Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That's a good point. If it doesn't, then there will certainly be something to be learned from comparing more closely the different transmission mechanisms for flu and Covid.

It's also interesting to note that my parents' GP has just informed them that they won't be giving out the flu jab this year and that they have to wait for the NHS to get in contact with them instead. I sincerely hope that the new arrangements, whatever they are, don't impact on the speed and efficiency with which those eligible for a flu jab get one.

👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Drive in locations, walk-in locations are set up.

Also some pharmacies are also involved.

I had no idea. Thanks for the info. I suppose they're trying to prevent transmission in GP surgeries by centrally organising and standardising the process.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Out of interest, are you getting it from your GP? I only ask because my parents' GP has told them that he is not giving flu jabs this year, that the NHS is doing it instead (presumably a special unit being set up for that purpose?).

I get the jab and my local surgery are setting dates for it at Tynecastle school on certain days in October.  There is a walk in service for it as well as a drive in service at Sighthill too. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I had no idea. Thanks for the info. I suppose they're trying to prevent transmission in GP surgeries by centrally organising and standardising the process.

Check your parents practice website and that should have the details.

55 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I agree he's said plenty but said little. 

He reiterated the message that the government reserve the right to enforce more restrictions then the first question from the queen of the softball, Kuenssberg, was about lockdown. 

This whole presser is a behave or else and then in a week or two it'll be 'we told you'

Again - all the more reason that EVERYONE MUST take this seriously now - no complacency allowed - we all MUST obey the rules in place 

Even Keir Starmer said this

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, responding to the briefing, said the number of cases was "very concerning". 

He said: "I think everybody can see that and we've all got a duty to follow the government rules, and that's very clear that we stick to that.

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I get the jab and my local surgery are setting dates for it at Tynecastle school on certain days in October.  There is a walk in service for it as well as a drive in service at Sighthill too. 

9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Check your parents practice website and that should have the details.

Cheers. Their GP website says that the jabs will start around the school holidays and that NHS Grampian will contact them by letter beforehand. I guess each NHS board may be devising their own way of doing this. My own surgery has feck all on their website - I'm actually eligible for a jab due to my asthma (note that I still wear a mask though ;)) but I'll leave it a couple of weeks before I ask them what's happening.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, redjambo said:

Cheers. Their GP website says that the jabs will start around the school holidays and that NHS Grampian will contact them by letter beforehand. I guess each NHS board may be devising their own way of doing this. My own surgery has feck all on their website - I'm actually eligible for a jab due to my asthma (note that I still wear a mask though ;)) but I'll leave it a couple of weeks before I ask them what's happening.

👍

34 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Out of interest, are you getting it from your GP? I only ask because my parents' GP has told them that he is not giving flu jabs this year, that the NHS is doing it instead (presumably a special unit being set up for that purpose?).

I'm interested too.  In previous years my employer has set something up, but that doesn't seem to be on the cards with everyone working from home.

38 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I can get from the NHS normally via the GP (which I have done for a few years)  but this year it’s a drive through centre, Craiglochart Campus but now unto early November. Instead I opted to buy one from Dears at Oxgangs for £12 and I get it tomorrow. I didn’t want to wait that long to get it especially as I’m going to Tenerife on Monday all being well. 

38 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I got an NHS letter last week telling me to make an appointment at my GP to get the flu jab. 

Phoned the doctors on Monday morning and an appointment made for me and 

Mrs LD for Monday afternoon. 

In and out in five minutes done and dusted. 

We are in East Lothian. 

We are very lucky with our doctors practice they are different class compared to some of the stories you hear. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Not a point about the merits of lockdowns or even about whether or not the current measures are helping suppression.    Would an outright warning that a new lockdown is guaranteed to happen soon if people continue some of the more extreme breaches even register?    I doubt it.    I suspect the more extreme transgressors are beyond reach and wont even recognise they're part of the problem.    A more hardline,  general lockdown probably wont even have much impact on the level of extreme breaches.

Advance warning of a lock down will just lead not just the extreme trangressors but also some who do comply (or on the whole try to) to to take advantage of the window to exploit the milder restrictions to the full while they still can..I agree that the extreme transgressors are not reachable by anything but I am not sure that matters that much, No-one ever expected 100% compliance with a lockdown and the experts thought say 80% compliance would be a good outcome and do the job. The endless repetition of the "everyone MUST obey" mantra is I suspect counterproductive. It suggests there is no hope of containment if this does not happen and since everyone knows it won't it may make some think "why bother".

Further lockdowns should 

- be limited geographically - there is little point in lock downs in the large swathes of the country  with very few cases

- they should be time limited so people can see  an exit door and 

- the criteria for removing lockdowns/restrictions eg specified level of reduction in cases) should be defined 

Edited by Francis Albert

IMO unscientific as it is. I suspect this current upsurge is due to a few factors. 
Easing of restrictions, schools going back, Universities going back and complacency by some of the population. 

36 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Even Keir Starmer said this

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, responding to the briefing, said the number of cases was "very concerning". 

He said: "I think everybody can see that and we've all got a duty to follow the government rules, and that's very clear that we stick to that.

Your using Starmer to back up your postings.  Now that is desperate.  He has no backbone, stabbed JC in the back to get to the leadership and is a rabid Zionist to boot. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

For individuals who are following a line of conscientious civil disobedience, no, not really. In fact, another lockdown would perhaps be a good indicator that the government are clueless about how to run the show, much like when a ref starts flashing cards after a melee on a football pitch.

I take it folk who are refusing to obey the restrictions due to conscientious civil disobedience will keep to their principles when/if they require medical expertise in the event of infection. 

After all it would be against their human rights to force medical treatment on them. 

Samuel Camazzola
46 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Again - all the more reason that EVERYONE MUST take this seriously now - no complacency allowed - we all MUST obey the rules in place 

giphy.gif&ehk=cyAph7XitLHMGhuzAHGbmHSjtb

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

I like social distancing, hopefully something that remains.

Quite like drinking indoors now which was something I've never really enjoyed. 

Watching football with no crowds on the tv is also something I thought I couldn't get used to, I was wrong, really enjoy the deluge of Football on tv.

Overall, I've adapted to this new way of life and I possibly prefer it to the old one. 

I prefer the extra space in restaurants, miss the buzz and spontaneity of the pub, but have draft at home so that softens the blow. I don't even notice the lack of crowds at football now, and if anything the players seem to be playing with a bit less fear. The extra games on telly is handy too.  There's certainly things I'll miss when normal service is resumed.

Had mine last week, had my arm amputated yesterday, good luck.

Masturbation with only the one hand just won't be the same.

26 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Beat it. 

:sob:

Edited by Governor Tarkin

22 minutes ago, luckydug said:

No he shouldn't 😕

A bit sanctimonious of you, I've already said as much.

It was intended as a dig at our resident arsehole from Hamilton and yes, it backfired.

Edited by graygo

26 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

IMO unscientific as it is. I suspect this current upsurge is due to a few factors. 
Easing of restrictions, schools going back, Universities going back and complacency by some of the population. 

Exactly but who would have thought without a vaccine, restrictions getting reduced and people doing more than they were during lockdown is leading to new cases.

Mindblowing stuff. 🤯🤯

Lockdowns or more restrictions should only happen if the NHS struggles to cope again, they can't just put a stop gap in every time theres a wee surge in cases until they find a vaccine its simply unfeasible.

24 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I think you could be right. I'm really not sure why Universities weren't run on the basis of distance learning. With Schools perhaps we didn't understand the impact but shut them now (for older kids at least) and they can lean on line until January. 

16 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I think you could be right. I'm really not sure why Universities weren't run on the basis of distance learning. With Schools perhaps we didn't understand the impact but shut them now (for older kids at least) and they can lean on line until January. 

Even Stevie Wonder could have seen the Halls of Residence being unsafe during a pandemic.  If you are to keep universities open these have to shut.

Adam_the_legend
19 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I think the purpose of this slide earlier was to justify schools staying open. 

7F9AEB01-A76E-4294-A40D-0DC18A1CC8DD.png

I like social distancing, hopefully something that remains.

Quite like drinking indoors now which was something I've never really enjoyed. 

Watching football with no crowds on the tv is also something I thought I couldn't get used to, I was wrong, really enjoy the deluge of Football on tv.

Overall, I've adapted to this new way of life and I possibly prefer it to the old one. 

Nobody listened to a word you said at the fans bar anyway.   We've got a carboard cut-out ordered to take your place.    It'll buy as many rounds.   

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Fair enough.

While you don't need to browse the Thoreau section, although you could perhaps do with brushing up on punctuation. ;)

:muggy:

The guy who chastised me today about supposedly being "better than that".  

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I prefer the extra space in restaurants, miss the buzz and spontaneity of the pub, but have draft at home so that softens the blow. I don't even notice the lack of crowds at football now, and if anything the players seem to be playing with a bit less fear. The extra games on telly is handy too.  There's certainly things I'll miss when normal service is resumed.

Masturbation with only the one hand just won't be the same.

:sob:

Won't it. 

Governor Tarkin

Won't it. 

I can't say for certain as I've never tried. Strictly ten-knuckle-shuffle every time. 👐

Good luck, though.

Let us know how you get on. 👍

2 hours ago, Adam_the_legend said:

I think the purpose of this slide earlier was to justify schools staying open. 

7F9AEB01-A76E-4294-A40D-0DC18A1CC8DD.png

Makes sense I suppose, apart from older kids.

4 hours ago, graygo said:

A bit sanctimonious of you, I've already said as much.

It was intended as a dig at our resident arsehole from Hamilton and yes, it backfired.

Yes it backfired, in your haste to score points on a forum which is loaded with arseholes. 

Dont see why the guy from Hamilton gets singled out when others are just as bad. 

The thing that is irritating people is that he is right in what he is saying about face masks. He might be going over the score at times but the basic fact is correct. 

7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Yes it backfired, in your haste to score points on a forum which is loaded with arseholes. 

Dont see why the guy from Hamilton gets singled out when others are just as bad. 

The thing that is irritating people is that he is right in what he is saying about face masks. He might be going over the score at times but the basic fact is correct. 

The jury is out about three effectiveness of masks , most people wear them cause they don’t wAnt the hassle of being pulled up by joe public if not wearing one , or some believe them to be very effective . I wear mine for the former

3 hours ago, luckydug said:

You could have saved yourself a whole lot of words and just typed the last sentence.

The rest is just waffle.

Edited by graygo

47 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18759049.coronavirus-circuit-breaker-explored-scotland/

Circuit break in October being explored , Jason Leith admits it solves nothing, and is little more than about buying time. 

I find it strange that they think it will buy anytime considering how quickly COVID rates rose after months of a full lockdown. Whilst, if they believe adherence to social distancing is the most important factor, this policy is likely to increase rule breakers not improve. 

It is what it is I suppose and can hope it doesn’t come about

It was never going to be anything but an intervention to buy time.   One of these seems hugely out of place and a big like bringing a water pistol to a gunfight.    Several of them would represent more of a thought out plan.   Either way,  it can only be of benefit if there's something 'game changing' in the pipeline.

The bit in bold is interesting in that quite a few insisted that there was no quick rising of covid rates after the end of lockdown.   They,  to me anyway,  appeared to believe it was staying low.   Different to the previous emergency situation.   Weakening.   

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

They deployed this tactic last time - sow the seeds in the press, warn that it might have to happen, and then do it. It has already been decided. If they close the schools again (in spite of Swinney's admission of 'minuscule' transmission) I lose my job.

As Leitch - who is coming across more and more as a political/politicised figure, especially with this nonsense term of 'the science' - says himself, this is not the solution. Calling it a circuit breaker is a deflection tactic designed to appease those who nod along with these increasingly ill-thought out, damaging decrees.

As well as saying it's not the answer,  he also said it's "a help on the way".   Help on the way to what?   The inference is that it's on the way to the answer.   The crucial thing is whether or not there is a credible answer in view.

The terminology is irrelevant.

Edited by Victorian

Businesses / employers certainly can ill afford another lockdown of longer duration or of undefined duration.   I wonder if a shorter one,  even if it's the first in a series,  enables businesses to retain at least some confidence in viability going forward.   There surely has to be a good package of financial support schemes to go with it though.

Adam_the_legend
30 minutes ago, jonesy said:

They deployed this tactic last time - sow the seeds in the press, warn that it might have to happen, and then do it. It has already been decided. If they close the schools again (in spite of Swinney's admission of 'minuscule' transmission) I lose my job.

As Leitch - who is coming across more and more as a political/politicised figure, especially with this nonsense term of 'the science' - says himself, this is not the solution. Calling it a circuit breaker is a deflection tactic designed to appease those who nod along with these increasingly ill-thought out, damaging decrees.

Aye, despite sturgeons protestations that nothing is decided and it’s simply under consideration it would not surprise me that it’s already in motion. My biggest worry about a “circuit breaker” is if the numbers don’t change after a fortnight do we really believe Scot gov will let us out? No. Once we’re in we’ll be in until numbers drop which could be months. I expect much less acceptance of heavy restrictions than the spring. 

Horatio Caine

As we found out, it's easy (relatively) to impose a lockdown but much harder to come back out of it.  So unless there is a coherent and sensible exit strategy, there's no point.  The virus will just get going again. 

The Internet
6 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Jezza Corbyn has had to apologise after he attended a dinner party for the many, not the few.

I know this is the times we live in and all that but it was still surreal hearing on the radio this morning that someone had been fined for attending a dinner party with 8 people :lol:

7 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

As we found out, it's easy (relatively) to impose a lockdown but much harder to come back out of it.  So unless there is a coherent and sensible exit strategy, there's no point.  The virus will just get going again. 

Almost everybody understands that.   Even the experts openly admit it.   Suppression is not the game changer and it never has been thought of as such.   It's very obvious that the governments and the pool of advisors don't relish the prospect of months of winter with CV,  flu and all of the other demands on the NHS all compounding together.    Even without an imminent game changer ahead,  the winter season alone is perhaps enough of a concern to necessitate a period of suppression.

Lockdowns of defined duration and with advance notice?   Better for business to be able to plan.   But god only knows what kind piss-taking will take place before and during them.

6 hours ago, graygo said:

You could have saved yourself a whole lot of words and just typed the last sentence.

The rest is just waffle.

Most of the posts on this thread are just waffle. 

People pretending they know what they are talking about. 

People pretending full stop. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic