Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I don't know the answer to that, sorry, but in countries with a larger private healthcare system things may well be different. It's not comparable in terms of seriousness but when I was at the dentist for a checkup the other day he said he couldn't do the regular scale and polish as it was on the NHS forbidden list but he could offer it to me privately there and then for a hundred quid or so.

Hopefully these policies are under constant review and people don't suffer unnecessarily.

No worries. I'm just interested to know how common this is and whether it's an inevitable impact of lockdown or more how we have managed lockdown.

re. your dentist story, that just seems bizarre and you'd think there would be more leeway in the NHS.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Costanza said:

No worries. I'm just interested to know how common this is and whether it's an inevitable impact of lockdown or more how we have managed lockdown.

re. your dentist story, that just seems bizarre and you'd think there would be more leeway in the NHS.

Yep dentists won’t do things like fillings on the NHS but will do it privately.  

All about the money 

56 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And as, based on weekly figures in England, flu deaths are running at 10 times the rate of Covid deaths, why have we never masked-up, socially distanced or locked down to prevent the spread of flu, hospitals being "overwhelmed " or to save lives?? There is something that simply does not add up, in the reaction and response to Covid. The public inquiry will be interesting. 

1) Flu is less virulent and has a lesser payload than Covid-19.

2) We have a vaccine for the flu.

3) The only reason that flu deaths are higher than Covid-19 at the moment is that we are taking measures to suppress the spread of Covid. That certainly wasn't the case earlier this year when Covid was running rampant.

Yes, the public inquiry will be interesting, but I wouldn't get your hopes up that it will reveal sensational evidence to back up the way you see things.

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

As a big fatty former smoker that is a worry. 

Don't worry about it, BD. Just use your common sense and you should be fine. If you're careful with the situations you get yourself into, you would have to be extremely unlucky indeed to catch Covid.

39 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

You are entilted to your opinion. You do you man.

I am doing me, I'm pointing out that what you posted is blatant misinformation.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I am doing me, I'm pointing out that what you posted is blatant misinformation.

What germ theory v terrain theory...i'd like to see you disprove terrain theory other than 'blatant misinformation'.

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

3) The only reason that flu deaths are higher than Covid-19 at the moment is that we are taking measures to suppress the spread of Covid. That certainly wasn't the case earlier this year when Covid was running rampant.

But the measures we are taking to suppress the spread of Covid should also work to suppress the spread of Flu, yet Flu deaths are 10 times higher even with a vaccine.

Just now, heartstastic said:

What germ theory v terrain theory...i'd like to see you disprove terrain theory other than 'blatant misinformation'.

On that article from 2018 the guy cited Wikipedia, a website with no information and something called "Crusadors", which I can find no trace of.

This year he posted about 5g making covid worse.

He's full of shit.

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

But the measures we are taking to suppress the spread of Covid should also work to suppress the spread of Flu, yet Flu deaths are 10 times higher even with a vaccine.

Can you point me to the current flu stats please (Governmental statistical data, preferably), Nucky, so I can have a look. Cheers.

Adam_the_legend
5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I was going to post the same thing. Strange logic...

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Can you point me to the current flu stats please (Governmental statistical data, preferably), Nucky, so I can have a look. Cheers.

Actually I know there is panic about the flu this winter but I think that there will probably be less of it due to precautions we are taking re covid . It’ll have the knock on effect of lowering transition rates if flu ? But recent stats don’t seem to suggest this 

Riddley Walker
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

On that article from 2018 the guy cited Wikipedia, a website with no information and something called "Crusadors", which I can find no trace of.

He's full of shit.

The germ theory/terrain theory nonsense is just another strand of brainwashed bingo.

Germ theory

Flat earth

Anti-vaxxer

5G-Covid

Illuminati

NWO

Rothschilds control the world/Jews are evil

Very predictable. Ironically, these folk believe they're enlightened and everyone else is gullible, when they're actually the sheep who believe in Identikit nonsense.

The link he provided there was typical. Unsourced ramblings of a barely literate chap with a few letters next to his name.

jack D and coke
42 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Taffin utterly nailing it the last few pages. 

Isn’t he just. Because of the relentless media barrage this year you’d be forgiven for thinking there’s literally nothing else in the world to be worried about. I wonder how many mask wearers haven’t cared a shiny shite about anyone else as they cleared shelves at their supermarkets also. 
People have completely lost their minds over this. 

5 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

The germ theory/terrain theory nonsense is just another strand of brainwashed bingo.

Germ theory

Flat earth

Anti-vaxxer

5G-Covid

Illuminati

NWO

Rothschilds control the world/Jews are evil

Very predictable. Ironically, these folk believe they're enlightened and everyone else is gullible, when they're actually the sheep who believe in Identikit nonsense.

The link he provided there was typical. Unsourced ramblings of a barely literate chap with a few letters next to his name.

Good post. What gets me about the people who believe this stuff is that they themselves think they have a ‘question everything’ attitude but they believe any conspiracy theory they take a fancy to without questioning it. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Actually I know there is panic about the flu this winter but I think that there will probably be less of it due to precautions we are taking re covid . It’ll have the knock on effect of lowering transition rates if flu ? But recent stats don’t seem to suggest this 

I heard it mentioned on a news item( can't remember the station) that rates of flu in the southern hemisphere are much lower than most years at this point which are probably due to the covid protections people are taking. 

Hopefully people will continue to wash their hands more often and still carry sanitizers with them when covid is no longer an issue and then flu might be less common as a result.

This is the plan that is currently underway due to be completed by 2030. As i keep saying you can choose to dismiss this information but it will become apparent to all but the most brainwashed in the months and years ahead.

The pdf for Agenda21 and Agenda 30 are easily found on the united nations own website.

In regards to the depopulation agenda she talks about the website below is a defense/military intelligence site, have a look at the forecast for the population in western countries in 2017/2025 ... a little disconcerting to say the least.

https://www.deagel.com/country

I really hope none of this comes to pass but as long as the masses continue to sleep and believe narratives fed to them by governments (proven liars on many many things over the years...weapons of mass destruction anyone?), i do not fancy our chances.

24 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He's full of shit.

Terrain theory is not his body of work...he's only given his opinion on it.

3 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I heard it mentioned on a news item( can't remember the station) that rates of flu in the southern hemisphere are much lower than most years at this point which are probably due to the covid protections people are taking. 

Hopefully people will continue to wash their hands more often and still carry sanitizers with them when covid is no longer an issue and then flu might be less common as a result.

Yes at least one positive from covid ! 

Nucky Thompson

30 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I was going by a link that another poster quoted a few pages back. I'll have a look and see if I can find it again

52 minutes ago, redjambo said:

1) Flu is less virulent and has a lesser payload than Covid-19.

2) We have a vaccine for the flu.

Yes, the public inquiry will be interesting, but I wouldn't get your hopes up that it will reveal sensational evidence to back up the way you see things.

Regardless of the vaccine, flu is as infectious as Covid and will probably kill more people than Covid this winter.  It is not, however, new and shiny and does not offer the scientists the "World Cup Final" moment that Covid has. 

J.T.F.Robertson
15 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

609E5765-1430-4164-A679-3F19199D7048.png

Ultimate in selfishness when you attempt to take solace from stats like these. (meaning yours truly)

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The flip-side to this is that it is likely to create a significant section of the population who will be more susceptible to covid and influenza in future years. This will create spikes that then 'legitimise' further government interventions in our daily lives.

This ties into the arguments that have been posited by the Irish Youtube stat guy (can't remember which poster was sharing his videos) whose use of yearly data suggests that a low mortality rate from influenza in Europe over the past two years has contributed to the high Covid mortality rate in 2020. In his rather callous words, there was a lot of dead wood ready to be caught in the Covid flames. Whether you like that analogy or not, artificially extending the lifespan of elderly and vulnerable people - while laudable to an extent - by creating unsustainable levels of shielding does have a sense of swimming against the tide of how both biology and evolution work, vaccine or no vaccine.

That's not to say that we shouldn't try to keep more people alive, before I get the usual barrage of funny-faced dogs and other assorted images. Rather, in an era in which the word sustainability has become a valuable watchword, governments have created unsustainable methods of keeping people 'safe' from harm, while simultaneously doing harm to others and setting us up for further spikes.

TL;DR Jonesy thinks we should kill more old and sick folk. ;)

It is a messy situation and governments are now going round in circles as the crisis is now how to avoid total economic melt down whilst still pinning hopes on the vaccine which is probably taking longer to develope to the point of safety than many leaders were hoping back at the start of all this.

On the other point colds and flu, although often rough when we catch them, do a lot to keep our immune systems ticking over which still gives a bit of protection even in old age, that could be lost with total shielding of the vulnerable if they are not catching the annual viruses.

Dennis Reynolds
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Good post. What gets me about the people who believe this stuff is that they themselves think they have a ‘question everything’ attitude but they believe any conspiracy theory they take a fancy to without questioning it. 

This x1000000000000

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Baw Jaws doing the softening up work for Lockdown 2 on the beeb. 

It didn't come across that way to me. He said very little new 

The Mighty Thor

I agree he's said plenty but said little. 

He reiterated the message that the government reserve the right to enforce more restrictions then the first question from the queen of the softball, Kuenssberg, was about lockdown. 

This whole presser is a behave or else and then in a week or two it'll be 'we told you'

Not a point about the merits of lockdowns or even about whether or not the current measures are helping suppression.    Would an outright warning that a new lockdown is guaranteed to happen soon if people continue some of the more extreme breaches even register?    I doubt it.    I suspect the more extreme transgressors are beyond reach and wont even recognise they're part of the problem.    A more hardline,  general lockdown probably wont even have much impact on the level of extreme breaches.

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not a point about the merits of lockdowns or even about whether or not the current measures are helping suppression.    Would an outright warning that a new lockdown is guaranteed to happen soon if people continue some of the more extreme breaches even register?    I doubt it.    I suspect the more extreme transgressors are beyond reach and wont even recognise they're part of the problem.    A more hardline,  general lockdown probably wont even have much impact on the level of extreme breaches.

Said this all along, Vic, the innocent are bound to the damned.

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sadly you are correct.  The people obeying the rules are always the easy target to punish and the governments can point and say "we did something but you didn't listen".

What we need are heavy handed enforcement measures to make the transgressors sit up and take notice.

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Sadly you are correct.  The people obeying the rules are always the easy target to punish and the governments can point and say "we did something but you didn't listen".

What we need are heavy handed enforcement measures to make the transgressors sit up and take notice.

'Heavy handed enforcement' :lol: 

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

For individuals who are following a line of conscientious civil disobedience, no, not really. In fact, another lockdown would perhaps be a good indicator that the government are clueless about how to run the show, much like when a ref starts flashing cards after a melee on a football pitch.

🤣   is this a new thing?

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Lockdown is your preference, then :thumbsup:

Nah normal life is my preference bud :thumbsup: but your desire for people to be enforced upon just for living their lifes is bizarre and North korea esque.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The only sitting up and taking notice will happen due to the deterrent factor.    Only after seeing others become examples of the potential penalties.    These are people who are probably beyond the reach of the threat of fines.    Only prison makes some people notice.    Nobody wants that to be necessary.    But maybe it does require that deterrent to exist.

https://apple.news/Agdy_8De1TbS0MazRiMJIlw

Becton Dickinson and Co.’s Covid-19 test that returns results in 15 minutes has been cleared for use in countries that accept Europe’s CE marking, the diagnostics maker said Wednesday.

The test is part of a new class of quicker screening tools named for the identifying proteins called antigens they detect on the surface of SARS-CoV-2. Becton Dickinson expects to begin selling the test, which runs on the company’s cellphone-sized BD Veritor Plus System, in European markets at the end of October. It will likely be used by emergency departments, general practitioners and pediatricians.

“It is really a game-changing introduction here in Europe,” said Fernand Goldblat, BD’s head of diagnostics for Europe. Europe was really at the epicenter of the pandemic in April and May, “and unfortunately I think we’re headed back in that direction. So the need will be extremely high,” he said.

Will the U.K. get access to this!? We are probably asleep at the wheel again!!

6 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Nah normal life is my preference bud :thumbsup: but your desire for people wanting to be enforced upon just for living their lifes is bizarre and North korea esque.

That option isn't on the table, try again.

2 hours ago, Robbofan99 said:

That's a good point. If it doesn't, then there will certainly be something to be learned from comparing more closely the different transmission mechanisms for flu and Covid.

It's also interesting to note that my parents' GP has just informed them that they won't be giving out the flu jab this year and that they have to wait for the NHS to get in contact with them instead. I sincerely hope that the new arrangements, whatever they are, don't impact on the speed and efficiency with which those eligible for a flu jab get one.

I like social distancing, hopefully something that remains.

Quite like drinking indoors now which was something I've never really enjoyed. 

Watching football with no crowds on the tv is also something I thought I couldn't get used to, I was wrong, really enjoy the deluge of Football on tv.

Overall, I've adapted to this new way of life and I possibly prefer it to the old one. 

2 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I’m going for my flue jab tomorrow. Lessoning the risk of catching it. 

Had mine last week, had my arm amputated yesterday, good luck.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Regardless of the vaccine, flu is as infectious as Covid and will probably kill more people than Covid this winter.  It is not, however, new and shiny and does not offer the scientists the "World Cup Final" moment that Covid has. 

No it isn't.

I'll give you two links, found with a few seconds internet searching: (1) https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm - "COVID-19 is more contagious among certain populations and age groups than flu. "

(2) https://www.who.int/westernpacific/news/q-a-detail/q-a-similarities-and-differences-covid-19-and-influenza - "The reproductive number – the number of secondary infections generated from one infected individual – is understood to be between 2 and 2.5 for COVID-19 virus, higher than for influenza."

I'll leave you to find other links. If you're going to make comments like "flu is as infectious as Covid" then try to back it up with stats or data.

1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

Had mine last week, had my arm amputated yesterday, good luck.

And weirdly, it was the other arm!

Riddley Walker
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Yep, essentially they've transferred their belief system onto sources which have WAY less scrutiny than those they pertain to be unreliable.

5 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I’m going for my flue jab tomorrow. Lessoning the risk of catching it. 

Out of interest, are you getting it from your GP? I only ask because my parents' GP has told them that he is not giving flu jabs this year, that the NHS is doing it instead (presumably a special unit being set up for that purpose?).

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Those same measures would reduce flu deaths though. Social distancing, hand washing, not being allowed to meet up, face masks etc should work the same irrespective COVID or flu. Whilst with things like a vaccine, natural population immunity and being less damage would all point to lower numbers in flu cases.

It certainly is an interesting one, Lord BJ. Hopefully I'll get my hands on some flu stats so I can look into it. Just a bit busy today to do so.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I was going by a link that another poster quoted a few pages back. I'll have a look and see if I can find it again

Ok, cheers. I've been a bit busy this afternoon but may get some time to look for them tomorrow.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Out of interest, are you getting it from your GP? I only ask because my parents' GP has told them that he is not giving flu jabs this year, that the NHS is doing it instead (presumably a special unit being set up for that purpose?).

Drive in locations, walk-in locations are set up.

Also some pharmacies are also involved.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic