Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just now, JFK-1 said:

At 12:40pm today my dad died due to coronavirus symptoms.

Bloody hell mate that's terrible, all the best in this difficult time to all your family.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin

3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Behave, you silly little man. 

I'm a big man. Now are you going to answer the question?

2 hours ago, XB52 said:

Yes

Can you back this claim up please?

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You simply can't compare England and Scotland and conclude that hospitality is the difference.  England is far more densely populated than here for a start, with a far larger number of big towns and cities. Scotland has a third of the land mass but only a twelth of the population.  That's a huge factor. Why, when pubs have been closed in Scotland for 6 weeks now, are we still getting the same number of cases? Closing hospitality has made not a blind bit of difference.  Those who would break the rules in pubs are simply doing it in their houses now, with others.

Care homes, as the name suggests, involve staff being close and personal to residents while feeding and washing them, for example.  As NT said, patients are far less likely to follow the rules, nor remember them, in care homes. 

Hospitality customers are permanently 6ft away from everyone else, sometimes separated by screens, and mask wearing is compulsory while away from the table. There is minimal risk in the vast majority of hospitality settings. 3 - 4% of outbreaks attributable to these venues, tells it's own story. Any pub that had so much as a single case was headline news. I can remember about 5 or 6 in Edinburgh and the only one I can remember closing was for a deep clean due to a staff member testing positive. Not one of the other staff members caught it. Shutting public transport and supermarkets would be far more useful but, of course, impractical.

England is more densely populated and that has to be a factor but it is by no means uniform. Edinburgh has one of the highest pop dens in the UK and one of the lowest infection rates.

Closing hospitality has allowed us to flatten the curve of infection increases. Have you forgotten how quickly the infection rates were rising prior to the tier system? We have now been flat for a couple of weeks because infections are now mostly coming from and being spread by other sources. You should remember some hospitality is still open in level 3 and considerable hospitality open in level 2. Three level 2 areas have now moved to level 3. The increases in these areas offsetting the decline elsewhere. This is another indication that hospitality venues spread the disease. We will see the rates decline in these areas now that the pubs have closed same as they did elsewhere.

How do you know none of the other staff members caught it? you can't possibly know this. Your point on care homes doesn't add up either. Yes staff and residents are in close proximity but they are protected and there is no danger of infection anyway if neither has the virus. The chances of catching the virus multiply when you come onto contact with lots of different people like in a pub or restaurant. Care home staff are now routinely tested for this reason.

14 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

so sorry to hear this. Thoughts with you and your family. Take care ♥️

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I hope everyone is doing just fine. We might argue but we're all struggling and need to watch out for each other. 

I think JiH has hacked your account....

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Aw man. Forget all the childish sparring above. Really sorry for your loss mate. Keep your chin up. Peace and love. 🕊 ❤

Does anyone think Glasgow will move up a tier ?  Swinney said earlier in the week possibly but said today not inevitable?  Surely if they do then there will be a mass exodus from universities in Glasgow should she announce it and that’s not good

Edited by 1971fozzy

3 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

England is more densely populated and that has to be a factor but it is by no means uniform. Edinburgh has one of the highest pop dens in the UK and one of the lowest infection rates.

Closing hospitality has allowed us to flatten the curve of infection increases. Have you forgotten how quickly the infection rates were rising prior to the tier system? We have now been flat for a couple of weeks because infections are now mostly coming from and being spread by other sources. You should remember some hospitality is still open in level 3 and considerable hospitality open in level 2. Three level 2 areas have now moved to level 3. The increases in these areas offsetting the decline elsewhere. This is another indication that hospitality venues spread the disease. We will see the rates decline in these areas now that the pubs have closed same as they did elsewhere.

How do you know none of the other staff members caught it? you can't possibly know this. Your point on care homes doesn't add up either. Yes staff and residents are in close proximity but they are protected and there is no danger of infection anyway if neither has the virus. The chances of catching the virus multiply when you come onto contact with lots of different people like in a pub or restaurant. Care home staff are now routinely tested for this reason.

It is debatable that you can point to closing hospitality as q factor.  That has been closed in the west coast for the same period.

18 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Sorry to hear that.  My thoughts go out to you and your family at this sad time.

1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

I'm assuming that you weren't in a pub or restaurant post lockdown. You don't come in to contact with multiple people. You are sitting with one other household that you know. The chances of them having the virus are miniscule, as you say yourself.  The pub that I referred to returned negative tests for every single staff member. The virus is simply not as infectious as you believe and there is just no evidence that hospitality is responsible for any significant transmission. Assumptions are not enough when businesses and livelihoods are at stake.

Weakened Offender
21 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It happened. 

2 hours ago, coconut doug said:

Investigative journalism from the Sun. It was a coding error and nobody knew what the real figures were before the error came to light so it was impossible for her to or anybody else to enlighten the public. There were no miscalculations made and no targets not met. The revised figures still show Scotland as the best performing part of the UK with contact testing figures well above the SAGE targets.

We have been told in Scotland that a significant number of people who were traced through the app had been in  hospitality venues but it was pointed out that they did not know where the infections took place for sure just that it was a reasonable assumption that hospitality played a significant part.

Oh they knew okay. They tried to hide it in small print on the Public Health Scotland website. Meanwhile Nicola stood on her soapbox politicking and never alluded to the "revised figures" once.

Pretty gullible you lot. You'll swallow anything as long as it comes packaged in a yellow ribbon delivered by a narcissistic sociopath.

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The virus is simply not as infectious as you believe and there is just no evidence that hospitality is responsible for any significant transmission. Assumptions are not enough when businesses and livelihoods are at stake.

But you have already accepted on this thread that Covid-19 has caused a multiple of the number of deaths caused by flu, and in any case you have just no evidence that Covid-19 isn't infectious.  In the absence of evidence, all you have is your assumption, and in light of your opinion that assumptions are not enough when businesses and livelihoods are at stake, I'm sure you'll also agree that assumptions are not enough when lives are at stake.

Edited by Ulysses

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Oh hell. I'm really sorry to hear that, JFK-1. :(

38 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Oh hell. I'm really sorry to hear that, JFK-1. :(

It's a bitter pill to swallow. Obviously it would have been hard at any time by any means but somehow this seems all the harder. This virus is something that for most largely only exists on the news till it touches you directly as it has me.

He wasn't young but he was physically relatively healthy for his age. Probably had years ahead of him if not for this. Somebody eats a bat in China and months later my dad dies in Scotland because of it.

I'm in the States and wont even be able to attend his funeral. If I went home I would immediately be in quarantine for two weeks. The whole thing is hard to take. 

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

It's a bitter pill to swallow. Obviously it would have been hard at any time by any means but somehow this seems all the harder. This virus is something that for most largely only exists on the news till it touches you directly as it has me.

He wasn't young but he was physically relatively healthy for his age. Probably had years ahead of him if not for this. Somebody eats a bat in China and months later my dad dies in Scotland because of it.

I'm in the States and wont even be able to attend his funeral. If I went home I would immediately be in quarantine for two weeks. The whole thing is hard to take. 

Strength to you, really sorry to hear that

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Condolences jfk1

If it’s a cremation the service can be viewed on webcam which funeral directors can arrange for family £30-£76 I think

and passwords given to those who can’t attend . Not ideal but something

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Awful news jfk. Condolences to you and your family. 

6 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Yes, he opened his mouth. Case proved 

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

So sorry to hear mate, thoughts are with you from the Saunders family.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Very sorry to hear your sad news JFK-1. Condolences to you and your family. 

Nucky Thompson

The boy that I have working with me has been told to isolate.

I pick him up in the van at school after he drops his kids off.

The head teacher contacted him and told him he had come into contact with someone who had tested positive on Thursday. He doesn't have any symptoms.

He was in the van with me all day that day.

Where do I stand about self isolating?

I'm going to postpone all my jobs and have this week off just in case

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

But you have already accepted on this thread that Covid-19 has caused a multiple of the number of deaths caused by flu, and in any case you have just no evidence that Covid-19 isn't infectious.  In the absence of evidence, all you have is your assumption, and in light of your opinion that assumptions are not enough when businesses and livelihoods are at stake, I'm sure you'll also agree that assumptions are not enough when lives are at stake.

some experts have pointed to a few lighter years of deaths of vulnerable people making the pool of vulnerable people larger this year and if covid is getting in first then covids deaths may be inflated - not to mention reporting inconsistencies (albeit not in Ireland apparently) - comparing one years covid deaths to other diseases not the robust comparison anyway

the comment about pneumonia being bacterial which I’m not disputing (I don’t know) might be good for keeping the debate more accurate but fundamentally is it same group of unfortunate people who are dying with very broadly similar types of issues

some experts believe covid is showing signs of acting seasonally ie not unlike the other other corona viruses and don’t believe it is some mega infectious disease vastly different to others - they also believe the testing is very unreliable and could be fundamentally inflating the amount of reported infectious cases - in fact they don’t believe the figures pretty much at all

the experts I’m referring to are that guy yeadon (formerly key guy in Pfizer) heneggen prof of evidence based stats at oxford and the lady prof with letters etc coming out her ears who predicts potentially 130 million dead globally due to hunger as a result of lockdowns

not sure if they’re right but they sound more convincing that Whitty valance boris and wee jimmy k to name just 4 of many

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Jesus mate...sorry to hear that. Thoughts with you and family man. 

jack D and coke
36 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The boy that I have working with me has been told to isolate.

I pick him up in the van at school after he drops his kids off.

The head teacher contacted him and told him he had come into contact with someone who had tested positive on Thursday. He doesn't have any symptoms.

He was in the van with me all day that day.

Where do I stand about self isolating?

I'm going to postpone all my jobs and have this week off just in case

My sister done a girls hair who then tested positive a few days later. She done the test, tested negative but was still told to isolate for 14 days. It finishes tomorrow, she’s fecking demented. 

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

My sister done a girls hair who then tested positive a few days later. She done the test, tested negative but was still told to isolate for 14 days. It finishes tomorrow, she’s fecking demented. 

My granddaughter tested positive and the rest of the family had to self isolate. They got tested and were negative but only had to stay in for 10 days.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My granddaughter tested positive and the rest of the family had to self isolate. They got tested and were negative but only had to stay in for 10 days.

My sister has two boys that weren’t to isolate which I find strange if she was to. It’s almost like they don’t trust the tests. 

Another one of my friends has tested positive today, again caught from their weans. Bit more concerned about todays one as his symptoms are quite bad compared to my other two friends.

In the last 10 days, that's 3 of my mates all tested positive, all working from home, all caught from their kids. One tested negative but their kid tested positive.

Aye but close hospitality and keep the schools open.....

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

That's terrible news. So sorry for your loss mate, thoughts with you and your family.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Another one of my friends has tested positive today, again caught from their weans. Bit more concerned about todays one as his symptoms are quite bad compared to my other two friends.

In the last 10 days, that's 3 of my mates all tested positive, all working from home, all caught from their kids. One tested negative but their kid tested positive.

We’re in a living nightmare here. How we get ourselves out of this is anyone’s guess. 
Scientist saying next winter we shouid be going back to normal...

NEXT ****ING WINTER!!! :facepalm: 

20 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I posted the other day that a friend in Glasgow had to self isolate as his wife and two kids all tested positive.  One of the kids had been told they were a close friend of a positive test in their school year the week before.  Apparently at least 10 in the year tested positive at the same time.

All we need is the SG to show transparency and show the percentage breakdown of sources.  If its showing Schools is a major factor they have to close.

Nucky Thompson
56 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

You only isolate if you are in contact with someone who tests positive, so unless he does you are fine to carry on as normal. 

I kind of thought that, but with the majority of my clients being elderly, I'm not taking any chances.

I'll have this week off and take it from there

13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

We’re in a living nightmare here. How we get ourselves out of this is anyone’s guess. 

We have idiots in positions of power who don't want to admit they got it well wrong.

See if hospitality was the reason for the increase in Glasgow, why have the numbers not come down, now that they've been closed for a month?

You know what they'll do. Come tomorrow they'll announce the closure of whatever else is left in Glasgow and continue to ignore the issue with schools.

What a mess.

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I kind of thought that, but with the majority of my clients being elderly, I'm not taking any chances.

I'll have this week off and take it from there

A very conscientious gigolo. A credit to your profession.

11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It's easy to become despondent at forecasts of that timescale but the context of the comments is key.  Some people give that kind of lengthy estimate in the context of virtual normality returning.  Others have said that we'll see a steady return towards normality from early summer.  

I think we'll see a kind of transitional period with vaccinations beginning to scale up and continued social distancing & mask wearing,  etc.  A much better testing regime will help. Hopefully in early summer we'll have a markedly better 'normal' than now.

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I posted the other day that a friend in Glasgow had to self isolate as his wife and two kids all tested positive.  One of the kids had been told they were a close friend of a positive test in their school year the week before.  Apparently at least 10 in the year tested positive at the same time.

All we need is the SG to show transparency and show the percentage breakdown of sources.  If its showing Schools is a major factor they have to close.

That's why you'll never see that evidence.

The schools here in Glasgow are riddled, if you've got kids you're either isolating because of them or testing positive because of them. 

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Since the schools returned 3 months ago, my daughters high school has only had 3 positive results, the first confirmed case was a teacher.

The harm of kids not being at school far outweighs the harm of a few people catching it from school kids

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Since the schools returned 3 months ago, my daughters high school has only had 3 positive results, the first confirmed case was a teacher.

The harm of kids not being at school far outweighs the harm of a few people catching it from school kids

Nonsense.

When you are having 10 kids testing positive in the same year alone the situation is beyond ****ed.

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Like your post, I can only go on my experience. The numbers of cases in Glasgow schools are getting totally out of hand.

Weans here are now on their 3rd or 4th isolation period, so what's the point of sending them to school when they have to isolate for 10-14 days ever few weeks? It keeps the numbers up and stops other good practicing businesses from opening.

I'm in the office working, we have limited numbers upstairs in the call centre but I'm keeping my distance from anyone I know is a parent. They can't be trusted. If I can't fix their IT issues remotely, not a chance I'm sitting next to them to fix it.

The Real Maroonblood
41 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

My sister has two boys that weren’t to isolate which I find strange if she was to. It’s almost like they don’t trust the tests. 

I think you could be right about the tests.

My granddaughter had no symptoms as well.

The Real Maroonblood
37 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I heard that as well.

What a thought.

40 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

If he's meaning completely normal with no restrictions then that's great news IMO. Better than we could have expected a few weeks ago. We could have been facing this **** for years if there were no successful vaccine trials.

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

I’d more concerned with fixing the IT issues for young adults that are mixing with other households. 

When I see any evidence of that being an issue, I'll react accordingly. Right now, the only people I know having issues or testing positive are parents and children at school.

Meanwhile, my Mrs will likely need to take an enforced 20% reduction in wage by the end of this week, for who knows how long, because of schools staying open.

jack D and coke
24 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

If your sister tests positive then they would have to isolate, only the close contacts of a positive test need to isolate not all the close contacts of a close contact. 

She tested negative and had to isolate for 14 days anyway. She’s not had any symptoms at all. Before you say she could asymptomatic then why don’t her boys have to isolate too? What is that all about? 
What a croc of shit all this is. 

Heartsmad1874
4 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Why do some drivers wear a mask in a car when alone, asking for a friend.

Project fear has really hit them hard :lol: 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic