Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

husref musemic
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm hankering after the SG to tackle source(s) of the continued spread of the virus because what they've restricted so far is clearly not where the problem lies. 

They've spun hospitality as a source for whatever reason - despite its actual contribution.

i was in the shops today, folk not distancing, no masks - a minority not paying any heed. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, LMc said:

West Lothian ruining it for the lothians!

Have you seen our neighbours.

Not easy being next to Lanarkshire

12 minutes ago, graygo said:

The only example so far.......

Well apparently it has infected humans, how ill they have become wasn't said, probably because it didn't suit the narrative.

Someone hasn't paid any attention to this story.  The concern isn't about how infectious or dangerous the mutated strain is.  The concern is that it poses a threat to the efficacy of most of the candidate vaccines.  

Looks like there's been a frantic scramble to contain infected people but it's completely futile.  They'll just need to cross their fingers that the vaccine concerns end with being precautionary.

The West should have been huckled properly from the start.  It was good enough for Aberdeen.  This Tuesday the thresholds need revised and all those around the 200+ mark need tier 4 locked down.  If not then they lose all credibility amongst all but the zealots.  Everybody knows where the issues are, generally speaking.  If this isn't a blip then we all know where we're heading. :muggy:

12 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

The West should have been huckled properly from the start.  It was good enough for Aberdeen.  This Tuesday the thresholds need revised and all those around the 200+ mark need tier 4 locked down.  If not then they lose all credibility amongst all but the zealots.  Everybody knows where the issues are, generally speaking.  If this isn't a blip then we all know where we're heading. :muggy:

We are probably heading there anyway. Shutting the pubs doesn’t work because the virus will spread elsewhere. Tier system won’t work because we are a small country and people move around on public transport and often for valid reasons. Lockdown does work.

These damaging half measures and ridiculous tier systems are just a run up to a proper lockdown and are all pointless imo. Just punishes certain business sectors and regions fir no valid reason. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Krankie and scotch or whatever chat isn’t good imo mate it makes me think whatever point you’re trying to make instantly is purely agenda driven. This thread and social media is absolutely riddled with it. 
Id just like us all to find a way out of this tbh. 
If that wasn’t your intention apologies👍🏼

bit of humour misplaced mate - no bother

im not political in any way - I’ve said from the beginning (when others were going “they should just do xyz”) that those in charge faced very difficult/impossible decisions

im roughly of the view that to get to the forefront of a party you’ve probably had to concede most of your previous held principles and by definition are then a product of the system - there are one or two exceptions to that of course - I don’t believe either of these are

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

"It is ‘futile and immoral’ to seek herd immunity as a protection from a pandemic, and the transmission of an infectious disease like Covid-19 cannot be fully halted without a vaccine"
Sweden
's chief epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell

given up ?

did he make a previous statement saying that herd immunity was the intention?

“sorry folks I’ve led you all down the wrong path sorry about the deaths etc we’re following the standard model now ...”

something like that?

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Someone hasn't paid any attention to this story.  The concern isn't about how infectious or dangerous the mutated strain is.  The concern is that it poses a threat to the efficacy of most of the candidate vaccines.  

Looks like there's been a frantic scramble to contain infected people but it's completely futile.  They'll just need to cross their fingers that the vaccine concerns end with being precautionary.

Viruses mutate, it's not some sort of revelation. Did you think it was?

Viruses mutating has and will always be a concern as to how they will threaten the efficacy of vaccines.

Maybe you should pay more attention to things other than this story.

Was my post as condescending as yours? I hope so.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Have you seen our neighbours.

Not easy being next to Lanarkshire

North and South too, I work in Newhouse and have to trundle in 5 days a week, I'm a key worker before JiH turns up to berate me.

Can we get a daily rolling counter of all the deaths caused by lockdown so we can get some sense of balance? Maybe a running total of the national debt that the younger generation will be lumbered with. How about a count of flu deaths? Wont be many as flu has mysteriously disappeared..

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Can we get a daily rolling counter of all the deaths caused by lockdown so we can get some sense of balance? Maybe a running total of the national debt that the younger generation will be lumbered with. How about a count of flu deaths? Wont be many as flu has mysteriously disappeared..

Compostcorner.net has a lot to answer for.

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, LMc said:

West Lothian ruining it for the lothians!

There’s quite a variance between areas of West Lothian as you’d expect 

I’m sure WL figs include St John’s too 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

No worries. I've ordered enough wine in for Christmas to keep the French economy afloat for decades.

And in a similar case of foresight, gave both my kids a good kicking on Thursday night.

LOL

2 hours ago, weehammy said:

Now that smacking is banned including in private homes perhaps Sturgeon could ban alcohol consumption in the home also.

FFS don't give her ideas!

10 hours ago, graygo said:

Viruses mutate, it's not some sort of revelation. Did you think it was?

Viruses mutating has and will always be a concern as to how they will threaten the efficacy of vaccines.

Maybe you should pay more attention to things other than this story.

Was my post as condescending as yours? I hope so.

Fact remains that you missed the point of the story.  Science is concerned about one particular mutated strain in that it might compromised most of the vaccines.  It's got nothing to do with any "narrative" as you mumbled about.

19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Fact remains that you missed the point of the story.  Science is concerned about one particular mutated strain in that it might compromised most of the vaccines.  It's got nothing to do with any "narrative" as you mumbled about.

Great Danes act as mink link causes a big stink.

This ‘mink’ outbreak just shows that lockdowns, vaccines etc etc are all ****ing pointless.  

If we keep treating animals (and the planet) like shit then the viruses will keep coming.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I never missed what you claim was the point of the story at all. There was more than one point to the story and I commented on one of them. 

I've resisted the temptation to insult you back.

13 hours ago, Victorian said:

Vaccine efficacy has to be a concern, however for me of equal or even greater concern is that Covid-19 has apparently jumped from humans to mink, mutated and then jumped back from mink to humans. 

Goodness knows which other animals Covid-19 could potentially also make the same/similar jump between and potentially mutate everytime, that would be a nightmare scenario.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I never missed what you claim was the point of the story at all. There was more than one point to the story and I commented on one of them. 

I've resisted the temptation to insult you back.

Not really.  There was only ever one specific implication in the story.  There was never any concern regarding any health concerns arising out of a mutated strain.  The be all and end all of the story is the scientific concerns regarding the vaccines.  I think you appear to be pointing towards some other non-existent strand to the story in order to explain why you made a point about the severity of illness in the humans infected by the strain,  as well as an irrelevant comment about "the narrative".

To return to the point,  clearly there is worry about the vaccines.  Hope to god it's just precautionary and that the immunological concerns are unfounded.

@Shanks makes a very valid point.  Virus reservoir in the animal kingdom is going to be a persistent issue.  They seem to already know about mink being a known reservoir of coronaviruses so it's a bit of a surprise if science has done nothing about it until now.  Extensive research will need to go into finding out what other troublesome reservoirs will exist going forward.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Vaccine efficacy has to be a concern, however for me of equal or even greater concern is that Covid-19 has apparently jumped from humans to mink, mutated and then jumped back from mink to humans. 

Goodness knows which other animals Covid-19 could potentially also make the same/similar jump between and potentially mutate everytime, that would be a nightmare scenario.

My latest post goes into that area.  It's an issue that will require constant vigilance.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not really.  There was only ever one specific implication in the story.  There was never any concern regarding any health concerns arising out of a mutated strain.  The be all and end all of the story is the scientific concerns regarding the vaccines.  I think you appear to be pointing towards some other non-existent strand to the story in order to explain why you made a point about the severity of illness in the humans infected by the strain,  as well as an irrelevant comment about "the narrative".

To return to the point,  clearly there is worry about the vaccines.  Hope to god it's just precautionary and that the immunological concerns are unfounded.

@Shanks makes a very valid point.  Virus reservoir in the animal kingdom is going to be a persistent issue.  They seem to already know about mink being a known reservoir of coronaviruses so it's a bit of a surprise if science has done nothing about it until now.  Extensive research will need to go into finding out what other troublesome reservoirs will exist going forward.

Read the article's headline.

It mentions the number of humans infected from minks nothing about anything else. 

7 minutes ago, graygo said:

Read the article's headline.

It mentions the number of humans infected from minks nothing about anything else. 

There are multiple articles on the story.  The only relevant,  important issue within it concerns the impact on vaccines.  

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There are multiple articles on the story.  The only relevant,  important issue within it concerns the impact on vaccines.  

You're entitled to take what you like from the story, you can even see it as a single issue story if you like. What you can't do is tell anyone else what they should take from the story.

If the virus didn't transfer from mink to humans then it wouldn't be able to have an effect on any vaccine. How you can say that the transference isn't an issue is beyond me. This is not a single issue story imo.

Edited by graygo

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

You're entitled to take what you like from the story, you can even see it as a single issue story if you like. What you can't do is tell anyone else what they should take from the story.

If the virus didn't transfer from mink to humans then it wouldn't be able to have an effect on any vaccine. How you can say that the transference isn't an issue is beyond me. This is not a single issue story imo.

It's obvious that it jumped from humans to mink and then back.  It goes without saying.  That is the cause of the issue.  The effect is the potential consequence for vaccine efficacy.  Nobody needs educated that viruses jump between humans and the animal kingdom.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's obvious that it jumped from humans to mink and then back.  It goes without saying.  That is the cause of the issue.  The effect is the potential consequence for vaccine efficacy.  Nobody needs educated that viruses jump between humans and the animal kingdom.

Wrong and a bit presumptuous of you.

There's more than one story here, you can't see it and that's fine. The cause and the effect if you like, you even say it yourself.

If this virus didn't jump from mink to humans (regardless of any mutation) then 17 million mink wouldn't need culled.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Wrong and a bit presumptuous of you.

There's more than one story here, you can't see it and that's fine. The cause and the effect if you like, you even say it yourself.

If this virus didn't jump from mink to humans (regardless of any mutation) then 17 million mink wouldn't need culled.

It did.  They already know it did.  It's no great surprise to see it mutate after a cross transfer between an animal species.  There's more than one known mutation but they're worried about one of them.  Hopefully the concerns end up being unfounded and they already know that a lot of research needs done about future events.

husref musemic
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

No more calling the linesman a baldy barsteward!

no more calling anybody anything.

If you say no to your kids when they ask for the £5 jumbo Mars bar @ tynie, they'll report you to the polis (Poileas) for hurty words. 

Scottish numbers: 8 November 2020

Summary

• 1,115 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-491]
  • 3 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends) [-36]
  • 111 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+5]
  • 1,245 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [=]
  • 17,229 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 7.3% of these were positive [+1%]

Per-board per-100,000 case stats:

Scotland 20 [-9].

Lanarkshire 37 [-19], Greater Glasgow 35 [-16], Ayrshire 27 [-5].

Fife 16 [-4], Forth Valley 14 [-8], Lothian 13 [-8], Tayside 13 [-7].

All the rest: less than 10.

20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Per-board per-100,000 case stats:

Scotland 20 [-9].

Lanarkshire 37 [-19], Greater Glasgow 35 [-16], Ayrshire 27 [-5].

Fife 16 [-4], Forth Valley 14 [-8], Lothian 13 [-8], Tayside 13 [-7].

All the rest: less than 10.

There must have been something random with yesterday's numbers 

SectionFJambo

Seem higher than normal for a Sunday so possibly a lag or delay from yesterday. Stats not really going in correct direction at national level however its very clearly driven by the West. 

Being such a compact country not sure how we deal with that however a lockdown covering that area is required. If that needs to be national because the weegies are too thick to listen and not jump on trains to Edinburgh etc. then so be it. This needs coupled with enforcement. 

2 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

Seem higher than normal for a Sunday so possibly a lag or delay from yesterday. Stats not really going in correct direction at national level however its very clearly driven by the West. 

Being such a compact country not sure how we deal with that however a lockdown covering that area is required. If that needs to be national because the weegies are too thick to listen and not jump on trains to Edinburgh etc. then so be it. This needs coupled with enforcement. 

The case stats are actually reasonably normal for a Sunday, lower than the last couple of Sundays (1,303 and 1,148) - the Sunday before that was the exception with the test result delay problem.

Agree with the rest. It looks as if we're "containing" this thing at the moment, but that's about all.

20 minutes ago, steve123 said:

There must have been something random with yesterday's numbers 

Perhaps a wee test backlog? Just goes to emphasise that one day's stats shouldn't be taken in isolation (a lesson I've had to learn myself).

Does my head in during a pandemic that they can't open the relevant offices and get those folk to work a Sunday so the deaths are registered. Especially if these figures are being blasted across by the media, each week giving a false impression on Sundays/Mondays.

Weakened Offender
9 minutes ago, kila said:

Does my head in during a pandemic that they can't open the relevant offices and get those folk to work a Sunday so the deaths are registered. Especially if these figures are being blasted across by the media, each week giving a false impression on Sundays/Mondays.

Agreed. 

34 minutes ago, kila said:

Is it always down to the registry office?  It wasn't during the pamdemic, but my Dad died in the Western on a weekend and I had to go back in on the Monday to pick up the death certificate.  

To me it would make more sense to retrospectively publish figures by date of death than by date registered.

The only stat that should be important is excess deaths seeing as the PCR test is as the dentist says a bit rubbish. 

This obsession with daily deaths with a positive test within the last 28 days is misleading and the only logical conclusion is that the government is using them for their own agenda. 

25 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Coronavirus cure: A doctor points towards glaring evidence vitamin D could be the answer

We know Vitamin D plays an essential role in a functioning immune system.

I take it care homes do not dish out Vitamin D supplements to their residents. Would be a good experiment to do this winter... I know a few folk who take them and never seem to get a bad cold in the winter.

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, kila said:

We know Vitamin D plays an essential role in a functioning immune system.

I take it care homes do not dish out Vitamin D supplements to their residents. Would be a good experiment to do this winter... I know a few folk who take them and never seem to get a bad cold in the winter.

I can't remember the last time a had a cold. I work outside and take a good tan.

I've just started taking Vitamin D supplements to top up the lack of sunshine in the Winter.

I just need something to help my s.a.d during the short, dark days

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I can't remember the last time a had a cold. I work outside and take a good tan.

I've just started taking Vitamin D supplements to top up the lack of sunshine in the Winter.

I just need something to help my s.a.d during the short, dark days

Been taking vitamin d in the winter for a few years now and it definitely helps with my mood. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I have started taking Vit D to see if it stops me catching the winter viruses which I usually pick up regularly. 

I find it a little odd though that sunny places like Spain still had a high incidence of covid going on but maybe that's because the locals are so used to covering up from the sun and staying in the shade therefor they might not be getting enough Vit D either.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic