Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

11 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I'd be very surprised if you are able to provide any sources for these figures.

All quoted in the press today. The 50% infection rate figure came from research based on 222 patients in elderly wards in Glasgow in March/April.  The study was led by the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.  Also published in the Scottish Medical Journal.

To be honest, you should reserve your scepticism for the govt and scientific modellers. I've yet to see any evidence to back up their assertions and decision making.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, that appears to be what is happening. But surely the way out is to improve testing, temperature checks etc on everyone who enters those homes/wards. To be fair, the 15 minute "pregnancy " tests that England are rolling out next week will, hopefully,  be a game changer.

Are we not routinely testing those who work in the care sector? Are visitors to care homes not severely restricted in the way you suggest the vulnerable should be? How does this stop transmission from those who are asymptomatic? Do you have any evidence to show how  much infection is brought into care homes and hospitals?

Just now, coconut doug said:

Are we not routinely testing those who work in the care sector? Are visitors to care homes not severely restricted in the way you suggest the vulnerable should be? How does this stop transmission from those who are asymptomatic? Do you have any evidence to show how  much infection is brought into care homes and hospitals?

Just the fact that most  of the deaths that are reported now in Scotland have come from care homes, hospital outbreaks. 

46 minutes ago, flogel41 said:

I’m not big on conspiracy theories, not least as no one in power seems competent enough to manage one, but I do wonder if letting the universities back has anything to do with starting the ‘herd immunity’ ball rolling in the low risk population. Also gives them a load of youngsters to test again in 6 months to see if they retain any immunity. I have no evidence to back this up it just seemed such a stupid decision to open up the universities I sort of hope there was a good reason rather than just government stupidity!

Only been 3 recorded cases of re infections of 30 million people 

manaliveits105
50 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Morgan is a bit of a tosser but this must be questioned at any enquiry...

image.png

image.png

Morgan is an absolute see you next Tuesday who should still be in prison for his part in phone hacking - he is in huff cos government won’t send anyone to be insulted by him or pea brain Reid 

his views on anything don’t count 

20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

All quoted in the press today. The 50% infection rate figure came from research based on 222 patients in elderly wards in Glasgow in March/April.  The study was led by the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.  Also published in the Scottish Medical Journal.

To be honest, you should reserve your scepticism for the govt and scientific modellers. I've yet to see any evidence to back up their assertions and decision making.

I can't find it. Do you have a link?

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Morgan is an absolute see you next Tuesday who should still be in prison for his part in phone hacking - he is in huff cos government won’t send anyone to be insulted by him or pea brain Reid 

Totally. His vendetta against the UK government is laughable. He's spat the dummy out big style :lol:

Nucky Thompson

Meanwhile, 8 miles over the Scottish border I've went to a sports bar and then an early session, 5pm-7.30pm in the show bar with a live band playing.

That's still with tier2 restrictions.

Scotland is shit, but we voted for those muppets 

Konrad von Carstein
8 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

When ministers are lying or being economical with the truth they need to be pulled up....Morgan is doing this....that view does count (imo) agree with the rest of your response (unusually for me)

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Totally. His vendetta against the UK government is laughable. He's spat the dummy out big style :lol:

As you probably know his "vendetta" is due to the UK government refusing to send representatives onto GMB, which is in itself a cowardly act by them, again imo...

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

When ministers are lying or being economical with the truth they need to be pulled up....Morgan is doing this....that view does count (imo) agree with the rest of your response (unusually for me)

As you probably know his "vendetta" is due to the UK government refusing to send representatives onto GMB, which is in itself a cowardly act by them, again imo...

Yup, I know they are bumping GMB and going on BBC Breakfast instead.

It makes it more funny that Morgan is boiling 

manaliveits105

You can bet your bottom dollar that the ersehole will have Andy Burnham on GMB on Monday for help in government baiting followed by a child who has raised money for charity who he can patronise like he did with Captain Tom 
Hopefully his card is well and truly marked going forward and he will disappear from our screens (or disappear Putin style would do)

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Only been 3 recorded cases of re infections of 30 million people 

Yet each of those 3 in 30 million has been world wide news and headlines in every news outlet. Multiplied by millions of internet messages and posts.

Meanwhile people die or have their lives ruined because of neglect by or fear of doctors and hospitals.

With scarcely s headline in  sight

Edited by Francis Albert

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Meanwhile, 8 miles over the Scottish border I've went to a sports bar and then an early session, 5pm-7.30pm in the show bar with a live band playing.

I'm going to guess your in either Berwick holiday park (not sure thats 8 miles over the border though) or someplace in Cumbria.........I'm just amusing myself in isolation, never been so bored in all my life.

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I'm going to guess your in either Berwick holiday park (not sure thats 8 miles over the border though) or someplace in Cumbria.........I'm just amusing myself in isolation, never been so bored in all my life.

Haggerston Castle. The whole park is playing by the rules.

I love the new restrictions. It used to be a free for all to get into the entertainment, now you book a slot and get a table number.

You order drinks from an app and they're delivered to your table

Doctor FinnBarr
32 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I love the new restrictions. It used to be a free for all to get into the entertainment, now you book a slot and get a table number.

Bloody forgot about Haggerston, sorry.

Weakened Offender
41 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

My pal caught crabs in Haggerston Castle in the 80s.

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that it could well be the case that a large proportion of the population need to be vaccinated in order for any vaccine to be effective.

Fair enough.  

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Just the fact that most  of the deaths that are reported now in Scotland have come from care homes, hospital outbreaks. 

If you don't have any evidence then once again your point is at best conjecture.

What makes you think you can rubbish the work of experts and accuse governments of making up figures whilst simultaneously posting comments that you cannot substantiate?

3 hours ago, coconut doug said:

I can't find it. Do you have a link?

No I don't. Not really sure why you're looking for it anyway. You don't really find these findings surprising do you?? Where did you think elderly, vulnerable people were picking up the virus? In a pub or a coffee shop?? Do you seriously think I would post such detailed info that didn't exist.?? Study was led by Dr Peter Davis at QEU Hospital. A bit of digging, I'm sure you'll find it.

3 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

If you don't have any evidence then once again your point is at best conjecture.

What makes you think you can rubbish the work of experts and accuse governments of making up figures whilst simultaneously posting comments that you cannot substantiate?

You'll find it in the Scottish Daily Mail . I can't find a link. If you're only relying on info from the BBC and SAGE then you'll hear only what they want you to hear. 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You'll find it in the Scottish Daily Mail . I can't find a link. If you're only relying on info from the BBC and SAGE then you'll hear only what they want you to hear. 

Reads the Mail and has the audacity to accuse folk of cognitive bias. 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No I don't. Not really sure why you're looking for it anyway. You don't really find these findings surprising do you?? Where did you think elderly, vulnerable people were picking up the virus? In a pub or a coffee shop?? Do you seriously think I would post such detailed info that didn't exist.?? Study was led by Dr Peter Davis at QEU Hospital. A bit of digging, I'm sure you'll find it.

With all due respect, Enzo, if anyone posts "data" on here then it is probably incumbent on them to provide a link to the origin of that data if requested, not on others to do so. That keeps things on the level.

Captain Sausage

Been told we are relocating to China with work early next year. Been reading up on the quarantine rules...14 days in a government hotel with no time allowed outside your room. 

We’ve got 2 young kids (baby and 3) and it’s written that me and my wife will be separated so the kids will be too. If any of us comes down with a temperature above 37.2, it’s off to hospital. If it happens to be either kid, we cannot go with them. So it’d be 2 weeks in a facility where no English is spoken. 

In the current environment I’m not really in a position to say no. But this looks fairly difficult. 

There seems to be two contradictory themes going on in this thread. 
1. It’s an outrage that people can’t live their normal lives, grandparents can’t see, hug their grandchildren etc

2. Old/vulnerable people should stay in isolation so the rest of us can carry on as normal.

26 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s being reported that police could be given access test and trace data to enable enforcement of isolation. 

I think this measure will actually backfire. Think people will be more reluctant to get tested. Whilst use of the app will likely diminish. 

People have a lot of concern about removal of freedoms. This will do nothing to address those concerns

Could it be that test and trace isn’t really working very well so effectively discouraging people from using it means they can blame the public rather than the system? Maybe just my suspicious mind but it seems almost idiotic to say police will have access when they must know it’ll put folk off using it. 

Governor Tarkin
12 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Good stuff. It'll be Fife for us this afternoon. There'll be no live band but The Orangemen of Ulster are on Spotify these days so we'll have to make do with the bluetooth speaker.

12 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

(or disappear Putin style would do)

:jj:

10 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

You could at least have warned him. :(

So, a government encourages the population to put a tracker on their phones, then shares this info with law enforcement ?

That should lead to everyone deleting the app, frankly.

Its all out of control.

Really shows why Scotland needs an “upper house” to scrutinise what the sitting govt are doing, because this erosion of democracy and freedom is accelerating at pace

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

So, a government encourages the population to put a tracker on their phones, then shares this info with law enforcement ?

Its all out of control.

Really shows why Scotland needs an “upper house” to scrutinise what the sitting govt are doing, because this erosion of democracy and freedom is accelerating at pace

An upper house like the unelected House of Lords?

Great idea.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I heard a theory yesterday, that we’ll be in this situation to around the middle of next year. There was actually a fair bit behind the theory but essentially it’s that historically pandemics we see last 18months. 

Also being reported in times that a vaccine could be here by Christmas, with a view to roll out next year. The govt has recently changed the rules around who can provide a innocolatiom. 

The Times article was a little bit confusing, probably because it seemed to be based on leaks from a MP briefing with Van-Tam. The vaccine has been found to prevent shedding of virus in ‘young’. Now the article states it will only be given to the elderly and vulnerable. 

I do wonder how a vaccines will work on different demographic than it’s been tested on. I assume to be permitted to partake in a vaccine trial you need to be fit and healthy etc. What happens when you stick vaccine in a bunch of 70+ years old and people with underlying condition. No doubt better brains than me on the situation 

https://bepartofresearch.nihr.ac.uk/vaccine-studies/

Can I take part in research if I have a pre-existing condition?

Yes, please sign up to register your interest. Researchers will be looking for lots of different people to take part in their studies to make sure it works for everyone. Some studies may be looking specifically for people with an existing condition or a suppressed immune system, and people of all ages, as they may respond differently to a vaccine.

Registering with this service will enable researchers to contact you. When they do, they will discuss any pre-existing medical conditions you may have with you. You may also want to speak to your own health professional for further advice.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Great idea.

An elected upper house as far removed from party politics as is possible.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

https://bepartofresearch.nihr.ac.uk/vaccine-studies/

Can I take part in research if I have a pre-existing condition?

Yes, please sign up to register your interest. Researchers will be looking for lots of different people to take part in their studies to make sure it works for everyone. Some studies may be looking specifically for people with an existing condition or a suppressed immune system, and people of all ages, as they may respond differently to a vaccine.

Registering with this service will enable researchers to contact you. When they do, they will discuss any pre-existing medical conditions you may have with you. You may also want to speak to your own health professional for further advice.

Does internet slaver count as a pre-existing condition?

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Does internet slaver count as a pre-existing condition?

I'd think in the interests of fairness & equality all conditions should be considered.

22 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Its all out of control.

Edit.  Sorry 

The press just now are reporting about NHS (England) sharing data with police.

I'm trying to find out NHS Scotland - SG position.  I don't recall

a ) that it was agreed data was being shared or if it was

b ) a huge amount of uproar about it.

Details will eventually be shared with PS if tracers can't get in contact with people arriving in Scotland from high risk countries and quaranteening required. 

Edited by DETTY29

10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Great idea.

Didn’t say that did I?

At present we have one individual deciding everything without scrutiny or challenge.

Its pretty unhealthy.

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That would be ideal.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Didn’t say that did I?

At present we have one individual deciding everything without scrutiny or challenge.

Its pretty unhealthy.

You did imply it.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s being reported that police could be given access test and trace data to enable enforcement of isolation. 

I think this measure will actually backfire. Think people will be more reluctant to get tested. Whilst use of the app will likely diminish. 

People have a lot of concern about removal of freedoms. This will do nothing to address those concerns

37 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Its all out of control.

The press just now are reporting about NHS (England) potentially sharing data with police.

I'm trying to find out NHS Scotland - SG position.  I don't recall

a ) that it was agreed data was being shared or if it was

b ) a huge amount of uproar about it.

Details however,will eventually be shared with PS if tracers can't get in contact with people arriving in Scotland from high risk countries and quaranteening required.

Of course if we don't in Scotland that's not to say it isn't coming especially if far larger England, WM,Cummings go that far, SG, Sturgeon won't follow suit.

Edited by DETTY29

51 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Its all out of control.

Do we know what sort of saturation the app has on the populace?

I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't have it anyway due to concerns about how the data would be used. Despite people professing otherwise, it's turned out that they can, and will, share the data. 

Edited by Taffin

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Do we know what sort of saturation the app has on the populace?

I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't have it anyway due to concerns about how the data would be used. Despite people professing otherwise, it's turned out that they can, and will, share the data. 

Don’t know, I intrinsically distrust tech, anything that can be hacked or used to trace me, record me or film me.

I also get the fear anytime anyone does anything “ for my own good “ or to “keep me safe”

Usually means treating me like a baby, and imposing something I don’t want.

Now we might have the NHS app passing your movement and details of an illness you have to the police?

So we will have people monitoring where you are via the app, and if your phone leaves the house the police come for you?

Would be tempting to strap my phone to a drone   And  fly it up a mountain just for giggles

I think there is a partially legitimate purpose to the police having access to this data.  Perhaps mostly in terms of an increased deterrent.  Perhaps in terms of the information being available to check in conjunction with specific police intelligence about people refusing to comply.   

Masks are a bit subjective.  Breaking the rules on distancing less so but not as serious a breach as some other things.  Refusing to isolate whilst confirmed as positive is about as rancid as it gets.  Refusing to isolate as a contact is potentially serious as well.

I would say that this data should be available in certain circumstances.  No doubt I'll be accused of choking for a full bash,  totalitarian,  police surveillance state.   

Nucky Thompson
12 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

That doesn't surprise me with the amount of fat, tattooed slags that have been coming here since back then.

Haggerston seems to be the holiday choice for Niddrians and whatever the chav equivalent in Newcastle is

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Didn’t say that did I?

Its pretty unhealthy.

The police in England are getting access to personal data and you use this to have yet another go at the SG. You are beyond parody

Weakened Offender
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

That doesn't surprise me with the amount of fat, tattooed slags that have been coming here since back then.

Haggerston seems to be the holiday choice for Niddrians and whatever the chav equivalent in Newcastle is

😁

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Good luck with that. 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Right chaps, recommendations for child friendly beer garden over the Forth, please. Ta. 👍

Louie Brown's. 

6 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The police in England are getting access to personal data and you use this to have yet another go at the SG. You are beyond parody

A total slaver.   He also stated with certainty that there were no vaccines coming along.   They'll be starting the roll-out for priority groups in a couple of months.   Maybe he doesn't get sent the right medical journals.  ;)

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic