• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For some reason, the SG's spreadsheet containing the per-board information doesn't contain the usual table with new infection data today, so I am unable to provide that info. Feckers. The Travelling Tabby site should have the per-council breakdown by 3pm.

Right, I've got the per-board per-100,000 data (I've had to enter the info manually):

Scotland 29 [+9]

Lanarkshire 56 [+24], Greater Glasgow 51 [+12], Ayrshire 32 [+12].

Forth Valley 22 [+13], Lothian 21 [+9], Fife 20 [+7], Tayside 20 [+5].

Borders 16 [+4], Dumfries & Galloway 14 [-1], Highland 6 [+1], Grampian 5 [+1], Orkney 4 [+4, 1 case].

Shetland and the Wee Free Isles: 0.

Edited by redjambo

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Margaret Ferrier is probably the worst politician, she seems to embody everything that is wrong with politicians. 

Bojo whether you like him or not, or agree with his politics, is objectively a very good politician. He’s got to be PM, won Brexit ref and won an election by a landslide. That doesn’t happen via being a bad politician.

Now you may question his politics and even his leadership competency, something which are fair for criticism. It’s hard to deny he’s a good politician.

I don't say you're wrong in your view, but I personally don't equate popularity with quality, when it comes to politics, or most other things.  My reading of your logic is like saying 'you can't deny that Ed Sheeran is a good musician because he's won loads of awards and sold loads of albums' - this shows he is popular, not that he is a good musician.

You'd hope that politicians would be aware of the bigger picture (the welfare of the country) and not be focused on short term success as the be all and end all.  Along the same lines I'd say Trump is a terrifying politician, despite clearly being an effective one - similar for BJ.

11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Right, I've got the per-board per-100,000 data (I've had to enter the info manually):

Scotland 29 [+9]

Lanarkshire 56 [+24], Greater Glasgow 51 [+12], Ayrshire 32 [+12].

Forth Valley 22 [+13], Lothian 21 [+9], Fife 20 [+7], Tayside 20 [+5].

Borders 16 [+4], Dumfries & Galloway 14 [-1], Highland 6 [+1], Grampian 5 [+1], Orkney 4 [+4, 1 case].

Shetland and the Wee Free Isles: 0.

Hopefully a backlog of tests with these numbers.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 7 November 2020

Summary

• 1,596 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+524]
  • 39 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+8]
  • 106 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+8]
  • 1,245 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+8]
  • 29,644 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 6.3% of these were positive [+0.8%]

Still in the 1200-1500 per day range. Has been for weeks now. 

Surely has to be questions on the strategy now. 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, weehammy said:

You and Doug should go camping holidays together once COVID allows. Go somewhere quiet away from all of us ‘simpletons’ and ‘emptyheads’.

Doug probably thinks he's a **** too, tbf.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
56 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

how are total death numbers looking against previous years - does anyone know?

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

how are total death numbers looking against previous years - does anyone know?

No idea. 

Last I saw weeks ago the overall deaths were quite similar or in the range of a 'normal' year. 

43 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Surely the measure of someone’s success, is relative to others in that field. Good implies a right and wrong which is subjective. His and Ed Sheehan success and standing in the field which means they are very successful in chosen career. 

I know what you meant, I was just nitpicking your original post that Bojo is a 'good politician' because of his successes. Like you could argue Hitler was a good politician, but that would ignore factors that many people would judge a politician by - honesty, integrity, compassion, tolerance. 

I don't like BJ mainly because I suspect he has no real political views but simply had a burning desire to write himself into british political history, whatever the cost. Despite that your post was spot on in that he is a successful and effective politician.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The West is where it's at.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s a farce. But now the minks are gonna kill us all. **** sake man :lol: 

Other than eyelashes, what are minks used for these days?

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, JKBMod 12 said:

Other than eyelashes, what are minks used for these days?

I wasn’t aware they were used for that either :lol: my sister does a lot of that procedure. 

So it’s a choice of yir bursd with nice eye lashes and us aw deed or deed minks? 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Are you hankering for a full scale lockdown or something?

I wonder if this new increase has anything to do with Halloween/Cup Semi parties last weekend? Bound to have been loads of folk bumping the rules.

Edited by Ray Gin

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Has a regional breakdown been given?

For today, yes. I posted a per-board one earlier on, and you can get the per-council stats at the Travelling Tabby site.

Just now, redjambo said:

For today, yes. I posted a per-board one earlier on, and you can get the per-council stats at the Travelling Tabby site.

So you did, apologies, missed that. Up 9 for Lothian. Not looking good for that tier drop we were hoping for.

Just now, Ray Gin said:

So you did, apologies, missed that. Up 9 for Lothian. Not looking good for that tier drop we were hoping for.

It's a bit of a blip today. Hopefully decisions will be made on longer periods and trends.

12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's a bit of a blip today. Hopefully decisions will be made on longer periods and trends.

There was also a rise midweek. Not the progress I was hoping for and can't see any changes being made next week now, sadly. Sustained and steady reduction is what we needed.

13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

There was also a rise midweek. Not the progress I was hoping for and can't see any changes being made next week now, sadly. Sustained and steady reduction is what we needed.

Indeed. You get the feeling that we're just holding the tiger back with a chair at the moment.

Brighton Jambo
11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. You get the feeling that we're just holding the tiger back with a chair at the moment.

I agree, something needs to change.  There is no sign that case numbers are falling in any significant way so we either stay in these tiers almost indefinitely or we need something more impactful to really get the rate dropping.   

My observation, anecdotal as it is, is that a lot of people are not obeying the advice. 
What do need though is more transparent figures showing where an how the virus is transmitted. 

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I agree, something needs to change.  There is no sign that case numbers are falling in any significant way so we either stay in these tiers almost indefinitely or we need something more impactful to really get the rate dropping.   

What I fear tbh. Giving them the excuse to almost never relax these rules. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
14 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

My observation, anecdotal as it is, is that a lot of people are not obeying the advice. 
What do need though is more transparent figures showing where an how the virus is transmitted. 

im seeing similar - people who were previously very good at physical distancing etc now a lot more lax or worse appear to not be bothering

not your stereotypical “covidiots” not sure if they just don’t believe it anymore or have just got fed up

for my own selfish reasons I’m still following all the (sensible) rules 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

What I fear tbh. Giving them the excuse to almost never relax these rules. 

batten down the hatches for the winter unfortunately

theres going to be loads of unfortunate people dying over the coming months (as there is in a ‘normal’ winter) and with little chance of any perspective of these tragic events wee burnie even if she wanted to will struggle to be too bold

boris too - next spring boris will just say eff it every person for themselves on the covid front jimmy k probably no

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

batten down the hatches for the winter unfortunately

theres going to be loads of unfortunate people dying over the coming months (as there is in a ‘normal’ winter) and with little chance of any perspective of these tragic events wee burnie even if she wanted to will struggle to be too bold

boris too - next spring boris will just say eff it every person for themselves on the covid front jimmy k probably no

No way Boris will do that and less chance of NS doing it. The damned if you damned if you don’t saying never been more true. 
I don’t blame either of them tbh. Hoping and praying for a vaccine is how this ends imo. If not we dont ever come out of it imo. 
No political leader has the bolloks to ride this out and the lockdowns have been such a shambles people won’t accept a really hard one I don’t think. I won’t anyway. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
12 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

No way Boris will do that and less chance of NS doing it. The damned if you damned if you don’t saying never been more true. 
I don’t blame either of them tbh. Hoping and praying for a vaccine is how this ends imo. If not we dont ever come out of it imo. 
No political leader has the bolloks to ride this out and the lockdowns have been such a shambles people won’t accept a really hard one I don’t think. I won’t anyway. 

no way sturgeon will she’ll be trying to micro-manage the scotch for ever now - I think boris will - winters not the time to do it

Brighton Jambo
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The positive for me is that the media and other scientists are really starting to challenge the data and the projections.  During the first wave there was very little of that but now there is a greater degree of scepticism and scrutiny and that will continue to grow.

I also think that the economic considerations are starting to be more prominent.  Again, in phase one, it was a case of health at all costs and people got very critical of decisions made to protect the economy that created a risk to health.  However people and politicians are starting to realise that it simply isn’t a sustainable position to continue with these restrictions. Politicians across both main parties in England are now starting to make that point and again I think that clamour will grow. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

no way sturgeon will she’ll be trying to micro-manage the scotch for ever now - I think boris will - winters not the time to do it

If you’re going to be a bairn about it mate I’m out discussing with you👍🏼

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

The positive for me is that the media and other scientists are really starting to challenge the data and the projections.  During the first wave there was very little of that but now there is a greater degree of scepticism and scrutiny and that will continue to grow.

I also think that the economic considerations are starting to be more prominent.  Again, in phase one, it was a case of health at all costs and people got very critical of decisions made to protect the economy that created a risk to health.  However people and politicians are starting to realise that it simply isn’t a sustainable position to continue with these restrictions. Politicians across both main parties in England are now starting to make that point and again I think that clamour will grow. 

agreed - the midwits confuse this as being a covid denier tho - one of the key words being “challenge” in that everything might be fine on the projections front but it needs a more robust challenge than before where everyone just scuttled under their beds at the sight of Whitty and Vallance 

the pair of them getting pulled-up by the stats authority is good progress

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

They erred on the side of caution I have no truck with that at all. It’s how we get out of this is what worries me. 
I wish people could stop trying to score political goals in times like this. It helps no one. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

If you’re going to be a bairn about it mate I’m out discussing with you👍🏼

not sure what u mean mate

i don’t think there’s anything more to discuss on this particular point anyway as you think boris won’t and I think he will - both valid opinions

:)

jack D and coke
Just now, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

not sure what u mean mate

i don’t think there’s anything more to discuss on this particular point anyway as you think boris won’t and I think he will - both valid opinions

:)

Krankie and scotch or whatever chat isn’t good imo mate it makes me think whatever point you’re trying to make instantly is purely agenda driven. This thread and social media is absolutely riddled with it. 
Id just like us all to find a way out of this tbh. 
If that wasn’t your intention apologies👍🏼

35 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Trump tried and killed over 230k Americans. Sweden tried and gave up because it wasn't working.

Edited by Ray Gin

"It is ‘futile and immoral’ to seek herd immunity as a protection from a pandemic, and the transmission of an infectious disease like Covid-19 cannot be fully halted without a vaccine"
Sweden
's chief epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell

Dennis Reynolds
17 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

They erred on the side of caution I have no truck with that at all. It’s how we get out of this is what worries me. 
I wish people could stop trying to score political goals in times like this. It helps no one. 

Completely agree.

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Trump tried and killed over 200k Americans. Sweden tried and gave up because it wasn't working.

Trump did not kill 200k Americans any more than Sturgeon killed 4k Scots. What a ludicrous comment to make. 3 or 4 million Americans die every year. This year we have been force-fed daily stats about deaths and, while every death is of course regrettable, Covid deaths make up a fraction of the total and, the vast majority of those have serious underlying health conditions

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Trump did not kill 200k Americans any more than Sturgeon killed 4k Scots. What a ludicrous comment to make. 3 or 4 million Americans die every year. This year we have been force-fed daily stats about deaths and, while every death is of course regrettable, Covid deaths make up a fraction of the total and, the vast majority of those have serious underlying health conditions

Apologies, that sentence was unintentionally missing an "it" (I've had a few beers).

It should have read "and it killed over 200k Americans". Clearly Trump did not do so himself, although his ineptitude undoubtedly made the figure far higher than it should be. 

CavySlaveJambo
9 hours ago, graygo said:

You've got to wonder why minks? only minks? 🥺

Because minks are the only example of Animal to Human transmission. Canines and Felines are dead end hosts. 

Also the problem with the mink strain is how it mutated if it does cause illness in humans.  

Brighton Jambo
29 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Politics does come into it though and it’s not credible to pretend otherwise.  The Conservative party have not come out of this well to say the least but they do challenge their leader and hold him to account for his decisions.  It makes him have to consider all angles, look at the vote this week where a number wouldn’t back him.  

I know I have a history of criticism aimed at SG and accept that might cloud my view but I do wish we could see that same internal debate within the Scottish government as maybe it would help us explore all ways out of this situation.  Maybe it does happen behind closed doors and I am not being fair but a public debate on the strategy would not do any harm in my opinion.  

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Apologies, that sentence was unintentionally missing an "it" (I've had a few beers).

It should have read "and it killed over 200k Americans". Clearly Trump did not do so himself, although his ineptitude undoubtedly made the figure far higher than it should be. 

I did wonder tbh. 😄. Yes, that makes more sense and I agree, his handling of the pandemic has resulted in more deaths than may otherwise have occurred. Anyway, enjoy the beer as I am about to do myself🍺

Dennis Reynolds
1 minute ago, husref musemic said:

image.thumb.png.9813eb7036bce25258b9bc6d8ed24327.png

again interesting to see Edinburgh's position & the tier it continues to be in.

West Lothian ruining it for the lothians!

12 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Because minks are the only example of Animal to Human transmission. Canines and Felines are dead end hosts. 

Also the problem with the mink strain is how it mutated if it does cause illness in humans.  

The only example so far.......

Well apparently it has infected humans, how ill they have become wasn't said, probably because it didn't suit the narrative.

Edited by graygo

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, husref musemic said:

image.thumb.png.9813eb7036bce25258b9bc6d8ed24327.png

again interesting to see Edinburgh's position & the tier it continues to be in.

Well looking at the stats for my area (E Dunbartonshire) I may as well settle in for the long haul.  Could people start posting pictures of the inside of pubs as it will be months before I get inside one.  

6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I did wonder tbh. 😄. Yes, that makes more sense and I agree, his handling of the pandemic has resulted in more deaths than may otherwise have occurred. Anyway, enjoy the beer as I am about to do myself🍺

:cheers:

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Are you hankering for a full scale lockdown or something?

I wonder if this new increase has anything to do with Halloween/Cup Semi parties last weekend? Bound to have been loads of folk bumping the rules.

I'm hankering after the SG to tackle source(s) of the continued spread of the virus because what they've restricted so far is clearly not where the problem lies. 

Dennis Reynolds
11 minutes ago, graygo said:

The only example so far.......

Well apparently it has infected humans, how ill they have become wasn't said, probably because it didn't suit the narrative.

Pretty sure I read earlier that the people that have tested positive for the worrying cluster all had mild symptoms.  Certainly no worse than whats going about.

Personally, I think this is all a bit of a red herring that won't really be spoken about in a couple weeks. Although if it closes mink fur farms, good.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic