Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

She tested negative and had to isolate for 14 days anyway. She’s not had any symptoms at all. Before you say she could asymptomatic then why don’t her boys have to isolate too? What is that all about? 
What a croc of shit all this is. 

This is what I don't get.  I can understand if you are traced having supposedly come into contact with a +ive then yes immediately self-isolate until your own test results come back. Positive? Remain in isolation, of course!  Negative? Remain in isolation, :lol:  Why? "Well, sir if truth be told, we don't trust our test results."

But seriously, it doesn't make a lot of sense.  For those a bit more clued up on this is there a lag between contact time and the ability of the test to pick up the virus in your body?  Does it need a few days to circuate? No doubt there will be a couple of catch-alls (there always are, conveniently) like depends upon the individual,  the virus load, etc.

Is it any wonder that a significant chunk of the populace are reluctant to put their lives on hold, loss of income/potential loss of job to self-isolate under such iffily-perceived conditions.

Rightly, or wrongly I suspect a good few folks will be playing the If I'm unwell I'll stay away from work, other people for a few days until I'm better, much like any bad flu bout/virus.

Edited by ArcticJambo

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Nonsense.

When you are having 10 kids testing positive in the same year alone the situation is beyond ****ed.

There's about 1200 pupils or more in each of the bigger high schools in Scotland and you're wanting them shut because a handful of kids have tested positive :rofl:

You obviously don't have kids, or saw the impact closing schools had in the 1st wave.

There's not much that I agree with the SG on, but they're spot on with keeping schools open

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Hopefully this keeps going for a while yet because I'll miss this thread.

Especially when the bun fights start up again.

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

This is what I don't get.  I can understand if you are traced having supposedly come into contact with a +ive then yes immediately self-isolate until your own test results come back. Positive? Remain in isolation, of course!  Negative? Remain in isolation, :lol:  Why? "Well, sir if truth be told, we don't trust our test results."

But seriously, it doesn't make a lot of sense.  For those a bit more clued up on this is there a lag between contact time and the ability of the test to pick up the virus in your body?  Does it need a few days to circuate? No doubt there will be a couple of catch-alls (there always are, conveniently) like depends upon the individual,  the virus load, etc.

Is it any wonder that a significant chunk of the populace are reluctant to put their lives on hold, loss of income/potential loss of job to self-isolate under such iffily-perceived conditions.

Rightly, or wrongly I suspect a good few folks will be playing the If I'm unwell I'll stay away from work, other people for a few days until I'm better, much like any bad flu bout/virus.

She’s self employed and really can’t afford all this nonsense. Like you say though you can see why people flaunt this bullshit. 

42 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Because her boys have not been close contacts with someone who has tested positive. 

But they are in contact with someone who potentially is infected and are feeling going about their business. Makes no sense. 

17 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There's about 1200 pupils or more in each of the bigger high schools in Scotland and you're wanting them shut because a handful of kids have tested positive :rofl:

You obviously don't have kids, or saw the impact closing schools had in the 1st wave.

There's not much that I agree with the SG on, but they're spot on with keeping schools open

:cornette:

I don't think you understand how the virus spreads.

Schools that have outbreaks need closed and deep cleaned.

Don't you think it is better to suppress the virus ahead of keeping kids at school riddled with it?

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

That's why you'll never see that evidence.

The schools here in Glasgow are riddled, if you've got kids you're either isolating because of them or testing positive because of them. 

Surely if that's true then the schools would be empty? Unless your just exaggerating and posting pish, as normal. 

Weakened Offender
30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Correct. 

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

:cornette:

I don't think you understand how the virus spreads.

Schools that have outbreaks need closed and deep cleaned.

Don't you think it is better to suppress the virus ahead of keeping kids at school riddled with it?

My son was sent home before half term because one of his class mates tested positive, they sent his class, and anyone in an other subject class that came into contact with the positive case. As far as I know, no deep cleaning took place and kids were still using class rooms as normal.

This is in Cumbria but is an example of what's going on, I'm not sure if there's a common procedure as to what should happen in the event of a positive test?

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Why do some drivers wear a mask in a car when alone, asking for a friend.

Maybe going to pick someone up? Or just dropped someone off and forgot they were still wearing it.

I've seen people come into my work without a mask and then put one on as they leave.  It's difficult to comprehend what's going through the minds of people tbh.  

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

I've seen people come into my work without a mask and then put one on as they leave.  It's difficult to comprehend what's going through the minds of people tbh.  

Did you confront these criminals?

Just now, Heartsmad1874 said:

Did you confront these criminals?

Why would you confront someone sticking a mask on as they're leaving your place of work?

Heartsmad1874
Just now, Victorian said:

Why would you confront someone sticking a mask on as they're leaving your place of work?

It's mandatory to wear it whilst inside not when leaving, thought that was the whole point of your post considering you said 'Its difficult to comprehend whats going through the minds of people'.

Just now, Heartsmad1874 said:

It's mandatory to wear it whilst inside not when leaving, thought that was the whole point of your post considering you said 'Its difficult to comprehend whats going through the minds of people'.

No it was in the context of other posts wondering about the purpose of mask wearing.

Happy now?

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Gone from blaming students to blaming school kids. 

Stay classy JKB

It’s all good for governments though so they can make excuses to keep this up while they founder around having not a ****ing clue what they’re doing or what to do next other than just treat every problem like it’s a nail and keep using the hammer. Then we all keep blaming each other as to why it’s not completely eradicated. Like that was ever possible. 
What an utter shitshow. 

Edited by jack D and coke

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

We’re in a living nightmare here. How we get ourselves out of this is anyone’s guess. 
Scientist saying next winter we shouid be going back to normal...

NEXT ****ING WINTER!!! :facepalm: 

Maybe a lot sooner but our UK governments need to figure out a way quick to

a) get buy in from the public to do as they are asked instead of pissing around the edges (all 4)

b ) rollout processes quickly, effectively, competently (all 4)

c) put public health at top of decision making and ensure bns aren't skimmed off public purse to give pals and associates first dibs on procurement process. (Tories at WM)

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/16/vaccine-hope-fight-covid-tests-treatments?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by DETTY29

The Mighty Thor
21 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Gone from blaming students to blaming school kids. 

Stay classy JKB

I don't think anyone is blaming kids.

People are pointing out the obvious flaw in SG strategy to control the virus with the main transmission vector banging away merrily.

They are trying to bail out a boat with a bucket that has no bottom.  That's why the numbers are 1200-1500 per day 4-6 weeks after the two 'problem areas' were shut down.

Edited by The Mighty Thor

I wa in Greggs the other and 2 workies came strutting in without a mask, they were not acting so smart when the police wandered in for their lunch behind them 🤣

Spoiler

🤭

Edited by steve123

Blaming the general public for the government failings has been one of the major tactics the Scottish Government have been using from the start. I am surprised folk are just starting to see this. 

Students especially have been treated like utter shit. 

They’ve had to increase the police presence at the east end of princes st (McDonald’s) because of the sheer volume of kids all hanging about after 6pm.  

The policy of ‘let the kids do as they want whilst the adults live with restrictions’ clearly isn’t working.  I don’t blame the kids for acting like kids, the government policies have been a total shambles all through this. Totally useless. 

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Blaming the general public for the government failings has been one of the major tactics the Scottish Government have been using from the start. I am surprised folk are just starting to see this. 

Students especially have been treated like utter shit. 

You don't really have the right to moan about being blamed when you have been openly breaking the rules yourself.

I've asked the very same question.

Imo this is what can happen when fear outweighs rationality.

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You don't really have the right to moan about being blamed when you have been openly breaking the rules yourself.

I have threatened to to break the rules and moaned my arse off about them from the very beginning but on the whole I have pretty much followed every rule that they have set. Haven’t had much choice really other than remaining at home and becoming a hermit. 

So I will moan my tits off as much as I like. 

21 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Maybe a lot sooner but our UK governments need to figure out a way quick to

a) get buy in from the public to do as they are asked instead of pissing around the edges (all 4)

b ) rollout processes quickly, effectively, competently (all 4)

c) put public health at top of decision making and ensure bns aren't skimmed off public purse to give pals and associates first dibs on procurement process. (Tories at WM)

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/16/vaccine-hope-fight-covid-tests-treatments?__twitter_impression=true

Get the military to do that one, but you'd have to make sure it was the Generals who were in charge with no political interference.

Obviously everyone is different, but I'm currently working from home, there are a few folk who's job involves driving round dropping off/picking up paperwork.  Having spoken to two of them, they just keep their masks on as its easier than taking them on and off /sanitising and setting to a building and realising they've left it in the car.

manaliveits105

Excellent news from US 

Is there any point in having Monday briefings when the numbers are always skewed due to registrars being closed (yet they are working from home !!) and todays figures now suggest either a miracle or an error with figures

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Surely if that's true then the schools would be empty? Unless your just exaggerating and posting pish, as normal. 

I only post my experience. Your opinion means nothing to me.

35 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've asked the very same question.

Imo this is what can happen when fear outweighs rationality.

Don't talk shite. It'll be people going to the shops (Put it on in case I have to walk back and get it) or coming back from the shops and haven't taken it off yet. 

Edited by ri Alban

https://www.news18.com/news/world/a-million-dollar-question-arises-as-lab-execs-sell-shares-amid-race-for-covid-19-vaccine-3081680.html

Pfizer, Moderna, Novavax: executives at several American laboratories developing Covid-19 vaccines have recently pocketed millions of dollars by selling shares in their companies -- raising questions about the propriety of such a move in the midst of a national health crisis.

On the very day that pharmaceutical giant Pfizer announced preliminary data showing its vaccine was 90 percent effective against the coronavirus, its chief executive Albert Bourla sold shares worth $5.6 million.

Under the same rules, several Moderna officials have sold shares worth more than $100 million in recent months. That company has not placed a single product on the market since its creation in 2010, but the federal government has committed to paying it up to $2.5 billion if its vaccine proves effective.

Moderna shares have soared from $19 at the beginning of the year to a current level of $90.

The boss of Novavax, for his part, sold $4.2 million in shares on August 18, just over a month after the announcement it would receive public financing of $1.6 billion.

Accountable US, a nonpartisan taxpayers' advocacy group, has calculated that from the start of the federally coordinated effort to develop vaccines on May 15 until August 31, officials at five pharmaceutical companies made more than $145 million by selling shares.

36 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The average time from contact to contracting the illness is 5 days, the maximum is 12 days. So no matter when you are tested in your isolation period you could still become infected with Covid, that’s why you have to stay isolated for the full period even with a negative test. ( don’t know why it’s not 12 days though)

Everyone who has been in close contact with someone else is a potential carrier, currently only those with close contact of some with a positive test have to isolate. That person should be following the isolation guidelines within their own household. 

Thanks.  I assume that the tests only pick up the illness then, and not the virus, if that makes any sense/using the right terminology? In other words, I assume having a test within 5 days is pretty much pointless, a waste of resources, if it's the latter, assuming you're without symptoms or asymptomatic.  The isolation policy must have changed at some point as I don't think it was like that at the beginning back in late Aug/beginning of September.

Just goes to show that testing really is fundamental to beating this but a pity that govts didn't appear to put the necessary resources into really naiing a truly effective one that allowed folks to get on with their lives with minimal impact.  Maybe it was an impossibility to implement such high efficient on-the-spot tests. 

Anyway, let's just hope that the majority investment in vaccines pays dividends in the short to mid-term and ultimately off-sets the set-backs (and some severe ones for some) folks are experiencing just now.

38 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I have threatened to to break the rules and moaned my arse off about them from the very beginning but on the whole I have pretty much followed every rule that they have set. Haven’t had much choice really other than remaining at home and becoming a hermit. 

So I will moan my tits off as much as I like. 

You had a whole lotta fun at your mates Jamboree against Hibs... didn'tcha? Tutt, tutt!

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Note sure this is the best source anyway. I had a meeting yesterday with a lady/business that does some work for me. Anyway we ‘re chatting and the ladies son and law works at the place at livingston Valneva ( I think its called), think they part of the production arm for the Oxford vaccine partnership.

He is a very senior and according to him, via her. They are good to go from the 1st Dec, she stated that he believed they are actually ahead of Pzifer. Now i did try and question her on exactly what means good to go. She seems to believe that meant approval.

Now I’m not sure she’s got that right, but I do know her son in law in very senior in that place and she is not the sort to exaggerate and whilst she ain’t no scientist, she is a very clever and tuned up individual.

She is also in higher risk category and has recently done a complete flip on concerns to vaccine on to she’s taking it a s soon as possible. Not sure if that’s caused by frustration of restrictions or speaking to the son in law and being convinced.

Not sure that helps 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sounds promising.

Cheers for sharing :thumb:

3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I kind of thought that, but with the majority of my clients being elderly, I'm not taking any chances.

I'll have this week off and take it from there

That’s sensible and thoughtful of you . 👍

26 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Don't talk shite. It'll be people going to the shops (Put it on in case I have to walk back and get it) or coming back from the shops and haven't taken it off yet. 

You must know the two people that I was using as an example, better than me then.

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Stupidity and like someone else said really bought into project fear 

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s all good for governments though so they can make excuses to keep this up while they founder around having not a ****ing clue what they’re doing or what to do next other than just treat every problem like it’s a nail and keep using the hammer. Then we all keep blaming each other as to why it’s not completely eradicated. Like that was ever possible. 
What an utter shitshow. 

Very true . It’s been near impossible to eradicate , as proven in most countries so let’s just blame different sections of the community , protestors , ravers , students , children , etc . When in fact anyone can pass it on , it’s simple as that . Closing schools would be a disaster in so many ways . 

14 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

You need to look outside your own bubble as well though, look more closely and you will see that it is the 15-24 age group that is the most worrying one for cases. So maybe a distance learning program for them and increasing other measures to stop them mixing would be what works best. That would also reduce numbers in schools making them safer for the younger pupils and keep primary schools open.

For me the only other option is back to full lockdown like March until vaccine gets here.

Christ on a bike. That could be months or even years. I'm not convinced a vaccine is as ready to go as they are intimating. I'm old enough to remember the Thalidomide scandal.

That would be the end of days.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic