Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

Roxy Hearts
4 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

But Scotland will be out of the UK.

Yes, but we will still use Sterling. It's the scaremongering I'm having a go at. 

6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

This  brings me back to my point, how can there still be this confusion for some, me and others I suspect,?

I'd have thought the SNP would be shouting thier plans for the currency from the roof tops.

If it's as simple, relatively, as some sensible posters have painted it, obviously the nuances would have to be ironed out, but a plan at least would put this to bed.

They have voted to go with our own currency as soon as practicable. We’d have to form our own Scottish central bank but in the meantime if need be we can use Sterling without the say so of the U.K. government. We could use the dollar, euro and sterling if we wished. Wouldn’t need our own currency. Would have the opportunity to deregulate the banks and return to the free banking model. Downside is no lender of last resort.

To keep using Sterling in some deal with the rest of the U.K. will lead to problems. No way we’d be able to access central bank and make independent financial decisions. 

The last is adopt the euro. 

Edited by Des Lynam

manaliveits105
8 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

I did say that with Brexit and all the auld duffers turning to worm food that independence was inevitable?

and there we have the main natsy  party hope and policy for independence is that some of their No voting older countrymen and women have popped their clogs by now - disgusting 

they might just get a surprise despite covid 

God bless the 2014 55 

36 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

and there we have the main natsy  party hope and policy for independence is that some of their No voting older countrymen and women have popped their clogs by now - disgusting 

they might just get a surprise despite covid 

God bless the 2014 55 

If that was the case they'd have let covid do its worst. But they didn't, did they. 

Take away the 900,000 no votes from rUK and EU citizens. Feck the traitor %

Edited by ri Alban

10 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Do you actually read the thread or just come on to lie and spout utter drivel you have no idea about?

https://theferret.scot/scotland-deficit-3-per-cent-eu/

image.png.5425d2648a0bdd7fc8c4e236c15bde59.png

Listen ya Plankton fuelled Pish Peddlar, don't come on here accusing me of talking drivel and then present an argument about something I haven't even touched on. Take your hate filled xenophobia and chuck it at someone who gives a shit. Scotland will have to make a commitment to adopting the Euro when it joins the EU, is that simple enough for you.

11 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Ruthie and Doogie caught telling porkies already. Who never saw that coming? 😁

116899612_10157038710276012_4523686909848438481_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=SivSzCA3I44AX-j7N6q&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-2.fna&oh=872c65e5c84e17170b64857d03248d79&oe=5F4F42FB

Slightly off topic but going by the records 'headline' for hearts starlet jibe at club after joining airdrie https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/ritchie-makes-hearts-pathway-jibe-22473480.amp

I would take anything thats written by them with a huge pinch of salt. Headline re Ritchie suggests he was slagging the club off but in reality his words suggest he was a young player grateful for the experience but, ultimately wasn't good enough to make it at hearts

1 hour ago, hmfcbilly said:

Slightly off topic but going by the records 'headline' for hearts starlet jibe at club after joining airdrie https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/ritchie-makes-hearts-pathway-jibe-22473480.amp

I would take anything thats written by them with a huge pinch of salt. Headline re Ritchie suggests he was slagging the club off but in reality his words suggest he was a young player grateful for the experience but, ultimately wasn't good enough to make it at hearts

Crap like that annoys me.

Sub editor's headline not reflective of the tone of the story and the journalist for not pushing back.

Space Mackerel
3 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Listen ya Plankton fuelled Pish Peddlar, don't come on here accusing me of talking drivel and then present an argument about something I haven't even touched on. Take your hate filled xenophobia and chuck it at someone who gives a shit. Scotland will have to make a commitment to adopting the Euro when it joins the EU, is that simple enough for you.

So, Scotland’s debt would drop to 0.1% of total government expenditure after Indy.

Just now, Space Mackerel said:

So, Scotland’s debt would drop to 0.1% of total government expenditure after Indy.

Would it? Why are you chucking this shite at me?

Space Mackerel
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

Would it? Why are you chucking this shite at me?

You watched that quick. 😁😁😁

Seymour M Hersh
37 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

They eat puffins FFS is that where we want to go ??

And we eat (although personally I've no done so) Grouse, Pheasant and Partridge.

You watched that quick. 😁😁😁

I'm at work. **** off creepy *****.

How rude! 

Watch it later then. 😃

Do you actually read the thread or just come on to lie and spout utter drivel you have no idea about?

No, this was rude. Everything else is a consequence. 

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

No, this was rude. Everything else is a consequence. 

We were talking about currency and finance after Independence last night, this is very relevant. 😊

manaliveits105
31 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Switched it off right at the start when he said my blog has been transferred to the Nawtional (the bastion of truth)

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Switched it off right at the start when he said my blog has been transferred to the Nawtional (the bastion of truth)

Imagine doing that when every other single newspaper in Scotland is pro Union.

Strange logic. 

15 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

https://theferret.scot/scotland-deficit-3-per-cent-eu/

image.png.5425d2648a0bdd7fc8c4e236c15bde59.png

Scotland doesn't have a deficit other than the one England/Westminster "gives it". Scotland has ran a balanced budget for what? 26 years???

4 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Crap like that annoys me.

Sub editor's headline not reflective of the tone of the story and the journalist for not pushing back.

Couldn't agree more. The demise of the red tops is in part, down to rubbish 'sensationalist' headlines actually being nothing like the article below it. I think a lot of people just got fed up with the same old cliche crap getting churned out. Maybe I'm just getting old and that's really what modern day journalism is like in order to suit the world we live in!

2 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

We were talking about currency and finance after Independence last night, this is very relevant. 😊

You and your imaginary friend may have been. I was stating that Scotland had to sign up for the Euro if they joined the EU. 

Edited by SE16 3LN

Space Mackerel
26 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

You and your imaginary friend may have been. I was stating that Scotland had to sign up for the Euro if they joined the EU. 

How many EU member states DO NOT use the Euro? 

Space Mackerel
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Scotland doesn't have a deficit other than the one England/Westminster "gives it". Scotland has ran a balanced budget for what? 26 years???

Exactly.

Even the BBC knows this now.

37 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Wouldn’t be a bad idea joining the Euro. We’ll certainly look to join the EU. People get a bit hung up about Sterling and our own currency. Won’t make a huge amount of difference which option we take. 

22 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Are you OK?

Why does someone living in London care enough about what Scotland does to spend his time posting on this thread? I just don't get it and you're certainly not the only one living in England who posts anti independence stuff on here. Why not concern yourself with what's going on in your own country? 

Unknown user
2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

There are 9 different currencies used within the EU.

Poland still uses the Zloty, Bulgaria still uses the Lev. Croatia, the most recent country to join in 2014, is still using the Kuna. Adopting the Euro is not a condition of joining the EU, never has been.

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

Are you OK?

54 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Poland still uses the Zloty, Bulgaria still uses the Lev. Croatia, the most recent country to join in 2014, is still using the Kuna. Adopting the Euro is not a condition of joining the EU, never has been.

There is your answer.

So pish you must not speak anymore.

It's a amazing you never hear of Barnett consequentials, where England receives balancing out payments to its budget because Scotland are spending more. 🤔

14 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

There is your answer.

So pish you must not speak anymore.

They are all in the European Exchange rate mechanism and have made a commitment to Using the Euro when they meet the criteria. Otherwise they wouldn't have been allowed in. It is as clear as day. According to the figures you were quoting right from the start, Scotland already meets that criteria and so would use the Euro from date of entry. This has been the Case in Theory since 1992 and in reality since 1999. Why are you struggling so much with this.

15 hours ago, Smithee said:

Yes it is,at least to join the EERM. You must also make a commitment to join the Euro when you meet the criteria. According to the SG, and more importantly JKB posters, Scotland already meets those criteria so into the Euro Scotland will go. Why are you all struggling so much with this, in fact why would you resist it? Its as if the 28 years since Maastricht just passed you by. 

jack D and coke

Wait so we accept Scotland just gets straight in now? Ah well we’ve batted one bolloks story away then👍🏼

Edited by jack D and coke

Unknown user
31 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Yes it is,at least to join the EERM. You must also make a commitment to join the Euro when you meet the criteria. According to the SG, and more importantly JKB posters, Scotland already meets those criteria so into the Euro Scotland will go. Why are you all struggling so much with this, in fact why would you resist it? Its as if the 28 years since Maastricht just passed you by. 

I'm kind of surprised I need to type these words out, but the EERM is not the EU. There are a number of EU countries outside the EERM.

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Wait so we accept Scotland just gets straight in now? Ah well we’ve batted one bolloks story away then👍🏼

According to the JKB Nationalist Party massive and the SG, yes. Which is what I said. So where do you stand, will Scotland adopt the Euro or not?

Just now, Smithee said:

I'm kind of surprised I need to type these words out, but the EERM is not the EU. There are a number of EU countries outside the EERM.

I'm kind of surprised that I have to type these words, they are in the EERM with a view to joining the EU. You've realised you were wrong about the Euro and you're deflecting to something else. Why are you so scared of the criteria for joining the EU if its such a holy grail? Basically, like JD, you're arguing against yourself.

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

According to the JKB Nationalist Party massive and the SG, yes. Which is what I said. So where do you stand, will Scotland adopt the Euro or not?

I think we all know there are no barriers to stop a country that has been i it since its inception other than some Spanish dude that done David Cameron a favour by saying we wouldn’t. 
As far as single currency is concerned I’m not that fussed in all honesty mate. The euro hasn’t been bad for all the countries it just seems to be the southern euro nations that it doesn’t particularly suit. The ROI have done really well since adopting it. I’d be open to it is my answer. 

Unknown user
20 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I'm kind of surprised that I have to type these words, they are in the EERM with a view to joining the EU. You've realised you were wrong about the Euro and you're deflecting to something else. Why are you so scared of the criteria for joining the EU if its such a holy grail? Basically, like JD, you're arguing against yourself.

I'm not wrong about anything, adopting the euro isn't a condition of joining the EU. Working toward adopting the Euro is, but you don't ever actually have to get there, so you can't act like it's a mic drop moment. 

Who exactly are inside the EERM but not the EU by the way?

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm not wrong about anything, adopting the euro isn't a condition of joining the EU. Working toward adopting the Euro is, but you don't ever actually have to get there, so you can't act like it's a mic drop moment. 

Who exactly are inside the EERM but not the EU by the way?

It is like you say a condition.

9 members I think dont currently use it.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I often am but isnt borrowing restricted to 3% over your gdp?

We currently I think are at 9%.

Or is that only when using the euro.

I think you know I'm for brexit.

Independence comes first and I'd argue against rejoining the EU.

But leaving that aside if the above borrowing limits are demanded (if that is separate from adopting the euro)

It would see cuts greater than what Greece endured.

Trying not to be partisan here mate.

But I think the independence movement need to have answers 

The currency one is easy that's a total red herring.

But if part of the argument to gain support for independence is a rejoin then these questions are valid.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, jake said:

Correct me if I'm wrong as I often am but isnt borrowing restricted to 3% over your gdp?

But leaving that aside if the above borrowing limits are demanded (if that is separate from adopting the euro)

But if part of the argument to gain support for independence is a rejoin then these questions are valid.

I wasn't getting involved, there's no point trying to convince those who won't listen, I was just saying Scotland wouldn't actually ever have to adopt the Euro.

And I'll add that he's talking shit about countries being in the EERM with a view to joining the EU. There are several EU countries outside the EERM but no EERM countries outside the EU.

Also I'd say we cant just say we sign up in good faith to the 35 requirements but then say aye but we dont have to really.

I know that's what's happened but only 2 countries have a legal opt out.

UK and Denmark .

Unknown user
Just now, jake said:

Also I'd say we cant just say we sign up in good faith to the 35 requirements but then say aye but we dont have to really.

I know that's what's happened but only 2 countries have a legal opt out.

UK and Denmark .

Yes we can, Sweden's been doing it since 1995.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I wasn't getting involved, there's no point trying to convince those who won't listen, I was just saying Scotland wouldn't actually ever have to adopt the Euro.

And I'll add that he's talking shit about countries being in the EERM with a view to joining the EU. There are several EU countries outside the EERM but no EERM countries outside the EU.

Just get involved mate.

I know it's a bit cheeky coming from me but it's good to debate.

Even with nippy characters like myself.

I dont have popular views on here and I'm trying to be less of a dick.

Funny how I can agree with some on some things and be polar opposite on others

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yes we can, Sweden's been doing it since 1995.

I know we can 9 members do .

Just pointing out that it's not acting in good faith if you sign up to it .

Not really an issue bud.

Just ...I dunno 😁👍

Unknown user
Just now, jake said:

Just get involved mate.

I know it's a bit cheeky coming from me but it's good to debate.

Even with nippy characters like myself.

I dont have popular views on here and I'm trying to be less of a dick.

Funny how I can agree with some on some things and be polar opposite on others

I don't have particularly strong views on the subject. I want an independent Scotland so we have a government that gives a **** about our country and people. The rest is up for debate for me. 

coconut doug
12 minutes ago, jake said:

Borrowing is not restricted to 3% of GDP or else many countries would now have to leave. This is an aspiration. As i understand it borrowing less than 3% of GDP was a requirement for joining the Euro. At the time of entry Germany and Greece did not meet the criteria but were allowed to join anyway. Denmark did meet the criteria but chose not to join. The EU clearly tried to expand its currency as widely as possible but there was no absolute compulsion. 

The notion that Scotland has a debt of around 9% of GDP is fanciful. All areas of the UK outside London and the SE show similar and greater deficits according to this form of measurement. Money is sucked into London from everywhere else in the UK something that could be countered in an Indy Scotland. Around 40% of our so called deficit goes to pay interest on our ever spiralling debt. The UK government have manipulated the exchange rate for the pound many times to benefit the city of London and at the expense of the other countries and regions. They have often done so at the behest of vested and often criminal interests. The idea that joining the Euro uniquely leaves us open to this form of abuse is naive.  Quite the opposite IMO.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

The one thing I notice about SE16 is the amount of mild ire in his posts about Scotland. Even after he’s been up visiting there’s a feeling he’s having a dig all the time in the posts. 
A sort of typical Scot living down saaf. Looks down his nose now at all us daft jocks wanting to run our own affairs. The Labour Party absolutely rips out him. Fuming that Scotland has finally seen through them and wants nothing to do with them anymore. 
I might be wrong though. 

Edited by jack D and coke

6 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Why do you keep making up lies, I honestly don't get it. You know that Scotland will not and cannot be made to use the Euro. I just don't get what's in it for you and why you even care

Unknown user
5 hours ago, jake said:

I know we can 9 members do .

Just pointing out that it's not acting in good faith if you sign up to it .

Not really an issue bud.

Just ...I dunno 😁👍

I'm with you, there's can't and then there's can't.