Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, weehammy said:

That’s quite true. But it essentially makes him just another mouthpiece in addition to the FM.

Absolutely. But a mouthpiece who focusses on and channels the medical advice. And well qualified to do that job - he has been National Clinical Director of Healthcare Quality and Strategy for almost six years, after all.

I don't understand why folk on here make so many personal attacks on Jason Leitch. Attack the message, if you wish (and I know you wish that big time :wink:), but not the messenger. Try and show some class.

Governor Tarkin
32 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Anyone who doesn’t wear helmet is a complete twit.

not only are you putting yourself at risk, you are also putting others well-being at risk too - If a driver knocks you over you’re more likely to die if you don’t have a helmet on - which is not fair on that driver either.

There's a couple of helmets on this thread, mate. If you've got a mirror handy have a wee peek.

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I suspect that dentists (any dentist, not just one that also studied epidemiology at Harvard University) know more about viruses, their transmission and associated pathology than the majority of people posting on this thread.

:spoton:

34 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Anyone who doesn’t wear helmet is a complete twit.

not only are you putting yourself at risk, you are also putting others well-being at risk too - If a driver knocks you over you’re more likely to die if you don’t have a helmet on - which is not fair on that driver either.

Please stop trying to distract the conversation. If you want to start a new thread about the dangers of cycling without a helmet, feel free to do so.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Absolutely. But a mouthpiece who focusses on and channels the medical advice. And well qualified to do that job - he has been National Clinical Director of Healthcare Quality and Strategy for almost six years, after all.

I don't understand why folk on here make so many personal attacks on Jason Leitch. Attack the message, if you wish (and I know you wish that big time :wink:), but not the messenger. Try and show some class.

He's from Airdrie

Just now, Robbofan99 said:

Shock horror ! How many died of cancer yesterday , heart disease , road traffic accidents bla bla bla 

At least you're now showing a glimmer of comprehension that your arguments are knee-jerk and mind-numbingly repetitive. :D

3 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Shock horror ! How many died of cancer yesterday , heart disease , road traffic accidents bla bla bla 

Enough of your nonsense.

either take this seriously or please refrain from posting on this thread now

This is not the time or place to be complacent 

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Enough of your nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

You can pipe down

:rofl:

5 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Enough of your nonsense.

Look in the mirror ! drama queen 

Just now, graygo said:

Positive tests not cases.

Look, please don't carry on this spurious argument (unless you're just carrying on the joke about that stupid case/+ test post earlier on of course).

There is no legal definition of the word "case" and no-one has the right to declare their definition as the canonical one. For Covid-19, a "case" is being defined as the result of a positive test for the virus. We all know what it means and it provides a base point on which to report, provide analysis and make decisions. It's not some plot from the Illuminati.

5 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Is this the most exciting news you've had since May? 

How sick a question is that, MP?

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

7 deaths is a bit of a sickener, I bet they all swore blind that face coverings work.

I could tell it was " bad " news today by the tone of wee Krankies voice when she began her speech.  So much for her boast of nearly eradicating the virus.  ?  It was always impossible to do so why attempt it ? I Expect more restrictions to make our lives even more miserable. 

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Look, please don't carry on this spurious argument (unless you're just carrying on the joke about that stupid case/+ test post earlier on of course).

There is no legal definition of the word "case" and no-one has the right to declare their definition as the canonical one. For Covid-19, a "case" is being defined as the result of a positive test for the virus. We all know what it means and it provides a base point on which to report, provide analysis and make decisions. It's not some plot from the Illuminati.

Maybe they should be clearer with the general population by stating they some of the " cases" are mild or asymptomatic ? They may make people less stressful but the narrative just states " cases" so it feels more alarming to people not au fait with the details of them. 

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:rofl:

I'm still fascinated as to whether JiH is a troll or not. If he is, it's some of the cleverest (and most annoying) trolling I've ever seen. If not, he doesn't seem to realise that he actually damages the cause of trying to get people to take Covid-19 seriously every time he tells them to take it seriously. It's a good thing all the folk on this thread most probably had their minds made up months ago, either way. :)

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Thanks for the advice but I'll carry on pointing out that a "case" is not the same as a positive test result. 

If there is no legal definition of the word "case" and no-one has the right to declare their definition as the canonical one that makes me just as entitled as anyone to call it what I want.

Weakened Offender
14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

At least you're now showing a glimmer of comprehension that your arguments are knee-jerk and mind-numbingly repetitive. :D

He's actually becoming more of an attention seeking dullard than that Tarkin fella. 🙄

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

How sick a question is that, MP?

On a scale of 1 to graygo's post, I'd place it around 'slightly too far'. 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Thanks for the advice but I'll carry on pointing out that a "case" is not the same as a positive test result. 

If there is no legal definition of the word "case" and no-one has the right to declare their definition as the canonical one that makes me just as entitled as anyone to call it what I want.

👍

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

So is this the new thing then, a positive test isn't a case? 

Now people are claiming it doesn't count unless you need treatment. :vrface:

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Dog eat dog is totally unacceptable when it boils down to people opting out of reasonable social distancing responsibility.    There is no such thing as personal liability only.   People can't out-smart a virus.    One person saying **** it,   I'm just ignoring these rules can mean consequences for other people.    

Imagine being aware that refusing to try to take part in reasonable social distancing could,  quite easily,   result in some indeterminate number of people falling seriously ill or dying.    There is no rationale or justification for saying that is an acceptable price to pay for the sake of being a gutless ***** (not you) and wanting your own life to carry on without any restriction.

That's true of so many things that we (at least I and others) do that never results in any change. Imagine being aware that things like driving a car, buying a mobile, taking a flight, underpaying for food do quite easily result in people elsewhere falling seriously ill or dying. Yet we don't do anything about it, nobody cares. The reason people find it hard to process it is because they've been conditioned to believe we don't care about those kind of things. Yes, the passing on of a virus is more visceral, yes we can recognise a vulnerable british person dying easier than we can someone in a far flung place indirectly being harmed but the impact is the same. People get seriously ill and some people die. Why do we suddenly care if others are harmed by our actions? Especially in smaller numbers than the indirect consequence of many, many things we do every single day that are considered socially acceptable?

Well lets see if the latest round of restrictions in the last few weeks will help contain this " outbreak" . These latest restrictions supported vigorously by many on this.  Only time will tell. 

17 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's not a new outbreak, Ray, it's the same one, and it's got a way to go yet.

How long do you think we (as a society) should continue to suspend other vital services which are literally life-saving for thousands upon thousands of people? In fact, as your not an epidemologist/virologist/dentist/etc don't bother answering that.

On the other treatments,  cancer screenings etc. are the same issues happening abroad for other countries who went into lockdown?

i.e. is it an inevitable impact of lockdown or a reflection on the public health systems in the UK?

It certainly seems worrying the backlogs,  particularly with cancer treatments, so you would hope the UK and Scottish governments would be making this a top priority to try and get through the backlog,although very easy for me to say that.

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Now people are claiming it doesn't count unless you need treatment. :vrface:

WRONG. They are using the " case" word to frighten people irrespective of the severity of the individual infection without noting that most people will not even notice they will have had it or have had very mild symptoms. 

Just now, Robbofan99 said:

Maybe they should be clearer with the general population by stating they some of the " cases" are mild or asymptomatic ? They may make people less stressful but the narrative just states " cases" so it feels more alarming to people not au fait with the details of them. 

I think we all know that. A large majority of the student cases will be asymptomatic for example. We're hearing all the time about footballers or other well-known folk being tested positive and not showing symptoms.

That's not the point though. If you have the virus you are able to transmit it whether or not you have full-blown symptoms, mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. If you're a case, you can infect. Although there is also the argument to be had that those with full-blown symptoms are greater transmitters due to their coughing and sneezing, that can be balanced by the pervasive argument that those with no symptoms are the greater threat as they get on with their daily lives not knowing they have Covid, rather than holing up, and thus can infect more people.

I think it would be very difficult to split the stats up into the severity of symptoms. I personally would prefer to know more information about cases, particularly those in my local area, as they happen. Are they in care homes, among students, age ranges, symptoms, etc. That way I would be able to make better decisions for my safety and the safety of my family. It's a good point that you make in that respect, that greater information is useful.

2 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

WRONG. They are using the " case" word to frighten people irrespective of the severity of the individual infection without noting that most people will not even notice they will have had it or have had very mild symptoms. 

How does that make my statement wrong? 

You are saying that a case isn't a case unless it is severe. (which is obviously nonsense)

Edited by Ray Gin

2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Were they? I think most people thought they were overly harsh and/or unnecessary especially at a national level? or didn't support them in any way at all. I can't think of many, maybe one idiot, who supported them.

absolute rubbish ill not name names but several have posted today 

Just now, Taffin said:

That's true of so many things that we (at least I and others) do that never results in any change. Imagine being aware that things like driving a car, buying a mobile, taking a flight, underpaying for food do quite easily result in people elsewhere falling seriously ill or dying. Yet we don't do anything about it, nobody cares. The reason people find it hard to process it is because they've been conditioned to believe we don't care about those kind of things. Yes, the passing on of a virus is more visceral, yes we can recognise a vulnerable british person dying easier than we can someone in a far flung place indirectly being harmed but the impact is the same. People get seriously ill and some people die. Why do we suddenly care if others are harmed by our actions? Especially in smaller numbers than the indirect consequence of many, many things we do every single day that are considered socially acceptable?

Governments make decisions that people can credibly say are having bad consequences for others.   Economic consequences,  businesses and jobs.   Health consequences for non-CV illnesses.    Individual people playing their part in reasonable social distancing aren't causing harm to others.    Opting out does.    The cooperation or non cooperation of individuals has a completely different set of consequences to that resulting from governmental policies.

In short,   a widespread societal effort is required.   Opting out on the basis of the government getting stuff wrong is a misplaced notion.

6 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Well lets see if the latest round of restrictions in the last few weeks will help contain this " outbreak" . These latest restrictions supported vigorously by many on this.  Only time will tell. 

Not long ago,  you were one of the people ridiculing others for saying we had to wait and see,  etc.     Is it allowed now then?

Governor Tarkin
14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm still fascinated as to whether JiH is a troll or not. If he is, it's some of the cleverest (and most annoying) trolling I've ever seen. If not, he doesn't seem to realise that he actually damages the cause of trying to get people to take Covid-19 seriously every time he tells them to take it seriously. It's a good thing all the folk on this thread most probably had their minds made up months ago, either way. :)

As trolling goes it's not clever at all, but his ability to stay in character for so long is certainly admirable. Unless...

11 minutes ago, graygo said:

Yes, but given we are using the word "case" in a particular way to report the statistics for this particular epidemic, and the use of that word is not intended to mislead, it would be stupid to argue semantics. That sort of waste of time is more suited to others, graygo - you surely have the intelligence to counter the Scottish government's advice, and our approach to the pandemic, rather than getting sucked in to Trump-like meme territory.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic