Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

So you would agree it's perplexing there has been no immediate reaction to Glasgow's level given their increasing numbers since being placed into level 3?

Not really.  The increasing numbers are not enough to warrant the step up might be their thinking.  They're quite possibly still within the numbers befitting tier 3.  There are factors such as hospital provision,  etc.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

So,  in summary,  NS needs to avoid upsetting her support in the west... but doesn't need to avoid upsetting her support in the east... 'cos SNP support is unquestioning likes.  Plus she will claim credit for vaccinations starting... but not really 'cos it's more sort of steering the country through likes.

Anti SNP arguments as coherent as ever.

So in summary,

Nicola Sturgeon is the saving grace who does no wrong, is the only politician in the world who isn’t playing politics in this pandemic and her fanatics are so far up her arse they can’t see any different. 

Hardcore SNP lunatics coherent as ever. 

Weirds me out that people keep talking about arses, farters, golden showers and scat play when discussing politicians. 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

So in summary,

Nicola Sturgeon is the saving grace who does no wrong, is the only politician in the world who isn’t playing politics in this pandemic and her fanatics are so far up her arse they can’t see any different. 

Hardcore SNP lunatics coherent as ever. 

The big difference being that nothing of this has been said.  Nice try.  Actually no.  Rotten try.  

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Britnat head injuries on show. 

Am as far away a Britnat/unionist you will find. I hate the union in fact.  However I am not so blinded by loyalty to one party to not see the blinding failures in the SNP and Nicola Sturgeon.

Edited by AlimOzturk

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

So you would agree it's perplexing there has been no immediate reaction to Glasgow's level given their increasing numbers since being placed into level 3?

There hasn't been an increase in numbers in Glasgow. No significant change in numbers so why would anybody expect a change in category?

15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Here's the original comment.  I take it this is being disowned now then?

No, you chose to deliberately misinterpret it when it was clear to everyone else.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

So it's fine for folk to spread the Covid love, all because there are a few hospital beds kicking around spare?

No it isn't.  Ah but.. you had me going there.. that's a bit of lighthearted levity.  Hospital provision is a factor though.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

No, you chose to deliberately misinterpret it when it was clear to everyone else.

Disowned then.  By trying to twist your own original statement to mean something else.  Braw.

Nicola Sturgeon could wear an SS outfit for her daily propaganda show and some on here would defend that.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Disowned then.  By trying to twist your own original statement to mean something else.  Braw.

No, its intent was perfectly clear.  Deflection from you noted.

Dennis Reynolds
4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Weirds me out that people keep talking about arses, farters, golden showers and scat play when discussing politicians. 

Discussing politicians on a thread about a global pandemic with people moaning about a global pandemic being politicised by politicians.

:berra:

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

No, its intent was perfectly clear.  Deflection from you noted.

I'm sure she will be first to claim the credit if vaccinations start before the Holyrood elections, though.

Riiight.

2 hours ago, Fun Boaby said:

The levels system is a joke (not tiers as we need to be different to Englandshire) if they are not even following their own criteria.

Which criteria are they not following?

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Latest 7-day case rates per 100,000 population (https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview)

Glasgow City 305.9

S. Lanarkshire 288.0

Renfrewshire 285.9

N. Lanarkshire 267.5

West Lothian 180.2

Midlothian 83.3

Edinburgh City 82.3

East Lothian 68.2

👍  Red, where specifically are you getting the 7-day/100K for regions?  I'd like to compare historical figures. Thanks.

Just now, Victorian said:

I'm sure she will be first to claim the credit if vaccinations start before the Holyrood elections, though.

Riiight.

giphy.gif

You and I know she will campaign for Holyrood as the messiah as having saved Scotland from the virus.

Just now, frankblack said:

giphy.gif

You and I know she will campaign for Holyrood as the messiah as having saved Scotland from the virus.

In your weird wee world.

No more mention of claimed vaccination starting.  Progress.

2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

She is a power mad imbecile.

5 tier plan but sticking to just the two. Glasgow and the West must not be restricted more than Edinburgh at any costs

She shows absolute disdain to the reporters asking questions, as if it's beneath her.

Do we not have councils in three different tiers? Isn't the bottom tier normality which we are all striving for and isn't the top tier near full lockdown that we are trying to avoid.

Are you not showing disdain for fact and reason?

19 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What would you recommend changing in Glasgow? Everything is just about closed and anyone who can work from home is working from home. The place is deserted.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

55 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nice response. Which part of decision to send infected patients to Care Homes do you find funniest? The bit where the care home residents died or bit where the care workers caught virus. At least we know what sort of person you are. 

That's not what I was laughing at, is it? I was laughing at you thinking BoJo cares more than Sturgeon. 

Edited by Ray Gin

17 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

There hasn't been an increase in numbers in Glasgow. No significant change in numbers so why would anybody expect a change in category?

What's Glasgow's positive test number per 100,000 today? 

What was it when they were placed into level 3?

Why is it a shift to Tier 4 is looking imminent?

7 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

What would you recommend changing in Glasgow? Everything is just about closed and anyone who can work from home is working from home. The place is deserted.

Personally, I'd open everything.

6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

They have 10m right away of this one. I think we will be much closer to normal by January and spring will be amazing!!

The lower the levels are when we start giving vaccinations the quicker we will be back to normal, so I think now the light can be seen it makes the pain now seem more worth it. When there was no end in sight it was just pain. 

Spring will be amazing ?  Do you fancy us to lift the Scottish Cup at a packed Hampden?  Maybe 2 in a row🤞

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What's Glasgow's positive test number per 100,000 today? 

What was it when they were placed into level 3?

Why is it a shift to Tier 4 is looking imminent?

You're the one suggesting action, so I was wondering what you think needs done? I can't think of anything and I live here.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Bet you eat all the advent calendar chocs in one go, too. :) 

Even putting those poor little chocolate Santa's behind the doors in the first place is unthinkable to me!

I aim to please, glad you were tickled.

On a more serious point, however, factoring in capacity sounds like they are willing for the virus to keep going round in places with big hospitals. Maybe it'll truly finish off the old Labour supporters in the west... 

Can you at least understand that some people might be sceptical when the goalposts appear to keep moving when it comes to restrictions and reasons?

The goalposts aren't being shifted though.  It's undoubtedly more to do with people not understanding the intentions and criteria of the tier system and/or viewing the complexities from a pre-determined agenda.   

I think the reality is that the complexity of the criteria of alterations is of a nature that they deem not practical to fully publicise.  That it would cause more confusion than it would provide transparency.

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

They have 10m right away of this one. I think we will be much closer to normal by January and spring will be amazing!!

The lower the levels are when we start giving vaccinations the quicker we will be back to normal, so I think now the light can be seen it makes the pain now seem more worth it. When there was no end in sight it was just pain. 

I'd ca' canny with any news on a potential vaccine.  

The current situation will take a long time to wind back as the infrastructure required to administer any potential vaccine will take a long time to build up. Look at the current cluster**** trying to distribute/administer the flu vaccine.

jack D and coke
56 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

From your previous posts I really don’t think you would have enjoyed living in NZs lockdown. 

The measures over there had they been imposed here by the Scottish government would have been almost been hilarious to witness. 
I’ve been annoyed by NS myself but if you actually open your eyes there are much harsher measures all over the uk and in Ireland and Wales for example but still they’re eaten alive with seethe over every single thing they do. 

1 minute ago, OmiyaHearts said:

You're the one suggesting action, so I was wondering what you think needs done? I can't think of anything and I live here.

I'm not suggesting action. I'm suggesting that if you believe in the levels system and that upwards data changes require immediate action then surely you'd think Glasgow should go up a tier.

If nothing more can be done then it suggests Tier 4 doesn't actually exist 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm not suggesting action. I'm suggesting that if you believe in the levels system and that upwards data changes require immediate action then surely you'd think Glasgow should go up a tier.

If nothing more can be done then it suggests Tier 4 doesn't actually exist 🤷🏻‍♂️

The schools need to close. It won't be done but it's needing done. In my opinion, that would make a drastic reduction in numbers.

The two mates of mine who have tested positive in the last few days caught it form their weans (who also tested positive and with symptoms). I find it baffling that the solution to reduce numbers is so obvious but the government wont implement it.

Ahh, more bickering.   Thank **** for that. 

Here was me hoping that news of a potentially useful vaccine would be cause for a bit of positivity, but no, it's only just been announced and already it's turned political. 

****ing hell. 

Just to clarify - are they designed to 'protect the NHS' (hike taxes up to Scandi levels for that), 'save lives' (long term stats will prove more die/suffer from restrictions than from CV19) or 'drive down the R number' (now proven to be less of a factor than the K number)? It's hard to keep up, especially as I can't nip in for a pint in my local to catch the news on my way home.

The part I've highlighted in bold is an odd statement. What would they have to lose by publicising the decision making criteria? Transparency and trust are cornerstones of good governance. We've lost the former and are eroding the latter, sadly. Been going on for decades, mind. 

But seriously, what do they have to hide?

I think the basic objective always remains to ensure hospitals don't run out of space.  For covid purposes but also to maintain the other non-covid treatment they need to carry on with.  Every argument for concentrating on non-covid is always dependent on reducing scale/volume/flow of covid.

Yeah, well, you would say that FFS. :angry:

Oh, right... I see what you mean. :( 

:lol:

I don't really have a come back to that, so fair play :)

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'd ca' canny with any news on a potential vaccine.  

The current situation will take a long time to wind back as the infrastructure required to administer any potential vaccine will take a long time to build up. Look at the current cluster**** trying to distribute/administer the flu vaccine.

Will be helped by the army 😉👍

CavySlaveJambo
3 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

Hopefully vaccines are on the way!! Then we can actually get out of this properly, back to the pub, no masks and back to the football.

They are starting to get the results of phase III trials. 
Pfizer the first today with a provisional 90% success rate. 

6 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

The schools need to close. It won't be done but it's needing done. In my opinion, that would make a drastic reduction in numbers.

The two mates of mine who have tested positive in the last few days caught it form their weans (who also tested positive and with symptoms). I find it baffling that the solution to reduce numbers is so obvious but the government wont implement it.

Agree with you on this. 

I just want to get back to being able to meet my pals, play football and other sports, go to training, go to the pub, go to a game at Tynecastle, and generally get back to normal as much as possible and as soon as possible. 

Today's news leaves me hopeful that I might actually be able to do some of that by mid-2021.

CavySlaveJambo
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think the basic objective always remains to ensure hospitals don't run out of space.  For covid purposes but also to maintain the other non-covid treatment they need to carry on with.  Every argument for concentrating on non-covid is always dependent on reducing scale/volume/flow of covid.

Am I right in thinking both East and Midlothian are relying on hospitals in Edinburgh. And the Mid numbers are still high. 

If they get the numbers going the right way,  as it looks like might occur soon,  I think they should boost the recovery by closing the schools for a while.  It would surely be better to use this option to inject suppression into the epidemic when it will make a material difference,  rather than having to do it when there's more spread going on in other settings.   I think the schools will be closed at some point and it's a matter of judging the timing of it.  Schools closed sometime in December imo.

4 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Am I right in thinking both East and Midlothian are relying on hospitals in Edinburgh. And the Mid numbers are still high. 

Probably.  I think there's always contingency planning to shift people between boards.

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just to clarify - are they designed to 'protect the NHS' (hike taxes up to Scandi levels for that), 'save lives' (long term stats will prove more die/suffer from restrictions than from CV19) or 'drive down the R number' (now proven to be less of a factor than the K number)? It's hard to keep up, especially as I can't nip in for a pint in my local to catch the news on my way home.

The part I've highlighted in bold is an odd statement. What would they have to lose by publicising the decision making criteria? Transparency and trust are cornerstones of good governance. We've lost the former and are eroding the latter, sadly. Been going on for decades, mind. 

But seriously, what do they have to hide?

Yes, I agree. Rather than expecting the public to just accept whatever rules and decisions the Murrells make, we need full transparency.  If the regions are "too interconnected" then wtf was the point in having a tiered system in the first place??  We're past the stage of "save the NHS" , "stay at home" and all the other bland pronouncements that are made. Hiding behind furlough until March is not an option either as business needs customers, turnover and profits to cover all their overheads and make a living for the owners. Future investment, growth and employment also depends on that. Furlough covers 80% of staff costs and is in no way, shape or form a substitute for a trading business.

We need to start hearing where people are being infected, how they are being infected and who are they passing it on to. Daily recitals of numbers serves no purpose at all as it is available on line. A more nuanced,  weekly update in Parliament would be far more useful and would maybe help to rebuild the trust in our policy makers that is very quickly being eroded.

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

An outstanding example of Newspeak, predicted all those years ago by Orwell. In a totalitarian world plebs can’t have things that they’ll never understand anyway explained to them.

Aye sure.  Maybe it's more of a well intentioned judgement that the nature and complexity of information is counter productive in this specific instance.   

What will people do with all this imagined new information they crave?  The basic responsibilities of what's being asked of people will remain the same.  

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

If they get the numbers going the right way,  as it looks like might occur soon,  I think they should boost the recovery by closing the schools for a while.  It would surely be better to use this option to inject suppression into the epidemic when it will make a material difference,  rather than having to do it when there's more spread going on in other settings.   I think the schools will be closed at some point and it's a matter of judging the timing of it.  Schools closed sometime in December imo.

I can confidently predict that schools will close down for 2 weeks at the end of December and again in early April.

Just now, Ray Gin said:

I can confidently predict that schools will close down for 2 weeks at the end of December and again in early April.

:D

There really is light at the end of the tunnel.

Back at the football soon... what a noise it'll be once we're a full house again. Spring might be pushing it for large crowds mind but who knows. If we do well in this season's Scottish Cup then a packed Hampden might be a possibility. I'll stick with that thought for now.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Fancy a bet on Schools closing in December? Maybe the 22/23rd to the 5th of January I reckon 😜

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Beat me to it as I checked the dates? 
They’re saying it won’t be the Friday a week before Xmas as they don’t want folk catching it and beginning to get symptoms on the 25th. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic