They Can't Relegate Us (Legally)

JJ93

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Said it all along,  they won't relegate anyone. 

Giving is one thing taking is very different and fraught with consequences 

You’re a giver rather than a taker then?😳

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

12 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I don’t advocate surrender at all. I just maintain that:

1) our form so far is worthy of relegation. That’s indisputable. We have been a disgrace at all levels this season.

2) Budge fighting our corner, while evidently necessary, is amusing given the way she let us rot under a Levein. Hold external bodies accountable but not those within the club, including herself.

Btw, we ain’t getting relegated automatically anyway. The SPFL will fall into line by copying whatever the English Premier League do and the EPL will 100% finish off their fixtures, helped by the Euros being postponed. You can take that to the bank.

That's a guess at this stage.    Nobody knows when games can start again and it could be the autumn or even winter.    Scottish football's terrible financial state may well determine it can't wait until there's some other decision to fall in line with.    

Scottish football is liable to make a rushed,  poorly thought out decision based on being bullied by a team determined to add a meaningless digit to a numerical total,   plus a grab on insurance money if the season can be declared finished.

5 hours ago, Last Laff said:

If we tell the SFA to ram the Semi finals because the SPFL sent us down you think they will go “that’s fine, we understand your problem, we will someone sort this, see you next season” :lol: 

edit: in fact it wouldn’t surprise me if this would delight them, they would just reinstate the huns in our place.  

Ok let’s just bend over take what’s coming our way and do as we’re told.  Get a grip

Randy Marsh
3 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Go look it up on Twitter ffs. 

Absolutely tedious eh.  He can come here and gloat at our current position all he wants.   We'll all be doing the same to Aberdeen soon.   When they move to their out of town, soulless, IKEA flatpack crappy new stadium.  And wiggy has fleeced them hard and dry.

:greggy:

SectionDJambo

The only good thing that could come out of this situation is that the SFA and SPFL should agree, within their memberships, definitive rules for a similar postponement of a season in the future.

At least then everyone would know what is to happen and no skullduggery is suspected.

Scottie Wanshot.

Just now, Randy Marsh said:

Absolutely tedious eh.  He can come here and gloat at our current position all he wants.   We'll all be doing the same to Aberdeen soon.   When they move to their out of town, soulless, IKEA flatpack crappy new stadium.  And wiggy has fleeced them hard and dry.

:greggy:

Indeed, that stadium didn’t have a hope in hell of being built in the first place. Not to the price and spec that was being talked about anyway. Amazing that So many folk were just nodding along and thinking it was anything other than Shepard’s pie in the sky!

£50m+? Aberdeen? Aye, okay then. :rofl:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You’re a giver rather than a taker then?😳

😉

I sense heavy Scotland Rugby in Japan with this - ie threaten legal action, get the games then ****ing lose. 

In total seriousness, the season should be voided. Extending contracts for a month is a total nonsense and begs the question, what if you don't want to? Our players have been so shite I'd grudge any of the ones we can get rid of in the summer another penny. 

Void it, restructure to avoid bad feeling and reassess at the end of that season if new set up is sufficient or if old structure should be reinstated. 

Budge has made some crazy decisions not least around her man Levein, but to criticise her for preparing to fight a relegation judgement in the courts is absolutely insane 

As Chair of our football club she has no choice to take this fight on and from a judgement perspective is absolutely in her rights to do so 

Let’s not take the moral high ground now. Nothing moral about accepting a judgement that we could avoid if we played out the remainder of our games 

That might not be an option but it isn’t our fault that we can’t fulfil these obligations. 

It isnt over until the fat lady sings and considering she has lost her voice there is no way we should be accepting an unethical judgement passed by the football authorities because they don’t have a Plan B on the table 

They gave us a point demotion after Admin, with everything to play for, but then allow us to be relegated, with everything to play for !!

F... this in spades ♠️ 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Hopefully the trawler dwellers go down the shitter.     I'd take a bad bout of the virus just to see that.

Post of the year 

SectionDJambo

Surely the simple solution would be to say that this season will be played to a finish  when it is safe to do so. Clubs would need to be given a good period of notice, as a pre season would probably need to happen first.

Then we worry about how and when the next season is going to be started and completed. Either this season or the next one is going to affected significantly, so make it the next one, when all clubs know, at the outset, how many games they will be playing and the rules around promotion and relegation.
On players contracts? Legally, clubs probably can’t stop players out of contract from moving to other clubs. So have a small transfer window to cater for this, even if this means having 3 periods within the same season.

This is, hopefully, a once in a lifetime event. It can’t be impossible to come up with a fair plan for every club.

Cant go to court as its against fifa law 59....  2. Recourse to ordinary courts of law is prohibited unless specifically provided for in the FIFA regulations. Recourse to ordinary courts of law for all types of provisional measures is also prohibited

2 minutes ago, b-reed said:

Cant go to court as its against fifa law 59....  2. Recourse to ordinary courts of law is prohibited unless specifically provided for in the FIFA regulations. Recourse to ordinary courts of law for all types of provisional measures is also prohibited

who said the law courts, it could be CAS that we would go for. but also this is an extraordinary situation that even fifa and uefa have no idea what to do so far

Jurisdiction of CAS 1. Appeals against final decisions passed by FIFA’s legal bodies and against decisions passed by confederations, member associations or leagues shall be lodged with CAS within 21 days of receipt of the decision in question. 2. Recourse may only be made to CAS after all other internal channels have been exhausted. 3. CAS, however, does not deal with appeals arising from: (a) violations of the Laws of the Game; (b) suspensions of up to four matches or up to three months (with the exception of doping decisions); (c) decisions against which an appeal to an independent and duly constituted arbitration tribunal recognised under the rules of an association or confederation may be made.

Edited by b-reed

49 minutes ago, OTT said:

Void it, restructure to avoid bad feeling and reassess at the end of that season if new set up is sufficient or if old structure should be reinstated. 

:spoton:

Financial meteor about to land on Scottish Football.

Aw shit.  We have to make a decision.    How can we sort this out....?

EUREKA!!!! Let's relegate some teams.    

12 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

The useless arseholes will send us down, I’m convinced of it now.  

Looking like it. Too much self interest and influence by TV companies.

gashauskis9
1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

I  think we won't be unfairly relegated. 

I hope you are wrong. No offence. 

No offence taken pal. I hope I’m wrong as well.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

The useless arseholes will send us down, I’m convinced of it now.  

Useless arseholes relegated by useless arseholes would be quite fitting.

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, Victorian said:

She's been forced to defend the interests of the club.    

Meanwhile... you've been advocating we accept relegation,   even though this is not within the existing rules,   because we supposedly deserve it,   despite there being every opportunity to avoid it in the 8 games that have been wiped from the league programme.

You are the one who should be difficult to find for a comment.     You should be utterly embarrassed to show yourself given that the club is going to fight for us while fifth columnists like you hope we 'get what we deserve'.

The rest of us don't deserve you.    You should shut your trap.

I bet you like musicals. 

7 hours ago, Victorian said:

Financial meteor about to land on Scottish Football.

Aw shit.  We have to make a decision.    How can we sort this out....?

EUREKA!!!! Let's relegate some teams.    

Exactly. Once the disease is under control and lives are no longer at risk, we are all expected to try and get things back to something resembling normality again. In Scottish Football, clubs will be severely financially crippled due to the months of inactivity...

“lets relegate some teams, despite them them not necessarily being the bottom team had we completed fixtures. You know just to multiply their financial problems ten fold.”

****ing idiots. If they do try this, I hope we sue the shit out of them and cause further delay, pushing other teams under. We should not be the sacrificial lambs.

**** the SPFL

20 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Exactly. Once the disease is under control and lives are no longer at risk, we are all expected to try and get things back to something resembling normality again. In Scottish Football, clubs will be severely financially crippled due to the months of inactivity...

“lets relegate some teams, despite them them not necessarily being the bottom team had we completed fixtures. You know just to multiply their financial problems ten fold.”

****ing idiots. If they do try this, I hope we sue the shit out of them and cause further delay, pushing other teams under. We should not be the sacrificial lambs.

**** the SPFL

Bang on the money 💰 Well said indeed 

5 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I bet you like musicals. 

What does this comment mean?

A_A wehatethehibs

The thing I don’t get is, if we’re looking at relegating a team, there is the small matter of the relegation playoff as well? So whoever is 11th just gets a free pass to stay up? And the teams that have invested to try to get into 2nd 3rd and 4th in the championship don’t get their fair shot at the premiership? 

I don’t see how they can relegate bottom teams but just ignore the playoff

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

18 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The thing I don’t get is, if we’re looking at relegating a team, there is the small matter of the relegation playoff as well? So whoever is 11th just gets a free pass to stay up? And the teams that have invested to try to get into 2nd 3rd and 4th in the championship don’t get their fair shot at the premiership? 

I don’t see how they can relegate bottom teams but just ignore the playoff

I agree.  They cannot say one position is legally valid, but the others are not. 

1st time I've heard anyone refer to an actual rule that says the season can be declared complete after 75% of games are complete.... Qoute from an SPFL board member.   This along with Hearts and Rangers making noises yesterday really worries me.    Surely Budge knows the rules too though.   This is from Sunbe to be fair they are direct qoutes. 

His Accies colleague Les Gray is on the SPFL board, and MacDonald says there are rules in place which would allow the governing bodies to take drastic steps.

'INTEGRITY OF SPORT' Rangers say Celtic CAN'T be declared champions if season isn't finished 

He added: “Once 75 percent of the games have been played, the SPFL’s own rules say they can declare the season completed.

1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

**** the SPFL

We could be unfairly relegated as consequence of the Coronavirus. If clubs go into admin due to the Coronavirus then they must still enforce the 15 point admin penalty.

This is an unprecedented situation. If the teams vote and the majority agree to relegate one and bypass the playoff then they can do it. I think every other team in the premiership would vote yes except Hearts and Rangers (and only because Rangers are desperate to stop 9 in a row)

19 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

We could be unfairly relegated as consequence of the Coronavirus. If clubs go into admin due to the Coronavirus then they must still enforce the 15 point admin penalty.

If we get relegated when there is such uncertainty over future ability to trade, we could well end up going in to administration further down the line, as a consequence of a series of events set in motion by relegation, inability to trade, and reduced income streams. If we entered admin as a result five years later once everyone had moved on from coronavirus, we would not be cut any slack. Should clubs who go in to admin straight away be given preferential treatment?

9 minutes ago, Defender said:

This is an unprecedented situation. If the teams vote and the majority agree to relegate one and bypass the playoff then they can do it. I think every other team in the premiership would vote yes except Hearts and Rangers (and only because Rangers are desperate to stop 9 in a row)

If that is the case, then we cause them massive problems by dragging it through the courts. 

Captain Canada

The most sensible thing for all teams is to restructure the leagues so we all have extra games next season. This will help make up for lost revenue and ensure many clubs survive financially. 

Fozzyonthefence
44 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

1st time I've heard anyone refer to an actual rule that says the season can be declared complete after 75% of games are complete.... Qoute from an SPFL board member.   This along with Hearts and Rangers making noises yesterday really worries me.    Surely Budge knows the rules too though.   This is from Sunbe to be fair they are direct qoutes. 

His Accies colleague Les Gray is on the SPFL board, and MacDonald says there are rules in place which would allow the governing bodies to take drastic steps.

'INTEGRITY OF SPORT' Rangers say Celtic CAN'T be declared champions if season isn't finished 

He added: “Once 75 percent of the games have been played, the SPFL’s own rules say they can declare the season completed.

Sounds like we’re ****ed then, doubt he will be making up that rule but surprised no journalists or anyone has done their research and dug this up but there again it’s Scottish football journalists we’re talking about.

Champonship it is then, whenever next season starts.  To be honest, I’m getting past caring, football should be pretty insignificant at the moment other than to the people whose income depends on it.

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Sounds like we’re ****ed then, doubt he will be making up that rule but surprised no journalists or anyone has done their research and dug this up but there again it’s Scottish football journalists we’re talking about.

Champonship it is then, whenever next season starts.  To be honest, I’m getting past caring, football should be pretty insignificant at the moment other than to the people whose income depends on it.

Thankfully the club does still care, and is going to fight to head off the potential financial meltdown it could cause us.

Bazzas right boot

That 75% rule is maybe  only logical in a league with no split. 

In a league with a daft split like others the 75% rule makes no sense, the two halves aren't even decided on that %, never mind relegation or titles. 

The Treasurer
27 minutes ago, Defender said:

I'm not so sure all teams would vote to relegate us.

When this is all over every team will have taken a hit and be looking to strengthen their finances wherever possible.

Relegating one of the biggest supported clubs would not make financial sense.

3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

When this is all over every team will have taken a hit and be looking to strengthen their finances wherever possible.

Yeah but it's like toilet rolls.  When it comes down to it nobody gives a shit about anyone else.  

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Yeah but it's like toilet rolls.  When it comes down to it nobody gives a shit about anyone else.  

That's my point.

All clubs will look after number one.

So, as long as it doesn't mean their club will go down, they will more likely want a club with one of the biggest travelling supports to remain in the league.

6 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

They would probably just up the amount of tickets they sell to the old firm from 3/4 to 7/8 to make up the shortfall.

43 minutes ago, Defender said:

If that's the case they won't get to the magic number of 90%. The only decision I can see reaching that figure would be a 14 team league with Rangers the only dissenting voice with regards 9iar.

Ideally, the league should start from where it left off when football reconvenes. If clubs go under because of the financial hit, tough. Extraordinary circumstances will result in casualties. I think that's fairer though than handing out titles and demotions to save a few tin pot clubs like Hamilton.

Sporting integrity should be the ultimate goal and I reckon that'll be UEFA's directive. 

I (briefly) read the SPFL rules yesterday. A few things:

1. there’s no rule about 75% of games as far as I can see. I don’t know where that’s come from.

2. whether to call the season done/void is going to be at the discretion of the SPFL board, not all 12 clubs. From the premiership, the board are represented by Rangers, Motherwell and Hamilton. Not sure Hamilton should be voting on any measure that might relegate us, but you could say the same about Rangers voting on Celtic getting 9 in a row.

3. the biggest issue for us might be that “season” is defined as being the period after the last game is played “or otherwise as determined by the board”. The rules also say that every team is to play 38 games “disregarding any abandoned or postponed matches”.

4. our rules might be totally different to those of other countries, so it’s not a given that everyone will employ a consistent fix. I think UEFA would ideally prefer that everyone did, but it’s probably not realistic due to differing financial positions/needs for insurance/broadcasting contracts etc.

I think the board probably are within their rights to call the season now. Whether they should do is a totally different thing - they could just as easily call it void and I think that would make more sense.

There will be arguments we can make (and we should) but I don’t think it’s a given that threatening to lawyer up will prevent the board from calling it done if they’re determined to do it anyway.

The Treasurer
10 minutes ago, JyTees said:

If that's the case they won't get to the magic number of 90%. The only decision I can see reaching that figure would be a 14 team league with Rangers the only dissenting voice with regards 9iar.

Ideally, the league should start from where it left off when football reconvenes. If clubs go under because of the financial hit, tough. Extraordinary circumstances will result in casualties. I think that's fairer though than handing out titles and demotions to save a few tin pot clubs like Hamilton.

Sporting integrity should be the ultimate goal and I reckon that'll be UEFA's directive. 

The SFA and the SPFL might need to look that up in the dictionary

20 minutes ago, Bellion said:

I (briefly) read the SPFL rules yesterday. A few things:

1. there’s no rule about 75% of games as far as I can see. I don’t know where that’s come from.

2. whether to call the season done/void is going to be at the discretion of the SPFL board, not all 12 clubs. From the premiership, the board are represented by Rangers, Motherwell and Hamilton. Not sure Hamilton should be voting on any measure that might relegate us, but you could say the same about Rangers voting on Celtic getting 9 in a row.

3. the biggest issue for us might be that “season” is defined as being the period after the last game is played “or otherwise as determined by the board”. The rules also say that every team is to play 38 games “disregarding any abandoned or postponed matches”.

4. our rules might be totally different to those of other countries, so it’s not a given that everyone will employ a consistent fix. I think UEFA would ideally prefer that everyone did, but it’s probably not realistic due to differing financial positions/needs for insurance/broadcasting contracts etc.

I think the board probably are within their rights to call the season now. Whether they should do is a totally different thing - they could just as easily call it void and I think that would make more sense.

There will be arguments we can make (and we should) but I don’t think it’s a given that threatening to lawyer up will prevent the board from calling it done if they’re determined to do it anyway.

re point 2 you could also add motherwell possibly should not be voting as it would give them third

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

re point 2 you could also add motherwell possibly should not be voting as it would give them third

Agreed.  Nobody's neutral.  The difficulty is that I think everyone on the board bar Rangers (the others are Ayr, Dunfermline and Brechin) will be mainly concerned with how to avoid going under.  That means getting insurers to pay out, so they're not going to hit pause until later in the year.  It then becomes about which is more of a farce: null and void or calling it now.  Both are pretty bad.    

7 minutes ago, Bellion said:

Agreed.  Nobody's neutral.  The difficulty is that I think everyone on the board bar Rangers (the others are Ayr, Dunfermline and Brechin) will be mainly concerned with how to avoid going under.  That means getting insurers to pay out, so they're not going to hit pause until later in the year.  It then becomes about which is more of a farce: null and void or calling it now.  Both are pretty bad.    

Think Rangers will be concerned at that as well...

16 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Exactly why , as AB stated , it should be all clubs involved in any decisions

Just now, karipidis said:

Think Rangers will be concerned at that as well...

Probably, but I wouldn't underestimate how much they'll be focused on trying to delay 9 in a row.