They Can't Relegate Us (Legally)

JJ93

HardcoreJambo

If the league season is cut short and we are relegated due to where we are in the current league standings, that will just top of the worst season I have experienced as a Hearts supporter. I'm still trying to recovery from the tragedy that was Tuesday night. We had better put in a good legal battle if this does transpire to be true.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

HR Puffinstuff

Season over. No relegation. 2 promoted from each league below. 3 relegated next season. Championships shared between teams who can still mathematically win them.

5 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

5 hours ago, GorgieRules22 said:

What a load of shite

4 hours ago, indianajones said:

Just been linked this.

Total pish.

It’s not pish. It is likely that it would take a PM statement like this to make a blanket decision on all leagues. Otherwise it would be mental with all associations coming up with differing scenarios .

Its not right but that roaster will 100% come up with this 

If we are to be relegated we will take it with dignity and move

on although very unfair and also the same goes for all the

other teams in the same position throughout the uk

3 hours ago, HardcoreJambo said:

If the league season is cut short and we are relegated due to where we are in the current league standings, that will just top of the worst season I have experienced as a Hearts supporter. I'm still trying to recovery from the tragedy that was Tuesday night. We had better put in a good legal battle if this does transpire to be true.

Why?   Do you think these players can save us from relegation

We deserve what we get

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Why?   Do you think these players can save us from relegation

We deserve what we get

On the pitch you're right we do but do we deserve the likes of Dungcaster deciding our fate? 

Funny how the English sun never ran this. Would Aston Villa etc accept this given the financial fallout. If the story is to be believed Boris is going to make a blanket ruling, but they don't run it in the English sun. 

I wouldn't believe a word that is printed in that rag of a paper. This story is pandering to Celtic title narrative. Not saying we aren't awful, but the season isn't re starting any time soon. 

One thing is clear. 
It’s not clear! 
If there was clarity in the rules, it would have come out by now. 
so it will be someone making a call on what is done. This will clearly be open to legal challenge. 
We could argue that basing it on current standings is unfair and inequitable based on at least two grounds : - 

1.  Not all teams have played against the same opposition eg some have played Old Firm more than other 

2.  Hearts invested during the window to boost their position in the League. This has yet to be played out. 

The fact we have done better against Rangers than any other team this season and whether the money invested has helped or hindered is irrelevant. Can’t prove what hasn’t happened. 

Think we have a reasonable case. Also, the much berated Budge will be a great help in taking forward litigation and seeing us through the financial challenge of this. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
23 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

Funny how the English sun never ran this. Would Aston Villa etc accept this given the financial fallout. If the story is to be believed Boris is going to make a blanket ruling, but they don't run it in the English sun. 

I wouldn't believe a word that is printed in that rag of a paper. This story is pandering to Celtic title narrative. Not saying we aren't awful, but the season isn't re starting any time soon. 

This

kingantti1874

Apparently boris to step in and declare season over so the league can pay out prize money - means we are down ( source is the sun) 🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Apparently boris to step in and declare season over so the league can pay out prize money - means we are down ( source is the sun) 🤦‍♂️

Yep,   I heard they took the responsible approach this time though.    Phoned number 10,  and just got lucky.    Boris took their call and the had a good chat about Scottish football and he did mention what he thought should happen about titles and relegation.   Great insight from The Sun 😉

The S*n only care about clicks and ad revenue. They’ll write whatever they want to achieve that. 

Any league decisions surely come from UEFA so it is standard across the associations in their realm. Otherwise it opens up a can of worms and legal action all over. 

Ainsley Harriott

Definitely nothing in the rule book that says if we end the season early we will just relegate who ever is sitting bottom. I cant see how they can do it. Other clubs in the SpLs finances aren't our concern and theres no way we should accept being demoted with 8 games left.

3 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Definitely nothing in the rule book that says if we end the season early we will just relegate who ever is sitting bottom. I cant see how they can do it. Other clubs in the SpLs finances aren't our concern and theres no way we should accept being demoted with 8 games left.

I suspect if there is no rule for this scenario , one will be made up.  If there is one, it could be altered.  The men in suits have form for making up, or changing rules.  

12 hours ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Sky may fold. Billions out but nothing to show, are the club's going to hand back the cash? Who has sky for news or movies, this is Netflix Amazon nirvana.

Sky have to be in a panic..

no masters, no tennis, no F1, no cricket, 

What about ICT,Dundee and Ayr? If the season gets concluded early, then surely these teams have the right to a playoff for the chance of promotion. 
So it would basically be, screw over some teams but not others.

Stendelsarmy
3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

It’s not pish. It is likely that it would take a PM statement like this to make a blanket decision on all leagues. Otherwise it would be mental with all associations coming up with differing scenarios .

This is pish:

SPFL board member and Hamilton Accies vice-chairman Les Gray confirmed that position during a TV interview.

He said: “I don’t think the season can ever be made null and void.

“After 30 games, if you make the season null and void — season-ticket holders are entitled to their money back for a start.

“The broadcaster could say the season never happened and want their money back.

It is pish since when did the PM ever intervene in the ways any sport is run... there are sporting bodies that govern that. The PM could declare that there be no more football played this season... but I very much doubt he would decide anything related to actual football matters that would as said be left to the football governing bodies.

ToadKiller Dog
14 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

What about ICT,Dundee and Ayr? If the season gets concluded early, then surely these teams have the right to a playoff for the chance of promotion. 
So it would basically be, screw over some teams but not others.

They are coming from a position where they stand still rather than go backwards in terms of league position if the season in cancelled .

To me the sensible option is the promotion only idea ,which the spfl will now discuss as the idea has been put forward and got enough support from clubs to be looked at as an alternative  if season has to be ended.early .

39 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Question is, would they do it if it was one of the old firm

Can I just add something that is actually relevant ... sport in Scotland is a devolved matter it is up to the Scottish parliament what happens when decisions are made!

Of course it's pish . Governments have the power to stop gatherings of over 500 for example (this was introduced by Holyrood not Westminster btw) .

They clearly do not have the power to decide relegation etc .

I'm astounded anybody would actually believe this shet

David McCaig
18 minutes ago, Stendelsarmy said:

This is pish:

SPFL board member and Hamilton Accies vice-chairman Les Gray confirmed that position during a TV interview.

He said: “I don’t think the season can ever be made null and void.

“After 30 games, if you make the season null and void — season-ticket holders are entitled to their money back for a start.

“The broadcaster could say the season never happened and want their money back.

I think in any scenario, season ticket holders could only ever be entitled to a refund on the games that weren't played.

And this is in a league where you don't get a refund if you only get 18 home games instead of 19 in a season!!

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

I think in any scenario, season ticket holders could only ever be entitled to a refund on the games that weren't played.

And this is in a league where you don't get a refund if you only get 18 home games instead of 19 in a season!!

Rather than a refund on games that didn't take place, I would be happy with a discount on my season ticket for the next 2 seasons, spread so the club don't take too much of a hit.

Someone at The Scottish Sun has decided that a global pandemic that has already claimed many lives, and is causing fear and misery to many others, is a great opportunity to try and rattle a sabre at Hearts supporters.

STOP. READING. THE. SUN.

maroonedinoz

I can’t see how, if the season has started, that it can called completed mid season.

a bit like half baking a cake and eating it.

better to completely abandon the season and start again next season, than to have a hotch  potch ‘solution’  that is based on convenience.

David McCaig
Just now, kila said:

Rather than a refund on games that didn't take place, I would be happy with a discount on my season ticket for the next 2 seasons, spread so the club don't take too much of a hit.

I wouldn't want any refund at all, as I wouldn't want to financially damage my club.

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

I wouldn't want any refund at all, as I wouldn't want to financially damage my club.

I think if I was Ann Budgie, I would probably refund supporters any remaining unplayed games, out of my own pocket.

That’s just if it was me, and I had the money to do it. No idea if her personal wealth will be affected by the current crisis.

Ibrahim Tall
49 minutes ago, Mundaydog said:

Sky will be fine, as you’ve said there’s no ‘live sport’, no open bars, no clubs, no restaurants open etc. Sky/Netflix/Prime etc will make a fortune as people have **** all else to do.

heartsfc_fan

I'd be surprised if they finish the league as is.

I think it will resume around June/July time for 5 weeks or so to compete the games.

Next season's League cup will be scrapped to help with the overlap into next season

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, kila said:

The S*n only care about clicks and ad revenue. They’ll write whatever they want to achieve that. 

Any league decisions surely come from UEFA so it is standard across the associations in their realm. Otherwise it opens up a can of worms and legal action all over. 

No, individual league decisions don’t come from UEFA so it will be up to SPFL. Boris would only be giving guidance that the season will not restart, not about who wins what it gets relegated.

The arguments in that article about the reasons for not declaring the season null and void were ridiculous (especially about broadcasters wanting refunds because the season never happened) as they could also apply to dishing out titles, promotion and relegation after 30 games - there will still be litigation, ST holders wanting refunds, etc.  And how could they relegate the likes of Partick or Aston Villa who are both 2 points behind with a game in hand which, if they win would move them out the relegation zone.

I understand that prize money will need to be dished out and surely they can do that on current league positions but tithes, etc is another matter.

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, Albert McFly said:

Can't get relegated when 1 or 2 teams go in to administration and have 20 point deductions 

That wouldn’t take effect until next season.

9 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I think it will resume around June/July time for 5 weeks or so to compete the games.

Next season's League cup will be scrapped to help with the overlap into next season

Don't think Betfred would be happy with that.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I don't, player contracts end in may so clubs wouldn't have their full registered squads available. They'd need to allow another transfer window which would be against the spirit of the competition and favour the richer clubs.

1 hour ago, Mundaydog said:

Here's an idea for them, they could provide live coverage of golf competitions at my local club. Can't see these being called off - definitely less than 500 people involved, outside, lots of space between the players (usually one lost in the deep rough, one flailing away in a bunker, you get the picture). Would be comedy viewing for the public, and the bookies would love it. They could have in-play bets on whether that player will take a double digit number of putts on the tricky 3rd green, will that old guy actually make it up the hilly 10th fairway, how much (if any) sand will be left in that bunker when that player finally gets his ball out, etc..... They really don't need the EPL, Masters, Test Match Cricket et al, just a bit of lateral thinking.

Edited by tynewater

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Don't think Betfred would be happy with that.

Will the bookies survive this period of inactivity? Still games in parts of the world to bet on and horses but the bulk of the stuff is suspended

David McCaig
14 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

You do realise this hasn't even started yet and mid-June is forecast to be when infection reaches its peak!!

Five to One
4 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

You do realise this hasn't even started yet and mid-June is forecast to be when infection reaches its peak!!

mentioned this yesterday. Folk just don’t appreciate the impact this will have and for how long. Even saying August/September for football being back is incredibly optimistic. 

Fozzyonthefence

Goes to show just how important that game at St Mirren could end up being.  We’d be looking at a play off at worst now if we’d won (likely there won’t be any play off though, so probably safe).  And we just didn’t turn up.  

In some ways we really do deserve to be relegated, but not in terms of sporting integrity.  Other teams such as Partick and Villa would have even stronger arguments than us though, they’ve not even played the same number of games and would be safe if they win their game in hand.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

No one would ever be convicted of anything in a court of law after only 80% of the evidence. 

Farcical to suggest we accept a verdict of relegation at this point in the season. 

Patrick will be mightily pissed if they are relegated with a game in hand.

I hope Ann has been in touch with the Chief Execs of Dundee, Inverness, Ayr, Partick, Falkirk, Airdrie, Montrose, Stranraer, Edinburgh City, Elgin, Cowdenbeath,  Brechin, Brora, Kelty and so on about a joint legal challenge if it is called as it is. 

Some will be more keen to get involved of course but will need a quick response if it is not in our favour

22 minutes ago, Five to One said:

mentioned this yesterday. Folk just don’t appreciate the impact this will have and for how long. Even saying August/September for football being back is incredibly optimistic. 

Exactly, especially with their “herd immunity” tactic and flattening the curve they are prolonging this it could last until Christmas.

How do you get round Brechin being bottom of the league anyway? Cant fit in a playoff so they stay up? One made up outcome for one division but another for another division?

If it comes to Hearts being handed a horseshit sandwich for our lunch on this then it's litigation time.    In the highly unlikely event that the club indicate's that it will not take legal action then the fans will insist on it.    We'll need to put the thumb screws on to make sure it happens.     

NaturalOrder74

In the premier league there would be a team relegated on goal difference with a good ten games to go 😂 that would cost English teams millions and millions of pounds and there is absolutely no way they’re going to accept going down so there’s no chance that’ll happen down there and no chance it’ll happen up here