Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

The economy has been fecked for 12 years, so another couple of months isn't gonnae change a thing. It's not been the same since 2008. 

And I thought the Hamilton guy was the only troll on this thread 

Nearly a thousand pages in and this is up there with the worst one yet

You must have a job unaffected by all this 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, OBE said:

Told you so's ain't creating the doom, but they're the mongers, aye ok!

Glad you agree. 👍

:cornette:

Edited by Governor Tarkin

4 minutes ago, theshed said:

Convinced they’re both the same person with a a split personality in the way they type. But in common they are both arseholes.

I've set up an interview for Amazon parcel delivering just in case full lockdown comes. England stay at home order is predicted for Monday and I can't see Scotland not doing the same to back England up on this. 

Not doom, reality. Boris should have used the small lockdown when he was advised to do so. 

6 minutes ago, theshed said:

Not so. Well be fecked just the same as the rest, but at least the full timers will be furloughed. I'll need to do something else. 

2 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Convinced they’re both the same person with a a split personality in the way they type. But in common they are both arseholes.

Don't recall abusing you. But hey, I've all weekend to make you cry. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I've set up an interview for Amazon parcel delivering just in case full lockdown comes. England stay at home order is predicted for Monday and I can't see Scotland not doing the same to back England up on this. 

Not doom, reality. Boris should have used the small lockdown when he was advised to do so. 

If we follow England that’ll please a few on here.

:lol:

It’ll be the same ones who have criticised the SG on all fronts.

Karma.

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You ready for the interview?

'Do you have a van?' 

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Karma.

4000 Deaths a day predicted for England if they don't shut now. :( Fecking hell! 

The Real Maroonblood

4000 Deaths a day predicted for England if they don't shut now. :( Fecking hell! 

Horrendous.

Good luck with the interview.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Just now, Gone said:

You ready for the interview?

'Do you have a van?' 

Aye, but it's too wee, but I'll just hire another for a month if needed. 🤞Hope the building sites stay open. 

My missus last shift today in retail,made redundant due to restructuring,30 years service and the only job she has had.

12 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Karma.

It is a challenge when whatever the SG does, it will always be wrong, irrespective of what is happening in rUK or rest of world.

Even Johnson doesn't get that much grief.

Edited by DETTY29

28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

When the 50,000 cases per day prediction was made it was dismissed by saying it's just modelling and that modelling is wrong.  The current state of affairs is worse than the 50,000 per day status.  A lot of scientists are on the tv programmes this morning and they're clearly worried with what they see.  They aren't all hunched over a set of modelling scenarios.  They're looking at real information about the epidemic and the NHS.  

Professor Semple of Liverpool University rightly pointed out that more people are being successfully treated but that the average duration of stay in hospital is longer.  He was rightly alluding to what will happen when the volume of hospital patients becomes such that people will no longer get access to the treatment being given to today's patients.  That's not an observation from a model.  It's a sober realisation that next month's patients wont get that longer stay in hospital to be treated,  because they'll be lucky to see the inside of a hospital.  

The model was wrong. He admitted it was wrong as he presented it. The predicted number of daily cases was 50k by mid October, we are currently at half that. We have reached the worst case scenario position apparently based on a projection of people who might have been infected.

the actual stats of admissions are at half the level of of their peak and patients requiring ventilation less than one third of peak. The nhs has improved capacity and treatment and both the above are rising less steeply than the initial wave. 

however we have reached the projected worst case scenario? How can a worst case scenario be less severe than what has already occurred? 

this also ignores that in some areas infection rates are showing early signs of stabilising in some areas.

Scientists saying stuff isn’t science. There are plenty of scientists and clinicians saying different things.

we constantly shift focus from a single factor ignoring all other factors. We need a mature rounded response from our elected officials.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, DETTY29 said:

It is a challenge when whatever the SG do, it will always be wrong, irrespective of what is happening in rUK or rest of world.

This.

1 minute ago, flogel41 said:

The model was wrong. He admitted it was wrong as he presented it. The predicted number of daily cases was 50k by mid October, we are currently at half that. We have reached the worst case scenario position apparently based on a projection of people who might have been infected.

the actual stats of admissions are at half the level of of their peak and patients requiring ventilation less than one third of peak. The nhs has improved capacity and treatment and both the above are rising less steeply than the initial wave. 

however we have reached the projected worst case scenario? How can a worst case scenario be less severe than what has already occurred? 

this also ignores that in some areas infection rates are showing early signs of stabilising in some areas.

Scientists saying stuff isn’t science. There are plenty of scientists and clinicians saying different things.

we constantly shift focus from a single factor ignoring all other factors. We need a mature rounded response from our elected officials.

The model also predicted 100 deaths a day. Its now at near 300.

30 minutes ago, theshed said:

Your ire should be at whoever has primarily held the UK purse strings since the crash.

Edit - if you have been impacted, I hope things turn out for the better, best.

Edited by DETTY29

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

They couldn't predict the winner in a one horse race.

The post I've just posted backs you up. But not in a good way. Their predictions seem to be underestimated. 

I'd rather be critical of all government for overreacting rather than doing not enough, jonesy. 

Yes this thing is shite, but what can they do, they're trying everything to keep the place open, they're just gonnae have to open and shut when required til we get to live again. 

Edited by ri Alban

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

They couldn't predict the winner in a one horse race.

Can there be a winner if there's no loser?

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The post I've just posted backs you up. But not in a good way. They're predictions seem to be underestimated. 

I'd rather be critical of all government for overreacting rather than doing not enough, jonesy. 

Yes this thing is shite, but what can they do, they're trying everything to keep the place open, they're just f gonnae have to open and shut when required til we get to live again. 

You called it early on.

Keep the vulnerable shielded away and let rest get on with it.

People have take responsibility for themselves firstly. We are going round in circles until a vaccine.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

You called it early on.

People have take responsibility for themselves firstly. We are going round in circles until a vaccine.

The vaccine that hardly anyone wants to take? That one? 
🙈🙈

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

🙈🙈

You try it first JD, I think you get a bit dosh to test it.

You could end with an award for saving the world, never mind the economy.

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

You called it early on.

I'm starting to lose my fight now. Tommy. It's pure shite. 

I've stayed off here all week, since a friend of mine was eventually brought out of a coma cause by covid. I can't be bothered anymore with folk telling me pubs are save or covid is some government take over or just the flu. Yes, I said that in February, and I'm a prick for saying it. 

Stay safe, bud. 👍

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

🙈🙈

:lol: do you really believe that? Well I guess no one wants to have to take these things, but they will. The ones making a song and dance about not taking it will be first in line, nap. 

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

🙈🙈

Feck it, I'll take it. But I'd rather the folk who need it most took it, first. And that possibly could be folk under 65. Who knows. 

I'm starting to lose my fight now. Tommy. It's pure shite. 

I've stayed off here all week, since a friend of mine was eventually brought out of a coma cause by covid. I can't be bothered anymore with folk telling me pubs are save or covid is some government take over or just the flu. Yes, I said that in February, and I'm a prick for saying it. 

Stay safe, bud. 👍

Wasn't knocking you.

16 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sorry to hear that. All the best to her if and when she looks for new work. It can be difficult after giving so much of your time and energy to one employer.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

The fish has said construction and manufacturing stay open in event of national lockdown, 

I'm a bit sick of the rain Lordie. :D

Anyway, just in case. 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

When the 50,000 cases per day prediction was made it was dismissed by saying it's just modelling and that modelling is wrong.  The current state of affairs is worse than the 50,000 per day status.  A lot of scientists are on the tv programmes this morning and they're clearly worried with what they see.  They aren't all hunched over a set of modelling scenarios.  They're looking at real information about the epidemic and the NHS.  

Professor Semple of Liverpool University rightly pointed out that more people are being successfully treated but that the average duration of stay in hospital is longer.  He was rightly alluding to what will happen when the volume of hospital patients becomes such that people will no longer get access to the treatment being given to today's patients.  That's not an observation from a model.  It's a sober realisation that next month's patients wont get that longer stay in hospital to be treated,  because they'll be lucky to see the inside of a hospital.  

How close are England to hitting NHS capacity?

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Wasn't knocking you.

I know, bud. 👍 Sorry I wasn't either. 

Yesterday I lost my fight, altogether. People can do what they want, hopefully it doesn't cost us all, in the end. 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My local is probably one of the safest places to go.

Lets punish the majority.

:rofl:

33 minutes ago, weegranty said:

My missus last shift today in retail,made redundant due to restructuring,30 years service and the only job she has had.

Sorry to hear that. Absolutely terrible what this is going to do a huge number of people. Hope your wife is okay.

9 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

How close are England to hitting NHS capacity?

South West and Midlands apparently only 2 weeks off at current admission rates.

Keeps going and all hospitals and nightingales full before Christmas.

Apparently.

8 minutes ago, pablo said:

Sorry to hear that. Absolutely terrible what this is going to do a huge number of people. Hope your wife is okay.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

That for me is the problem. SAGE don't appear to be looking at the evidenced based science but just the mathematical algorithms. Who knows what data they are putting in. All their predictions (and those of ICL) have been wrong. 

Sage have dozens of the most respected scientists across all field of knowledge including behavioural scientists. The notion that they are incapable translating numerical data into appropriate harm reduction strategies is frankly ludicrous. The tiered response  alone shows that they are trying to balance economic priorities with health needs. Deciding who goes where and where the lines are drawn are political decisions based on the real life knowledge they continue to assimilate as well as the modelling they do. 

Expecting the average citizen to fully appreciate the highly nuanced nature of this decision making process is maybe a step too far though. It is Jason Leitch's ability to bridge this gap that makes him such a valuable asset to the SG and feeds in to the very high approval ratings the SG has on its handling of this matter. Maybe those responsible in England could get him for a short secondment.

54 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Which of course is utter garbage. Come on, you know by now, not one of these modelling fantasies has come true. Might as well say if it doubles every day then we're all gonna die!!

41 minutes ago, weegranty said:

36 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sorry to hear that. All the best to her if and when she looks for new work. It can be difficult after giving so much of your time and energy to one employer.

Echo @jonsey comments and sorry to hear.

Hopefully she is getting a decent redundancy package and finds a new job.

I'm far from convinced employers really understand the emotion and devotion long time employees invest in their businesses. 

It's obvious now the tier system at least in England should not have been introduced as it has had no time to impact anything at all before going into lockdown.It should have been the breaker then the tier system put in place.Arse from elbow again by the government.Its not as if they don't see thing unfolding and not working in other countries cause it's pretty much the same shambolic route they follow so why the **** do it.

This is not being a bag humbug I'm starting to get angry at the continued **** ups.

Also does anyone really believe the 4 weeks will help Christmas and what if it does everybody ****ed again by late Feb and what next save Easter.Im not even pissed off for myself I'm pissed of for my bairn and his grandparents.

jack D and coke
30 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

:lol: do you really believe that? Well I guess no one wants to have to take these things, but they will. The ones making a song and dance about not taking it will be first in line, nap. 

I don’t what it is you believe bud you seem to think it’s all a laugh. I know people who are terrified. A mate isn’t coming to watch the game with us today and tbh he only really let It out last night why we haven’t seen him for months is that his mum has barely left her house since March and that he sees he through the window, she’s petrified. She has underlying health issues as well. Last week was the anniversary of his son dying suddenly he’d have been 21 and they didn’t get together to mourn because his mum is so afraid. I know them all very well and that’s upsetting, I know how much my mate goes into severe downers at this time of year and he doesn’t cope that well. Phone calls and stuff only really do so much you have other stuff to deal with and you forget about them. We always used to make sure he got out and about at this time to have a few beers and he’d tell you heavy stuff how he’s thought about ending it. I really don’t find this funny. I know a girl who’s son is afraid to go to school again because the cases are rising and that they have to go for tests every now and again or he freaks out he’s got it, he’s 12. You seem to think everyone thinks like you and doesn’t care a monkeys. That’s really not how it is. 
Do I want to take a new drug that’s not really been tested? Not particularly but do I want to live like this? Do I ****. 

1 hour ago, flogel41 said:

Rule 1 of modelling; all models are wrong!

it’s all about the quality of data going in and for this pandemic the data is at best unreliable.

Weather forecasting is a good example of modelling complex systems where we have decades worth of reliable data and medium to long term forecasting is still unreliable. 

The paper which has led to the headlines this morning is over 2 weeks old. It states all the models used for their predictions significantly diverge after two weeks. I.e. are unreliable.

having said that, that doesn’t mean we should do nothing. The paper also strongly recommends widespread testing, improved track and trace, better investigation of transmission routes, better communication of strategy etc etc

The way out of this will involve us making behavioural changes but the governments monomaniacal approach to satisfy the 24 hr sensationalist media will not see us out of this. There is not a lockdown and done answer to this. 

And the R number has lowered in England for the last 2 weeks. So, where exactly are these nonsensical modelling fantasies coming from??  Why are SAGE so obsessed with this public control experiment?  Ffs, even outdoor Remembrance Services are banned and the guests at Westminster Abbey are not allowed to sing. What kind of country are we in?? Did soldiers sacrifice their life for this sh*t show?? In another sinister development,  Professor Sunetra Gupta, eminent infectious disease epidemiologist at Oxford and one of the signatories of the Great Barrington Declaration, was invited on to a radio programme recently and told, by a senior exec, not to mention the GBD, as the "public would not be familiar with it". Another national radio station withdrew an invitation, at short notice, as, on reflection, it "wouldn't be in the national interest" to hear her views. It really doesn't get much more sinister than that. 

The public should be given information from all sides and told how to protect themselves. Each and every one of us can assess our own particular risk. Hands, face, space and you can carry on as normal.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Amazon certainly are busy, just ordered another t-shirt, doing my bit for the economy.

Just in case anyone has not seen it. Quite an interesting article from the BBC asking experts when they expect life to get “back to normal”, and what they see the next year looking like.

Obviously there is speculation involved from the experts in how things will pan out but quite interesting to read the different views.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54661843

16 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Echo @jonsey comments and sorry to hear.

Hopefully she is getting a decent redundancy package and finds a new job.

I'm far from convinced employers really understand the emotion and devotion long time employees invest in their businesses. 

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I don’t what it is you believe bud you seem to think it’s all a laugh. I know people who are terrified. A mate isn’t coming to watch the game with us today and tbh he only really let It out last night why we haven’t seen him for months is that his mum has barely left her house since March and that he sees he through the window, she’s petrified. She has underlying health issues as well. Last week was the anniversary of his son dying suddenly he’d have been 21 and they didn’t get together to mourn because his mum is so afraid. I know them all very well and that’s upsetting, I know how much my mate goes into severe downers at this time of year and he doesn’t cope that well. Phone calls and stuff only really do so much you have other stuff to deal with and you forget about them. We always used to make sure he got out and about at this time to have a few beers and he’d tell you heavy stuff how he’s thought about ending it. I really don’t find this funny. I know a girl who’s son is afraid to go to school again because the cases are rising and that they have to go for tests every now and again or he freaks out he’s got it, he’s 12. You seem to think everyone thinks like you and doesn’t care a monkeys. That’s really not how it is. 
Do I want to take a new drug that’s not really been tested? Not particularly but do I want to live like this? Do I ****. 

My mum won't go any further than her own Garden.She went shopping once with my sister but couldn't handle it again.She is not petrified and is alright pottering about in the garden but she wants to stay alive and that's what she feels she has to do.Luckily my sister lives near by so she takes her shopping and stuff.Its just brutal man.

10 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Amazon certainly are busy, just ordered another t-shirt, doing my bit for the economy.

:yas: Christmas is always busy with Amazon. Just don't get papped with Flats. Nightmare. But wait, lockdown, everyone should be in.

:rudiyas:

Hopefully building sites stay open. 

:robboyas:

Hopefully my tax rebate finally comes through this week so I can take time off. 

:robbo:

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Pubs, restaurants and Universities are the problem. Keep them shut with full funding til this is over. 

Only partly right.  Universities certainly, the others no.

Secondary Schools are also a major problem.  Zero social distancing and proud of it.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic