Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I have started taking Vit D to see if it stops me catching the winter viruses which I usually pick up regularly. 

I find it a little odd though that sunny places like Spain still had a high incidence of covid going on but maybe that's because the locals are so used to covering up from the sun and staying in the shade therefor they might not be getting enough Vit D either.

Yeah that crossed my mind too.

Need to see the CV19 stats for nudists.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All roads lead to Gorgie
12 minutes ago, kila said:

Yeah that crossed my mind too.

Need to see the CV19 stats for nudists.

I think obesity might be a factor in nudist community somehow :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Coronavirus cure: A doctor points towards glaring evidence vitamin D could be the answer

Surely we would see lower numbers in hotter climates? Might help but certainly won't be a cure by any means

Malinga the Swinga
7 hours ago, redjambo said:

Per-board per-100,000 case stats:

Scotland 20 [-9].

Lanarkshire 37 [-19], Greater Glasgow 35 [-16], Ayrshire 27 [-5].

Fife 16 [-4], Forth Valley 14 [-8], Lothian 13 [-8], Tayside 13 [-7].

All the rest: less than 10.

7 hours ago, redjambo said:

Per-board per-100,000 case stats:

Scotland 20 [-9].

Lanarkshire 37 [-19], Greater Glasgow 35 [-16], Ayrshire 27 [-5].

Fife 16 [-4], Forth Valley 14 [-8], Lothian 13 [-8], Tayside 13 [-7].

All the rest: less than 10.

Pretty conclusive numbers there showing Lothian needs to be in same tier as Lanarkshire and Glasgow! Staying roughly the same ratio of approx 30% of West's figures. Definitely no need to differentiate. 

11 hours ago, kila said:

Does my head in during a pandemic that they can't open the relevant offices and get those folk to work a Sunday so the deaths are registered. Especially if these figures are being blasted across by the media, each week giving a false impression on Sundays/Mondays.

Yeah!!!!! Get people working on a Sunday so we can count the deid people. 

:cheer1:

So, how long exactly is Nicola's two-week circuit breaker?

Also, are they going to come clean and admit they have been lying through their teeth about hospitality and give us a breakdown of infections by cause?

It is only by being open and honest that you can get the public on board and perhaps put Lanarkshire and Glasgow into Tier 4?

I'm also not sure I see where the poster above is getting their reasoning from trying to justify Lothian being in the same bracket as Lanarkshire and Glasgow.  The numbers a few posts above seem to put the Lothians in the same bracket as Fife, which is tier 2 surely?

Edited by frankblack

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

So, how long exactly is Nicola's two-week circuit breaker?

Also, are they going to come clean and admit they have been lying through their teeth about hospitality and give us a breakdown of infections by cause?

It is only by being open and honest that you can get the public on board and perhaps put Lanarkshire and Glasgow into Tier 4?

I'm also not sure I see where the poster above is getting their reasoning from trying to justify Lothian being in the same bracket as Lanarkshire and Glasgow.  The numbers a few posts above seem to put the Lothians in the same bracket as Fife, which is tier 2 surely?

I think he might be being sarcastic?

1 minute ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

I think he might be being sarcastic?

Cheers - its too early in the morning, so maybe not fully woken up yet! 😴

It does seem to show a distinct difference between east and west coast so I really don't understand why Nicola and Jason won't lock them down like they did for Aberdeen for less.

Edited by frankblack

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Cheers - its too early in the morning, so maybe not fully woken up yet! 😴

It does seem to show a distinct difference between east and west coast so I really don't understand why Nicola and Jason won't lock them down like they did for Aberdeen for less.

I'm on the same page as you, OR, what the fecks the point of the five tiers as it is exactly what we were told they were designed for...

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

****ing hell are people still going on about the sun being the cure aye 

:lol:

For 99.5 % of people, the immune system is the cure. Vitamin D boosts the immune system of the remainder ,most with underlying conditions , and gives them a better of chance of fighting it.

1 minute ago, OBE said:

Many other food sources of vitamin D, maybe the general diet of many from the West is taking it's toll.

Indeed. Whether it's uniquely effective on Covid-19 or just the effects of generally boosting your immune system I'd have thought everyone would have been getting their fill in Vit D during a pandemic

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Indeed. Whether it's uniquely effective on Covid-19 or just the effects of generally boosting your immune system I'd have thought everyone would have been getting their fill in Vit D during a pandemic

A simple balanced diet could be key.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

All these folk in Brazil, Mexico, India and Iran etc not getting enough sun. 

40 minutes ago, OBE said:

A simple balanced diet could be key.

As I’ve said previously, not treating your body like a trash can is a pretty effective way of protecting yourself.

3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

If by people you mean doctors and scientists, then yes, yes they were still going on about it being a cure. (Vit D as opposed to the sun)

https://medium.com/microbial-instincts/the-first-clinical-trial-to-support-vitamin-d-therapy-for-covid-19-906a9d907468

Edited by fancy a brew
Clarification

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Melanin, which causes skin pigmentation, lowers the skins ability to make vitamin D in response to sunlight exposure.

Some studies show that older adults with darker skin are at high risk of vitamin D deficiency.

The Imperial collage study on vitamin D is still to be peer reviewed, but to shoot it down because it doesn't fit in with your negative outlook is just silly

19 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Melanin, which causes skin pigmentation, lowers the skins ability to make vitamin D in response to sunlight exposure.

Some studies show that older adults with darker skin are at high risk of vitamin D deficiency.

The Imperial collage study on vitamin D is still to be peer reviewed, but to shoot it down because it doesn't fit in with your negative outlook is just silly

I wasn't aware I had shot down any studies on vitamin D deficiency.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Spanish not getting enough oily fish.

There should be vitamin D ingestion enforcement camps.  Lock up and force feed the vitamin D deficient.  Everyone else can go for pints.

Amirite?

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

We finally agree on something, Vic. :) 

I think I prefer lock everyone up, nobody go for pints or see family and friends then have a vaccine enforcement camp at some undetermined point in the future.

Actually, no you're right, I prefer the idea of pints and vitamin D 

Nucky Thompson
18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I wasn't aware I had shot down any studies on vitamin D deficiency.

It's a study on vitamin D being effective as a prevention or treatment for covid.

You obviously think it's a load of shite going by your list of hot countries 

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

As I’ve said previously, not treating your body like a trash can is a pretty effective way of protecting yourself.

I know, but the mind can be a bit of a dick at times and the body's just got to bend over and take it. :D

Edited by OBE

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's a study on vitamin D being effective as a prevention or treatment for covid.

You obviously think it's a load of shite going by your list of hot countries 

I think sunshine being a cure is a load of shite. That's what I quoted and replied to.

Howdy Doody Jambo
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Indeed. Sturgeon has made a rod for her own back by creating a fine-tuned system that then fails to operate in the real world. Ironically, if she'd taken the English system (which I'm not a fan of either), she'd likely have more justification for keeping the central belt in on 'tier'.

Never mind, it's all about the suppression and the compliance

Sturgeon just created more confusion 5 tiers was just to put 2 up to Boris in her political football game 

It should have been kept simple, Green, Amber and Red 🚥 would have done 

It's some these power greedy politician's that want locked-down so we don't have to listen to them, do this do that, don't go here 

This pish has gone on far too long and I just don't understand why the Government's have thrown all this money at this and will continue to do so and have not respected Cancer and many other higher death rated illnesses over the years as they have done for Covid-19 in the space of 9 months 

We could just protect the vulnerable , those who choose and get back to living , back to taking our chances with all the safety measures and protocols now in place peoples hands have never been cleaner, face's never more shielded, bad breath masked yet this continues to be milked by the government's and the media , something stinks of how this has been handled

Pfizer BioNTech vaccine wins the race to release phase 3 trial results.  90% effectiveness and no health issues seen.  Hopefully not kyboshed by Mr Mink.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/09/covid-19-vaccine-candidate-effective-pfizer-biontech

Covid-19 vaccine candidate is 90% effective, says manufacturer

"A vaccine against Covid-19 is in sight, with the announcement of the first interim results in large-scale trials showing the Pfizer/BioNTech candidate is 90% effective, according to the manufacturers, whose analysis shows a much better performance than most experts had hoped for."

Nucky Thompson

There seems to be some breaking news on a vaccine.

Bojo announces a 5pm news conference. I wonder if it's linked 

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/09/covid-19-vaccine-candidate-effective-pfizer-biontech

Covid-19 vaccine candidate is 90% effective, says manufacturer

"A vaccine against Covid-19 is in sight, with the announcement of the first interim results in large-scale trials showing the Pfizer/BioNTech candidate is 90% effective, according to the manufacturers, whose analysis shows a much better performance than most experts had hoped for."

Sounds promising. 🤞

1 minute ago, escobri said:

90% effective,  still well below survival rate, ill take my chances ta.

Ehm, those rates would stack

2 minutes ago, escobri said:

No,  what you'll do is gain the benefit of very low levels of virus being around after the majority take a vaccine.  Others end up protecting you,  not you taking your chances.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No,  what you'll do is gain the benefit of very low levels of virus being around after the majority take a vaccine.  Others end up protecting you,  not you taking your chances.

Low levels of a particular strain(s) of a coronavirus, even the vaccinated will still be at risk of catching a virus.

Just now, escobri said:

Low levels of a particular strain(s) of a coronavirus, even the vaccinated will still be at risk of catching a virus.

Duh!  Fact remains.  Majority take the vaccine = minority benefit from less virus circulating.  

Francis Albert

Seems like many lock downs ago since the same discussion about Vitamin D on here. The fact is that  it is not provided by a wide range of foods that people actually eat and the sun is a major source if not the major source for most people. Taking a Vitamin D tablet daily seems to me a bit of a (sorry) no brainer.

One of the many bizarre responses to Covid was the ban on sunbathing in parks and public spaces while massed groups pf joggers pounded around spewing droplets everywhere. 

Just now, weehammy said:

There are suggestions that many people will not take it. Some for fear of side-effects and loads of younger people who won’t be arsed as the vaccine risks are on a par with Covid risks for their age group.

If true, the virus may not be suppressed as much as we’d like.

Indeed.  But even a modest majority taking it will massively tip the scales in our favour.  It effectively changes the R0 value from 3 to probably below 1.  Any spread should be easily damped down.  

13 minutes ago, escobri said:

I'll take 90% effectiveness over 10% non-effectiveness any day of the week.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Interesting. Maybe contributes to the higher incidence among black and Asian communities?

The unfortunate 10% are still protected by the 90% not getting the virus.  Other vaccines may well fill in some of the gaps.  There are dozens of promising vaccines using different methods.  

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Duh!  Fact remains.  Majority take the vaccine = minority benefit from less virus circulating.  

Do you feel the majority will take it though? I'm not so sure, could get very interesting if they try to make it mandatory.

The guy from STV just asked the correct question around Edinburgh etc and Glasgow, she is just talking nonsense around her 5 step plan.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic