Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

They should just open up for Xmas new year then do full lockdown In January as it’s a depressing month anyway 👍 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, theshed said:

Everyone is starting to only think about themselves cause they are sick of things 

People who want schools shut don’t have kids so don’t care. 
People who want a total lockdown can work from home and have a secure job so don’t care. 
People who want pubs shut don’t go out drinking so don’t care. 

I could go on but people now are only in it for themselves and can’t blame them 

It’s absolutely ideal for the clueless and gutless governments.
We’re all blaming each other. It’s always “them over there that’s causing this no wonder we’re getting locked down harder!”

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, JamesM48 said:

They should just open up for Xmas new year then do full lockdown In January as it’s a depressing month anyway 👍 

You’re spot on about January as it’s probably the worst month of the year.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You’re spot on about January as it’s probably the worst month of the year.

I hate it ! 

I enjoyed my weekend away to Aviemore . It was relatively quiet but hotel was surprisingly busy . Nice to have a few decent meals and draught beers plus a few Bloody Mary cocktails on one night . Pubs were great with the log fires . Only down side was no music as we had to endure a lard arse 67 years old guy chatting . He was with his wife and another couple chatting to another couple . He said to the other couple “ I’ve been married 40 years to her , can you guess which one I’m married to ?” Pointing to the two women he was was with ! Charming ! He then went on and on about a load of 💩 not surprisingly they had also been to Blackpool in October and had a “ f**** brilliant time “ probably brought back the virus 🦠 what a fud 

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I appreciate that might not be a popular view, but it seems to do most species no harm (except pandas, who are shite at it).

Well it’s an interesting view I suppose . Depends what one thinks why we are on earth ? 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s not punishing the young, it’s reducing levels to the point it’s manageable. As the vaccine rolls out then things will get back to normal. Scientists are now lining up to support that things will head back to normal next year

Do you not think of it was possible to simply shelter the old and vulnerable we would have done it? Do you not think people have thought of that and discounted it for reasons which are so unbelievably obvious? 

This is what should of happened all along, but the government all of them have fecked up big time, regardless if a virus doesn't effect the young as it does maybe older people, a virus will be far more able to jump from person to person, as it's active but if you cut of your social interaction with people the virus can't find hosts in order to survive. 

People have it all wrong a virus doesn't want to kill you, It wants to find host after host so it potentially mutates into something worse, or sometimes it can get weaker hopefully weaker for the coronavirus. 

How the **** can people think its normal for kids to be sitting in class, sitting important exams, which will potentially do damage to there future. There all wearing masks it's not ****ing normal. Then you have the educational board saying they will be judged on work in class, are you for real, why not get this under control, achieve herd imummity through vaccination, which would only take 60-70% of the population in the UK. 

I can only imagine how much stressed kids are at school, just now including teachers. 

The only way we will truly defeat this if we all are on the same page together, how can people be expected to stay at home when they aren't well, they have bills to pay kids to feed, you can't expect people not to work, it's the only way to survive, we need to all suffer in this together, what i mean by this we need to shutdown the country for 4-6 weeks, we need to freeze everything. 

if people can't go to work, we have to freeze credit card bills, we have to freeze loan payments, everything has to freeze together. 

The problem is that the last lockdown was lumpy, well you know you can't go to work,or you lost your job, but we are still going to collect the rent or the bank still wants it's interest, No, No, No, we have to suffer together, so a 4-6 week national lockdown, keeping things that are essential open, leisure, travel, buses, planes we don't need that. 

The other way it can work is a vaccine, number 1 the vaccine has to be effective, number 2 in order for the vaccine to work two thirds of the population must get the vaccine, it won't work if say just 20 million people get it, because the other 47 million there vulnerable and they are still going to be host to the virus, and then it still stays alive, so we have to get two thirds of the population together, then we have up produce enough of it. 

The government are trying to rush science that's not how it works, you can't rush science, based on political desires, science doesn't work based on election days, it's science this is something that's been happening, since the beginning of time and all of a sudden they want science to be something it's not, science doesn't have a clock, the only clock on science is truth that's it, and it takes what it takes to make it happen 

If the vaccines are true and are as effective as they say they are, then I really think as a world we could eradicate this virus i really do. 

It's mortality rate isn't is high as some diseases we have managed to eradicate, what's peoples general thoughts? 

13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

With a mass exodus to the Canaries to get a break from this goddam country, our hapless politicians and those daily political briefings 👍

9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Don't think I'd really notice if every January was locked down, TBH.

Aye it’s a desolate bleak month for sure 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

This is what should of happened all along, but the government all of them have fecked up big time, regardless if a virus doesn't effect the young as it does maybe older people, a virus will be far more able to jump from person to person, as it's active but if you cut of your social interaction with people the virus can't find hosts in order to survive. 

People have it all wrong a virus doesn't want to kill you, It wants to find host after host so it potentially mutates into something worse, or sometimes it can get weaker hopefully weaker for the coronavirus. 

How the **** can people think its normal for kids to be sitting in class, sitting important exams, which will potentially do damage to there future. There all wearing masks it's not ****ing normal. Then you have the educational board saying they will be judged on work in class, are you for real, why not get this under control, achieve herd imummity through vaccination, which would only take 60-70% of the population in the UK. 

I can only imagine how much stressed kids are at school, just now including teachers. 

The only way we will truly defeat this if we all are on the same page together, how can people be expected to stay at home when they aren't well, they have bills to pay kids to feed, you can't expect people not to work, it's the only way to survive, we need to all suffer in this together, what i mean by this we need to shutdown the country for 4-6 weeks, we need to freeze everything. 

if people can't go to work, we have to freeze credit card bills, we have to freeze loan payments, everything has to freeze together. 

The problem is that the last lockdown was lumpy, well you know you can't go to work,or you lost your job, but we are still going to collect the rent or the bank still wants it's interest, No, No, No, we have to suffer together, so a 4-6 week national lockdown, keeping things that are essential open, leisure, travel, buses, planes we don't need that. 

The other way it can work is a vaccine, number 1 the vaccine has to be effective, number 2 in order for the vaccine to work two thirds of the population must get the vaccine, it won't work if say just 20 million people get it, because the other 47 million there vulnerable and they are still going to be host to the virus, and then it still stays alive, so we have to get two thirds of the population together, then we have up produce enough of it. 

The government are trying to rush science that's not how it works, you can't rush science, based on political desires, science doesn't work based on election days, it's science this is something that's been happening, since the beginning of time and all of a sudden they want science to be something it's not, science doesn't have a clock, the only clock on science is truth that's it, and it takes what it takes to make it happen 

If the vaccines are true and are as effective as they say they are, then I really think as a world we could eradicate this virus i really do. 

It's mortality rate isn't is high as some diseases we have managed to eradicate, what's peoples general thoughts? 

what should have happened is the Australia and New Zealand approach, fast - hard, eradicate before the virus takes hold.. I have family in both countries and life is normal, with the exception of holidays.. as an island we could easily have followed suit with proper leadership. 

people talk about the impact to the economy.. which has been far far less than the impact to our economy.

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

With a mass exodus to the Canaries to get a break from this goddam country, our hapless politicians and those daily political briefings 👍

Lol that is my plan ! A week in the canaries towards the end of Jan . Only place open really ‘ 

3 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

What’s the point if you just use stats that aren’t accurate to try and back up your pint anyway. 

Exactly,  I agree. But I think Vallance and Whitty have finally been sidelined.  Last seen having a beer with Lord Lucan. Those graphs and the fictitious figures that were used to hold the PM hostage and force lockdown. 😮

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Lol that is my plan ! A week in the canaries towards the end of Jan . Only place open really ‘ 

Yes, I'm planning that too. Need to find a boozer showing La Sturge and her daily updates😂

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I'm planning that too. Need to find a boozer showing La Sturge and her daily updates😂

Oh no thanks that’s a reason I’m might get going to avoid all that 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Wonder how the the Sturgeon arse rimmers on here would justify a tier 4 level imposed in Edinburgh if she does that. No doubt they will still find a way to defend her. 

Of course they will. She's doing a magnificent job...apparently.

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

What’s the difference between Scotland and the other countries on that list???

The SNP?

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

While you vent your anger at the law makers, I am angry at the rule breakers and restrictions deniers who have caused the raising of levels and the destruction of business and livelihoods. 

Typically nationalist and straight out the SNP playbook. Blame everyone else but the people making the decisions.

Businesses and livelihoods are being destroyed ok. I think you'll find the many thousands who have been a victim of these restrictions know exactly where to point the finger.

7 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

They're not being run by an egotistical narcissist with a chip on their shoulder? 🤔

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Most of the folk wanting the schools shut either don't have kids currently at school or have jobs that wouldn't be impacted by having kids at home all day. Given that procreation is pretty much the entire point of being a species, everything should be done to ensure schools stay safely open and parents are given as much support as possible to allow them to continue working and providing for them.

I don't have kids so only have an outsiders view, but what irritates  me is the government's insistance that keeping schools open is for the kids educational benefit.  My nephew is in his second lot of quarantine,  four weeks is a lot for him to miss on top of the times he's had substitute teachers.  During the original lock down there was such a massive difference between what the fee paying schools were delivering and what he was getting at a council school. 

My OH is a peripatetic teacher and has kids and parents contacting him freaking out that the kids have prelims coming up but he's not been allowed in to work since March as he's only allowed in one school per day.

To me if they're going to say it's for the kids benefit's, they need to make sure that they're all getting a decent education. 

Dennis Reynolds
27 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The others aren't attached to England?

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

To me if they're going to say it's for the kids benefit's, they need to make sure that they're all getting a decent education. 

Tbh, that's been a problem for over a decade now. 🙄

29 minutes ago, Alex said:

I don't have kids so only have an outsiders view, but what irritates  me is the government's insistance that keeping schools open is for the kids educational benefit.  My nephew is in his second lot of quarantine,  four weeks is a lot for him to miss on top of the times he's had substitute teachers.  During the original lock down there was such a massive difference between what the fee paying schools were delivering and what he was getting at a council school. 

My OH is a peripatetic teacher and has kids and parents contacting him freaking out that the kids have prelims coming up but he's not been allowed in to work since March as he's only allowed in one school per day.

Exactly and that during these times isn't possible, so only means one thing needs to happen, close schools and pay parents in Jobs that can't, get support outside of work. 

We all have to suffer in this together, how hummanity doesn't understand this is beyond me.

There logic is so stupid it's actually not even funny to laugh, let's close businesses and other stuff because that's where virus is transmitting. 

But sir what about they school kids sir, ah very few of them die if they die, so we can kept them like sheep in class, all day and tell people that by having the classroom windows open and ventilated, that will stop them those pesky kids transmissiting it to others,and by wearing masks in s4-s6 as they are the only ones that can pass it on, 

Everyone else from s1-s3 ah they don't need to wear one they can't catch it or pass it on, honestly talk about just slavering pish after pish, these monkeys don't give a toss if any of us die if it made them look good, look at us we kept education going during a pandemic, whoope do what do you want a gold medal. 

Try turning up to the 5-6 cobra meetings you both missed, sturgeon and Johnson and show people you fecking care, rather than having your head clean up yer arses. 

Advice was giving to them long before this was remotely with us this virus, and what did we do we kept the country open for fecking greed, and are now paying the ultimate price. 

Both Sturgeon and Johnson are responsible for this, so many deaths could've been prevented, but your heads were to far up your arses to realise, care homes situation is nothing but a laughing stock. 

Sturgeon members on here team flouting the rules, Johnson going into hospitals thinking he's Billy big baws, shaking everyone's hand, eh sorry mate but I never wish death upon anyone but, have you told a nation to safe lives etc your motto, and you are actively seen in hospital shaking people's hands, you brought it on yourself you bawbag. 

I know people that are giving up there lifes until this virus has calmed down, and then you have complete incompetent arseholes running the country like that, honestly I'm going to say to all you I'm so proud of everyone on here, we have done our bit and we still have a long way to go until this is all over, but everyone on here in my eyes has played there part in containing this virus have giving up so much time of there lives, you have done hummanity proud. 

As for these incompetent ****s running us i hope that when this is all over and mananagble, they have the balls to step down. 

Because none of them are fit to lead us, none of them 😡

Edited by Bongo 1874

19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's an easy win for politicians, as it gets a lot of people onside - "education, education, education". However, as you allude to, there are other reasons, most notably ensuring that a significant proportion of the working public are able to get to/do their work without worrying about childcare issues.

As far as education is concerned, my kids came on leaps and bounds during lockdown - no thanks to the shitey offering from the school, but from hardwork everyday working on arithmetic and reading. I do appreciate that this changes as they get towards to the end of primary and on into high school, however.

The FPSs seemed to really go the extra mile during the spring lockdown - my son's best pal's siblings go to one and got well looked after. The state schools (in Edinburgh, at least) embarrassed themselves with their provision.

Certainly mirrors my experience in the first lockdown. One zoom meeting once a week where the kids chose the subject of a half hour quiz.

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Certainly mirrors my experience in the first lockdown. One zoom meeting once a week where the kids chose the subject of a half hour quiz.

Imagine kids choosing a quiz.

16 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

some experts have pointed to a few lighter years of deaths of vulnerable people making the pool of vulnerable people larger this year and if covid is getting in first then covids deaths may be inflated - not to mention reporting inconsistencies (albeit not in Ireland apparently) - comparing one years covid deaths to other diseases not the robust comparison anyway

the comment about pneumonia being bacterial which I’m not disputing (I don’t know) might be good for keeping the debate more accurate but fundamentally is it same group of unfortunate people who are dying with very broadly similar types of issues

some experts believe covid is showing signs of acting seasonally ie not unlike the other other corona viruses and don’t believe it is some mega infectious disease vastly different to others - they also believe the testing is very unreliable and could be fundamentally inflating the amount of reported infectious cases - in fact they don’t believe the figures pretty much at all

the experts I’m referring to are that guy yeadon (formerly key guy in Pfizer) heneggen prof of evidence based stats at oxford and the lady prof with letters etc coming out her ears who predicts potentially 130 million dead globally due to hunger as a result of lockdowns

not sure if they’re right but they sound more convincing that Whitty valance boris and wee jimmy k to name just 4 of many

I get what you're saying about the "same group of unfortunate people".  About 10% of those who have died in Ireland were under 65, and 50% were over 79.  As well as that, 88% of those who died had an "underlying condition" or disability.  I wouldn't want to "write off" older or disabled people (and I'm sure you don't either), but for the sake of argument I'm prepared to go along with the idea that many of those who died from Covid-19 would have died from something else. 

The problem is that without herd immunity of some form, the virus will run through the population unless it is stopped, either by social distancing or by seasonal factors.  Some experts say that Covid-19 shows seasonal trends similar to other coronaviruses, but others disagree, and when you compare trends in the Northern and Southern hemispheres you get contradictory answers.  If the public health advisers can't be sure of relying on seasonality to help, they can't wait around for a year to see what the infection and death rates are before deciding what to recommend to the politicians.  So governments are left with social distancing until a vaccine is developed.

There is an argument that the "cure" of social distancing restrictions is worse than the disease.  Maybe it is, but the alternative to restrictions is - no matter how we describe it - to let the virus run free and see what happens.  The problem with that is that the statistics already show that at all ages, the presence of Covid-19 is increasing death rates by a lot more than seasonal flu.  The biggest increases in absolute numbers are in the older age group, but the biggest increases in death rates are in the 45-64 group.  Carrying the logic through, if we let the virus affect as many people as it will unchecked, then the excess deaths might make economic (and socio-economic) sense if herd immunity is reached.  I'd estimate that to get to that stage would require about 11 million people aged between 45 and 64 in the UK to contract the virus, as a result of which somewhere around 110,000 would be likely to die.  I don't think that's a price worth paying, but I can see why others might.  However, because such immunity would probably only last a few months to a year, it becomes a high price to pay.

The more likely scenario would be that the annual infection and death rates would be lower than I've said above, but the annual death toll would be a good bit higher than the flu.  That might be something we could manage as a society.  I'm also aware that I'm avoiding mention of the effects of Covid-19 waves on hospital services and of the disabling effects of Covid-19 that a lot of people have reported, including young people.  I do think we should be prepared to debate all the pros and cons, but we should make sure to do it on the basis of well-thought out figures and not, with all due respect to others, somebody's conspiracy theories or dodgy numbers.

Maybe a vaccine will change all these calculations anyway.  Maybe we can live with a mix of some limits and restrictions and some level of infection in the community until everyone can get their shots?  Or maybe if we know that it won't be long until the shots are available we would be prepared to be more patient and cope with the restrictions? 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Imagine kids choosing a quiz.

They didn't choose to partake in a quiz. That was the sum total of their teachers contribution to a lockdown education.

Try keep up mate.

12 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

How long does these vaccines take to be approved? Are we talking weeks/months? Is it realistic to be rolled out before Christmas?

Only if you've been good all year.  :santa:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

I get what you're saying about the "same group of unfortunate people".  About 10% of those who have died in Ireland were under 65, and 50% were over 79.  As well as that, 88% of those who died had an "underlying condition" or disability.  I wouldn't want to "write off" older or disabled people (and I'm sure you don't either), but for the sake of argument I'm prepared to go along with the idea that many of those who died from Covid-19 would have died from something else. 

The problem is that without herd immunity of some form, the virus will run through the population unless it is stopped, either by social distancing or by seasonal factors.  Some experts say that Covid-19 shows seasonal trends similar to other coronaviruses, but others disagree, and when you compare trends in the Northern and Southern hemispheres you get contradictory answers.  If the public health advisers can't be sure of relying on seasonality to help, they can't wait around for a year to see what the infection and death rates are before deciding what to recommend to the politicians.  So governments are left with social distancing until a vaccine is developed.

There is an argument that the "cure" of social distancing restrictions is worse than the disease.  Maybe it is, but the alternative to restrictions is - no matter how we describe it - to let the virus run free and see what happens.  The problem with that is that the statistics already show that at all ages, the presence of Covid-19 is increasing death rates by a lot more than seasonal flu.  The biggest increases in absolute numbers are in the older age group, but the biggest increases in death rates are in the 45-64 group.  Carrying the logic through, if we let the virus affect as many people as it will unchecked, then the excess deaths might make economic (and socio-economic) sense if herd immunity is reached.  I'd estimate that to get to that stage would require about 11 million people aged between 45 and 64 in the UK to contract the virus, as a result of which somewhere around 110,000 would be likely to die.  I don't think that's a price worth paying, but I can see why others might.  However, because such immunity would probably only last a few months to a year, it becomes a high price to pay.

The more likely scenario would be that the annual infection and death rates would be lower than I've said above, but the annual death toll would be a good bit higher than the flu.  That might be something we could manage as a society.  I'm also aware that I'm avoiding mention of the effects of Covid-19 waves on hospital services and of the disabling effects of Covid-19 that a lot of people have reported, including young people.  I do think we should be prepared to debate all the pros and cons, but we should make sure to do it on the basis of well-thought out figures and not, with all due respect to others, somebody's conspiracy theories or dodgy numbers.

Maybe a vaccine will change all these calculations anyway.  Maybe we can live with a mix of some limits and restrictions and some level of infection in the community until everyone can get their shots?  Or maybe if we know that it won't be long until the shots are available we would be prepared to be more patient and cope with the restrictions? 

agree we should be debating all the pros and cons

alot of the stuff you’ve written I can’t disagree with however it is at odds with some of the stuff that the profs on talk radio have been saying in particular to immunity where at least one of them believes there is already some level of immunity from other corona viruses. They also don’t seem to rate it as some mega virus in comparison to the other deadly viruses/bacterial or whatever already circulating - the experts can’t seem to agree so suggests it’s quite a complex subject with a few layers to it

i see numbers on here a lot - often links copied and pasted - pretty much with “so there’s the proof end of” - yours clearly are not of that ilk but I would include them in the statement that I am very vary of numbers on here given in reality to extract the ‘correct’ relevant numbers would probably have a team of about 30 folk working on them full-time yet Jim on kickback copies and pastes a link with the answer to the most complex of subjects no caveats required also (which yours obviously has) - for example are comparisons with flu valid given there’s already a vaccine for flu presumably saving 10s of thousands of lives every year? does the comparison need some sort of adjustment?

figures quoted in the media and reporting in general of the pandemic very clearly has a bias so I’m a bit wary of them too - bbc guy pulls out a graph showing all these excess deaths then the highly qualified prof on talk sport says there’s no covid excess deaths - then there’s the potential 130 million dead due to lockdown-induced hunger - not heard much of that on the bbc

Im staying high-level and resisting the temptation to fire-up excel

theres an interview with that henequen guy - prof of evidence-based stats at oxford - he appears to be anti-lockdown but recognises short-term lockdowns have their uses - he reckons that things will really go bad in jan and feb if the virus behaves like he expects it to and suggests if we were really following “the science” we should be locking down exactly over the Xmas period :(

hopefully treatments and immunity improves so if covid is the main threat it can be brought into line with the others and become more ‘tolerable’ ideally wiped-out completely or close as can be

7 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I enjoyed my weekend away to Aviemore . It was relatively quiet but hotel was surprisingly busy . Nice to have a few decent meals and draught beers plus a few Bloody Mary cocktails on one night . Pubs were great with the log fires . Only down side was no music as we had to endure a lard arse 67 years old guy chatting . He was with his wife and another couple chatting to another couple . He said to the other couple “ I’ve been married 40 years to her , can you guess which one I’m married to ?” Pointing to the two women he was was with ! Charming ! He then went on and on about a load of 💩 not surprisingly they had also been to Blackpool in October and had a “ f**** brilliant time “ probably brought back the virus 🦠 what a fud 

Break any travel rules? 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

England introducing more restriction tiers. 🤔

BBC Breakfast said they were either doing that or tweaking the existing tiers to have bigger impact.

In any case this is only going to be effective post lockdown in England.

Edited by frankblack

8 hours ago, jonesy said:

It's an easy win for politicians, as it gets a lot of people onside - "education, education, education". However, as you allude to, there are other reasons, most notably ensuring that a significant proportion of the working public are able to get to/do their work without worrying about childcare issues.

As far as education is concerned, my kids came on leaps and bounds during lockdown - no thanks to the shitey offering from the school, but from hardwork everyday working on arithmetic and reading. I do appreciate that this changes as they get towards to the end of primary and on into high school, however.

The FPSs seemed to really go the extra mile during the spring lockdown - my son's best pal's siblings go to one and got well looked after. The state schools (in Edinburgh, at least) embarrassed themselves with their provision.

Yep, my sons probably now a couple year ahead of where he ‘should’ be now for maths from having to do stuff I made up every day after I realised how piss poor or non-existent the stuff provided by his school was. 
:vrface:

8 hours ago, JyTees said:

Yep, the vast majority of teachers threw out a generic exercise each day and got on with decorating their houses and keeping fit. 

9 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Where did you travel from? Edinburgh?

8 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Not specifically that, but yes the others are all independent nations with the ability to borrow money, Scotland is forced tied to the English pandemic policies as it doesn't have the ability to introduce financial measures like furlough to help decide when it can and can't lockdown. We also made the mistake of following UK wide

policies that were disastrous at the start of the crisis.

I know - I can't believe Scotland followed England in sending untested patients into care homes, and failed to disclose the Covid outbreak at the Nike conference.

8 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The SG aren't blameless and they have been in charge of the response here, but not in the same way as all the other similar sized nations.

Scotland have a lot to answer over their lack of transparency with the data behind their decision making, and choice to try and keep the entire central belt in the same tier.

They must also look hard at themselves over the failure to enforce the rules the make, such as do random checks on people quarantining, enforce mask wearing in enclosed spaces such as public transport.  Its all very well Nicola standing on her daily pulpit preaching about the rules but if there isn't any enforcement behind them its a complete waste of time.

Targeting hospitality has also been a major goal.  5 weeks since that was shut and there has been no noticeable difference in the data suggesting they were telling porkies.

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, JyTees said:

They didn't choose to partake in a quiz. That was the sum total of their teachers contribution to a lockdown education.

Try keep up mate.

They should’ve had a discussion on Einstein’s Theory of Relativity.

I find the posts above about a quiz being very bizarre.

Assuming people can use Skype even if audio only, couldn't the teachers do presentations of the subject material as they would in class and take questions in the chat window from pupils?

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

I love how draconian, megalomaniac, mini-Hitler, Sturgeon, is now being accused of not being harsh enough. 

There is no point dictating rules to the public unless you ensure they are being followed.  Hence we are where we are now heading for Tier 4.

It is a complete shitshow.

16 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Assuming people can use Skype even if audio only, couldn't the teachers do presentations of the subject material as they would in class and take questions in the chat window from pupils?

Need to ensure every kid has a laptop and home internet, which may be a challenge for some.

It is the social development not just the flow of course material they need. Can't really get that being isolated at home and using Skype.

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I don’t know how they get folk to stop going to each other’s houses. 

Hilfspolizei.

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-14381,_Berli

13 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

One of the biggest issues is to get people to self isolate when required to, that would be done if you automatically made them eligible for furlough payments or st least the equivalent. Likewise for the self employed. 

Its not just down to statutory sick pay - you also have people entering the country on holiday/returning home who must quarantine but my guess is none are.

13 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I don’t know how they get folk to stop going to each other’s houses. 

Maybe if they had kept hospitality open so that people meet up in safe controlled environments then the need for house parties calms down?

40 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That was my point about the fee paying schools providing a different level of teaching. My mate works at one and said they were as close to 'normal' teaching as possible (while taking into account being at home away from your mates isn't normal).  My nephew was given stuff to work through on his own, at one point he phoned me at work to ask for help as he'd asked the teacher the previous day and still hadn't had a reply.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic