something has to be done to shift the power to an independent and transparent body who's first task would be not to take any shit from the OF.

Exactly, the McLeish Report is the whole thing in a nutshell.  Ooh, that looks like change.... we were hoping you'd say just to carry on...!  Brush, brush...

I'd say it is rigged, but I don't mean that in a mafiosa, illuminati way.  Just that we do have these two big horses and the fact is that the majority of officials, even of other clubs, managers, refs, players, pundits, journos, have some affiliation with one of them.  That blinds those who matter from seeing the real issues at hand as it's generally not too bad for those two institutions.  They're up the top of the league, they're winning, they're getting decent money from player sales and a bit from Europe and they have teams full of internationals (and Stevie G of course).  What needs to change, right?

Then when they get pumped out of Europe early, or our national team fail again, generally one person gets blamed - the guy who scored the OG, or missed the penalty, the non-OF biased European ref, the national manager.  Then it's on to the next news cycle - Lenny says Celtic are better than Rangers... Stevie G says he's gona spend big this summer.... that ref gave Celtic a penalty against Killie, he'd better give Rangers one against Motherwell....

Ad nauseam.  To me, while maybe not fully consciously, that's rigged, mate.

4 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

There is a guy who would immediately give the game here credibility. He knows his stuff and it’s a shame he isn’t more involved.

Like I said above, these guys exist.  Scotland is full of great minds.  Our game don't want them.

Rogue Daddy
34 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Like I said above, these guys exist.  Scotland is full of great minds.  Our game don't want them.

You're right there. They don't... why upset the Old Firm apple cart.

bigsuperslim1874
41 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

5 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

You're right there. They don't... why upset the Old Firm apple cart.

When you have donuts like Petrie and McCrae mulling about over the recent past is it any wonder we are run like a crap bowling club. Didn’t Petrie get his role ‘unopposed’ as some kind of precession? :facepalm: 

Edited by bigsuperslim1874

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Got an awful lot more to do than simply football. There is a humanitarian crisis, she has Save the Children on the front of our shirts, football could have been sidestepped neatly, she is a bright woman

There is a human crisis certainly in that the media have whipped up such a panic that Sainsburys at Longstone looks like a Russian supermarket from the 80s - no eggs or pasta, little fresh meat, end aisles closed, (bizarrely there is still tinned soup which ought to be the first hunker down long-life item to go!)...and pensioners are walking around hiding their faces like inner-city youths in an arctic winter. I expect it is replicated or worse all over the country...I would understand this from Americans who are scared of their own shadows but from Britons this is just embarassing.

Yes we all have to take care and limit our chances of exposure but Boris and his team of rule-breaking "outside the box"-ers with their slowness to act and callous "herd immunity" mantra have mismanaged this to such an extent that the country has fallen to bits... So much for his apparent belief that he is Churchill 2.0...

manaliveits105

Heard on radio earlier a British Broadcasting Celtic reporter saying bbc understands null and voiding the season is not an option 

aye it is ya fraudsters and very much an option

TyphoonJambo
4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

There is a human crisis certainly in that the media have whipped up such a panic that Sainsburys at Longstone looks like a Russian supermarket from the 80s - no eggs or pasta, little fresh meat, end aisles closed, (bizarrely there is still tinned soup which ought to be the first hunker down long-life item to go!)...and pensioners are walking around hiding their faces like inner-city youths in an arctic winter. I expect it is replicated or worse all over the country...I would understand this from Americans who are scared of their own shadows but from Britons this is just embarassing.

Yes we all have to take care and limit our chances of exposure but Boris and his team of rule-breaking "outside the box"-ers with their slowness to act and callous "herd immunity" mantra have mismanaged this to such an extent that the country has fallen to bits... So much for his apparent belief that he is Churchill 2.0...

On lockdown in rural Spain. There was initially panic buying when all the disease ridden tossers came down from Madrid to hide in their country homes. Now allowed to go to supermarket, fag shop garage, doctors, chemist and, weirdly, hairdressers! 

Working my way through Hambone heaven and you tube jambo stuff. 

Not too bad really, stay safe guys. 

3 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The Hamilton chairman having a place on the SPFL board is a shambles. 

His 75% claim earlier has been proven to be pish so i have no confidence in that arsepiece to understand what is going on.

GorgieRules22
2 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

His 75% claim earlier has been proven to be pish so i have no confidence in that arsepiece to understand what is going on.

It’s not that one that’s on the board.

1 hour ago, stan said:

I'm not convinced that us taking legal action would prevent the Premiership from starting a new season. If they omit us, we'd have to sign up for the championship. If we were to continue the claim and it was found in our favour, we'd likely only get compensation imo.

The compensation would likely put the SPFL out of business. They wouldn’t have the funds to pay it.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Relevance ?

Well it was replying to your last sentence. 😁

Tongue in cheek.😄

Adam_the_legend
32 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

What are you talking about?? So Coronavirus is just some media storm and none of us should be worried. Unbelievable. 

4 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

What are you talking about?? So Coronavirus is just some media storm and none of us should be worried. Unbelievable. 

Well I'm not saying that. Suggest you go back and read it again. Maybe more slowly, and with a dictionary to hand.

Edited by Spellczech

8 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Where did you get that from his comments as i didnt take it like that at all ?

Edited by Jamboelite

1 hour ago, stan said:

Legal action would also involve an Interdict forbidding the SPFL from starting a new season until the action competes. Otherwise, winning the action would either be pointless or result in the new season having to be unraveled.

41 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Wow. 

1 minute ago, Jambo66 said:

Legal action would also involve an Interdict forbidding the SPFL from starting a new season until the action competes. Otherwise, winning the action would either be pointless or result in the new season having to be unraveled.

Not sure if CAS issue interdicts. CAS is the legal authority we'd be obliged to go to. If we went to the Edinburgh court of session to get an interdict we'd be in trouble for not using CAS.

4 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Where did you get that from his comments ?

Indeed - you do wonder at the interpretation some people on here take on posts...It is like they take 2+2 and make anything but 4! Happens again and again and again, like English is their second language...My best mate is Slovakian and he seldom misconstrues my meaning and I'm sure I must be a clearer writer than speaker when communicating...

49 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Churchill preferred to cause people to die of starvation and disease in other countries, like India, not his own.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
54 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Could barely string 2 sentences together a bit like the Hearts midfield and passes :)

3 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Churchill preferred to cause people to die of starvation and disease in other countries, like India, not his own.

What is the point in any sort of nationalism if it is not to give preference to your own over those who are not? That is the very essence of it... I get your point though.

Adam_the_legend
18 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Well I'm not saying that. Suggest you go back and read it again. Maybe more slowly, and with a dictionary to hand.

16 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Where did you get that from his comments as i didnt take it like that at all ?

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Indeed - you do wonder at the interpretation some people on here take on posts...It is like they take 2+2 and make anything but 4! Happens again and again and again, like English is their second language...My best mate is Slovakian and he seldom misconstrues my meaning and I'm sure I must be a clearer writer than speaker when communicating...

Getting off topic so I won’t labour on the point but I feel my interpretation of your post was fine. I especially liked the comparison between Americans and Britons, as strange as it was. 🙄

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

What is the point in any sort of nationalism if it is not to give preference to your own over those who are not? That is the very essence of it... I get your point though.

They were his people at the time, India was a colony. He stole their crops to give to the Greeks.

Off topic now though, so I’ll leave it there. 👍

3 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

They were his people at the time, India was a colony. He stole their crops to give to the Greeks.

Off topic now though, so I’ll leave it there. 👍

Debatable if Churchill would have regarded Indians as his own. Imperialism is about bringing resources under your control, whether it be goods or people.  Happy to let it lie though.

Edited by Spellczech

16 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Getting off topic so I won’t labour on the point but I feel my interpretation of your post was fine. I especially liked the comparison between Americans and Britons, as strange as it was. 🙄

My view on Americans is based on a very close view of their reaction to 9/11. Even the Govt got ridiculously carried away and started not one but 2 wars off the back of it...A personal anecdote amongst all the madness was that I asked an American colleague in the pub outside of work what she thought would Bush would do. She went all weird, so I just let it drop. She then complained to my boss and tried to get me disciplined at work. She went to an another American, a more senior indirect boss of mine - I got dragged in from a client 30 miles away for a meeting without being told what it concerned. I told her and the idiot from HR in no uncertain terms that I was really pissed off at being dragged in to discuss an inconsequential matter which did not happen at work and was not about work. They backed off quick smart.