Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Captain Sausage
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Somewhere (probably lots of places),  people will be proudly touting the 'shield the vulnerable and open the pubs' theory,  while at the same time giving granny a Yuletide gift set of winter flu and covid.   Digital Xmas GTF.   They can always blame wee Krankie.

Eh? The entire point would be to shield granny from Covid and by association the flu. 

Bit of a misunderstanding of what said people are touting. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Worst hit regions at infection rates of about 1% and hospitals seeing greater demand.   But just open everything up but.   Geez peace.   :rofl:

I wish you would.

Weakened Offender
17 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You should stick to your wee snide one-liners abusing other posters mate. They only hint at your lack of intellect. Anything longer than two sentences removes all doubt.

We aren't mates. 😉

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

No need to call him Names mate

he does a great job 

Who would have guessed you'd be a dental surgeon's fanboi? :rofl:

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

New lockdown financial package to be announced this morning, hopefully more to be done to protect people who can't work and businesses that can't operate.

By more I mean a lot more 

Are you suggesting the Treasury have not spent enough so far? 

49 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

The 'shield the vulnerable/open the economy' theorists aren't remotely interested in the vulnerable. They're only interested in themselves. I can't wait for the pubs and football to open back up but in the meantime I am getting some amusement out of reading and listening to the howling pish they're coming out with as they sit freezing their bollocks off in some guffy beer garden in Fife or the Borders, reclaiming their liberty. Sad act weirdos. 😁

31 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

See if I get another ban for abusing posters because you identified yourself in what was a generic statement highlighting how moronic some people on this thread are, then I'll no' be ****ing happy like. 🙄

I think the problem with your 1st quote is that you don't seem to indicate the bit I've highlighted in bold on your 2nd quote at any point!

Going back to your 1st post though...I think branding everyone who chooses to go for a pint with a friend in a beer garden as a sad act weirdo is just a ridiculous statement to make.  Plenty sensible folk out there sticking to the guidelines but continue to support the hospitality industry and all its staff by visiting  these beer gardens.  A lot of money and effort has gone in to these venues at a time when they can least afford it in order for them to meet government guidelines, making their venues attractive and comfortable as possible for customers (heaters, canopies etc) and trying to bring in enough revenue to pay their staff to protect livelihoods. 

1 hour ago, JWL said:

It's crazy to think when you look at the infection rates for Greater Glasgow/Lanarkshire compared to Lothian, that they would even come close to being in the same tier. You know she will though, can't have Edinburgh hospitality open and Glasgow closed, no matter what the figures are telling us. It's not political though.

I reckon the blanket lockdown for the central belt in general could be more to do with how easy it is to move between the areas. Only last week plenty dafty old firm fans were on about hiring buses to go to cities and towns in England just to watch a game of football in a pub. Im sure if pubs were shut in livingston but open in Edinburgh some folk in West lothian wouldn't hesitate to make the 20min journey along the road for a pint. Thats my take on it anyway! Borders and Fife are still reachable but maybe not quite as easy to get to. With public transport running reduced timetables and these areas being that bit further away, its probably enough to put most folk off 

8 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Eh? The entire point would be to shield granny from Covid and by association the flu. 

Bit of a misunderstanding of what said people are touting. 

Not on here.  I'm saying there will be plenty who do take these views.   To blurt out the naive theory about shield & open up,  while at same time saying GTF to Sturgeon and visiting their elderly relatives at Christmas.  For a lot of people,  it's all about them and rules are things that other people follow.

Just now, Victorian said:

Not on here.  I'm saying there will be plenty who do take these views.   To blurt out the naive theory about shield & open up,  while at same time saying GTF to Sturgeon and visiting their elderly relatives at Christmas.  For a lot of people,  it's all about them and rules are things that other people follow.

Possibly. Or another theory could well be that, by Christmas, folk are fed up to their back teeth of hardly seeing (or not even seeing at all) their elderly relative for the past 9 months. What if Granny is 80 years old and says to her family, I might not be here next Christmas regardless of Covid so I want my family around me at that special time? Would you say GTF granny or GTF Sturgeon??

Captain Sausage
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Fair enough. Agree that’s lots of people clearly just don’t care about anything but themselves. 

I’d hesitate to label anyone who disagrees with the current policy of lockdown, open up, repeat as naive. The current policy is an absolute disaster (not limited to Scotland or the uk. The western response in general). There needs to be open discussion about what else we could do. 

2 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Possibly. Or another theory could well be that, by Christmas, folk are fed up to their back teeth of hardly seeing (or not even seeing at all) their elderly relative for the past 9 months. What if Granny is 80 years old and says to her family, I might not be here next Christmas regardless of Covid so I want my family around me at that special time? Would you say GTF granny or GTF Sturgeon??

What if one of the kids has Covid and wipes out the granny

4 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Granny would not be told to GTF but a way would need to be found to persuade granny that a normal Christmas visit would need to wait.   Granny would not be subjected to the risk of the horrible experience that comes with dying of covid.   It's not a peaceful way to shuttle off into the next life.

14 minutes ago, Barack said:

Self employed folk:

"Mr Sunak announces that he is increasing government contributions for the self-employed, with a doubling of income support from 20% to 40% of people's income. It increases the maximum grant to £3,750."

Does anyone know if this also applies to people working under limited company umbrella whose contracts come to an end?

I've had to go and pick up my son fro high school as a pupil in his class tested positive for the virus, that's now one third of his year off school and isolating.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I think for the sake of one Christmas, we can all just have a low key December 25.

In terms of the lockdown though, if it’s destroying your job or your livelihood, why should you support it? Why should you be willing to be told “bad news for you but you know what, the infection rates dropped a bit (until it doesn’t and we have to lock everything down again)”.

Bottom line - we’ve had seven months of disruption, closures, redundancies, deaths, businesses going bust. It’s achieved nowt, just as seven more months of this will achieve nowt 

7 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Fair enough. Agree that’s lots of people clearly just don’t care about anything but themselves. 

I’d hesitate to label anyone who disagrees with the current policy of lockdown, open up, repeat as naive. The current policy is an absolute disaster (not limited to Scotland or the uk. The western response in general). There needs to be open discussion about what else we could do. 

The governments need to explain in detail why certain theories are complete non-starters.   They've failed to recognise that people need things explained in specific details before they begin to buy into things.

Weakened Offender
17 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I think the problem with your 1st quote is that you don't seem to indicate the bit I've highlighted in bold on your 2nd quote at any point!

Going back to your 1st post though...I think branding everyone who chooses to go for a pint with a friend in a beer garden as a sad act weirdo is just a ridiculous statement to make.  Plenty sensible folk out there sticking to the guidelines but continue to support the hospitality industry and all its staff by visiting  these beer gardens.  A lot of money and effort has gone in to these venues at a time when they can least afford it in order for them to meet government guidelines, making their venues attractive and comfortable as possible for customers (heaters, canopies etc) and trying to bring in enough revenue to pay their staff to protect livelihoods. 

They're not sticking to any guidelines if they're travelling from an area where the pubs are shut to an area where the pubs are open.

And I don't think any of the above needs highlighted. 😉

11 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I'm just keen to see my parents. Sadly both my grannies died before this age of supposed/expected immortality ☹️

10 minutes ago, mutley said:

His point is that at 80 years, Granny will nearly be on borrowed time by next Christmas and she'd rather guarantee having at least one more as a family as even in a non-covid world there's a very high chance she won't be here for next year's one.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The governments need to explain in detail why certain theories are complete non-starters.   They've failed to recognise that people need things explained in specific details before they begin to buy into things.

Someone on Five Live yesterday (American I think) spoke very well about why herd immunity is so difficult to establish. Basically said a vaccine is the only credible solution.

I don’t deny the science. I just think we’ve reached the point where the effect of the economy might be more severe than the effect of covid 

1 hour ago, husref musemic said:

I wonder she'll do a Christmas Day special tartan covid show to tell us what she told us the day before ?

A Scottish replacement for the queen's speech if you like.

Ha, Xmas Day at 3pm on the BBC Scotland channel giving an address to the nations about her annus horribilis whilst bobbing her head furiously and wishing peace on earth to all men except Alex Salmond 

Governor Tarkin
18 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Imagine if we were? 😀

There's a reasonable probability, tbf.

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Someone on Five Live yesterday (American I think) spoke very well about why herd immunity is so difficult to establish. Basically said a vaccine is the only credible solution.

What was their explaination if you don't mind sharing it? Cheers

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I don’t deny the science. I just think we’ve reached the point where the effect of the economy might be more severe than the effect of covid 

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

A digital Christmas 😂😂

I see my family around 2 or 3 times a year. Christmas being one of those times. 

All families should stick 2 fingers up to any restrictions that Sturgeon tries to impose at Christmas. Families will make their own decisions about who they invite to their house on Christmas Day and take responsibility for their own safety. For the most vulnerable,  loneliness at that time of year may well outweigh any damage that Covid might do, in the unlikely event that they would even catch it from family members.  Individuals will decide their Christmas plans not a couple of power-mad clowns like Sturgeon and Leitch.

16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Granny would not be told to GTF but a way would need to be found to persuade granny that a normal Christmas visit would need to wait.   Granny would not be subjected to the risk of the horrible experience that comes with dying of covid.   It's not a peaceful way to shuttle off into the next life.

Surely granny should be able to make that decision for herself

from the BBC

A "slightly older age group" in Lanarkshire who breached Covid rules were partly behind the decision to restrict hospitality, according to Scotland's national clinical director.

Jason Leitch told BBC Scotland that this demographic had been a "challenge" in the area as some had been visiting other households.

The area has overtaken Glasgow as having the highest rate of Covid cases.

so they shutdown hospitality in the whole country, is that whats called "listening to the scientific information"

you find the route cause and cut it off at the root, outbreak in Aberdeen, it was locked down, travel restrictions put in place, cases dropped quickly

outbreak in Lanarkshire, go forth my children and propagate, spread the misery around the country, cases continue to rise, sharp increase in neighbouring west Lothian.

ban carryouts and actively stop house parties in Lanarkshire, restrict travelling and I'm sure the rates will all plummet

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What was their explaination if you don't mind sharing it? Cheers

Apologies is this isn’t strictly accurate (I’m going off memory).

He said that the first wave of Covid led to around 7% of the population contracting the virus - I believe he meant globally. Therefore, in order to get immunity up to even 60/70% you would have to go through an equivalent wave potentially 10 times which would either take years, cause an unacceptable number of deaths or both.

So it can be done but in reality, it’s an impractical solution. He felt a vaccine would be operational in the next few months or early next year - and waiting for that was the smart play.

He sounded like he knew what he was talking about. 

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

They need to explain their information in more detail.  I think it's a matter of scale.  The likely scale of hospitalisation is,  by a magnitude,  too great to deal with moving away from suppression.  Too many sick people at once.

People rightly say that household based infections is the main contributor.  But it's completely impractical to police,  enforce,  control.   It can't be done.   The only thing they can do is to control the areas that can be controlled.  Whether it's enough or not is open to question.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

All families should stick 2 fingers up to any restrictions that Sturgeon tries to impose at Christmas. Families will make their own decisions about who they invite to their house on Christmas Day and take responsibility for their own safety. For the most vulnerable,  loneliness at that time of year may well outweigh any damage that Covid might do, in the unlikely event that they would even catch it from family members.  Individuals will decide their Christmas plans not a couple of power-mad clowns like Sturgeon and Leitch.

It’s not your own safety though because if you have it or catch it, you then go back to work/the shops/whatever and spread it about

30 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I reckon the blanket lockdown for the central belt in general could be more to do with how easy it is to move between the areas. Only last week plenty dafty old firm fans were on about hiring buses to go to cities and towns in England just to watch a game of football in a pub. Im sure if pubs were shut in livingston but open in Edinburgh some folk in West lothian wouldn't hesitate to make the 20min journey along the road for a pint. Thats my take on it anyway! Borders and Fife are still reachable but maybe not quite as easy to get to. With public transport running reduced timetables and these areas being that bit further away, its probably enough to put most folk off 

B1421EA4-287B-4B4D-ADFC-C5588B8AA5A0.png

15 minutes ago, mutley said:

See highlighted bit below. Granny's choice....shes aware of the risks but feels its worth it to spend Christmas with her loved ones. She's at an age where she's lived and experienced a lot, grateful for what she's had and if she gets covid then so be it. At her age she thinks of every Christmas as her last just incase it is. How sad she would be if 2020 turns out to be her last because she dies in Summer of 21 with cancer or another short but fatal illness. Granny's  last ever Xmas day was spent eating a shite ready meal, watching pish TV all on her own rather than having a home cooked meal with maybe 1 or 2 of their grown up kids and their family. Unless your family is the Waltons, there's no reason why the party in the house would be anymore than 6-10 folk including young children. 

20 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

2 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Surely granny should be able to make that decision for herself

Depends on the granny.   Who could possibly sit back and allow granny to risk the sort of fate that covid is?   

27 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Good points . There was a good video doing the social media rounds last night of an interview with an 83 years old woman who was very eloquent and won’t be shielding and rather live her life as life isn’t risk free ! Good on her . Older people have been tested appallingly during this pandemic . Let’s ask them what they want and imprison them in the house or care homes . Many have deteriorated mentally as well as physically . I’ts heart breaking . 

Granny's choice.   She could also choose to start smoking 40 a day.  Or perhaps get on the heroin.  Maybe climb Ben Nevis in her goony and slippers?

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s not your own safety though because if you have it or catch it, you then go back to work/the shops/whatever and spread it about

Not if everyone is wearing masks and distancing it won't.  We obsess too much about what could happen rather than what is far more likely to happen. 99% of the population have managed to spend all year, going about their business etc and not catch Covid. We know where it spreads predominately and all resources should be directed towards those settings. 

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Depends on the granny.   Who could possibly sit back and allow granny to risk the sort of fate that covid is?   

If she’s of sound mind who are the government to dictate to her that she can’t spend her last Xmas with her family. 

18 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

They're not sticking to any guidelines if they're travelling from an area where the pubs are shut to an area where the pubs are open.

And I don't think any of the above needs highlighted. 😉

Thats true but your post never specifically mentioned folk who are breaking the rules by travelling from areas that are restricted to do so in order to visit beer gardens where outdoor drinking is permitted.  I read your last post as anyone who fancies a pint in a beer garden in the freezing cold is a weirdo. If you had mentioned you were talking about folk travelling from restricted areas you couldve saved me 5 mins of my time as I wouldn't have bothered quoting you 😉

6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Apologies is this isn’t strictly accurate (I’m going off memory).

He said that the first wave of Covid led to around 7% of the population contracting the virus - I believe he meant globally. Therefore, in order to get immunity up to even 60/70% you would have to go through an equivalent wave potentially 10 times which would either take years, cause an unacceptable number of deaths or both.

So it can be done but in reality, it’s an impractical solution. He felt a vaccine would be operational in the next few months or early next year - and waiting for that was the smart play.

He sounded like he knew what he was talking about. 

No need to apologise, appreciate you sharing. Interesting stuff, I'd have assumed much more than 7% of the world population would have caught it first time around. I guess there's large areas where it didn't really get a grip on. Fingers crossed he's correct and the vaccine is just a few months away and is successful. 

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Covid is not any sort of fate. 5 out of 6 over 80s survive Covid. Without any co-morbidities the risk declines further. Of course it can be dangerous as is the flu.115k die of respiratory illnesses each year in the UK. How do we normally protect granny on Christmas day?

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Covid is not any sort of fate. 5 out of 6 over 80s survive Covid. Without any co-morbidities the risk declines further. Of course it can be dangerous as is the flu.115k die of respiratory illnesses each year in the UK. How do we normally protect granny on Christmas day?

What a ridiculous,  complacent,  ignorant piece of nonsense.

11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yep !! The dentist is now getting it tight all over social media . There will be massive civil disobedience on Xmas day ! Good . The daily briefings are getting more pathetic each day with her “ condonlencrs” to those of family who have died . I notice the morbidly obese chief nursing officer is rattling on about it too just now on the briefing !!

an official bill from your stated address along with an I'D card with photo when giving details in hospitality should  be big enough diterent  to stop the majority from fleeing their covid ridden residence for a pishup

20 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm just keen to see my parents. Sadly both my grannies died before this age of supposed/expected immortality ☹️

I hear you and totally agree. I won't flout the rules generally and I'm avoiding pubs etc mainly because the experience isn't an enjoyable one for me in the current set up. Too much thinking and awareness involved to go for a beer these days😂 I will be seeing my parents on Xmas day and my wife and 2 kids will also be there regardless of what restrictions the government impose. Thats why I'm fairly certain there will be a relaxing of the rules for Xmas day at least because millions of people will be sharing it with their families regardless of what the government ask. Its the one day in the year where most of us can take a step back and still appreciate the non material things in life like friends and family. 

45 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Breaking the rules to travel all over the  country to get a drink is now lauded as supporting the hospitality

industry. 😂😂😂

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic