• manaliveits105

• jack D and coke

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Oil prices have been going up. 

Ker-ching.

Boy Daniel

https://apple.news/A2fLGLwMXRKy-j-JanwUwcg

An independent Scotland would have to implement a more stringent form of “austerity” than the vision outlined in the SNP’s Growth Commission because of the pandemic, according to a leading economist.

David Phillips, associate director at the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS), warned that the country would be left “with a relatively high budget deficit, substantially higher than the rest of the UK” in the event of a “yes” vote.

He said that the Growth Commission, which was drawn up three years ago by Andrew Wilson, the former RBS banker and ex-SNP MSP, was supposed to update the financial case for independence but Nicola Sturgeon has said that it is now out of date after the Covid-19 economic crisis.

The first minister, who has admitted that no updated work has been done about the fiscal impact of independence, rejected Phillips’ description of the commission as using “effectively austerity” to balance the books. He said that the pandemic had “blown a hole” in Scottish and UK finances.

“That would mean we’re having to do a fiscal tightening at a UK level. Scotland would have to do that added on top of the one that was already there,” Phillips said.

“The other thing that’s changed is it’s become clear that Brexit is a harder Brexit than we thought, and I think that means the issues around the border have become more tricky since 2018 as well.

“It’s clear that an independent Scotland would start life with a large deficit. It would need to get that down, and that would mean difficult choices. That doesn’t mean Scotland can’t afford to be independent. Scotland’s a relatively rich country.

“But it would need to make sure that it cut its cloth to fit the size of its own purse, rather than having fiscal transfers from the rest of the UK.”

Sturgeon has said that she wants a second referendum to be held before the end of 2023 if a pro-independence majority is returned — including Green and potentially Alba MSPs — after next Thursday’s Holyrood election.

She said that “pretty much every country in the developed world has a massive deficit right now and are shouldering massive debts” and that an independent Scotland would be starting its life in a similar position.

“Therefore, I don’t think it’s credible to suggest that an independent Scotland would somehow be in a uniquely different position,” she said.

“We would manage the deficit in the way that other countries manage deficit, through a combination of careful spending decisions and borrowing in order to, in a way consistent with supporting the economy and supporting people, bring the deficit and debt back to reasonable levels.”

She added that Scotland being in a worse fiscal position than the rest of the UK was an argument for independence because it showed that different decisions should be made north of the border.

When Scotland’s public finances were in ruder health than the UK as a whole, in the early part of the last decade before the oil price crash, the SNP argued this made the case for independence.

The IFS also said in analysis of the SNP, Conservative and Labour manifestos that all three of the political parties lacked credibility when it came to their spending plans.

manaliveits105

Who needs Tory austerity when we can have Sturgeons super austerity 

JamesM48

E543C9F8-98C6-45BF-AE21-8FE482EE3A8B.jpegSorry Ri Alban be careful what you wish for 

Edited by JamesM48
jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

E543C9F8-98C6-45BF-AE21-8FE482EE3A8B.jpegSorry Ri Alban be careful what you wish for 

Oh dear James where did you come across that? It’s called a section 30...that’s why she wants the British Govt to agree. 
Sycophantic media in Scotland? :lol: 
Thatcher used to say that all we needed to do was send enough MP’s to WM to gain independence. They must keep moving the goalposts to protect us or something I don’t know🤷🏽‍♂️

JamesM48
14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Oh dear James where did you come across that? It’s called a section 30...that’s why she wants the British Govt to agree. 
Sycophantic media in Scotland? :lol: 
Thatcher used to say that all we needed to do was send enough MP’s to WM to gain independence. They must keep moving the goalposts to protect us or something I don’t know🤷🏽‍♂️

Oh I just took it from an ardent unionist friends posting on Facebook It’s really about the issue that Sturgeon wants to hold a ref with or without a section 30 which is the issue 

Edited by JamesM48
jack D and coke
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Oh I just took it from an ardent unionist friends posting on Facebook I just wanted to cause bother 😂

Lol aye I’m well aware where that kind of stuff comes from. The unionist FB and Twitter pages are FAF :lol: 

JamesM48
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Lol aye I’m well aware where that kind of stuff comes from. The unionist FB and Twitter pages are FAF :lol: 

However I think it was meaning that sturgeon cannot hold a ref without Section 30 but May plan on doing so . I’m on the fence about an Indy ref and before covid was pro Indy . Not so sure now to be honest . I was always against having an Indy vote too soon after last one though 

Mysterion
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Unionist FB is hilarious.

If like me you fall somewhere in the middle you look at Nat stuff and it’s often fantasy but at least it’s the building blocks to consider an argument. Then you look at Unionist FB and it’s like a 5yr old was given a word jumble to put together or a knuckledragger was given lessons on photoshop.

Unionism based on trying to bitch slap people or mock them isn’t the way forward.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Unionism based on trying to bitch slap people or mock them isn’t the way forward.

Agreed.

Nationalsts should take note. 

Edited by Governor Tarkin
Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Agreed.

Nationalst should take note. 

Both sides of the discussion/debate/dummy spitting competition should take note... Surely?

JamesM48
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Both sides of the discussion/debate/dummy spitting competition should take note... Surely?

Exactly it’s on both sides but u see a lot of mocking / snobbery and riducule  more from unionists in my experience 

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

However I think it was meaning that sturgeon cannot hold a ref without Section 30 but May plan on doing so . I’m on the fence about an Indy ref and before covid was pro Indy . Not so sure now to be honest . I was always against having an Indy vote too soon after last one though 

Fair enough mate🤷🏽‍♂️👍🏼

7 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Unionist FB is hilarious.

If like me you fall somewhere in the middle you look at Nat stuff and it’s often fantasy but at least it’s the building blocks to consider an argument. Then you look at Unionist FB and it’s like a 5yr old was given a word jumble to put together or a knuckledragger was given lessons on photoshop.

I voted yes and I’d likely do so again but I’m not hellbent on it. I do believe that if public opinion demands an indyref then we should have one though. 
Unionist social media is miles worse imo. I can’t help trolling the pages. The anger :lol: I’m maybe slightly biased though😬

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Exactly it’s on both sides but u see a lot of mocking / snobbery and riducule  more from unionists in my experience 

That was the point of my post... GT likes a wee pot stir...

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Well aye, that's what I was getting at.

I prefer the gist of posts to be implicit rather than explicit.

The ambiguity affords better opportunity for custard pie flinging. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

It’s all about trying to make out everyone on the Indy side is mental and nasty. 
They’re the Neymars of political debate. The slightest touch and they’re rolling about claiming you’re a nazi or English hating etc etc😴😴

Friday nights when I’m pished I have a wee

bit fun with them :lol: 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

How ****ing dare you... :seething:

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

On pretty much every subject😐😂

JamesM48
13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Fair enough mate🤷🏽‍♂️👍🏼

I voted yes and I’d likely do so again but I’m not hellbent on it. I do believe that if public opinion demands an indyref then we should have one though. 
Unionist social media is miles worse imo. I can’t help trolling the pages. The anger :lol: I’m maybe slightly biased though😬

Exactly my view . 

13 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Oh yes he can certainly throw some shade ! I’ll give him that . Leaves me “gagging “ ! 

10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s all about trying to make out everyone on the Indy side is mental and nasty. 
They’re the Neymars of political debate. The slightest touch and they’re rolling about claiming you’re a nazi or English hating etc etc😴😴

Friday nights when I’m pished I have a wee

bit fun with them :lol: 

Very true before covid I had various run ins on my face book with the unionist friend . She is a real friend by the way . I respect  her and she’s intelligent but she just goes bat shit crazy about this subject and loses any sense of objectivity about it . She regularly says she “ hate ms” Sturgeon . Like I said I have me reservations about Indy but if we had a vote tomorrow I wouldn’t forgive myself if I didn’t vote yes . The clincher for me was a news item a few weeks ago when it was reported that the British govt are replacing some nuclear weapons etc and it will cost billions . I don’t want to be part of a Govt who prioritises this over its people’s health etc , no thanks . So it’s a reluctant yes 😂 sadly I think it won’t happen as the media will be even more ferocious in their anti independence campaign . But I won’t be crying into my weetabix if we didn’t become independent . It’s not the end all and be all for me in the grand scheme of things 

Edited by JamesM48
jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Exactly my view . 

Oh yes he can certainly throw some shade ! I’ll give him that . Leaves me “gagging “ ! 

Very true before covid I had various run ins on my face book with the unionist friend . She is a real friend by the way . I respect  her and she’s intelligent but she just goes bat shit crazy about this subject and loses any sense of objectivity about it . She regularly says she “ hate ms” Sturgeon . Like I said I have me reservations about Indy but if we had a vote tomorrow I wouldn’t forgive myself if I didn’t vote yes . The clincher for me was a news item a few weeks ago when it was reported that the British govt are replacing some nuclear weapons etc and it will cost billions . I don’t want to be part of a Govt who prioritises this over its people’s health etc , no thanks . So it’s a reluctant yes 😂 sadly I think it won’t happen as the media will be even more ferocious in their anti independence campaign . But I won’t be crying into my weetabix if we didn’t become independent . It’s not the end all and be all for me in the grand scheme of things 

Pretty much agree with all that pal. 

JamesM48
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Pretty much agree with all that pal. 

👍

Konrad von Carstein
20 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

How ****ing dare you... :seething:

:leveinnaturalorder:

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Leaves me “gagging “! 

tenor.gif

JamesM48

y’all got to learn the new lingo ! 

😂😎 

CD3C262C-EDCC-4AED-907B-1409940D3526.png

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

You've changed your tune pretty quickly. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

You've changed your tune pretty quickly. 

Trying to troll his BFF aussieh☺️

JamesM48
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Trying to troll his BFF aussieh☺️

Me never ! 😂😂😂

jack D and coke

Loving the tartan effect on our pitch now🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

3CF7D35C-0547-411B-9F2F-198CD22C8007.jpeg

Roxy Hearts
18 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Looks fantastic. Can't wait to get back!

JamesM48
1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Looks fantastic. Can't wait to get back!

Yes let’s all remember why we are here instead of all the bickering which is just back ground noise to our support for the mighty Jambos ! I’m fed up with people not agreeing with my viewpoint 😂

Roxy Hearts
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes let’s all remember why we are here instead of all the bickering which is just back ground noise to our support for the mighty Jambos ! I’m fed up with people not agreeing with my viewpoint 😂

👍😄

maroonlegions
10 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Most times political slogans can be short but simple, away from the spin doctors ect.. 

178038281_3761934813928683_3062849156731450149_n.jpg

AlimOzturk

Anyone seen the latest polls 

Alba forecast to win 6-8 seats 😂

6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

That looks excellent :glorious:

37 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Most times political slogans can be short but simple, away from the spin doctors ect.. 

These Scottish kids have their own message :gok:

16 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Anyone seen the latest polls 

Alba forecast to win 6-8 seats 😂

Looking like they aren't even eating into the Greens vote either. Not sure I overly trust them, but they've played it canny. 

1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

P.S. Gran, Derek Mackay wants to take me camping 

Boy Daniel

https://apple.news/AzhAVAxQgT_W17AxzKcYE6w

Scotland’s fiscal deficit has soared to eight times the limit set by the European Union for membership, according to research that could set back the cause of Scottish independence.

It is understood that the Institute for Fiscal Studies will report this week that the gap between Scottish public spending and tax revenues rose to between 22 per cent and 25 per cent of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) in 2020-1.

That gap, in cash terms more than £40 billion, is nearly three times the level of the Scottish deficit the year before, of 8.6 per cent, and is considerably higher than the all-UK deficit of 14.5 per cent for the year just ended.

News that Scotland’s deficit is at a record peacetime high, in part due to unprecedented Covid-related spending and tumbling North Sea oil revenues, led to warnings that an independent Scotland would face tough choices on spending cuts and higher taxes.

It is also at odds with longstanding EU criteria that require all new members to reduce budget deficits to 3 per cent of GDP or less, although new members can negotiate transition periods to give time to meet rules. There is also an expectation that post-pandemic, the EU may relax its fiscal rules, which are suspended at present.

Mairi Spowage, interim director at the Fraser of Allander Institute, at Strathclyde University, said: “It would not be possible to run structural deficits of this scale over the long run, so various options, including policies to grow the economy, expand and change the tax base, increase tax rates or cut spending, are likely to feature.

“Of course, the UK too faces significant budgetary pressures, and this will impact upon Scotland inside or outside the Union. With Covid-19 making everyone’s public sector deficits that much bigger, the challenge of building a model of fiscal sustainability just got harder.”

Murdo Fraser, Tory finance spokesman, said: “Nicola Sturgeon uses grievance and grudge to whip up nationalist fervour yet she cannot answer basic questions about the finances of an independent Scotland and, on this evidence, no wonder.

“These figures lay bare the bleak reality of the chasm between tax revenues and public spending. Future generations would face an impoverished future, while arrogant SNP politicians would be just fine.

“Not only do the SNP have no credible currency plan, but they also have no obvious route to join the EU and on the basis of these numbers, it looks highly implausible.”

The economist John McLaren added: “One of the big changes since 2014 has been the virtual disappearance of North Sea revenues an independent Scotland might expect to have. This means Scotland’s underlying fiscal deficit is less erratic but also, Covid aside, unsustainably high.

“The SNP’s growth commission report acknowledged this and the EU would clearly have concerns, too. However, the future position on how much Scotland would need to trim its fiscal sails by is uncertain as the EU has suspended its fiscal rules. It intends to review them post-pandemic with a strong likelihood that they will be more accommodating. Nevertheless, some difficult decisions would inevitably lie ahead post-independence.”

Opponents of Scottish independence argue that the deficit highlights huge advantages in remaining in the UK, including spending on public services 27 per cent higher per head than in England. However, independence supporters say the deficit highlights the constraints that Scotland faces within the UK.

An SNP spokesman said: “Every country in the world is dealing with exceptional public finance pressures as we recover from the pandemic. The UK has this week seen its deficit rise to the highest level since 1946, while its national debt now stands at more than £2 trillion.”

I like that everybody who shares that article doesn't post the bit where the IFS says that Scotland is a rich country and could easily thrive as an Independent state.

:fonzie:

The article reads as "haha the UK has made you so poor that you can't go alone", which hardly a ringing endorsement for the Union.

And the figures are based on current taxation, over which the Scottish Parliament only has limited control.

And as usual simply assigns 10% of all UK spending to Scotland.

Boy Daniel
56 minutes ago, Candy said:

P.S. Gran, Derek Mackay wants to take me camping 

image.gif.6d46189eee41f02e59d7e5b20529a464.gif

Boy Daniel
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

I like that everybody who shares that article doesn't post the bit where the IFS says that Scotland is a rich country and could easily thrive as an Independent state.

The article reads as "haha the UK has made you so poor that you can't go alone", which hardly a ringing endorsement for the Union.

And the figures are based on current taxation, over which the Scottish Parliament only has limited control.

A know what are these fiscal experts like compared to social media experts.

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

https://groceries.asda.com/product/everyday-tissues/asda-smart-price-white-tissues/910000056989

8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Maybe just so they know where to put the boards for the open air orchestra festival. ::troll::

Swahili Jambo

The fall is nearing the bottom of the cliff!  Damn pesky Nationalists, SNP 1/100.  Tis the end game .  Alba Gu Brath.    

JackLadd

Salmond is probably sucking up the old Sheridan SSP vote. The crackpot ne'er-do-well popular front of Alb=ea.