Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Robbofan99 said:

so around 125 mark then? still low out of pop of 500,000

Sorry, see my edited reply above. It was 230 over the whole Lothian NHS area (Edinburgh City and the 3 Lothians). I don't know what the specific Edinburgh City figure is, but it will be available soon.

Perhaps a better gauge as to the real threat would be to work on data that matches the time period covered by the infectious stage of the disease while taking into account the likelihood of infection and that the real figure could well be double the stated number due to untested folk, whether asymptomatic or not. The resulting stat would be "How many people in the area are likely to be currently infectious". I don't know if anyone is doing this.

Stats are stats though. They can give you a good idea of trends over time, or comparisons between different entities, but when it comes to analysing realities like "How much of a threat is the disease to me personally", they're not much use, imo. In this case, they average out data, ignoring realities like localised clusters and transmission vectors.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The Dumfries care home appears to be a charity enterprise.

Charnwood Lodge is proud to be part of Community Integrated Care, one of Britain’s largest social care charities, which was voted Charity of the Year 2019 at Charity Times Awards. 

Care home owners whether private, public or charity run have a resposibility to their residents. Charnwood lodge appears to be a charity and so is not part of government. What's the problem?

9 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Yep very low. Population more like 850k too. 

And yet we are placed in higher restrictions than tier 3 in England 

Edinburgh City has a population of about 520,000, West Lothian 180,000, East Lothian 110,000, and Midlothian 90,000.

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sorry, see my edited reply above. It was 230 over the whole Lothian NHS area (Edinburgh City and the 3 Lothians). I don't know what the specific Edinburgh City figure is, but it will be available soon.

Perhaps a better gauge as to the real threat would be to work on data that matches the time period covered by the infectious stage of the disease while taking into account the likelihood of infection and that the real figure could well be double the stated number due to untested folk, whether asymptomatic or not. The resulting stat would be "How many people in the area are likely to be currently infectious". I don't know if anyone is doing this.

Stats are stats though. They can give you a good idea of trends over time, or comparisons between different entities, but when it comes to analysing realities like "How much of a threat is the disease to me personally", they're not much use, imo. In this case, they average out data, ignoring realities like localised clusters and transmission vectors.

👍  and the strong likelihood many were students

25 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Umm name calling because you don’t like someone or agree with what they say is hardly common sense mate 

When you can prove that you have never ‘name-called’ anyone on here, your post above becomes a valid one.

Until that Eureka moment, your bum is out the window.

Mate.

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

None of this should be news to anyone, doug, and I agree that it's disgusting, but my point stands.

Covid positive patients were sent back from the hospitals to their care homes where staff spread the virus between their charges due to a lack of PPE. This is from the horses mouth.

We can't pick and choose govenrment successes and government failures to suit our own narratives.

If this happened and i don't really doubt that it did, then this is a decision that would appear to have been taken by a clinician. Now i do know that hospitals were under pressure to free up beds but if what you describe was widespread and actual policy then the politicians and those who advise them should be sorted. They will most likely be covering each other's backs but if the promised enquiry is of any value this will be one of the biggest issues it faces IMO.

If this was a political decision then it was a decision where a known consequence would have been the death of many care home residents. It would be a horrible irony if current policy is a reaction to that previous failed policy. If you don't have the PPE and there is none available there is nothing you can do (screwfix apart) but knowingly discharging infected patients back into care homes is not a decision that could be taken lightly if at all. If nothing else it will be interesting to see what decisions were made and who made and implemented them. I wonder what role our former CMO played.

Shanks said no
1 minute ago, graygo said:

Trouble in parliament as a front bencher calls a back bencher scum. 😁

30 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Umm name calling because you don’t like someone or agree with what they say is hardly common sense mate 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Trouble in parliament as a front bencher calls a back bencher scum. 😁

Ummm..  please don’t quote a name-caller.  😳

Governor Tarkin
37 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

:rofl:

Shanks said no
31 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Care home owners whether private, public or charity run have a resposibility to their residents. Charnwood lodge appears to be a charity and so is not part of government. What's the problem?

I completely agree that anyone running a Care Home has a duty of care to its residents.

My reply was in response to your post where you highlighted the private sector were out to maximise their profits, which I agree they often are.

All I was pointing out was that the Dumfries CH was a charity and profit may not have been the primary cause for their outbreak.

13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

When you can prove that you have never ‘name-called’ anyone on here, your post above becomes a valid one.

Until that Eureka moment, your bum is out the window.

Mate.

Give me an example of when I called someone who is acting sensibly and responsibly a name 

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Give me an example of when I called someone who is acting sensibly and responsibly a name 

So name calling is allowed then? 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Yes. But most don't. Time folk looked after their parents. 

I agree with this.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

My analogy is that the SG are like a plumber stood in your lounge with water pishing through the ceiling from upstairs and him telling you he can't understand why as he's turned all the downstairs taps off. 

:lol:

Nice.

26 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I completely agree that anyone running a Care Home has a duty of care to its residents.

My reply was in response to your post where you highlighted the private sector were out to maximise their profits, which I agree they often are.

All I was pointing out was that the Dumfries CH was a charity and profit may not have been the primary cause for their outbreak.

Fair enough. I missed the point.

Governor Tarkin
36 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

If this happened and i don't really doubt that it did, then this is a decision that would appear to have been taken by a clinician. Now i do know that hospitals were under pressure to free up beds but if what you describe was widespread and actual policy then the politicians and those who advise them should be sorted. They will most likely be covering each other's backs but if the promised enquiry is of any value this will be one of the biggest issues it faces IMO.

If this was a political decision then it was a decision where a known consequence would have been the death of many care home residents. It would be a horrible irony if current policy is a reaction to that previous failed policy. If you don't have the PPE and there is none available there is nothing you can do (screwfix apart) but knowingly discharging infected patients back into care homes is not a decision that could be taken lightly if at all. If nothing else it will be interesting to see what decisions were made and who made and implemented them. I wonder what role our former CMO played.

👍

There'll be a good few who will be dreading the enquiry once the dust settles, doug.

I think we may see a slew of prominent decicion makers and high profile figures falling on their swords before they are exposed to full public scrutiny - possibly even the FM. I don't know if that is what you were alluding to the other day. Very few will come out of this unblemished, despite their best intentions.

Heartsmad1874
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Approaching the point in Belgium where doctors will decide who gets treatment and who dies without the help they need.  Lombardy all over again.

That wouldn't be the same Belgium where fans of one of their teams (Club Brugge) could travel to Russia for a Champions League game last night would it? Yet here in the UK there is no sign of fan trials in the near future.

Heartsmad1874
4 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes his husband was up to scratch with precautions as soon as he gets home strips off put his work clothes right in the washing machine etc 

When i had a job as a Covid tester the guidance was mental.

- Someone has to open the door for you.

- Take your clothes off right away and get someone else to open the washing machine for you and you throw your clothes in.

- Shower.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

Konrad von Carstein
2 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Is there a more arrogant patronising prick on the TV than Jason Leitch?

Michael Gove? Jason Van Tam? De Pfeffel? Patel? Hell, any Tory front bencher.

Heartsmad1874
3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Pneumonia affects 450 million worldwide each year. Reading out Covid only statistics each day has lulled people into thinking that deaths did not occur before Covid came along. 115k people die of respiratory illnesses each year in the UK and I'm sure would shock people if daily stats were read out.

I'd personally like to see governments giving out  stats each day on other things aswell such as loss of businesses, jobs etc etc.

30 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Just a note that the 28 deaths today came from:

Greater Glasgow 12, Ayrshire & Arran 6, Lanarkshire 5, Lothian 2, Tayside 1, Highland 1, Dumfries & Galloway 1.

Information available from https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/local.

They really do need to get a hold on Greater Glasgow & Lanarkshire.

I think I read somewhere the tier systems will be set on Councils rather than Health boards so will be interesting what comes out.

manaliveits105
7 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Is there a more arrogant patronising prick on the TV than Jason Leitch?

Fat Hibby ******* Blackford

Heartsmad1874
2 hours ago, Gone said:

Do you play music in pubs? Grim times at the moment.

Think I'd be more angry if we followed BJ's idea of only opening Wetherspoons pubs though 

Can't have music in my store at the moment incase someone starts singing whilst having a coffee in the cafe :( 

3 minutes ago, steve123 said:

They really do need to get a hold on Greater Glasgow & Lanarkshire.

I think I read somewhere the tier systems will be set on Councils rather than Health boards so will be interesting what comes out.

Yes they do. Add Ayrshire into the mix as well, possibly.

I would probably welcome a tier system based on councils - the more focussed, the better. That system would kind of ignore inter-council movements due to such reasons as work though, and they may decide therefore to go for boards in areas where there is a lot of such movement e.g. Greater Glasgow and urban commuting populations in general. On the other hand, they locked down Aberdeen without also locking down Aberdeenshire, so anything's possible.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Not so sure. He looked quite excited about the opening up of soft play. Probably been missing his favourite chute or ball pit. Like an uglier version of Aiden McGeady.

He’s another one that is lapping the limelight up I’m certain of it. 

20 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Tell me how having one pint of beer or one glass of wine with a meal is going to encourage people to break the rules.

What’s the point in having one drink just have none. 

39 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Can't have music in my store at the moment incase someone starts singing whilst having a coffee in the cafe :( 

I meant pre corona

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

What's the point in doing anything you enjoy? 

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100111 01101111 01101111 01100100

Disgusted at myslf for not having to look this up :(

Heartsmad1874
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Another posted mentioned similar the other day. There is nothing to enjoy anymore. It's just work, sleep, work no restbite by going to pub, football, restaurants, cinemas etc etc. 

Even with Christmas coming up looks like that's gonna be shite anaw. 

1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Another posted mentioned similar the other day. There is nothing to enjoy anymore. It's just work, sleep, work no restbite by going to pub, football, restaurants, cinemas etc etc. 

Yep we aren’t living merely existing. 

Can’t go to pubs ,

restaurants , football. Can’t see friends or family. Can’t start relationships etc etc etc. 

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Cinema's still open. Went to the Filmhouse recently. 

Reckon there'll be some speakeasies set up soon enough if Tricky Nicky McPricky continues her puritanical purge of the purveyors of sin juice. I had a former colleague who set up a bar in Pyongyang. Although he had to deal with a government slightly more liberal regime than Sturgeon's, I'm sure he will have some advice to pass on in this regard.

**** all to see in the Cinemas though. They keep pushing the good films back to next year, hence why Cineworld have shut their doors.

Just not enjoyable.

4 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

**** all to see in the Cinemas though. They keep pushing the good films back to next year, hence why Cineworld have shut their doors.

Just not enjoyable.

Reckon they should've stayed open and showed old classics and/or christmas films. Must be a market for that somewhere

24 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

This is just shocking

Sensationalised headlines aside, there's nothing to suggest that 'travel restrictions' are the reason for these deaths, recently infants needing treatment of this kind have been flown to Sydney instead of Melbourne since this hospital doesn't have and has never had the required cardiac facilities. Doesn't matter now of course since the headline is out there and that's what people will believe. 

37 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Maybe if you had stuck to one, then maybe you wouldn't have felt annoyed at yourself for letting your guard down. :laugh:

22 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

👏 some sense. I myself have let my guard down a few times due to beers. Annoyed with myself when I sober up. Best thing is don’t go to the pub. It’s too easy to get smashed and forget to follow the rules. 

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Heartsmad1874
2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Sensationalised headlines aside, there's nothing to suggest that 'travel restrictions' are the reason for these deaths, recently infants needing treatment of this kind have been flown to Sydney instead of Melbourne since this hospital doesn't have and has never had the required cardiac facilities. Doesn't matter now of course since the headline is out there and that's what people will believe. 

The headline is very obvious here 'They couldn't be transferred interstate due to travel restrictions' and there wasn't any equipment in Adelaide to perform the surgery they sadly died.

How is that sensationalised?

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Maybe if you had stuck to one, then maybe you wouldn't have felt annoyed at yourself for letting your guard down. :laugh:

:jj:

Edit. One drink isn't too bad tbh. Here's me collecting my takeaway beer from the Diggers.

473c9c2bc953d860c6ae75cc88bc5d31.jpg

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Weakened Offender
39 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

I miss restbite. 😕

45 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Disgusted at myslf for not having to look this up :(

Splitting hairs and acting the goat ain’t going  to help. Government has clearly closed pubs due to the potential spread in indoor environments. Alcohol lowers people’s inhibitions and dulls their senses making it more of a risk area. To say you can have one pint with a meal could be compared to children given an inch and taking a mile. If the government said you could have one pint you’d ask for two. They’d never win. 

Edited by spirt of 98

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, spirt of 98 said:

Splitting hairs and acting the goat ain’t going  to help. Government has clearly closed pubs due to the potential spread in indoor environments. Alcohol lowers people’s inhibitions and dulls their senses making it more of a risk area. To say you can have one pint with a meal could be compared to children given an inch and taking a mile. If the government said you could have one pint you’d ask for two. They’d never win. 

Meanwhile heres the police in Liverpool making sure people are having a pie with their pint :lol: 

Seymour M Hersh
49 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Cinema's still open. Went to the Filmhouse recently. 

Reckon there'll be some speakeasies set up soon enough if Tricky Nicky McPricky continues her puritanical purge of the purveyors of sin juice. I had a former colleague who set up a bar in Pyongyang. Although he had to deal with a government slightly more liberal than Sturgeon's regime of fear and terror, I'm sure he will have some advice to pass on in this regard.

Panda & son in Queen St half way there. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Highest number of daily deaths in months. 

Hands up if you think Nicola is still doing a good job. 

Edited by Fun Boaby

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

👍

There'll be a good few who will be dreading the enquiry once the dust settles, doug.

I think we may see a slew of prominent decicion makers and high profile figures falling on their swords before they are exposed to full public scrutiny - possibly even the FM. I don't know if that is what you were alluding to the other day. Very few will come out of this unblemished, despite their best intentions.

One of my favourite sayings is " The road to hell is paved with good intentions" 

Heartsmad1874
Just now, Fun Boaby said:

Highest number of daily deaths in months. 

Hands up if you think Nicola is still king a good job. 

Four different strategies in just a few weeks? She's doing a great job :thumbsup: 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic