The rise and fall of The SNP.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What does that actually mean now, when Vote No to Stay in the EU was one of the major arguments FOR the union?

Are we only holding one said to a rigid interpretation of what was said?

Just correcting the claim that it was an off the cuff remark made once by Salmond verbally.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

They don't. They need the Greens, who are the closest to Communists that we get in Scottish politics...Wahey! Or they've just set out their stall to be the balance of power, the kingmakers, perhaps...? 

They've been that for years to be fair, I have no problem with a lefty influence on the government. The more the merrier in fact.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, pablo said:

Just correcting the claim that it was an off the cuff remark made once by Salmond verbally.

Yeah I got that, it's frustrating when it keeps getting brought up though, it's a total red herring and a fair question to ask in response.

Weakened Offender
6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

So you took us down a dead end. Well done. :jj_facepalm:

I wasn't going to bother replying to this until I saw you comparing the Greens to Communists. 😁

You're bonkers. 😊

Konrad von Carstein
10 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Silence of the bams 

Sadly not,  you are never off this thread...

Spellczech
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Don’t agree. People don’t believe the lies from Westminster any more and the votes prove it. 
Anyhoo Juve v Milan on now. As big a game in Serie A all season.

The majority of people know eff all. How many voters are ill-informed, and due to social media, worse, misinformed? We're on a slippery slope. At least in the good old days, many women used to choose their candidate from the photos and judge whether they looked "honest and decent". Today my wife mentioned that she didn't realise the Greens were pro-Independence...She thought their main policies were about the environment.

Spellczech
2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I wasn't going to bother replying to this until I saw you comparing the Greens to Communists. 😁

You're bonkers. 😊

You haven't responded though (again)

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, pablo said:

You do understand that the vote to leave the EU, after staying in the EU beibg a major argument against Independence, is bigger than the once-in-a-generation line for normal thinking folk eh? I mean you are getting that right? 

12 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Incredible. 

It certainly was. A large increase in SNP voters and they only gained one seat. 

Or better still.

I've also believe you need 50 folk to propose you to get you on the candidate list so 4 of Jayda's proposers must have known it was worth doing just so that she would make fool of herself.

Edited by DETTY29

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

You haven't responded though (again)

I responded by telling you that you're bonkers. 

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

They don't. They need the Greens, who are the closest to Communists that we get in Scottish politics...Wahey! Or they've just set out their stall to be the balance of power, the kingmakers, perhaps...? 

:rofl:

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

You do understand that the vote to leave the EU, after staying in the EU beibg a major argument against Independence, is bigger than the once-in-a-generation line for normal thinking folk eh? I mean you are getting that right? 

I don't really care about the once in a generation line to be honest. Again, all I was doing was correcting the false claim made about its' origin. 

Spellczech
3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I responded by telling you that you're bonkers. 

Aye, well enough of this. You are a wasting my time, and everyone else's, so go sit on my ignore list

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

:lol:

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, pablo said:

I don't really care about the once in a generation line to be honest. Again, all I was doing was correcting the false claim made about its' origin. 

👍

manaliveits105
6 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Someone’s got to save the country :P

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Aye, well enough of this. You are a wasting my time, and everyone else's, so go sit on my ignore list

Big shout out to you then. 😁

Spellczech
9 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Or better still.

I've also believe you need 50 folk to propose you to get you on the candidate list so 4 (or 3 plus her) of Jayda's proposers must have known it was worth doing just so that she would make fool of herself.

Yeah but proposing someone is no requirement to vote for them. She could work in a big office and walked around saying "I want to stand in the election, will you sign here" but not say anything to anyone about what her political beliefs are...

Paddy Crossan
41 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

"Once in a generation" was a quote made by Sturgeon, nobody in UK Govt...But you crack on!

It was not made by NS as far as I believe, can’t go into detail due to my 4 year old needing care

Weakened Offender
Just now, Boab said:

Tree hugging reds !

They're co-running the gig up here now. 😊

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

They're co-running the gig up here now. 😊

I'd rather them than the DUP!

Edited by Smithee

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I'd rather then than the DUP!

Now they folks are beyond weird. 

31 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

?They planted the seeds of that success 30-40 years ago before Globalisation happened.

Even if the SNP could tear up the contracts and grab some revenue it would be  left with the deep drill oil which we all know Scotland leads the World in - unfortunately the people who have that expertise get tempted away to other parts of the globe every time the oil price dips...The SNP wants to have its cake and eat it - run a left wing social policy AND save money for the nation's future like Norway? I don't think so...

I don't want to drag the thread even more off topic, but...

...this is Norway we're talking about.  The country that saves for the nation's future (like Norway) and at the same time runs one of the most comprehensive welfare and social safety net systems on Earth (also like Norway). They also run their very generous social welfare policies as a centrist or even centre-right platform rather than on the left, and they have universal health and education systems that put the UK to shame.  I'm not sure how the Norwegians are when it comes to cake, but they give every impression of having eaten lots and lots of cake while also continuing to have lots and lots of cake in their possession.

1 hour ago, Boab said:

I agree about Europe after independence. A survey done in Norway had three quarters of the population saying they’d vote no to join the EU. That from about the richest country in Europe. 
Of course, that means I don’t agree with your last paragraph. It serves the Norwegians quite well being small and on the outside. Pretty damn well actually.

Norway has exactly the relationship with the EU that the British most feared after Brexit.  Norway is not in the EU, and takes no part in the Union's legislative processes, but its laws are almost fully aligned with EU regulations.  And still they succeed in being both very well off and very independent.  Weird, isn't it?

Enzo Chiefo
45 minutes ago, Smithee said:

They won't be a minority government if they put a member of the opposition in as presiding officer, which they will. They were a minority government a week ago, but won't be when parliament reconvenes. It's a minor point but reflective of a better result than last time.

Is it not the case that if an opposition MP or MSP becomes Speaker, that a "pairing" system operates? A govt MSP has to abstain? Certainly the Speaker will have a casting vote in the event of a tie. 

Konrad von Carstein
17 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Someone’s got to save the country :P

:levein2:

:lol:

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Is it not the case that if an opposition MP or MSP becomes Speaker, that a "pairing" system operates? A govt MSP has to abstain? Certainly the Speaker will have a casting vote in the event of a tie. 

No, the presiding officer votes no to the change in a tie break.

Konrad von Carstein
45 minutes ago, pablo said:

Sorry, it was actually stated in the White Paper, Scotland's Future. I've attached a copy of it for you.

20210503_224734.jpg

My flabber is gasted...hands up I genuinely did not know this...

Every day is a school day...

Just listening to Sky Arts and John Lennon is on (well not really) but this song was being played. It has so much truth in it. 
Sorry it’s a big post. 😔

I'm sick and tired of hearing things,
From uptight, short sighted, narrow minded hypocrites,
All i want is the truth,
Just gimme some truth,
I've had enough of reading things,
By neurotic, psychotic, pig headed politicians,
All i want is the truth,
Just give us the truth,

No short haired, yellow bellied, son of tricky dicky is
Gonna mother hubbard, soft soap me with just a pocket full of oil,
Money for oil,
Money for oil.

I'm sick to death of seeing things,
By tight lipped, condescending, mommy's little chauvinists,
All i want is the truth,
Just gimme some truth,
I've had enough of watching scenes,
Of schizophrenic, egocentric, paranoia prima donnas,
All i want is the truth,
Just give us the truth,

No short haired, yellow bellied, son of tricky dicky is
Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me with just a pocket full of oil,
Money for oil,
Money for oil,

No short haired, yellow bellied, son of george-porgy is
Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me with just a pocket full of oil,
It's money for oil,
No blood for oil,

I'm sick and tired of hearing things,
From uptight, short sighted, narrow minded hypocrites,
All i want is the truth,
Just gimme some truth,
I've had enough of reading things,
By neurotic psychotic, homophobic hypocrites,
All i want is the truth,
Just give us the truth,
All we want is the truth,
Just give us the truth,
We can handle the truth,
Just give us some truth,
Share with us the truth,
We'll give you our truth.

30 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

The majority of people know eff all. How many voters are ill-informed, and due to social media, worse, misinformed? We're on a slippery slope. At least in the good old days, many women used to choose their candidate from the photos and judge whether they looked "honest and decent". Today my wife mentioned that she didn't realise the Greens were pro-Independence...She thought their main policies were about the environment.

Er, a word to the wise.  There are more effective ways to win a political argument than by suggesting that one's wife is ill-informed and has poor judgement.  :cheese:

Weakened Offender
36 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

At least in the good old days, many women used to choose their candidate from the photos and judge whether they looked "honest and decent". 

😐

Just checking that you added me to that precious ignore list of yours? 

😁

30 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

...this is Norway we're talking about.  The country that saves for the nation's future (like Norway) and at the same time runs one of the most comprehensive welfare and social safety net systems on Earth (also like Norway). They also run their very generous social welfare policies as a centrist or even centre-right platform rather than on the left, and they have universal health and education systems that put the UK to shame.  I'm not sure how the Norwegians are when it comes to cake, but they give every impression of having eaten lots and lots of cake while also continuing to have lots and lots of cake in their possession.

Norway has exactly the relationship with the EU that the British most feared after Brexit.  Norway is not in the EU, and takes no part in the Union's legislative processes, but its laws are almost fully aligned with EU regulations.  And still they succeed in being both very well off and very independent.  Weird, isn't it?

:greatpost:

Anyway, in some alternate reality, only slightly different than our own, the SNP won one more constituency and got a majority on their own. Douglas Ross is claiming that only having a majority of 1 means there isn't a mandate for a referendum. :lol:

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, pablo said:

Sorry, it was actually stated in the White Paper, Scotland's Future. I've attached a copy of it for you.

20210503_224734.jpg

Is anything in that document legally binding? Salmond and Sturgeon both said it, thankfully it’s not up to them to decide that. 
The Good Friday Agreement infers a generation to be 7 years anyway. 

jamboy1982
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

"Once in a generation" was a quote made by Sturgeon, nobody in UK Govt...But you crack on!

1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

Yes a rise of one. Wow one!  now if it had been ten then that be a rise worth getting excited about. Ten (or some more significant number than one) would give more umph to the Indy cause.  

A rise of ten would actually be impossible based on the system in place

2 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

A rise of ten would actually be impossible based on the system in place

The point I was making is something a bit more than one. 

5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Agree with independence or not. The SNP have every rights to go for a second referendum, they were explicit in their manefsto and will be able to get a bill through Hollyrood. 

Now Bojo has every right to say go **** yourself for whatever reason he chooses. I suspect he’s smart enough to know saying no, isn’t the answer. I think he will try and kick this into the long grass and delay until COVID crisis passed. The SNP agree with this in principal. 

I think he ends up granting one but not on the SNP timescale. In the interim we see a push on benefits of union and hope creates issues within SNP. 

The narrative will be we will let Scotland decide, when crisis is over, that will be a position that will probably placate enough people to work. Whilst buying time for the innevetible referendum. 

The argument will move from having a referendum to the timing of one.

The last time, the timing etc was given to the Scottish Parliament to decide. Westminster putting it's grubby paws over it would immediately invalidate it in some folks eyes.

Given the precedent, if Westminster is seen to be gerrymandering it, that may backfire.

The Mighty Thor
11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Now Bojo has every right to say go **** yourself for whatever reason he chooses. I suspect he’s smart enough to know saying no, isn’t the answer. I think he will try and kick this into the long grass and delay until COVID crisis passed. The SNP agree with this in principal. 

I think he ends up granting one but not on the SNP timescale. In the interim we see a push on benefits of union and hope creates issues within SNP. 

He could always tell us the one about how the only way to stay in Europe was to remain in the 'union'

That's my favourite one. 

jamboy1982
49 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The point I was making is something a bit more than one. 

How many more than one were you expecting? Because there is a ceiling as to how many extra seats they could’ve gained. 

1 minute ago, jamboy1982 said:

How many more than one were you expecting? Because there is a ceiling as to how many extra seats they could’ve gained. 

three, four but something that shows and reflects a better margin of votes in favour of the SNP. 
10 was just a choice of a number for me to express a bigger gap between the rest of the combined pack. 

Spellczech
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Yeah, but they saved first and spent later. That is not the UK's way - we spend first then work out how to pay for it...

Spellczech
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Er, a word to the wise.  There are more effective ways to win a political argument than by suggesting that one's wife is ill-informed and has poor judgement.  :cheese:

Hmmn well, she's politically clueless as she herself admits. She voted for Brexit too...

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

three, four but something that shows and reflects a better margin of votes in favour of the SNP. 
10 was just a choice of a number for me to express a bigger gap between the rest of the combined pack. 

It was a great result for the SNP, to get the biggest vote recorded in Scotland after 14 years in power is exceptional by any metric

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

It was a great result for the SNP, to get the biggest vote recorded in Scotland after 14 years in power is exceptional by any metric

I totally agree but my point (probably not very well made) is the reward was only one seat to the good.