They Can't Relegate Us (Legally)

JJ93

drumie jambo

Scrap relegation

Top 2 in each division as it stands promoted. Brora and Kelty Hearts promoted with no play off required. At the end of next season 3 down each division with 1 up only.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Stendelsarmy
1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

I think in any scenario, season ticket holders could only ever be entitled to a refund on the games that weren't played.

And this is in a league where you don't get a refund if you only get 18 home games instead of 19 in a season!!

Absolutely. And the TV broadcasters can't ask for a refund on matches already shown. Yet it all went unchallenged by the idiots on Sportsound

Stendelsarmy
1 hour ago, maroonedinoz said:

I can’t see how, if the season has started, that it can called completed mid season.

a bit like half baking a cake and eating it.

better to completely abandon the season and start again next season, than to have a hotch  potch ‘solution’  that is based on convenience.

Basically because it suits Celtic.

We will be unfortunate collateral damage

If there’s any attempt to relegate us without all 38 games being played, the clubs response should be simple - lawyer up bitches! Take it through the courts for as long as is necessary. Good luck to the SPFL getting that resolved quickly. 

11 minutes ago, Stendelsarmy said:

Absolutely. And the TV broadcasters can't ask for a refund on matches already shown. Yet it all went unchallenged by the idiots on Sportsound

If the tv broadcasters did think this, then using the same argument, subscribers could also ask for their subscriptions back. 

SectionDJambo

Unless I've missed it, Rangers have been very quiet on this. Lennon and Brown shouting their mouths off, like Celtic are the only club that anyone should be considering. Rangers could argue that they could very well win their game in hand and the 2 old firm games, reducing the deficit to just 4 points.

If I was a Celtic fan, which I'm eternally grateful for not being, I'd be concerned at what they're up to. 

There's so much to consider over this, that whatever decision that gets reached it's unlikely to make every club happy.

44 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

How do you get round Brechin being bottom of the league anyway? Cant fit in a playoff so they stay up? One made up outcome for one division but another for another division?

Play offs too. Is it Hamilton relegated and Inverness up? Etc. 

9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Play offs too. Is it Hamilton relegated and Inverness up? Etc. 

Why Inverness? Looks like trying to play opal the playoff rounds is almost impossible 

There are two strands at play.

1.   The ability / will to reorganise and mitigate for the continued existence of Scottish Football.

2.   The self-interested personal agenda of one entity to have a practically meaningless number increased by 1 (number of titles on a roll of honours),   as well as the highly likely counter-agenda of another self-interested entity to prevent a number inceasing by 1.

Just think about these things.    Any sane person would determine the important thing and ignore the unimportant thing.    But what are the chances of the unimportant thing being cast aside in order to concentrate all best efforts towards the important thing?

Nil.

The damaging,  perverse agendas will be pursued to high heaven and there are no people in authority or in the media who will attempt to curtail it.

6 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Why Inverness? Looks like trying to play opal the playoff rounds is almost impossible 

Inverness are 2nd.

23 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Unless I've missed it, Rangers have been very quiet on this. Lennon and Brown shouting their mouths off, like Celtic are the only club that anyone should be considering. Rangers could argue that they could very well win their game in hand and the 2 old firm games, reducing the deficit to just 4 points.

If I was a Celtic fan, which I'm eternally grateful for not being, I'd be concerned at what they're up to. 

There's so much to consider over this, that whatever decision that gets reached it's unlikely to make every club happy.

If Rangers are to spend any more time in the courts, they’d be as well selling season tickets for the gallery instead of Ibrox.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

The Sun have had some ridiculous headlines in their time but that takes the biscuit. If they think the PM has the jurisdiction to decide the winners and losers of football competitions then it’s an even worse rag than we thought.

granted, HM Govt might be taking steps re the formal prohibition of large gatherings (the football associations’ current suspension is voluntary) and this might effectively put the nail in the coffin of any chance of completing league seasons depending when the prohibition last until (or it might not, other headlines suggest Euros being delayed to December or next year to allow domestic seasons to be completed).

even if the football seasons are finished with no chance of completion, it’s then a matter for individual football associations to determine what that might mean (granted, I wouldn’t put it past a buffoon like Johnson making some flippant comment on what he thinks that should mean regarding football etc, but as someone who probably couldn’t name a handful of Liverpool players, he is hardly an authority on football) 

Edited by Steve_Jersey_HMFC

15 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

That belongs on Vermin.net. Sergy and Greenminger would be proud of that.. FTH.

I am just being honest. I have been a Hearts fan all my life and the truth can often hurt. That doesn';t make me or anyone else who is giving their honest opinion a Hibs fan. Grow up for gods sake.

Gorgie_Rules

Couple of big issues with expanding the league - TV companies won’t be happy as won’t have their 4 Rangers v Celtic games - could end contracts (which wouldn’t be a bad thing), but the SPFL/SFA will never risk that.

Secondly, clubs will have a reduced amount of category A games which makes it hard for clubs to justify charging the same price for season tickets (lifeblood of 99% of clubs) - unless clubs are happy to play at least 42 league games  next season

This is an unthinkable mess for them to sort out and there is zero faith in those that make the decisions

4 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Couple of big issues with expanding the league - TV companies won’t be happy as won’t have their 4 Rangers v Celtic games - could end contracts (which wouldn’t be a bad thing), but the SPFL/SFA will never risk that.

Secondly, clubs will have a reduced amount of category A games which makes it hard for clubs to justify charging the same price for season tickets (lifeblood of 99% of clubs) - unless clubs are happy to play at least 42 league games  next season

This is an unthinkable mess for them to sort out and there is zero faith in those that make the decisions

A 14 team league with a 7/7 or 6/8 split still features all of those things.

Interestingly, I notice there is a precedent for this in the Yugoslavian league in 1999. The season was stopped after 24 games and Partizan Belgrade (top at the time) were awarded the title but no-one was relegated. Instead, they promoted three teams and went with a temporary 21 team league the season after.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998–99_First_League_of_FR_Yugoslavia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999–2000_First_League_of_FR_Yugoslavia

Gorgie_Rules
1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

Interestingly, I notice there is a precedent for this in the Yugoslavian league in 1999. The season was stopped after 24 games and Partizan Belgrade (top at the time) were awarded the title but no-one was relegated. Instead, they promoted three teams and went with a temporary 21 team league the season after.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998–99_First_League_of_FR_Yugoslavia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999–2000_First_League_of_FR_Yugoslavia

True, retaining a split is only way it would work - I believe the same thing previously happened in an South American league and they also went with the no relegation approach.

The only problem that leaves though is who will the 2nd team be from the Championship - Dundee and Ayr are within 5 points of ICT with 27 to play for.

2 hours ago, tynewater said:

Here's an idea for them, they could provide live coverage of golf competitions at my local club. Can't see these being called off - definitely less than 500 people involved, outside, lots of space between the players (usually one lost in the deep rough, one flailing away in a bunker, you get the picture). Would be comedy viewing for the public, and the bookies would love it. They could have in-play bets on whether that player will take a double digit number of putts on the tricky 3rd green, will that old guy actually make it up the hilly 10th fairway, how much (if any) sand will be left in that bunker when that player finally gets his ball out, etc..... They really don't need the EPL, Masters, Test Match Cricket et al, just a bit of lateral thinking.

I like your thinking. I would suggest my local bowling club as well but old folk are the most at risk

Stendelsarmy
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

And rightly so. It's the same argument that applies to us. Who is to say we wouldn't have went on to win most of our remaining games? Who is to say Rangers wouldn't beat Celtic twice? 

You can't just call a season to an end early and declare someone champion or declare a team relegated. Would need to be declared void and start again.

2 hours ago, stuart500 said:

No one would ever be convicted of anything in a court of law after only 80% of the evidence. 

Farcical to suggest we accept a verdict of relegation at this point in the season. 

Spot on, the only people suggesting this on here are obviously Hibbys, the forum is obviously reeking of them with regards to this subject, no real Hearts fan would volunteer us for relegation with 8 games to play

1 hour ago, drumie jambo said:

Scrap relegation

Top 2 in each division as it stands promoted. Brora and Kelty Hearts promoted with no play off required. At the end of next season 3 down each division with 1 up only.

Ultimately, the SPFL board will decide and we’ll all have to accept that they are not acting out of self interest, otherwise it’ll never be resolved.

Personally, I’d like to finish this season whenever that is possible and then decide what the options for next season are after that. That just seems the most equitable way, even if squads or even managers change before the .

There are plenty of options available, but most Scottish clubs rely heavily on gate receipts so we can’t lose too many games from the schedule.
I think your suggestion has merit, but would still like to see the playoffs offer a second promotion place in some way.

Tricky...

Scotland will end up following England's example, whatever that might be.  If Boris wants to consider us a united Kingdom then measures need to be seen to be unbiased, despite what the green brigade want.

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I don't, player contracts end in may so clubs wouldn't have their full registered squads available. They'd need to allow another transfer window which would be against the spirit of the competition and favour the richer clubs.

Lawyer on SkySportsNews said the clubs would most likely be able to negotiate contract extensions for existing players to play an extra month or two but wouldn’t be able to sign additional players.

2 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Scotland will end up following England's example, whatever that might be.  If Boris wants to consider us a united Kingdom then measures need to be seen to be unbiased, despite what the green brigade want.

I hope not. I can’t see Liverpool being denied the EPL title. If same rules applied we would go down and Celtic would be champions.

Kirky Jambo

This may have been mentioned already, but remember Celtic’s position when they lost 6-1 to Legia Warsaw and were asked to do the honourable thing?

they really are a despicable institution.

I’m not that concerned if they called a finish to the season now. The evidence would suggest we’re going to be relegated anyway and it gives us a convenient excuse when the spoon burners inevitably try and wind us up. 

14 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Spot on, the only people suggesting this on here are obviously Hibbys, the forum is obviously reeking of them with regards to this subject, no real Hearts fan would volunteer us for relegation with 8 games to play

Sadly not.    There's at least one who is 100% a long term Hearts fan.    

The added irony is that he has been very critical of the club on several occasions... and now advocates the club simply accepting relegation on the basis of it being deserved.

Some of our so-called supporters have been away from their home planets for too long.

3 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

I’m not that concerned if they called a finish to the season now. The evidence would suggest we’re going to be relegated anyway and it gives us a convenient excuse when the spoon burners inevitably try and wind us up. 

Couldn’t give a flying **** what you are your Hibs mate think, you cannot relegate a team when there is still over  20% of the season stil to play

as was referred to on last nights 5live, the likes of  Norwich Villa Bournemouth etc would have a cast iron legal case if they were to be relegated at this stage of the season, same with Hearts, Patrick Thistle etc.

3 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Couldn’t give a flying **** what you are your Hibs mate think, you cannot relegate a team when there is still over  20% of the season stil to play

as was referred to on last nights 5live, the likes of  Norwich Villa Bournemouth etc would have a cast iron legal case if they were to be relegated at this stage of the season, same with Hearts, Patrick Thistle etc.

The only thing I’d say is that the league would be able to give them a shed load of compensation money. Us not so much.

58 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Secondly, clubs will have a reduced amount of category A games which makes it hard for clubs to justify charging the same price for season tickets

Never bought in to this argument. I go along to watch Hearts, not to marvel at the opposition. 

glynnlondon

I'd bet a fair whack if this had happened with sevco at the top of the championship they'd be expanding the league for next season with no relegation

The White Cockade
8 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

The only problem is that the rules are so vague, they can basically do what they want.

Yes desperate for us not to go down but 

illegal?

doubt there is anything in the law about football relegation 

and to be honest if thousands die then there are far more important worries than football 

if we do play the remaining fixtures fire anybody actually believe we would stay up?

Horatio Caine
3 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Patrick will be mightily pissed if they are relegated with a game in hand.

I hope Ann has been in touch with the Chief Execs of Dundee, Inverness, Ayr, Partick, Falkirk, Airdrie, Montrose, Stranraer, Edinburgh City, Elgin, Cowdenbeath,  Brechin, Brora, Kelty and so on about a joint legal challenge if it is called as it is. 

Some will be more keen to get involved of course but will need a quick response if it is not in our favour

Doubt if any of them will be up for it - legal challenges cost money and that's exactly what none of these clubs will have.

bigsuperslim1874

If sky/BT were to put blockers up for any solutions which is for the best (whatever that may be) then the PR fallout would be something. Just say there is a general agreement which sees everyone ‘happy’ resulting in an expanded league and it falters as ‘sky’ don’t get their extra games with the bigot brothers there would be a right old kick-off.

My opinion? All contracts should have special dispensation to cover however long the suspension is in place for and then play season to the end. Next season (whenever that starts will either be truncated or we move to a new schedule of season (October to July, November to September or whatever).

3 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Only quoting you for convenience DC...

A split does NOT guarantee 4 ugly sisters' games. That's why, for me, the telly contract is one of the  biggest lumps of horseshite imaginable.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Lawyer on SkySportsNews said the clubs would most likely be able to negotiate contract extensions for existing players to play an extra month or two but wouldn’t be able to sign additional players.

Which is fine in theory, but as soon as a couple of them don't fancy it, or their parent club doesn't for loanees, it's a complicated picture. Avdijaj, Langer and Joel could all leave and who knows what difference they could have made. 

Then you've got all the holidays that players have booked, who's paying to cancel them?

It's too ugly, I can't see it.

4 hours ago, Victorian said:

If it comes to Hearts being handed a horseshit sandwich for our lunch on this then it's litigation time.    In the highly unlikely event that the club indicate's that it will not take legal action then the fans will insist on it.    We'll need to put the thumb screws on to make sure it happens.     

This 100%... if this fails to happen I will stop my FOH payment and 2 season tickets (35years) we cannot be allowed to be walked over by a corrupt institution 

5 minutes ago, Boof said:

Only quoting you for convenience DC...

A split does NOT guarantee 4 ugly sisters' games. That's why, for me, the telly contract is one of the  biggest lumps of horseshite imaginable.

Chances of Rangers being in the bottom 7 next season? Would the SFA and their refs even allow such a scenario? :whistling:

IveSeenTheLight
5 hours ago, stuart500 said:

No one would ever be convicted of anything in a court of law after only 80% of the evidence. 

Farcical to suggest we accept a verdict of relegation at this point in the season. 

I get the Hearts position, it seems quite strong.

There are so many factors affecting whatever decision they make, it really is a tough one.

I don't agree with the null and void one to be honest as you shouldn't scrap a season when 80% of the games have been played, but neither should Hearts be relegated when they could get off bottom spot,

We don;t know how long that the football will be stopped. Some experts say it will be May / June time, meaning we need to be way past peak before it restarts.

Assuming the peak is June (3 months from now), you'd anticipate that there would be another 3 months post peak, so mid to end September.

For me, they need to look at resuming the league whenever they can (let's presume October), and complete the remaining games (Scottish cup) by the year end. (Shortened break (2 weeks) between this years league competition and next seasons as there are only 8 or 9 games to go).

The Scottish cup could be held over two weekends (Semi and Final)

If there is a European competition resumed, Scottish club participants remain as last years participants (Celtic, SevCo, Kilmarnock, Hearts).

Then as next season is to start so late, consider making it a straight 22 game season, play each other twice, no split, for just one season. this may allow time for the Scottish Cup (priority) and League Cup (secondary). Cups to be straight knockout, no replays. 

The other issue with extending players contracts is that, for some clubs, they have adequate finances for thos season, including player contracts, they will incur extra expenses with no additional income and for that reason I don't see it working 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Petrie/ Lawwell and the rest  of the mafia will take great delight in sticking the dagger into us. Interesting times ahead in would imagine. 

5 hours ago, Victorian said:

If it comes to Hearts being handed a horseshit sandwich for our lunch on this then it's litigation time.    In the highly unlikely event that the club indicate's that it will not take legal action then the fans will insist on it.    We'll need to put the thumb screws on to make sure it happens.     

OHH HELL YEAH!!!! AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!!!. 

23 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

This 100%... if this fails to happen I will stop my FOH payment and 2 season tickets (35years) we cannot be allowed to be walked over by a corrupt institution 

OHH HELL YEAH!!!! AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!!!. 

IveSeenTheLight
11 minutes ago, Bozi said:

The other issue with extending players contracts is that, for some clubs, they have adequate finances for thos season, including player contracts, they will incur extra expenses with no additional income and for that reason I don't see it working 

I think that is an option for clubs.

If the season is restarted, they should have to play with the squad registered at the time.

If that means teams have to rely more on their youth set up then so be it.

It still benefits the larger clubs, but that has to be an acceptable position.

If you allow another transfer window it encroached on the integrity of the season further and only further supports the larger clubs.

Any new players signed should only be eligible for the next season

gashauskis9

I’m not overly concerned about the contract situation.  If this impacts all the main leagues in the world then everyone’s in the same boat.