*** St Midden v Heart Of Midlothian - Rescheduled for 11/3 ***

JamboPete

kingantti1874

Any ****ing chance at all that we will get to play a fixture in anything other than gale force winds and driving rain..

it is a massive leveller, I believe we would have beaten Hamilton last week if it was not for the conditions and this may be the same

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Morgan

• Jambof3tornado

Just now, The Treasurer said:

Why do people insist on going on about the weather being fine in January/makes a joke of the winter break etc

The winter break has nothing to do with the weather in this country, it is designed purely to give the players a break

Yip. The clue is in the title.

Coming down in sheets in Paisley right now. Will swing by the ground later and relay any info.

Brian Fantana
21 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

The midfield and creative attacker mix is a much bigger issue imo but all we keep hearing is high line high line high line. It's boring and easy.

This, this and this again. It's been our issue for 2-3 years and is proving very hard to resolve. And got a lot worse with the loss of Djoum over the summer. 

The Mighty JTs

Walker has looked our only real threat in the last few games but it infuriates me when he moves in so central. I know this is the tactic to have to full backs provide the width but could not understand how against 10 men last week the "wingers" didnt spend 5-10 minutes staying really wide to try and pull defenders out and create space. I feel walker is most dangerous moving from wide to central, such as his goal against Hamilton, instead of trying to start central where it is very congested.

This being off would be to our advantage.    We have players missing (when do we ever not) plus they'll be on a high after their cup win.

Edited by Victorian

The Mighty JTs
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This being off would be to our advantage.    We have players missing (when do we ever not) plus they'll be on a high after their cup win.

On the flip side could look at it as they played 120 minutes 3 days ago and we might be able to take advantage of that but I may be just clutching at straws here.

If this game goes ahead, the St Mirren groundsman must be a magician. Horrendous conditions at midnight and I got woke up with the wind and rain battering the flat about 5am and it's been torrential since.

I'd be amazed if this is on.

20 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Why do people insist on going on about the weather being fine in January/makes a joke of the winter break etc

The winter break has nothing to do with the weather in this country, it is designed purely to give the players a break

Give the players a break and then have them playing three games a week with fixture  problems if teams in Europe progress.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty JTs said:

On the flip side could look at it as they played 120 minutes 3 days ago and we might be able to take advantage of that but I may be just clutching at straws here.

That never seems to help us.    Our players never look the fittest of specimens.    

Sexton Hardcastle

Can’t wait for the bandwagon to be in full swing, the cup to be ours and the good times back once we sneak a win tonight.

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This.

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

The main reason we are in this mess is our players go out on to the pitch thinking they have to just turn up and they will win. 
That was clearly obvious in both the Kilmarnock and Hamilton games at home recently. 
It about time they realised they are the worst team in the league and try to do something about it!! 

Not much point in telling the fans that. 

None of us play for Hearts. 🤔

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Aye, in a way I agree but st liedown have played a lot of football lately. 

All in all I’d rather it was off and played in better weather, simply because we haven’t played great in the two games we’ve played in shitty conditions and because I think a re-group and tweak of the tactics would be better achieved with a wee bit extra time. 

The Treasurer
27 minutes ago, Boab said:

Yip. The clue is in the title.

Coming down in sheets in Paisley right now. Will swing by the ground later and relay any info.

Any updates on weather/pitch conditions etc greatly appreciated by those of us travelling through tonight

The Treasurer
9 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Give the players a break and then have them playing three games a week with fixture  problems if teams in Europe progress.

I never said it was a good idea

Nicholas Brody
28 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

off the top of my head I can think of Burke for killie against us. As you say It’s stupid errors costing us. 

That's the one I thought about but even then, I think a competent keeper would have done better.  He wouldn't have got into that space right enough though.

Just now, The Treasurer said:

Any updates on weather/pitch conditions etc greatly appreciated by those of us travelling through tonight

No worries.

Another thing that might have a bearing is the Main Stand(East) has no real protection from the wind and rain coming from the west.

Right now I’d say doubtful tbh.

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 12:48, Sir Gio said:

I wouldn't have Clare anywhere near the defence to be honest. A goal start for the opposition. Defending has been a real problem for him again. His best work is anywhere out of our own third

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 12:51, amadjambo said:

Disagree. Yes he gave a penalty away, but ultimately the blame lies with Souttar for that disaster. Clare has been our best player for weeks now.

It's not just about Clare giving away that penalty and Souttar being at fault. A lot of opposition attacks are punting the ball over and with Clare being so far away from right back it's been a problem for him to get back and defend quickly enough thus exposing Souttar. Clare is basically being asked to play two roles in the team, get forward to support the midfield/forward line and get back and defend. Can't have both, it's one or the other. Clare has been one of the most consistent players yes and he's been very decent getting forward, however it's not his natural position. Have to go with a flat back four tonight and Smith where he's supposed to be, at right-back where he and Clare can control that side of the pitch. Dikamona should play beside Smith with Souttar then Hickey. Halkett should be in front of the back two to link midfield to front as well as being a goal threat himself. If Boyce isn't playing then it has to be Washington and Naismith up top. Could actually do a lot worse than play Halkett as a striker seeing as he was one before and he's scored more than our actual "strikers!" My choice for this game would be.....

...........…………Doyle

Smith, Dikamona, Souttar, Hickey

..Clare, Halkett, Sibbick, Walker

……….Naismith, Washington

subs: Zlamal, Bozanic, Avdijaj,

Ikpeazu, Irving, Meshino, Damour

Edited by jambonian

kingantti1874

Smith, Clare 

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

It's not just about Clare giving away that penalty and Souttar being at fault. A lot of opposition attacks are punting the ball over and with Clare being so far away from right back it's been a problem for him to get back and defend quickly enough thus exposing Souttar. Clare is basically being asked to play to roles in the team, get forward to support the midfield/forward line and get back and defend. Can't have both, it's one or the other. Clare has been one of the most consistent players yes and he's been very decent getting forward, however it's not his natural position. Have to go with a flat back four tonight and Smith where he's supposed to be, at right-back where he and Clare can control that side of the pitch. Dikamona should play beside Smith with Souttar then Hickey. Halkett should be in front of the back two to link midfield to front as well as being a goal threat himself. If Boyce isn't playing then it has to be Washington and Naismith up top. Could actually do a lot worse than play Halkett as a striker seeing as he was one before and he's scored more than our actual "strikers!" My choice for this game would be.....

...........…………Doyle

……….Naismith, Washington

not a bad side but at least 3 of them are out.

41 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

We were glad of the break this year gave us a chance to get injured players back. 

I guess it would be the same for all teams. So it's worth while imo. 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Smith, Clare 

not a bad side but at least 3 of them are out.

Unsure of who's available or not but this would be the preferred choice if possible and hopefully staying with it we'd see some stability over the next few weeks.

Horatio Caine
33 minutes ago, The Mighty JTs said:

Teams sometimes suffer an anti-climax effect after a hard fought and emotional win.  If this game actually goes ahead tonight, I'd be hoping for that effect to kick in.

Horatio Caine
1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

I think our gang of ******s don't like playing in the bad weather, so a postponed game could do is a favour.

TBH I think playing in torrential rain and a gale is just wrong - for players and for supporters.  Sooner the game's called off, the better.

Fitzroy Pointon

Quite a bit of flooding in Paisley this morning.  Right over all lanes at Millarston and it doesn't seem to be letting up any time soon.  

19 minutes ago, jambonian said:

It's not just about Clare giving away that penalty and Souttar being at fault. A lot of opposition attacks are punting the ball over and with Clare being so far away from right back it's been a problem for him to get back and defend quickly enough thus exposing Souttar. Clare is basically being asked to play two roles in the team, get forward to support the midfield/forward line and get back and defend. Can't have both, it's one or the other. Clare has been one of the most consistent players yes and he's been very decent getting forward, however it's not his natural position. Have to go with a flat back four tonight and Smith where he's supposed to be, at right-back where he and Clare can control that side of the pitch. Dikamona should play beside Smith with Souttar then Hickey. Halkett should be in front of the back two to link midfield to front as well as being a goal threat himself. If Boyce isn't playing then it has to be Washington and Naismith up top. Could actually do a lot worse than play Halkett as a striker seeing as he was one before and he's scored more than our actual "strikers!" My choice for this game would be.....

...........…………Doyle

……….Naismith, Washington

Would be a solid team by the looks of it but I wouldn't drop Bobby he came in could do nothing with the two goals and never made a mistake that I recall. Keep chopping and changing keepers could be counterproductive although I wouldn't let Pereira near the team again

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Sheva said:

Would be a solid team by the looks of it but I wouldn't drop Bobby he came in could do nothing with the two goals and never made a mistake that I recall. Keep chopping and changing keepers could be counterproductive although I wouldn't let Pereira near the team again

Agree, Bobby is the best of 3 poor keepers

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

See for all the chat of our back line being too high and both fullbacks going at same time etc?

How many goals have we actually lost as a direct result of this? Not many I'd bet. An amount which make the tactic a worthwhile positive tactical risk.

The basic defending - and goalkeeping - of individuals at key moments has let us down. Bad decision making and technique.

It's an easy issue for pundits and managers to pick up on, our high line. Everyone else in Scotland pretty much defends deep and most games are that of attrition, something which holds us back. New tactic being used and everyone starts flapping.

It hasn't been perfect but all I'm saying is I wish our supporters would stop picking up the tactical analysis of our numbskull pundits and running with it to beat our manager.

The midfield and creative attacker mix is a much bigger issue imo but all we keep hearing is high line high line high line. It's boring and easy.

:spoton:

38 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Would imagine with it being televised that they might put a cover over the pitch so the rain shouldn't effect it.

You've obviously never tried to pitch a tent in the wind!

See for all the chat of our back line being too high and both fullbacks going at same time etc?

How many goals have we actually lost as a direct result of this? Not many I'd bet. An amount which make the tactic a worthwhile positive tactical risk.

The basic defending - and goalkeeping - of individuals at key moments has let us down. Bad decision making and technique.

It's an easy issue for pundits and managers to pick up on, our high line. Everyone else in Scotland pretty much defends deep and most games are that of attrition, something which holds us back. New tactic being used and everyone starts flapping.

It hasn't been perfect but all I'm saying is I wish our supporters would stop picking up the tactical analysis of our numbskull pundits and running with it to beat our manager.

Easily the most sensible thing posted on here in ages. 

Just now, Salad Fingers said:

Quite a bit of flooding in Paisley this morning.  Right over all lanes at Millarston and it doesn't seem to be letting up any time soon.  

Aye, just passed the bridge at the bottom of Greenhill Rd. It’s like Lake Como already. 
Jumped in to reception at ground but no news as yet. 
Hope they call it off really early if that’s the case because it’s not letting up.

Not fair on travelling fans to leave it too late.

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Aye, just passed the bridge at the bottom of Greenhill Rd. It’s like Lake Como already. 
Jumped in to reception at ground but no news as yet. 
Hope they call it off really early if that’s the case because it’s not letting up.

Not fair on travelling fans to leave it too late.

Paisley , lake Como !

Thats certainly a first .

If game was cancelled would it be scheduled for next week?

Exactly. The cause of us losing so many goals recently is basic footballing individual errors that our well paid professionals should not be making, not tactics or game plans. 

Just now, johnthomas said:

Paisley , lake Como !

Thats certainly a first .

If game was cancelled would it be scheduled for next week?

🤣

In name only !

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, That-Day-In-May said:

Weather is brutal here in Paisley. I imagine the game will only get called off because of the high winds. St Mirrens groundsman knows what he’s doing so the park will be fine. Hoping the game goes ahead the last thing we need is fixture congestion.

They wont call it off because of the wind. No worse than falkirk I can guarantee it.

One of my work mates is working in Paisley just now and said the rain has been torrential. Forecast not great either. Hopefully common sense will prevail. 

Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

They wont call it off because of the wind. No worse than falkirk I can guarantee it.

I agree. Problem is, even with one of the best surfaces in the league, it’s not plastic !

It won’t be the wind, just the sheer volume of rain.

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Very good post.

Off the top of my head I can only think of (since Aberdeen game) Ali McCanns goal, Chris Burke’s goal and Hamilton’s 1st goal. If you think other than them 3 we have conceded another 11 goals due to set pieces or individual errors then it shows the mistakes are costing us a lot more than the tactics.