Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

53 minutes ago, LMc said:

Initial Moderna results have been published.

Excellent, the more the better, because there is going to an almighty demand which means that no one single vaccine will be able to cope with the initial demand, so the more different vaccines available the better.

Of course some will prove to be better than others, but that is something we'll learn as time goes on.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Moderna vaccine releases similar good data.  The UK hasn't yet bought into this one.  

Tories backing the wrong horses again. 

41 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Lost count of the number of times I’ve had to walk back to the car to get a mask or got back in post-shopping and driven off still wearing it. Sure loads of people have had same experience - especially oldies.

I wear glasses when driving.  Can't a mask with glasses on - they would mist up in seconds causing me to be a danger on the road.

Edited by frankblack

Don't really want to get involved in the school debate as I don't have a dog in this fight, however just seen a report on Sky News and Hull & East Ridings Health Board are wanting schools closed, because infections rates are not going down despite all the other measures in place.

They also said that it's not just here that there are growing calls to close schools, New York, Austria, Greece, Hungary and a few other countries have either closed or are considering closing schools again, and again the reasons are that all the other measures haven't worked and closing schools is basically the last tool in the box that's left to try and control the spread.

I am not making a comment either for or against closing schools, I am merely writing what I've seen on Sky News.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Same with the joggers on narrow pavements, puffing out their lungs as they run past normal pedestrians. Get to Meadowbank and do laps. Selfish, ignorant twits.

Suck it up. :jj:

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Obviously everyone is different, but I'm currently working from home, there are a few folk who's job involves driving round dropping off/picking up paperwork.  Having spoken to two of them, they just keep their masks on as its easier than taking them on and off /sanitising and setting to a building and realising they've left it in the car.

Ok, 👍

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I don't think anyone is blaming kids.

People are pointing out the obvious flaw in SG strategy to control the virus with the main transmission vector banging away merrily.

They are trying to bail out a boat with a bucket that has no bottom.  That's why the numbers are 1200-1500 per day 4-6 weeks after the two 'problem areas' were shut down.

Exactly TMT - Its nothing to do with blame and everything to do with controlling the virus. 

10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

It's a bitter pill to swallow. Obviously it would have been hard at any time by any means but somehow this seems all the harder. This virus is something that for most largely only exists on the news till it touches you directly as it has me.

He wasn't young but he was physically relatively healthy for his age. Probably had years ahead of him if not for this. Somebody eats a bat in China and months later my dad dies in Scotland because of it.

I'm in the States and wont even be able to attend his funeral. If I went home I would immediately be in quarantine for two weeks. The whole thing is hard to take. 

It must be really terrible for you, JFK-1. Please feel free to PM at any time if you need/want to.

Scottish numbers: 16 November 2020

Summary

• 717 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-442]
  • 6 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends)   [+6]
  • 98 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-2]
  • 1,227 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-14]
  • 10,093 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 8.3% of these were positive [-8,369; +1.1%]

Per-board, per-100,000 case stats. Note that figures are all low, as can happen when reporting the Sunday (yesterday's) figures, but there is no indication that there have been delayed test results causing this.

Scotland 13 [-8].

Forth Valley 21 [-2], Lanarkshire 21 [-13].

Greater Glasgow 19 [-20], Ayrshire 13 [-11], Borders 12 [-4], Fife 11 [-7], Lothian 11 [-1], Tayside 10 [-2].

Others: less than 10.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Note sure this is the best source anyway. I had a meeting yesterday with a lady/business that does some work for me. Anyway we ‘re chatting and the ladies son and law works at the place at livingston Valneva ( I think its called), think they part of the production arm for the Oxford vaccine partnership.

He is a very senior and according to him, via her. They are good to go from the 1st Dec, she stated that he believed they are actually ahead of Pzifer. Now i did try and question her on exactly what means good to go. She seems to believe that meant approval.

Now I’m not sure she’s got that right, but I do know her son in law in very senior in that place and she is not the sort to exaggerate and whilst she ain’t no scientist, she is a very clever and tuned up individual.

She is also in higher risk category and has recently done a complete flip on concerns to vaccine on to she’s taking it a s soon as possible. Not sure if that’s caused by frustration of restrictions or speaking to the son in law and being convinced.

Not sure that helps 🤷🏻‍♂️

That backs up what one of their* senior execs told Radio Scotland (a good 2 months ago) that they were good to go on production for their stage of the process once a vaccine was approved.

It was in tens of millions, maybe up to 40m from what I recall listening to.

I'm sure when he was on RS he was 'encouraging' the Scottish Government to 'keep them in the loop'

*I don't remember the name, but it was Livingston based.

Anyway, sounds extremely positive.👍

Edited by DETTY29

18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Per-board, per-100,000 case stats. Note that figures are all low, as can happen when reporting the Sunday (yesterday's) figures, but there is no indication that there have been delayed test results causing this.

Scotland 13 [-8].

Greater Glasgow 19 [-20], Ayrshire 13 [-11], Borders 12 [-4], Fife 11 [-7], Lothian 11 [-1], Tayside 10 [-2].

Just want to say I appreciate these updates, thanks :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

I pasted three schools the other day at end of play saw 80 parents standing next to each other.

That's where the problem lies. 

Deleted- I'm not getting involved.

Edited by graygo

Dennis Reynolds
48 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

That does look good. Going to have to record it so I can watch inside Tynecastle though 🤔

Heartsmad1874
11 minutes ago, LMc said:

That does look good. Going to have to record it so I can watch inside Tynecastle though 🤔

Indeed. Thank god for record option and catch up tele otherwise i'd have to miss i'm a celebrity and dispatches.

2 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

I pasted three schools the other day at end of play saw 80 parents standing next to each other.

That's where the problem lies. 

Yup - the school drop off / pick up is an excuse for folk to stand around in groups chatting away as if nothing was happening. I see the same every time I drop the wee man off at primary school. 

3 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

You need to look outside your own bubble as well though, look more closely and you will see that it is the 15-24 age group that is the most worrying one for cases. So maybe a distance learning program for them and increasing other measures to stop them mixing would be what works best. That would also reduce numbers in schools making them safer for the younger pupils and keep primary schools open.

For me the only other option is back to full lockdown like March until vaccine gets here.

Your last option is not a viable one. That boat has sailed as the population will not adhere to another lockdown.  We simply have to live  work and play around Covid and try to protect those in care homes and hospitals who are most susceptible to catching it and most vulnerable when they do. Putting life and the population on hold while we await a vaccine would be nonsensical. Govts need to start levelling with the public: where is it spreading? Who is catching it and how are they being infected?  Instead of trotting out daily figures about cases, let's have some more useful, nuanced stats.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Scotland 13 [-8].

Ok those figures look good as it was the weekend but even on a bad day the figures are coming down are they not? 

So why now put places into tier 4? 
Surely the time to do that was two months ago with cases going through the roof in Glasgow 

None of what they are doing makes any sense 

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

Just want to say I appreciate these updates, thanks :thumbsup:

No problem at all, Shanks. I'm glad they are of use to you. :thumb: To be honest, it only takes me a couple of minutes of my time to get the data and do some basic calculations. What you don't see is the invisible fervent wish embedded in each post that we can start to see these figures coming down asap.

If there's any analysis or any figures that you want that are unavailable on the very useful Travelling Tabby site, then please do let me know.

3 minutes ago, theshed said:

Ok those figures look good as it was the weekend but even on a bad day the figures are coming down are they not? 

So why now put places into tier 4? 
Surely the time to do that was two months ago with cases going through the roof in Glasgow 

None of what they are doing makes any sense 

The figures do look good, TS, but one day's data should never be taken in isolation.

I completely agree, there should have been increased restrictions in Greater Glasgow long before the tier system came in, and then in Lanarkshire and Ayrshire after that when the cases spread from Greater Glasgow outwards due to the inaction, although that may have not been required if they had moved sooner on Greater Glasgow.

Even at the introduction of the tiers (https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/advice-and-guidance/2020/10/coronavirus-covid-19-allocation-of-levels-to-local-authorities/documents/allocation-of-levels-to-local-authorities/allocation-of-levels-to-local-authorities/govscot%3Adocument/Allocation%2Bof%2Blevels%2Bto%2Blocal%2Bauthorities%2B-%2Bcorrected%2B-%2B29%2BOctober%2B2020%2B2.pdf), you will see that they generally put an area into the tier of its greatest indicator. Stand-out exceptions to this were the Lanarkshires where all the indicators stood at 4 but even then they were both still placed into tier 3. That is an example of being afraid to make the difficult decisions, imo.

1 hour ago, windsor1874 said:

Here's a novel idea. How's about there's more joggers and we get away from being the sick man of Europe. A few more people taking some personal responsibility for their own health is a good thing. Maybe if the country stopped eating so much junk food and killing ourselves with alcohol. Who knows, those "underlying health conditions" may be a lot less in number...

Obesity has been a main underlying health condition which is contributed to the deaths. Its no surprise that its the UK which has highest rates of deaths. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

As long as they run about away from the normal people who use the pavements as intended, folk can do whatever they please.

Agreed about taking responsibility for your own health - NHS surcharges for folk outwith normal BMI and other metrics would be a good start.

My pet hate too. The joggers. Two of them just run passed me huffing and puffing...

1 hour ago, windsor1874 said:

Here's a novel idea. How's about there's more joggers and we get away from being the sick man of Europe. A few more people taking some personal responsibility for their own health is a good thing. Maybe if the country stopped eating so much junk food and killing ourselves with alcohol. Who knows, those "underlying health conditions" may be a lot less in number...

Well said , but you never mentioned Fags & Vaping

Shanks said no
4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've asked the very same question.

Imo this is what can happen when fear outweighs rationality.

It is possible that solo drivers wearing masks are actually following some of the proper guidelines.

some of the correct advice for mask wearing includes
- Wash your hands before putting on your mask

- Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- Wear a mask correctly for maximum protection
- Don’t put the mask around your neck or up on your forehead
- Don’t touch the mask, and, if you do, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer to disinfect
- Take Off Your Mask Carefully, When You’re Home
- Fold outside corners together
- Place mask in the washing machine 
- Be careful not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth when removing and wash hands immediately after removing.

So if you are following this advice you won't take off your mask when you get in your car, you will keep it on.

Have to say I am not following these rules and am constantly taking my mask off, laying it down, not washing my hands when I put it back on etc

4 hours ago, weehammy said:

Lost count of the number of times I’ve had to walk back to the car to get a mask or got back in post-shopping and driven off still wearing it. Sure loads of people have had same experience - especially oldies.

I usually get to the door, and then let out a 'Feck!' before walking back to the van for the mask. :D Now I stick it on when I get in the van. 

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, Victorian said:

Moderna vaccine releases similar good data.  The UK hasn't yet bought into this one.  

3 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

Tories backing the wrong horses again. 

I'd imagine none of the Tory party backers or grandees have any money in Moderna.

Heartsmad1874
15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I cant see it on the tv listings ?

Channel 4: New, Lockdown Chaos. How the government lost control, 9pm.

1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Channel 4: New, Lockdown Chaos. How the government lost control, 9pm.

cheers

Heartsmad1874
Just now, Victorian said:

Hat Mancock sounded as pished as ever but he says they've ordered 5m Moderna vaccinations today.

Seems to be more effective and can be stored at a lower temperature than Pfizer. Fantastic news.

:toasting:

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Hat Mancock sounded as pished as ever but he says they've ordered 5m Moderna vaccinations today.

His monotone is sleep inducing. 

Just now, Heartsmad1874 said:

Seems to be more effective and can be stored at a lower temperature than Pfizer. Fantastic news.

:toasting:

Hopefully a higher temperature.  Yes that would help the logistics.  

Just now, Irufushi said:

Don’t depress yourself watching more covid misery . 👍

ill prob just watch " im a celeb" crap...

Heartsmad1874
Just now, Irufushi said:

Don’t depress yourself watching more covid misery . 👍

Tbf its only going into more detail on what we already know. Governments have made a right old mess of it.

1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Hearts documentary, BBC One Scotland 9pm 👍🏻

OH forgot about that. that takes priority.

kingantti1874

Level 4 announced tomorrow. Not sure if full central belt or only the west..

it should be the full central belt, Scotland is too small for local restrictions to work

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Level 4 announced tomorrow. Not sure if full central belt or only the west..

it should be the full central belt, Scotland is too small for local restrictions to work

Not a chance should places like Edinburgh be in Tier 4. Utter madness if they do that.

May aswell do away with the tier system if Scotlands too small, no point punishing places like Edinburgh because Glasgows nearby.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

kingantti1874

Should extend school holidays to 4/5 weeks. Shorten next years summer holidays so the kids don’t miss out. By that time you have to hope vaccine is having an impact. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic