Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Per-NHS board case breakdown (per-100,000):

Lanarkshire 52, Greater Glasgow 37, Ayrshire & Arran 28, Forth Valley 13, Lothian 13, Western Isles 11.

All the rest: less than 10.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Before you all start blaming the West and getting ready for going to the pub again, 5 of the new deaths were in Lothian.

I can see us heading for more national restrictions before there are any getting relaxed - just what I think will happen, not what I want to happen.

Probably all in care homes too. It would be really useful for both govts to actually split death figures between existing hospital patients/care homes and the community. Numerous hospital wards and care homes have been the sources of transmission and, I suspect, the vast majority of deaths are coming from those settings.  They won't announce those figures because they seem to prefer having a population paralysed with fear, rather than bring a large dose of perspective to dealing with a virus that is not nearly as deadly as was first thought. 

Back in March/April 50% of over 65s that caught the virus, were infected in hospital.  We now know that the virus has a death rate of less than 0.5% and even among those in their nineties, 6 out of 7 who catch it, survive. Time for govts to ratchet down on the scaremongering,  allow the population to go about their business and target the resources in the settings that house the most vulnerable. 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Lanarkshire 52, Greater Glasgow 37, Ayrshire & Arran 28, Forth Valley 13, Lothian 13, Western Isles 11.

13 cases a day... Surely lockdown is lifted in a week

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, Gone said:

its 13 cases per 100k, so probably about 100 cases in Lothian

4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

You can get the death locations on the travelling tabby site. One problem for Governments is that when the virus is not infecting in large numbers in the community then their aren’t deaths and infections in hospitals or care homes, as you are describing, however as ‘cases’ go up at large among the healthy population then eventually people in care homes and hospitals catch it and start dying. 

Yes, that appears to be what is happening. But surely the way out is to improve testing, temperature checks etc on everyone who enters those homes/wards. To be fair, the 15 minute "pregnancy " tests that England are rolling out next week will, hopefully,  be a game changer.

49 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Probably all in care homes too. It would be really useful for both govts to actually split death figures between existing hospital patients/care homes and the community. Numerous hospital wards and care homes have been the sources of transmission and, I suspect, the vast majority of deaths are coming from those settings.  They won't announce those figures because they seem to prefer having a population paralysed with fear, rather than bring a large dose of perspective to dealing with a virus that is not nearly as deadly as was first thought. 

Back in March/April 50% of over 65s that caught the virus, were infected in hospital.  We now know that the virus has a death rate of less than 0.5% and even among those in their nineties, 6 out of 7 who catch it, survive. Time for govts to ratchet down on the scaremongering,  allow the population to go about their business and target the resources in the settings that house the most vulnerable. 

Sounds about right ! Just read an article and there were 4 deaths in West Lothian care home yesterday 

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

Before you all start blaming the West and getting ready for going to the pub again, 5 of the new deaths were in Lothian.

I can see us heading for more national restrictions before there are any getting relaxed - just what I think will happen, not what I want to happen.

Deaths will surely be as a result of someone being infected weeks ago, bit late to be using that as a reason for lockdown.

17 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Sounds about right ! Just read an article and there were 4 deaths in West Lothian care home yesterday 

I assume Red Mill care home in Whitburn, where it infected just about everyone connected with it.

An isolated event which distorts figures. Very sad case that shouldn't be happening.

Edit:

I was correct, another 4 on top of 7 last week.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18802389.redmill-care-home-four-covid-deaths-take-single-homes-total-11/

Edited by Tommy Brown

Governor Tarkin
51 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

100 out of a population of 900 thousand is still a pretty low number tbf.

Governor Tarkin
59 minutes ago, Gone said:

No danger. 

Lothian and Forth Valley will be tied to the Weeg 'till the end.

Can't have west-coast pint-tourists jumping through here and spreading their love.

I expect the lockdown to last till March.  You might fer a few days off at Christmas if Nicola wants to throw the peasants a bone. 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

I expect the lockdown to last till March.  You might fer a few days off at Christmas if Nicola wants to throw the peasants a bone. 

There'll be some sort of vaccine rushed through for the oldies and most vulnerable by the end of the year I reckon, but the rest of us will need to wait until spring at the earliest before we get our shot in the arm and start to see the series of lockdowns and restrictions thinning out.

28 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

100 cases in my old local. Fecking 100. Scandalous. 

Edited by ri Alban

12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

There'll be some sort of vaccine rushed through for the oldies and most vulnerable by the end of the year I reckon, but the rest of us will need to wait until spring at the earliest before we get our shot in the arm and start to see the series of lockdowns and restrictions thinning out.

Don't see any need to vaccinate young and healthy people in any case. 

15 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I though this was being done to protect the old and vulnerable? If they get a vaccine then surely to **** restrictions can be lifted as the young and healthy aren’t at risk of dying. 

1 hour ago, Gone said:

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Yup. 114 cases. Still much better than before though.

The 7-day per-100,000 stats for the district councils are currently:

South Lanarkshire 343

North Lanarkshire 309

Glasgow City 290

Renfrewshire 248

East Ayrshire 231

West Dunbartonshire 222

East Dunbartonshire 200

East Renfrewshire 171

Dundee City 169

West Lothian 169

North Ayrshire 160

Clackmannanshire 146

South Ayrshire 144

Edinburgh City 131

Midlothian 70

East Lothian 64

etc. etc.

so there is definite clear air between Lothian and the west. Not that there should be regional "rivalry" in any way, but if these stats continue, there is a strong argument for an easing of restrictions in Lothian.

For anyone interested in these stats, go to https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/local, select the detailed tab for "Breakdown by Council Area" and then order on "Per 100k Pop" to the right of "Past 7 Days".

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

👍

9 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Because of course young and healthy people can't spread the virus.

:jj_facepalm:

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

These are the current 7 day figures....

SmartSelect_20201017-175551_Chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Well they can but theoretically if the old and vulnerable are vaccinated then they aren’t at risk. Covid isn’t a danger to younger people. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

I assume Red Mill care home in Whitburn, where it infected just about everyone connected with it.

An isolated event which distorts figures. Very sad case that shouldn't be happening.

Edit:

I was correct, another 4 on top of 7 last week.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18802389.redmill-care-home-four-covid-deaths-take-single-homes-total-11/

Yes its disappointing that this info is almost hidden.  I wonder why?

36 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I though this was being done to protect the old and vulnerable? If they get a vaccine then surely to **** restrictions can be lifted as the young and healthy aren’t at risk of dying. 

Got to protect the youngsters from the symptoms; feeling tip top and 100%. 

53 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

In the arm you say.............you sure about that!

image.thumb.jpeg.bb837819b9d9b2f35caa77549857b461.jpeg

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

But if they don't do anything 100 would soon become 300 then 300 to 900 and so on.Or something like that is how infections work is it not ?

I'm not advocated or going against what they are doing is right cause to be honest I don't know how they deal with things at all that helps everyone.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Got to protect the youngsters from the symptoms; feeling tip top and 100%. 

Yeah older and vulnerable cant have it both ways if there a vaccine for them in the next few months . Surely it means that restrictions would be lifted.

36 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It doesn't spread itself. Older people who, as most do, socially distance, sanitise the hands and wear a mask are very unlikely to catch Covid, regardless of how many people have it. It's the elderly in care homes and hospitals who need isolated,  protected etc

47 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As pointed out the young and healthy are at very minimal risk. Not stopping anyone taking it. In fact you can have mine as I wont be participating in a vaccine where the pharmaceutical companies take no liability. 

23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes its disappointing that this info is almost hidden.  I wonder why?

I wonder why too. It doesn't fit the narrative perhaps.  I listened to some hysterical, screechy woman on SAGE on Sky who wants a lock down or else we're all going to die!!!! It seems the govt are losing faith in SAGE and their unauthorised briefings to the press and Starmer. One Tory MP stated that"Whitty and Vallance are sh*tting themselves ahead of the inevitable public inquiry" 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I wonder why too. It doesn't fit the narrative perhaps.  I listened to some hysterical, screechy woman on SAGE on Sky who wants a lock down or else we're all going to die!!!! It seems the govt are losing faith in SAGE and their unauthorised briefings to the press and Starmer. One Tory MP stated that"Whitty and Vallance are sh*tting themselves ahead of the inevitable public inquiry" 

Enzo it was a rhetorical question.  Obviously it would ramp up the scare factor if the general public realise that most dying...a massively high percentage are older.  I have a couple older friends who arent online and only get their information from television or media and really haven't much of an idea about deaths ages etc. . Needless to say they are worried about their safety. 

Konrad von Carstein
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Quite a few people will be shitting themselves...and some of them will be MP's /MSPs...

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It doesn't spread itself. Older people who, as most do, socially distance, sanitise the hands and wear a mask are very unlikely to catch Covid, regardless of how many people have it. It's the elderly in care homes and hospitals who need isolated,  protected etc

I was referring to vaccination and the claim that we wouldn't need to vaccinate young and healthy people. In order to protect a population, you need sufficient vaccine coverage of that entire population, partially because some people depend on herd immunity (see https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/herd-immunity, https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/should-not-vacc.html or https://www.publichealth.org/public-awareness/understanding-vaccines/vaccines-work/ for example), partially because vaccines don't work on everyone, and partially because we don't want smouldering pockets of the virus kicking about. Of course, we don't know what form an eventual vaccine will take, how effective it will be, or what proportion of the population will need to be vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Quite a few people will be shitting themselves...and some of them will be MP's /MSPs...

Yes, very true. A lot of backside covering going on. 

Governor Tarkin
58 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

50 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Red answers this below.

47 minutes ago, redjambo said:

32 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Well they can but theoretically if the old and vulnerable are vaccinated then they aren’t at risk. Covid isn’t a danger to younger people. 

It still can be, but that's not really the point. It stands to reason that the less vectors there are the less virus there will be in general circulation in absolute terms. Drive it in to the ground and reduce the likliehood of nasty mutations, and reduce the requirement for mass vaccination programs every year.

Win win.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I was referring to vaccination and the claim that we wouldn't need to vaccinate young and healthy people. In order to protect a population, you need sufficient vaccine coverage of that entire population, partially because some people depend on herd immunity (see https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/herd-immunity, https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/should-not-vacc.html or https://www.publichealth.org/public-awareness/understanding-vaccines/vaccines-work/ for example), partially because vaccines don't work on everyone, and partially because we don't want smouldering pockets of the virus kicking about. Of course, we don't know what form an eventual vaccine will take, how effective it will be, or what proportion of the population will need to be vaccinated.

Yes, agreed. Hopefully the take up rate will be sufficient 

8 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

As pointed out the young and healthy are at very minimal risk. Not stopping anyone taking it. In fact you can have mine as I wont be participating in a vaccine where the pharmaceutical companies take no liability. 

If you don't mind me saying, Bt2, you need to learn how vaccines work (i.e. how they can be made to be effective). Please see my answer above.

In a nutshell, if anyone can transmit the disease then they need to be part of the vaccination program, no matter how young or healthy they may be.

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, very true. A lot of backside covering going on. 

I think that the reasons for taking some decisions have been shady and not in the public interest to say the least and that's before we get into the various awards of contract to wholly unsuitable recipients....

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Enzo it was a rhetorical question.  Obviously it would ramp up the scare factor if the general public realise that most dying...a massively high percentage are older.  I have a couple older friends who arent online and only get their information from television or media and really haven't much of an idea about deaths ages etc. . Needless to say they are worried about their safety. 

Yes, I realised that James. Although I still answered it😂.  Yes, surely we have a duty to people like your friends,  to provide them with accurate information about the risks and where it spreads, so that they can make informed choices based on their own circumstances.  Scaring folk witless has been the govt and scientific position from day one, which is why they are nervous about the public inquiry

3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I think that the reasons for taking some decisions have been shady and not in the public interest to say the least and that's before we get into the various awards of contract to wholly unsuitable recipients....

Exactly..7k a day for management consultants. That's more than guys like you and I earn in a week.  It's obscene 

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

The bit in bold, big time.

Edited by redjambo

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I realised that James. Although I still answered it😂.  Yes, surely we have a duty to people like your friends,  to provide them with accurate information about the risks and where it spreads, so that they can make informed choices based on their own circumstances.  Scaring folk witless has been the govt and scientific position from day one, which is why they are nervous about the public inquiry

:) yes we do have a duty to have accurate and transparent information about the virus and easily obtainable. Not have to search forever to find some stats etc. Yes one of my friend is 79 and he thinks the virus is " everywhere " Mind you doesn't stop him going to the bookies... :) but seriously people without access to alternative information and views about the whole issue are missing a lot. 

Konrad von Carstein
3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Exactly..7k a day for management consultants. That's more than guys like you and I earn in a week.  It's obscene 

:lol: but also :( 

11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I’m not big on conspiracy theories, not least as no one in power seems competent enough to manage one, but I do wonder if letting the universities back has anything to do with starting the ‘herd immunity’ ball rolling in the low risk population. Also gives them a load of youngsters to test again in 6 months to see if they retain any immunity. I have no evidence to back this up it just seemed such a stupid decision to open up the universities I sort of hope there was a good reason rather than just government stupidity!

Konrad von Carstein

Morgan is a bit of a tosser but this must be questioned at any enquiry...

image.png

image.png

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

1 minute ago, flogel41 said:

I’m not big on conspiracy theories, not least as no one in power seems competent enough to manage one, but I do wonder if letting the universities back has anything to do with starting the ‘herd immunity’ ball rolling in the low risk population. Also gives them a load of youngsters to test again in 6 months to see if they retain any immunity. I have no evidence to back this up it just seemed such a stupid decision to open up the universities I sort of hope there was a good reason rather than just government stupidity!

I have to admit that the thought crossed my mind too that this could have been an attempt, not necessarily to try to achieve herd immunity quickly, but to open the tap a bit more with the aim of pushing it along a bit. Very difficult to achieve in practice though without the virus spreading to the more vulnerable (student populations are in no way closed systems), so if it were the case then it would have been known beforehand that it contained inherent risks.

Liked the bit in bold. :)

27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

If you don't mind me saying, Bt2, you need to learn how vaccines work (i.e. how they can be made to be effective). Please see my answer above.

In a nutshell, if anyone can transmit the disease then they need to be part of the vaccination program, no matter how young or healthy they may be.

So you're saying the vaccine should be compulsory? Sorry I don't consent. 

Just now, Back to 2005 said:

So you're saying the vaccine should be compulsory? Sorry I don't consent. 

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that it could well be the case that a large proportion of the population need to be vaccinated in order for any vaccine to be effective.

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'd be very surprised if you are able to provide any sources for these figures.

Weakened Offender
6 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I'd be very surprised if you are able to provide any sources for these figures.

Be prepared to not be surprised in the slightest. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic