Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Those exempt cards on the lanyard are basically a badge that lets everyone know you are a complete *****.

Good to see many businesses now ignoring the exempt cards.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

Just for clarification - by ‘in public’ are you including outdoors? Surely not!

nope, in shops etc I mean

17 hours ago, heartstastic said:

Some common sense from one of the Tory Mp's

Just watched this as saw it was trending a bit and I liked it.

Well, I liked it because it made me feel like a sage predicting the libertarian covid bullsh1t bingo that followed.

Attacking the science - Tick

Citing other 'science' that fits the agenda (but doing any basic lack of analysis of it) - Tick

Mentioning Sweden - Tick

Pretending to give a flying **** about people's economic wellbeing - Tick

So, this clown cites Gupta and Sikora after criticising the figures of Vallance and Whitty. Did no one tell him that Sikora predicted in March that "If Government rules are followed, I'm optimistic we will be back to normal in June" and "If we all behave sensibly, I believe this crisis will have passed by the end of the June".

I wonder if he's so liked by the libertarian Tories because he has described the NHS as the "last bastion of Communism" and has links to the Tufton Group think tanks that want to privatise the NHS and deregulate Britain (search Byline Times and Sikora for a read).

On Sweden, lest we forget numerous times on this thread that Sweden have suffered the worst death rate in Scandinavia with no better economic outcome.

Also as Nick Cohen says in his Guardian column: "You never hear the Telegraph or the Mail say that we need Swedish levels of sickness benefit to ensure that carriers stay at home and quarantine. Or Swedish levels of housing benefit to ensure that they aren’t evicted from those same homes. The knights of the suburbs do not insist that the hundreds of thousands who will be thrown on the dole in the coming months need Swedish levels of unemployment benefit and an interventionist Scandinavian state to retrain them. "

Well, quite.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/26/welcome-to-libertarian-covid-fantasy-land-thats-sweden-to-you-and-me

Protecting the economy and listening to the minority are passionately espoused by Desmond Swayne...and yet he would be comfortable with a No Deal Brexit which do neither.

In short he's a hypocritical dolt and quite why anyone would listen to him is beyond me.

12 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Can you provide any reasoning behind this? Facemasks are proving to not be making any sort of difference numbers wise :lol: so how are people not wearing them selfish? 

Of course they make a difference 

the number would be even higher 

F864B772-A15C-4806-91C3-1557AB16E66A.jpeg

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

lets face it, 99.9% of people not wearing a face mask are taking the piss.

and that's being generous.

Whilst not agreeing with the current covid mayhem, anyone seen inpublic without a mask should be tazered on sight, as they might as well be wearing a t-shirt with "I'm an aggressive, opinionated prick" written on it

Agree with most of that, prick is a bit strong though, I'd classify myself as more of an arsehole. 

Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Not good 

Too early to tell, imo. We were bound to get a spike when the students went back, and the Glasgow area restrictions weren't having the effect we had hoped for. There will also be quite a bit of uncertainty, I imagine, regarding the vectors of transmission - it's a bit of a maelstrom at the moment.

It all hinges on (i) how well the tracking effort goes; (ii) how well folk abide by the restrictions. If both of these work out well, then the figures should plateau and start coming down again. Then we can focus on specific local outbreaks again.

It's not time to panic, but certainly time to be careful and limit our exposure and the spread of the virus in the ways that we can.

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Unless you are exempt you must wear one mate 

Still waiting on you to provide a crumb of actual evidence that masks are having any impact on suppressing the virus.

Sad times that folk with hidden disabilities are getting sneered at in the name of Covid 19. 

This thread has been a real eye opener. Folk should really be ashamed of themselves. 

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why would anyone get this unless they are exempt?

Why would anyone get an exemption card unless they are exempt?

That's a great question.

🥴

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why would anyone get this unless they are exempt?

Why would anyone get an exemption card unless they are exempt?

That's a great question.

So great it's worth repeating. 🥴

Edited by graygo

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

I can usually tell the difference between someone who genuinely can't wear a mask and someone who desperate to get challenges on it just for the agro

No you can’t. It isn’t up to you to decide if someone is exempt from wearing a face mask or not. Or has a disability. Don’t be ignorant of the real challenges some people face.

6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I can usually tell the difference between someone who genuinely can't wear a mask and someone who desperate to get challenges on it just for the agro

You can tell if someone has a hidden disability just by looking at them??🤥🤥🤥

Edited by Heartsmad1874

5 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

No you can't. :rofl:

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

Apparently I can't, just as well you guys are here to keep me right.

Or maybe you need to think before posting - 'usually' - most of the time - not every time, ironically these things are harder to judge when someone is wearing a mask

There's been some amount of shite posted on this thread but that post from yours saying you can tell who is fit and able to wear a mask and who isn't just by looking at them is absolute bollocks. 

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Or maybe you need to think before posting - 'usually' - most of the time - not every time, ironically these things are harder to judge when someone is wearing a mask

You couldn’t even usually tell if someone has a hidden disability. That’s why it is called hidden. Because you can’t see it. 

Just be a bit more understanding and kind. It isn’t hard 

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

You can tell by looking at someone if they have a hidden disability??🤥🤥🤥

Fecking mental that anyone can come out with that pish :lol:

I usually start off wearing a mask in shops but as soon as I see staff without one I take mine off  ,  my partner has slight health issues and can't wear a mask , she asked her doctor for a letter for her work , she was denied so she ended up printing an Exempt card.

Nucky Thompson

:rofl:Telling people to think before posting :rofl:

29 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Unless you are exempt you must wear one mate 

Here's a fun fact for you.

I'm an NHS contractor and work in NHS Hospitals every week and have done for 10 years. It was only last week that it was made compulsory to wear a mask in the Hospital but only if I'm working in view of the public, if I'm not working in view of the public then I'm NOT required to wear a mask. 

So, your talking Shite.

Edited by Bull's-eye

Went to two car showrooms at the weekend and wore a mask in one of them where they were compulsory. Went to the one next door and got told they're exempt from the rule for some reason or other so feel free to take them off. Amazing how as soon as you're told that you just abandon all pretence, even my father in law who has wore his in any public space from March onwards took it off immediately. 

13 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You couldn’t even usually tell if someone has a hidden disability. That’s why it is called hidden. Because you can’t see it. 

Just be a bit more understanding and kind. It isn’t hard 

JUst to clarify

since the start of lockdown our practice has been seeing patients face to face in the building

vannies/6 week checks/asthma reviews/COAD reviews and so on

ill patients/ suspected COVId patients and so on

NO adult patient has come in without a facemask in the 6 months.

That is how much facemasks affect medical conditions,

of course we have not seen some of our patients with autism, but even the patients with pretty bad learning disabilities are wearing them, or at least trying to.

And re the letters of exemption- we were getting calls asking for such things but a quick perusal of their notes and we could never find a reason why they would not be able to wear a mask without it being blindingly obvious ( ie were dependent on oxygen from a cylinder)

The strapping big blokes stotting around tescos without masks, or the groups of teenage girls milling around asda? Taking the piss

26 minutes ago, shlabalaba said:

I usually start off wearing a mask in shops but as soon as I see staff without one I take mine off  ,  my partner has slight health issues and can't wear a mask , she asked her doctor for a letter for her work , she was denied so she ended up printing an Exempt card.

Do you not recognise why staff aren't expected to wear a mask all day in a business?    These people are required to wear masks when they visit other places.    Staff not wearing a mask is not remotely an excuse to de-mask.

Samuel Camazzola
55 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

6EQ%2Bj1qj8es=

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Sad times that folk with hidden disabilities are getting sneered at in the name of Covid 19. 

This thread has been a real eye opener. Folk should really be ashamed of themselves. 

Also an eye plenty on the selfish twits who just don’t wear one coz they don’t agree with it 

Aside from the obvious difficulty to wear a mask for many hours at work,   some workers easily deal with scores of people in a day.   They should have an absolute right to as much protection as possible from contact with so many people.    People visiting most premises are doing so for short durations and a small number of times per day.   If the staff members are not wearing masks then it's a small number of encounters.

Not wearing a mask 'cos the worker isn't wearing one is one of two things.    Really dumb or quite dishonest.    A monkey could learn better societal co-operation.

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Ironically, other than my own health issues, one of the things that causes me 'severe distress*' is seeing other folk in masks. I would, therefore, kindly ask that, in the spirit of togetherness we are trying to foster, everybody stops wearing masks in order to reduce the unnecessary levels of anxiety caused for me and my fellow sufferers. #Protect_others

*The government's words, not mine.

Don’t encourage others to disobey the law mate 

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Travelling Tabby site now updated with today's stats: https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Age breakdown (so not just the students testing positive):

298047971_Screenshotat2020-09-2915-01-43.png.223f499148fc629f48871dc2ccd9aa21.png

That's one hell of a misleading graph. 

357 cases covering a 10 year age bracket, predominantly students. 

356 cases covering a 40 year age bracket, predominantly workers. It's safe to say there's a ****ing shit load more folk in the 2nd category. 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Travelling Tabby site now updated with today's stats: https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Age breakdown (so not just the students testing positive):

298047971_Screenshotat2020-09-2915-01-43.png.223f499148fc629f48871dc2ccd9aa21.png

Fleeting glance at that chart and it is nonsense. I'd imagine the graph after the age of 25 would flatten out a bit if it was consistent. It does 15-19, 20-24, then, 25-44, 45-64.  Between the 20 years of 25-44 the average (not the actual figure) case is 9.1 per year (182 cases divided by twenty years) or 45.5 per 5 years. Even less between 45-64. Compare that to 132 between 20-24.

If  Travelling Tabby are using this to make a point then the point is wrong. Big red pen mark through that chart.

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

JUst to clarify

since the start of lockdown our practice has been seeing patients face to face in the building

vannies/6 week checks/asthma reviews/COAD reviews and so on

ill patients/ suspected COVId patients and so on

NO adult patient has come in without a facemask in the 6 months.

That is how much facemasks affect medical conditions,

of course we have not seen some of our patients with autism, but even the patients with pretty bad learning disabilities are wearing them, or at least trying to.

And re the letters of exemption- we were getting calls asking for such things but a quick perusal of their notes and we could never find a reason why they would not be able to wear a mask without it being blindingly obvious ( ie were dependent on oxygen from a cylinder)

The strapping big blokes stotting around tescos without masks, or the groups of teenage girls milling around asda? Taking the piss

Thought doctors were meant to be caring and compassionate? You don’t seem like you are. You have advocated tasing anyone out in public without a mask. Being a GP you should really be acutely aware of hidden disabilities including mental health problems. Go onto the Mind website to educate yourself on these. 

If you are the standard bearer for GPs when it comes to mental health care then no wonder folk don’t want to come and see use. I am actually disturbed at the thought of you treating anyone with a mental illness after reading your views on this thread. 

If anyone should know better it should be you. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

I'm genuinely disturbed at the amount of people on this thread that couldn't tell who is at it in the mask wearing department.

You think you have a super power to detect if someone has a hidden disability or not. That pretty much makes you the only disturbed one here  

Can I ask, can you tell if someone has The clap or genital warts just by looking at them as well? 

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

I'm genuinely disturbed at the amount of people on this thread that couldn't tell who is at it in the mask wearing department.

In my daily experience, chavy young couples who are, coincidentally, both "exempt" are full of shit. Old grannies and younger kids, fair dues. That's how I roll now. The inbetween? Well my businesses were classed as non essential so sorry, I put my health above yours.

49 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Also an eye plenty on the selfish twits who just don’t wear one coz they don’t agree with it 

You don’t know this. They could have a hidden disability. 

please respect folk and be more caring and compassionate please. Stop being a selfish twit. 

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

please respect folk and be more caring and compassionate please. Stop being a selfish twit. 

He is not selfish. Hes just an attention seeker.

Wearing a mask has had an impact on my health. Still wearing one but wondering if there a way you can get medically cleared to not wear one? 

I honestly cannot keep up with the covid stuff. Just dont have the energy for it anymore. 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Do you not recognise why staff aren't expected to wear a mask all day in a business?    These people are required to wear masks when they visit other places.    Staff not wearing a mask is not remotely an excuse to de-mask.

Have an online shopper job at Sainsburys atm we are only required to wear one during opening times and when on shop floor i.e. not in warehouse/back.

Soon as i get the chance i take it off before catching the bus. 6 hours wearing one non stop is brutal!

Edited by Heartsmad1874

1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Have an online shopper job at Sainsburys atm we are only required to wear one during opening times and when on shop floor i.e. not in warehouse/back.

Soon as i get the chance i take it off before catching the bus.

Folk having to wear them for longer spells at work have the shitty end of the stick.   If these people can deal with wearing a mask for long spells then that really shows up the mask renegades quite badly.    Contemptible ****ers.

9 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Wearing a mask has had an impact on my health. Still wearing one but wondering if there a way you can get medically cleared to not wear one? 

I honestly cannot keep up with the covid stuff. Just dont have the energy for it anymore. 

If it has an impact on your health then just don’t wear one.  If anyone asks you to put a mask on just say ‘exempt’ and they should piss off.  If they ask you why you can’t wear one then tell them to mind their own business, no one can ask you why you aren’t wearing one (except police) 

42 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I’m talking about the ones who claim they have asthma for example so claim they can’t wear a mask... yet are happy to smoke 

and others - including some on here - that aww blatantly not wearing a mask or following other rules as they just don’t believe in it.

So you are not allowed to have family visit you in the house, yet you can have loads of strangers come into your house to view it if it is for sale?

That-Is-Genius-Reaction-Gif.gif

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

I would politely suggest that there has never been a time to panic during this entire episode. But that doesn't drive clicks or breed compliance.

Firm action is all that is ever required to solve a problem, no matter the extent of that action.

1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

That's one hell of a misleading graph. 

357 cases covering a 10 year age bracket, predominantly students. 

356 cases covering a 40 year age bracket, predominantly workers. It's safe to say there's a ****ing shit load more folk in the 2nd category. 

Yeah, we've already covered that earlier in the thread. It is what it is, unfortunately, Norm, although I'm unsure whether or not the ranges exist in the original data or whether John at Travelling Tabby has interpreted them that way. I must ask him.

17 minutes ago, Shanks said:

If it has an impact on your health then just don’t wear one.  If anyone asks you to put a mask on just say ‘exempt’ and they should piss off.  If they ask you why you can’t wear one then tell them to mind their own business, no one can ask you why you aren’t wearing one (except police) 

It would be a thoroughly irresponsible way to react if asked to wear a mask.   I would support any worker or business if they told a person that their business is no longer welcome if someone told them to piss off or even became confrontational.

If you decide not to wear a mask and put people into the situation of being uncomfortable or being required to request a mask is worn,   you should have the self respect and inter-personal skills to calmy decline.    Hiding being abuse or confrontation is cowardly.    Total scumbag behaviour.    If you think you have an intelligent reason not to wear a mask,   people should have the courage of their convictions and act like intelligent adults.

Telling a worker to piss off.    Deary me.

Edited by Victorian

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic