Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Speaking of north korea, I heard from a guy whose kids are in a school down south, the school was closed for a couple of weeks as there were a few cases. They're opening again next week and one of the new rules is that all windows must be open in the classroom but the kids aren't allowed to wear hoodies or coats :lol: 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

manaliveits105
50 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Where is Sturgeon ? they have wheeled out calamity Swinney to lead todays briefing.

Uncle Fester with the Halloween message 

22 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I watched a bit of it, got the gist of his argument.

I wonder if he can explain why in North & South Lanarkshire, where the +ve tests are highest, the hospitals are full? 

Highest tests - False Positives? The PCR testing is unreliable.

Hospitals full? Full of what exactly? People who have been denied care during previous lockdown? 

Governor Tarkin

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He just comes across as such a boring guy. I’m sure opinions of people who know him are more important to him than some random on jkb though so fair do’s. 

2 minutes ago, weehammy said:

I have no doubt he’s a nice chap or that he works hard. He’s just not very good at what he does.

:D Fair enough.

As an aside, he also says that Murrell is a pleasant enough guy to get on with as a casual acquaintance, despite being a Hibs ****, but is convinced that his marriage to Sturgeon is one of some sort of convenience.

:interehjrling:

Sturgeon herself is also alright, apparently, and was very understanding when he informed her that he could no longer offer her his vote after her minimum pricing policy on alcohol put ~10p on to the cost of a bottle of McEwans Champion at Tesco.

N Lincs Jambo
14 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:D Fair enough.

As an aside, he also says that Murrell is a pleasant enough guy to get on with as a casual acquaintance, despite being a Hibs ****, but is convinced that his marriage to Sturgeon is one of some sort of convenience.

:interehjrling:

Sturgeon herself is also alright, apparently, and was very understanding when he informed her that he could no longer offer her his vote after her minimum pricing policy on alcohol put ~10p on to the cost of a bottle of McEwans Champion at Tesco.

Used to go to the football with his brother back in the early 80s. Good Hearts supporting family. Not seen any of them in decades but he was as I recall a principled guy although I concede the charisma gene seems to have passed him by.

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, JamboSpur said:

I urge all to take a watch at this and ask yourself what's really going on.

Saw this yesterday JS. There's a lot of info he's been putting out (not just in this video) which really explains the science behind the shit show. He clearly doesn't want to get drawn into the politics behind it all and doesn't really welcome the attention on him now. But as he says, the truth needs to come out.

jack D and coke
Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I'm not watching a 42 minute youtube video, what is the truth? 

Just watched it having my lunch there. He’s pulling it all apart basically..

Its not a boring video imo. He’s an experienced guy and knowledgable. 
This whole thing is utter bullshit basically but he offers no opinions why it’s being portrayed the way it is. Like a lot of people he doesn’t understand what is going on. 

1 hour ago, JamboSpur said:

I urge all to take a watch at this and ask yourself what's really going on.

Totally f****** my head that, is he bang on with Death stats etc is it normal? 

36 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Speaking of north korea, I heard from a guy whose kids are in a school down south, the school was closed for a couple of weeks as there were a few cases. They're opening again next week and one of the new rules is that all windows must be open in the classroom but the kids aren't allowed to wear hoodies or coats :lol: 

You taking the piss? 

Samuel Camazzola
9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This has to be taking the piss based on the current shitshow...

Coronavirus in Scotland: Professor Jason Leitch wins prestigious award for handling of Covid crisis

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/coronavirus-scotland-professor-jason-leitch-19190906

TBF, Mrs Brown's Boys won a prestigious award this year. It's still pish though. 👍 

N Lincs Jambo
10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Just watched it having my lunch there. He’s pulling it all apart basically..

Its not a boring video imo. He’s an experienced guy and knowledgable. 
This whole thing is utter bullshit basically but he offers no opinions why it’s being portrayed the way it is. Like a lot of people he doesn’t understand what is going on. 

Just my opinion but I think he does understand what is going on but is choosing to stick to the area of his expertise, ie the science.

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

TBF, Mrs Brown's Boys won a prestigious award this year. It's still pish though. 👍 

He should go on that. At least I’d only have to avoid one channel. 

14 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The pandemic is over as there is no longer any excess deaths. That is this guys truth.

I agree to an extent however I have just heard the two of our friends from the Liverpool area have tested positive and were due to arrive here in Tenerife on Sunday needless to say that has been put on hold. Both in there early 70s and have some underlying health conditions. 
the pandemic is by no means over. 

Samuel Camazzola
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He should go on that. At least I’d only have to avoid one channel. 

He'll be on Only An Excuse. The west coast banter merchants will lap it up. 

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

How do they know they never caught it?

If they had mild cases then it is less likely for them to pass it on and less likely for the next person to get a severe case.  Maybe they were very careful to not pass it in the house while infected and maybe they ventilated the house well, as demonstrated in the article linked.

I think there is a fair amount of evidence that it is if not exactly then pretty close to a "crazy mad infectious disease".

To be fair Brian, the article you shared was an interesting read but very much theoretical and in no way evidential of what is happening on the ground. The Scottish Hospitality Group reported 17 cases from 1.8million visits. Likewise, thousands of supermarket staff have been working since March without being infected, mingling with thousands of people.  The one thing Covid is not, is a "crazy, mad infectious disease" and it's hysterical for it to be described as such. It will affect the most vulnerable and does appear to spread in clusters where a perfect storm exists. But large swathes of the population may have a natural immunity to it. Who knows? The Diamond Princess was a test case where it spread unhindered for a fortnight yet only 18% were infected. Flu circulates each year and causes thousands of deaths. Ask anyone how many times they have had flu in their lifetime and they'll probably say never, once or maybe twice. How do most people avoid flu while frequenting packex pubs, clubs, shops or trains?? 

Scottish numbers: 30 October 2020

Summary

• 1,281 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+153]
  • 28 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-9]
  • 83 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-3]
  • 1,170 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+18]
  • 25,054 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 6.0% of these were positive

Per-board, per-100,000 case stats:

Greater Glasgow 42 [+7], Lanarkshire 39 [-1], Ayrshire 23 [-10], Lothian 21 [+8], Tayside 21 [+9], Forth Valley 14 [-1], Dumfries & Galloway 11 [+5], Fife 10 [-4].

All others: below 10.

44 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Coronavirus in Scotland: Professor Jason Leitch wins prestigious award for handling of Covid crisis

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/coronavirus-scotland-professor-jason-leitch-19190906

You having a laugh?

Well I suppose he can add it to his list of honours on his wikipedia page - or perhaps our resident troll has already done that for him. 

What a joke. 

35 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Bestowed by the Saltire Society. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

You seem to have a problem with Scottish institutions simply because they are Scottish. Maybe you should look at their website and then explain what you mean by Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! 

43 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Accepting an award in the midst of a pandemic

:vrface:

If he had any self awareness he'd have politely declined.

Smacks of Hibs celebrating after their 2-0 win v Hamilton in the relegation play off.

Hope he's on Off the Ball as usual on Saturday to explain why it was so richly deserved.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The Scottish Hospitality Group reported 17 cases from 1.8million visits

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/scottish-hospitality-sector-a-vital-22762344

This is a U.K. wide study. As someone who works in hospitality I’m more inclined to trust an independent study as opposed to the Insider. 
Here’s a better link. 
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-eat-out-to-help-out-accelerated-second-wave-of-covid-19-study-says-12118285

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Sorry, I haven't been clear, I agree with you, I am saying that the industry claim to only have 17 cases, I do not trust their number either.

I don’t think I will going for lunch anytime soon. 

10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Assuming the tests used here and in Poland are the same, my recent post about a person doing 15 tests on themselves and being told 5 of them came back +ve and 10 -ve means that stat blasts such as these tell us very little indeed, unfortunately.

I'll wait until someone provides the results from a similar exercise in the UK before I pass judgement on that, jonesy. It's not just about the tests, it's about the whole procedure surrounding the tests, including the interpretation of the results. I'm not saying that the Polish test wouldn't be interesting, if it is true, it's just that countries do things in different ways. In fact, regions within countries can do things in different ways.

Edited by redjambo

29 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Where do they get the 17 cases figure from? Those figures were also quoted with the 3% of cases in England coming from hospitality, but that is not correct.

As far as I can see like others in the sector they are getting their cases and outbreaks mixed up, I think we've been over this ground before

Cases and outbreaks are going to be pretty similar. They are both good indicators. As all pubs do track and trace, they will have an accurate record of who has come in and how many times they have been contacted. The figure came directly from the chairman of the SHG.

Just received this message from my surgery thankfully I went to the Chemist to get mine at the end of September.

Please disregard previous message. Sent in error. Please do not phone the practice. Drive thru clinics this weekend cancelled due to weather.

Also my wife’s Area nurse manager has been drafted in to sort out the mess of the current vaccine programme. Apparently is a shambles!!  

Edited by Boy Daniel

Governor Tarkin
15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think I will going for lunch anytime soon. 

Shitebag.

37 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

If you do as he says and look for yourself you will see that excess deaths are up in the North East and North West of England, two fo the worst hit areas for Covid infections and Deaths just now. 

I wish this guy was right, but he's not...........

I've done what you suggest and got the following for week ending 16th October, these are the latest ons figures.

North East: 510 (5 year average) 544 (actual)

North West 1328 (5 year average) 1367 (actual)

Does that support a "pandemic"?

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

I've done what you suggest and got the following for week ending 16th October, these are the latest ons figures.

North East: 510 (5 year average) 544 (actual)

North West 1328 (5 year average) 1367 (actual)

Does that support a "pandemic"?

Maybe it supports an improvement in dealing with the worst cases of Covid? 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Dammed if you do and Dammed if you don’t. 

Amsterdammed? There were many other options available to boost the hospitality sector and economy, this one was a disaster. 
Here’s another awful decision that ended up costing lives. 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/30/coronavirus-strain-from-spain-accounts-for-most-uk-cases-study

Edited by Pasquale for King

3 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

:lol: 

You are kidding right?

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sure - not meant to belittle your efforts on this thread.

If I had the cash to burn I'd do the 15 test-test myself just for shits and giggles.

I do, however, find the daily anticipation, reporting and analysis of the stats to be somewhere between macabre and absurd given, as you say, the variance between testing/reporting systems around the country and the world.

Trends. That's all I personally am really interested in. It's very difficult to relate stats and numbers with the actual probability that you're going to catch the virus going about your daily life. I personally just want to know how and what we're doing in the fight against the virus, both here and abroad.

Anyway, it's Halloween. Its a good time to be macabre. :smile:

1 minute ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

:lol: 

You are kidding right?

No, it’s a genuine observation. The evidence is that the medical profession are getting a better understanding of how the virus behaves. Plus some of the drug combinations they now use are helping people in icu and on ventilators. 
so no I’m not kidding. 

14 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

it does if you look at the trend and compare it to where we were in the last week of March when we went into lockdown.

I get the guy has loads of qualifications, so why would you believe me, I expect we will see another big jump in excess deaths when the figures come out this week.

At it's worst the North East had 1,155 deaths with a 5 year average of 540. The figures for now are nowhere near that. 544 and 510.

31 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The 3-person expert panel consisted of:

Jason

Mr Leitch

The Dentist

The dentist who would have studied microbiology as part of his dental degree and then went on to study public health at Harvard University? 

That dentist?

2 minutes ago, FWJ said:

The dentist who would have studied microbiology as part of his dental degree and then went on to study public health at Harvard University? 

That dentist?

Yeah the dentist.

He's probably an expert in open heart surgery then as well.

He's a dentist.

7 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Yeah the dentist.

He's probably an expert in open heart surgery then as well.

He's a dentist.

Yes he is a dentist, one who studied public health at Harvard University.

I’m not sure what the “open heart surgery” stuff has to do with anything. 

Edited by FWJ

29 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Well yes but that just adds to the argument against lockdowns. 

An improvement in that they are using mechanical ventilation less.

Edited by graygo

2 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Yes he is a dentist, one who studied public health at Harvard University.

I’m not sure what the “open heart surgery” stuff has to do with anything.

Dentists don’t do open heart surgery. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

He's worked not as a dentist longer than he worked as a dentist.

So he's not even a very experienced dentist. Christ it gets worse.

Still he no doubt has dreams of Strictly or I'm a Celebrity when he decides the world is safe again.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Dentists don’t do open heart surgery. 

This guy could, he's an expert on viruses and no doubt everything else.

6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Agreed, I am not saying it is at the worst levels of wave one, I am saying it is at the levels just as we locked down the first time. That was when the excess deaths started to rise above average.  

Lets see what the figures are by next week, they aren't released daily.

As has been said on this page, treatment of the worst cases is better than it was back then, I'd be surprised if it gets that bad again. Fingers crossed anyway.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic