Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

4 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Not a chance should places like Edinburgh be in Tier 4. Utter madness if they do that.

May aswell do away with the tier system if Scotlands too small, no point punishing places like Edinburgh because Glasgows nearby.

Exactly.  Talk of mid lothian and east lothian going to tier 2....very much doubt it though

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Not a chance should places like Edinburgh be in Tier 4. Utter madness if they do that.

May aswell do away with the tier system if Scotlands too small, no point punishing places like Edinburgh because Glasgows nearby.

The local system is pretty crap.  Scotland is too small for it to be effective.. all it does is push people in restricted areas to go to non restricted areas and transports the problem around the country 

Look at fife, I live in west Lothian and I lost count of the number of people who went shopping and for dinner in Dunfermline who would NEVER have contemplated it. Now cases in fife have risen dramatically.

Local lockdowns are actually making the problem worse. There are exceptions such as the highlands of course.

Edited by kingantti1874

Not a chance in hell that Edinburgh,  Midlothian or East Lothian are going to tier 4.  Small chance of West Lothian going up.  East Lothian's next move is more likely down to 2.  City of Edinburgh will be at 3 for quite some time.

Heartsmad1874
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

My missus was speaking to policeman today, who claimed West Lothian was going into lockdown on Friday. (Also Christmas restrictions relaxed for Christmas and Boxing Day only, then back to the tier we go)

It’s would be really difficult to justify Edinburgh and East and Mid going into to tier 4 on numbers etc, Without making the tier system look a bit more of token gesture than it already does. 

You might be right about treating the central belt as a single area. The SG have gone down the council route, they could have probably justified it under Lothian health board. 

I struggle to see how they could justify Edinburgh and East and Mid moving up. Which probably means tier 4 tomorrow 🙈

If they do that it would be absolute lunacy and surely even the avid defenders on here would have no defence for having Edinburgh etc in Tier 4.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

We need more heavy breathing, sweaty superspreaders, IMO.

You called?!

:D

24 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

My missus was speaking to policeman today, who claimed West Lothian was going into lockdown on Friday. (Also Christmas restrictions relaxed for Christmas and Boxing Day only, then back to the tier we go)

It’s would be really difficult to justify Edinburgh and East and Mid going into to tier 4 on numbers etc, Without making the tier system look a bit more of token gesture than it already does. 

You might be right about treating the central belt as a single area. The SG have gone down the council route, they could have probably justified it under Lothian health board. 

I struggle to see how they could justify Edinburgh and East and Mid moving up. Which probably means tier 4 tomorrow 🙈

Not a dig at yourself but no way will the Scottish government relax the rules for Xmas day and Boxing Day. 
Is Covid having the two day holidays itself? 

As I said I know your only saying what you’ve heard plus no one will listen to what they have to say anyway 

As I said a few weeks back I don’t know why the government is making  such a big deal about Xmas? 
I really don’t give a toss about being lockdown as such all for the sake of one day or two days if you include Boxing Day 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Should extend school holidays to 4/5 weeks. Shorten next years summer holidays so the kids don’t miss out. By that time you have to hope vaccine is having an impact. 

Shut down the schools now, and what happens if same thing happens in February or March? What do you do about qualifications for universities that are made and dependent on exams? You would be delaying them which means delays to results which means university starting delayed as well. 

Why punish the young to protect the old? Keep the schools open and shelter the old. 

2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

It is possible that solo drivers wearing masks are actually following some of the proper guidelines.

some of the correct advice for mask wearing includes
- Wash your hands before putting on your mask

- Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- Wear a mask correctly for maximum protection
- Don’t put the mask around your neck or up on your forehead
- Don’t touch the mask, and, if you do, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer to disinfect
- Take Off Your Mask Carefully, When You’re Home
- Fold outside corners together
- Place mask in the washing machine 
- Be careful not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth when removing and wash hands immediately after removing.

So if you are following this advice you won't take off your mask when you get in your car, you will keep it on.

Have to say I am not following these rules and am constantly taking my mask off, laying it down, not washing my hands when I put it back on etc

And just how many people do you think even know this, far less practice it, few, very few I'd wager, and certainly not the two people whom I know personally who wear masks in their car even when they are alone in their car, one being my S-in-L who is absolutely terrified of catching covid and I do mean terrified.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Level 4 announced tomorrow. Not sure if full central belt or only the west..

it should be the full central belt, Scotland is too small for local restrictions to work

Absolutely no justification for such a step. If she puts Edinburgh into L4 then it makes a mockery of the whole plan. 

Shanks said no
10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And just how many people do you think even know this, far less practice it, few, very few I'd wager, and certainly not the two people whom I know personally who wear masks in their car even when they are alone in their car, one being my S-in-L who is absolutely terrified of catching covid and I do mean terrified.

The reason I knew about it was I had to do an online module before being allowed to return to work (even though I had been in every day from 23/3) . About 30 minutes on PPE, masks in particular.

Daughter is a nurse and at the height of the first outbreak was masked up for 4 hours, not allowed to take it off then a break and another 4 hours. 

I do agree though its probably not the main reason, was just throwing it out there.

Shanks said no
11 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Absolutely no justification for such a step. If she puts Edinburgh into L4 then it makes a mockery of the whole plan. 

Hate to say it but I am hearing Central Belt Tier 4. Really hope I am wrong.

9 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Why do some drivers wear a mask in a car when alone, asking for a friend.

I've done it more than once. I do it when driving between the supermarket and work, they're 2 minutes apart and my snood style mask is a pain to take off and put on over long hair so I just leave it - I'll need to wear it when I arrive and I'm used to wearing it all day for long shifts in hot conditions anyway.

I also wore one when I had to borrow my sister in law's car while mine was getting it's MOT.

I made sure to sanitise all surfaces I touched and kept my mask on as a precaution knowing she'd be using it after I dropped it off. I'd wear one if borrowing someone else's car, if hiring a car, if giving someone a lift to work, all legitimate circumstances.

kingantti1874
27 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Shut down the schools now, and what happens if same thing happens in February or March? What do you do about qualifications for universities that are made and dependent on exams? You would be delaying them which means delays to results which means university starting delayed as well. 

Why punish the young to protect the old? Keep the schools open and shelter the old. 

It’s not punishing the young, it’s reducing levels to the point it’s manageable. As the vaccine rolls out then things will get back to normal. Scientists are now lining up to support that things will head back to normal next year

Do you not think of it was possible to simply shelter the old and vulnerable we would have done it? Do you not think people have thought of that and discounted it for reasons which are so unbelievably obvious? 

Edited by kingantti1874

Just now, connlach said:

There will be a lot of areas going up a tier tomorrow going by what i am hearing 😔

Sounds like the SG flapping all over the place here.

It will be an outrage if they put the Lothians into T4 when we should be dropping to T2.

Dagger Is Back
17 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Hate to say it but I am hearing Central Belt Tier 4. Really hope I am wrong.

Christ I hope so too. 

Heartsmad1874
6 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Apparently this is the email going about

FB_IMG_1605556312631.jpg

Doesn't look like Edinburgh/Lothians heading for Tier 4 if thats to be believed.

4 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Apparently this is the email going about

FB_IMG_1605556312631.jpg

If that's true then they're definitely trying to keep things in regions rather than council areas (except for those that are geographically remote such as Moray in Grampian). Inverclyde doesn't really merit tier 4, imo, whereas West Lothian is just as badly hit as some of the areas mentioned.

Just now, Heartsmad1874 said:

Doesn't look like Edinburgh/Lothians heading for Tier 4 if thats to be believed.

Nope even without seeing it I would not have thought they could put Edinburgh/lothian into tier 4 would destroy their tier system.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

If that's true then they're definitely trying to keep things in regions rather than council areas (except for those that are geographically remote such as Moray in Grampian). Inverclyde doesn't really merit tier 4, imo, whereas West Lothian is just as badly hit as some of the areas mentioned.

Yea to be fair I just picked up from my fb, alot of trouble for somebody making it up but who knows.

Just now, steve123 said:

Yea to be fair I just picked up from my fb, alot of trouble for somebody making it up but who knows.

The news sites I read this morning had those exact regions quoted so it looks correct.

If the above document is correct, here's a wee graph of the tiers compared to the current 7-day per-100,000 infection rate. The council areas in darker red are the ones mentioned as being under consideration for Tier 4. The usual provisos apply about this being a static snapshot of the situation, of other indicators being involved etc.

Council Area Tier 7-day per-100,000
Glasgow City 3 266
North Lanarkshire 3 238
Renfrewshire 3 233
South Lanarkshire 3 222
East Dunbartonshire 3 216
Stirling 3 190
East Renfrewshire 3 190
West Dunbartonshire 3 180
West Lothian 3 169
South Ayrshire 3 161
East Ayrshire 3 154
Dundee City 3 142
Fife 3 139
Clackmannanshire 3 128
North Ayrshire 3 125
Falkirk 3 96
Inverclyde 3 95
Perth and Kinross 3 87
Edinburgh City 3 87
Angus 3 84
Scottish Borders 2 72
Midlothian 3 66
East Lothian 3 59
Aberdeen City 2 56
Aberdeenshire 2 54
Dumfries and Galloway 2 48
Argyll and Bute 2 31
Moray 1 30
Highland 1 24
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 19
Orkney Islands 1 4
Shetland Islands 1 4

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

If the above document is correct, here's a wee graph of the tiers compared to the current 7-day per-100,000 infection rate. The council areas in darker red are the ones mentioned as being under consideration for Tier 4. The usual provisos apply about this being a static snapshot of the situation, of other indicators being involved etc.

Glasgow City 3 266
North Lanarkshire 3 238
Renfrewshire 3 233
South Lanarkshire 3 222
Stirling 3 190
East Renfrewshire 3 190
West Lothian 3 169
South Ayrshire 3 161
East Ayrshire 3 154
Dundee City 3 142
Fife 3 139
Clackmannanshire 3 128
North Ayrshire 3 125
Falkirk 3 96
Inverclyde 3 95
Perth and Kinross 3 87
Edinburgh City 3 87
Angus 3 84
Scottish Borders 2 72
Midlothian 3 66
East Lothian 3 59
Aberdeen City 2 56
Aberdeenshire 2 54
Argyll and Bute 2 31
Moray 1 30
Highland 1 24
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 19
Orkney Islands 1 4
Shetland Islands 1 4

Interesting, going by that West Lothian should be tier 4 ...

Heartsmad1874
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Glasgow City 3 266
North Lanarkshire 3 238
Renfrewshire 3 233
South Lanarkshire 3 222
Stirling 3 190
East Renfrewshire 3 190
West Lothian 3 169
South Ayrshire 3 161
East Ayrshire 3 154
Dundee City 3 142
Fife 3 139
Clackmannanshire 3 128
North Ayrshire 3 125
Falkirk 3 96
Inverclyde 3 95
Perth and Kinross 3 87
Edinburgh City 3 87
Angus 3 84
Scottish Borders 2 72
Midlothian 3 66
East Lothian 3 59
Aberdeen City 2 56
Aberdeenshire 2 54
Argyll and Bute 2 31
Moray 1 30
Highland 1 24
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 19
Orkney Islands 1 4
Shetland Islands 1 4

West Lothian still very worrying. Midlothian and East Lothian doing very well and close to Tier 2 stats but don't see how you can have different parts of Edinburgh across 2/3 tiers.

10 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

West Lothian still very worrying. Midlothian and East Lothian doing very well and close to Tier 2 stats but don't see how you can have different parts of Edinburgh across 2/3 tiers.

Unless tomorrow's decisions prove me wrong, I strongly suspect this is influencing their decisions as well. It does mean that West Lothian may avoid Tier 4, but it also means that it is unlikely that the Lothians will move to Tier 2 while there is still a problem in West Lothian.

2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Why would that be? Sorry if I’ve missed something obvious. 

we’ve a daughter who has more or less been locked in with randoms, caught it , done the isolating thing , under tier 3 she can at least go out for lunch and change of scenery etc, but tier 4 and she’s then wanting to come home and as all their classes are online anyway is saying she’s cracking up if the restrictions get worse she’s rather be at home. And they are all saying the same thing. Getting back out of tier 4 will not be quick then your into December with Xmas approaching and they won’t run the risk of it dragging on. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I've done it more than once. I do it when driving between the supermarket and work, they're 2 minutes apart and my snood style mask is a pain to take off and put on over long hair so I just leave it - I'll need to wear it when I arrive and I'm used to wearing it all day for long shifts in hot conditions anyway.

I also wore one when I had to borrow my sister in law's car while mine was getting it's MOT.

I made sure to sanitise all surfaces I touched and kept my mask on as a precaution knowing she'd be using it after I dropped it off. I'd wear one if borrowing someone else's car, if hiring a car, if giving someone a lift to work, all legitimate circumstances.

Cheers bud, it was just an observation i had made , and i have had some good feedback on the subject. Good idea on car sharing, thats for sure.

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Ok, we will see, I didn’t realise going out for coffee was a big student thing, it didn’t exist in my day. 

Brian at University ;)

members-of-the-human-anatomy-and-physiol

2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Ok, we will see, I didn’t realise going out for coffee was a big student thing, it didn’t exist in my day. 

I know but the pubs weren’t all shut in our day so for them to shut down everything and be stuck in halls again isn’t much fun trust me. Getting out for a coffee or lunch is not great for them but at least it’s something. That ends under tier 4.  The phone calls etc aren’t nice to hear and that’s at the moment.

Wonder how the the Sturgeon arse rimmers on here would justify a tier 4 level imposed in Edinburgh if she does that. No doubt they will still find a way to defend her. 

6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I know but the pubs weren’t all shut in our day so for them to shut down everything and be stuck in halls again isn’t much fun trust me. Getting out for a coffee or lunch is not great for them but at least it’s something. That ends under tier 4.  The phone calls etc aren’t nice to hear and that’s at the moment.

I mean its not as if many students have stuck 2 fingers up to the restrictions so far helping the general population to maintain their health

The care to detail shown by many of them should be acknowledged 

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Wonder how the the Sturgeon arse rimmers on here would justify a tier 4 level imposed in Edinburgh if she does that. No doubt they will still find a way to defend her. 

they should just do a country wide 2 week lockdown and be done with it. It’s an absolute horror story

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

I mean its not as if many students have stuck 2 fingers up to the restrictions so far helping the general population to maintain their health

The care to detail shown by many of them should be acknowledged 

agreed

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

While you vent your anger at the law makers, I am angry at the rule breakers and restrictions deniers who have caused the raising of levels and the destruction of business and livelihoods. 

The law makers can’t even follow their own rules. 

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Terrible . Meant to be time of their lives and they are being treated like scum by the Govt . 

10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Most of the folk wanting the schools shut either don't have kids currently at school or have jobs that wouldn't be impacted by having kids at home all day. Given that procreation is pretty much the entire point of being a species, everything should be done to ensure schools stay safely open and parents are given as much support as possible to allow them to continue working and providing for them.

Everyone is starting to only think about themselves cause they are sick of things 

People who want schools shut don’t have kids so don’t care. 
People who want a total lockdown can work from home and have a secure job so don’t care. 
People who want pubs shut don’t go out drinking so don’t care. 

I could go on but people now are only in it for themselves and can’t blame them 

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Personally I can't see the Lothians (West Lothian apart) being placed into Tier 4.

Should have just had all the Lothian’s as one area really 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, theshed said:

Everyone is starting to only think about themselves cause they are sick of things 

People who want schools shut don’t have kids so don’t care. 
People who want a total lockdown can work from home and have a secure job so don’t care. 
People who want pubs shut don’t go out drinking so don’t care. 

I could go on but people now are only in it for themselves and can’t blame them 

I want the pubs to open ASAP.

20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Given that procreation is pretty much the entire point of being a species, “ 

Really ?? 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic