Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

husref musemic
2 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Maybe someone can explain why there a numerous stories in the press of random idiots breaking Covid rules (I.e. not isolating, breaking quarantine, etc) being handed £5-10k fines, yet Margaret Ferrier didn’t receive any punishment for knowingly travelling by public transport when having Covid?

well said. it's amazing how that's been scrubbed from the news agenda.

"Quick quick get a complicated tier system out"

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I don't disagree but you're never going to get on top of this virus with a huge transmission vector running unchecked. You can shut pubs and ban household mixing all you want its never going to beat it. 

Completely agree. Until a vaccine we are just going to be ****ing about with peoples lives.

Regarding kids my sons training was at the world of football last night. Place was an utter shambles. Kids everywhere mixing about trying to get into and out of pitches, every pitch being used. In comparison to when I played 5’s there until Nicola put a stop to it the place was only ever at 50% capacity, used pitches spread out and the place was empty. That makes no sense. 

45 minutes ago, graygo said:

They've had imported cases though.

From the article - "So far, about 340,000 people have been under home quarantine, "

In total that's not bad we had about 40 million just getting out for a walk and the elderly not leaving their garden for go knows how long.

I think the main thing is they understood the virus and the devestating effects it would have right from the off.Here we still don't seem to understand it all and just bumble from one shit plan to the next.

Edited by vegas-voss

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

So somebody has done a study saying Covid doesn’t spread as well with windows open? You’d have thought that would have been bigger news and led to more windows being open all over the country and not just schools. 

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?fbclid=IwAR0N1TXZfWTArJsl6Y1oIGQbiNbZrbpGm7fOkUOlDOaka2J69m25IKsFLlQ

Just realised someone else posted the link. 

Edited by Boy Daniel
Just realised someone else posted the link.

48 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

In total that's not bad we had about 40 million just getting out for a walk and the elderly not leaving their garden for go knows how long.

I think the main thing is they understood the virus and the devestating effects it would have right from the off.Here we still don't seem to understand it all and just bumble from one shit plan to the next.

There's a world of difference between what 40 million of us did and what quarantine in Taiwan looks like.

Edited by graygo

13 minutes ago, graygo said:

There's a word of difference between what 40 million of us did and what quarantine in Taiwan looks like.

And yet we are no further forward and will most probably be in full lockdown within a month after this tier system gets abandoned.As I said though we could never implement everything they Taiwan done but we could have been closer and it's not only government that needs to do it society as a whole need to look at ourselves.

You are right though a world of difference.Hardly anyone has died there for a start.

Edited by vegas-voss

7 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

And yet we are no further forward and will most probably be in full lockdown within a month after this tier system gets abandoned.As I said though we could never implement everything they Taiwan done but we could have been closer and it's not only government that needs to do it society as a whole need to look at ourselves.

So somewhere between the 2 but leaning slightly more towards what they have? 👍

Just now, graygo said:

So somewhere between the 2 but leaning slightly more towards what they have? 👍

Whatever helps get everyone's life back to normal.

jack D and coke
17 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

Well I know a couple of people who have had this and no one else in their homes have been affected. One guy who has a wife and 3 kids and none of them caught it and my cousin recently had it and neither his wife nor his kid became infected. One late 40’s and my cousin is early 50’s and said it was like having the cold. Both completely fine. 
If it’s this crazy mad infectious disease how do you explain that. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

So somebody has done a study saying Covid doesn’t spread as well with windows open? You’d have thought that would have been bigger news and led to more windows being open all over the country and not just schools. 

Yep means we can visit other people’s houses and leave the windows open 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

How do they know they never caught it?

If they had mild cases then it is less likely for them to pass it on and less likely for the next person to get a severe case.  Maybe they were very careful to not pass it in the house while infected and maybe they ventilated the house well, as demonstrated in the article linked.

I think there is a fair amount of evidence that it is if not exactly then pretty close to a "crazy mad infectious disease".

A disease that has the world in this shitshow where people don’t even know they’re ill?! My cousin is an unhealthy git an all used to smoke 60 fags a day and he shook it off no problem and yet we’re looking at another national lockdown. I don’t understand this at all. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

A disease that has the world in this shitshow where people don’t even know they’re ill?! My cousin is an unhealthy git an all used to smoke 60 fags a day and he shook it off no problem and yet we’re looking at another national lockdown. I don’t understand this at all. 

My granddaughter has it and she has no symptoms.

Whole household in isolation.

On Sunday she can go out but the rest have to stay in until Tuesday.

They’ve been tested negative.

Madness.

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My granddaughter has it and she has no symptoms.

Whole household in isolation.

On Sunday she can go out but the rest have to stay in until Tuesday.

They’ve been tested negative.

Madness.

The whole thing is utterly bonkers🤷🏽‍♂️

29 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Well I know a couple of people who have had this and no one else in their homes have been affected. One guy who has a wife and 3 kids and none of them caught it and my cousin recently had it and neither his wife nor his kid became infected. One late 40’s and my cousin is early 50’s and said it was like having the cold. Both completely fine. 

Wife's cousin has it just now nobody else has it in the household yet though.He is fit and healthy 43 but is ****ed with it ( not about to drop dead with it , really bad flu like symptoms ) so it really just must depend on how much you are exposed to it.I know of others that have had nothing more than a tickling type of cough.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Wife's cousin has it just now nobody else has it in the household yet though.He is fit and healthy 43 but is ****ed with it ( not about to drop dead with it , really bad flu like symptoms ) so it really just must depend on how much you are exposed to it.I know of others that have had nothing more than a tickling type of cough.

How can it affect people so differently? None of this makes any sense. 
Hope he’s ok btw. 

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Hope he’s ok btw. 

It's exposure , the longer you are exposed to it the worst the effect I'm led to believe.I reckon he will be ok but it has floored him.He is one of those guys that is always active and hardly in the house so the staying in the one room will probably be a night are for him.

Edited by vegas-voss

27 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Only person I've met who's had it was earlier this week. Said it was like a mild cold and was shocked when he tested positive.

40 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Shite testing?

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Only person I've met who's had it was earlier this week. Said it was like a mild cold and was shocked when he tested positive.

Quite a lot like that recently that I have heard about and as Jack said nobody else in the household seemed to get it.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Quite a lot like that recently that I have heard about and as Jack said nobody else in the household seemed to get it.

Think there's a lot to be said for the super spreader theory and that 80% of transmissions come from 20% of the infected. 

That said, I'd say that has seemed apparent for quite a long time yet we've not adapted our measures to suit.

Edited by Taffin

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It is incredibly mild for most folks.

many people get not symptoms at all

The people who take seriously ill are, by and large, the type who get severly floored with other innocuous infections as they are really frail already.

If you are really old with severe COPD and a knackered heart, anything that affects your breathing only slightly is the tipping point.

I suspect this will be reflected in the excess mortality figures- even if there is an increase this year, then I suspect there will be a corresponding fall next year, as most of the deaths were somewhat expected either by the cold hand of Covid, or by something else

This should give an idication of just how much extra time we have bought people,

32 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

It is incredibly mild for most folks.

many people get not symptoms at all

The people who take seriously ill are, by and large, the type who get severly floored with other innocuous infections as they are really frail already.

If you are really old with severe COPD and a knackered heart, anything that affects your breathing only slightly is the tipping point.

I suspect this will be reflected in the excess mortality figures- even if there is an increase this year, then I suspect there will be a corresponding fall next year, as most of the deaths were somewhat expected either by the cold hand of Covid, or by something else

This should give an idication of just how much extra time we have bought people,

Just received a letter regarding my daughter who is 5 regarding the Childhood Immunisation Programme stating she is due for BST DTaP/IPV on 11/11/10.

Do you know if this is given via an injection? I hope not as she is terrified of jags.

56 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Hope he’s ok btw. 

DNA?

Your genes might well have a roll to play in all of this, of how someone gets ill and the person next to them doesn't, sort of thing.

Coronagenes is a research study being conducted by Edinburgh University into this very question of what roll your DNA could play in all of this.

Easy to sign up, all it involves is a DNA sample and an online questionaire (even better if you already have your DNA raw data file).

https://www.ed.ac.uk/roslin/news-events/latest-news/home-dna-test-data-sought-for-covid-19-study

https://www.ed.ac.uk/coronagenes

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

DNA?

Your genes might well have a roll to play in all of this, of how someone gets ill and the person next to them doesn't, sort of thing.

Coronagenes is a research study being conducted by Edinburgh University into this very question of what roll your DNA could play in all of this.

Easy to sign up, all it involves is a DNA sample and an online questionaire (even better if you already have your DNA raw data file).

https://www.ed.ac.uk/roslin/news-events/latest-news/home-dna-test-data-sought-for-covid-19-study

https://www.ed.ac.uk/coronagenes

Is this just for people who have tested positive jim?

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Just received a letter regarding my daughter who is 5 regarding the Childhood Immunisation Programme stating she is due for BST DTaP/IPV on 11/11/10.

Do you know if this is given via an injection? I hope not as she is terrified of jags.

If it’s a jag a new toy will do the trick.

jambos are go!

Over 3000 sent into care homes without testing. Over a hundred at least with a positive test. But the government say it was statistically insignificant despite  half of the cases being in care homes. However its not OK for you to visit your mother?

5 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'd be interested to hear your views on the mitigations in schools.

My understanding is that the kids are in an unventilated space for 6 hours a day with little physical distancing and no masks. (Note: in that report it says in 2 hours 50% of people in a classroom would be infected by patient zero)

Great for those asymptomatic kids but not great for mum and dad and their work colleagues and every other poor **** that gets on the end of this completely unchecked vector of transmission. 

They'll realise eventually that the iceberg has torn a huge hole in their Titanic. 

Agree with this big time, kids may not get the more severe part of it, but can still past it on to parents etc, and not every kid lives with parents. 

Some are with elderly members of the family. 

To put in a nutshell both Boris and Nicolas leadership during this has been pathetic. 

28 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If it’s a jag a new toy will do the trick.

I have my doubts. Gutted for her. It's the only thing she has a hang up about. And it's a big hang up. She's such a wee star I'm gutted for her.  :sad:

I urge all to take a watch at this and ask yourself what's really going on.

Edited by JamboSpur

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I have my doubts. Gutted for her. It's the only thing she has a hang up about. And it's a big hang up. She's such a wee star I'm gutted for her.  :sad:

That’s a shame.

If that’s how she is there’s nothing you can do about it.

Good luck to her.

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What’s he done?

He’s on the telly. He’s not done anything, he’s ust such a boring dweeb of a guy. 

Edited by GinRummy

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, GinRummy said:

He’s on the telly. He’s not done anything, he’s ust such a boring dweeb of a guy. 

Missed it.

So busy with my feather duster doing the housework.😭

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

To be fair he is talking rubbish, asked about why Aberdeen was in tier Two and not one and Lanarkshire in tier three not four and his explanation was they had been super cautious in all decision and if it was border line went with the higher level- ehhh no you didnae 

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

My old man knows him through work. Says that despite what a lot of folk think he's a lovely guy who works ridiculously hard. 

Heartsmad1874

Furlough ends tomorrow. Know a few folk from my old work going onto the new scheme just to make up new hours whilst the company sorts redundancies. Good luck to everyone in the same position.

12 minutes ago, steve123 said:

To be fair he is talking rubbish, asked about why Aberdeen was in tier Two and not one and Lanarkshire in tier three not four and his explanation was they had been super cautious in all decision and if it was border line went with the higher level- ehhh no you didnae 

Switched it off mate. He is so boring i couldn’t pay attention. 

14 minutes ago, steve123 said:

A decent journo would not accept that answer and pressed for the truth. Such a blatant lie it's embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My old man knows him through work. Says that despite what a lot of folk think he's a lovely guy who works ridiculously hard. 

He just comes across as such a boring guy. I’m sure opinions of people who know him are more important to him than some random on jkb though so fair do’s. 

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

FFS, That's two masks a day for outside school drop off when I'm not within 5m of anyone else!! I don't see how that is going to help.

It's probably not but the SG have run out of ideas and are winging it. They need to do something to justify killing the economy. Keeping the fear factor as high as possible buys them some time.

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

I don't think the journalists get to come back with a follow up to the question.

How very North Korea.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic